The Quest for 91

Devils Pride 26

I'm gonna predict the remaining games.

Flyers: Loss - They're red hot right now.

Panthers: Win - They suck.

Lightning: Win - They've been in a freefall since January.

Bruins: Loss - We never beat them anymore unless they hand the game to us like earlier this year.

Wild: Win - Scoring problems.

Rangers: Loss - Playing too well, and they added a star winger at the deadline.

Maple Leafs: Win - Bad defense.

Coyotes: Win - Not playing well at all right now.

Islanders: Win - They suck.

Panthers: Win - They suck.

Sabres: Win - They suck.

Capitals: Loss - Still a very talented team albeit inconsistent.

Hurricanes: Win - Bad team.

Flames: Win - Bad team.

Senators: Win - Bad defense and they're inconsistent.

Islanders: Win - They suck.

Bruins : Loss - Great team.

Lists like this are pointless.  For one, teams that are higher-up in the standings lose to lower teams all of the time.  Are the Devils so much better than "they suck" teams that they should penciled in for wins against them?  Because now all of a sudden you seem to think the Devils are an automatic against every team you deem to have weaknesses.  And you're not taking the end of the season into account at all.  Boston may not even need that final game, so they might very well punt that one and rest some guys.   

What the Devils have shown is that they have a way of being competitive most might regardless of the level of their opponent, but there's almost no rhyme or reason as to who they're going to beat or lose to.  And of course, if the defense and especially the goaltending doesn't pull their acts together soon, the rest will become trivial in a hurry, unless you think the Devils are going to average 4+ GPG on offense the rest of the season. 

we need to win these 3  games and get to 75 pts fast. without a few 3 and 4 game winning streaks we are going home for the POs

I'll take 3 or 4 out 6 in these next three, but after that, the winning streak(s) have to come.  Devils have a lot of home games (10 out of 14 to finish the season) and they've been pretty good in their own building.  If they can't piece something good together then, out of such a favorable schedule, then they don't deserve to get there. 

Carolina was one of the teams ahead of the Devils (with games in hand no less) not too long ago.  Not "all of the teams ahead" of the Devils are going to go on hot streaks.   

92 points seems like a reasonable line to draw in the sand at this point.  Will that 100% guarantee a playoff berth?  No.  But I can't see the squeak-in total being that much higher, and I can't expect the Devils to go any better than 11-5-1, 10-4-3, or 9-3-5.  Hopefully 92 is enough.   

thats a bit like saying... there's 16 dudes running a 20k marathon, starting at 2pm (take around 2 hrs usually)... the first 8 or wtv makes it. A few guys are leaving 4-5 minutes late... But if they get at the finish line by 4:02pm, they "should" be in the top 8 and thats what they should gun for.

It's SOOOO up in air

thats a bit like saying... there's 16 dudes running a 20k marathon, starting at 2pm (take around 2 hrs usually)... the first 8 or wtv makes it. A few guys are leaving 4-5 minutes late... But if they get at the finish line by 4:02pm, they "should" be in the top 8 and thats what they should gun for.

It's SOOOO up in air

Don't twist what I'm saying into one of your silly analogies.  I didn't say anything about the Devils themselves "gunning" for 92 points...basically I'm saying, based on what I've seen from this team to date, I can't possibly expect the Devils to finish with much more than that.  Of course they should "gun" for as many points as they can get, doesn't take a genius to see that, duh.  But as far as coming up with a fair and reasonable point total that seems to have a pretty good shot (again, no guarantee) to get the Devils into the playoffs (but is still going to take some serious work on their part), from a pure fan's perspective, 92 is what I'm coming up with...if it takes more than that, then the Devils are probably screwed, and you can spend the offseason doing some classic SD hindsight-bitching about how Lou should've traded this guy and that guy for prospects and picks, because he should've known all along that his team wasn't going to make the playoffs.  

Don't twist what I'm saying into one of your silly analogies.  I didn't say anything about the Devils themselves "gunning" for 92 points...basically I'm saying, based on what I've seen from this team to date, I can't possibly expect the Devils to finish with much more than that.  Of course they should "gun" for as many points as they can get, doesn't take a genius to see that, duh.  But as far as coming up with a fair and reasonable point total that seems to have a pretty good shot (again, no guarantee) to get the Devils into the playoffs (but is still going to take some serious work on their part), from a pure fan's perspective, 92 is what I'm coming up with...if it takes more than that, then the Devils are probably screwed, and you can spend the offseason doing some classic SD hindsight-bitching about how Lou should've traded this guy and that guy for prospects and picks, because he should've known all along that his team wasn't going to make the playoffs.  

see. you're absolutely obsess with me and can't pass on any opportunity to bring back stuff that i said in the past about Lou. You're 110% obsess, you simply can't help it. Pretty damn lame from someone who starts a post with "dont twist what im saying" and that's what you wake up in the morning to do, to twist stuff i said in the pastand bring it up at any single chance you get.

I'll take it as a compliment though, seeing that im so important in your life eventhough we've never met is somehow rewarding, means i did something right.

92 is the level it's taken to get in the top eight most years since the lockout, it's not an unreasonable goal to shoot for though as a bare minimum IMO. I do think past seasons are kind of irrelevant now adding Detroit and Columbus in the East and the number will be higher this year though.

I said the same thing early in the season when everyone was going gaga about how low the cutoff line was, and I said it always rises during the year and it did so again.

see. you're absolutely obsess with me and can't pass on any opportunity to bring back stuff that i said in the past about Lou. You're 110% obsess, you simply can't help it. Pretty damn lame from someone who starts a post with "dont twist what im saying" and that's what you wake up in the morning to do, to twist stuff i said in the pastand bring it up at any single chance you get.

I'll take it as a compliment though, seeing that im so important in your life eventhough we've never met is somehow rewarding, means i did something right.

You talking about someone being obsessed lol. Maybe if you didn't have the same two or three talking points ALL the time people wouldn't bring it up in response.

Oh please, my first post in reponse to you today had nothing to do with any of that, all I said was that not everyone ahead of the Devils was going to go on hot streaks and leave them in the dust (also pointed out one team in the Hurricanes that's faded), and that 92 points seemed like a reasonable, NON-GUARANTEED total to hope for as a fan that was both possible to attain and be good enough to nab a berth.  You came back with one of your goofy examples that completely missed and twisted the point I was going for.  

Enough with the obsessed crap...I don't respond to you nearly as directly as you seem to like to believe, and I'm fairly active on here.  Take a look at all of your posts and you'll see I don't respond often.  And the stuff about Lou is hardly in the past...you still bitch about his MO either directly or indirectly, and if the Devils don't make the playoffs this season, I expect you'll be doing it a lot more. 

92 is the level it's taken to get in the top eight most years since the lockout, it's not an unreasonable goal to shoot for though as a bare minimum IMO. I do think past seasons are kind of irrelevant now adding Detroit and Columbus in the East and the number will be higher this year though.

I said the same thing early in the season when everyone was going gaga about how low the cutoff line was, and I said it always rises during the year and it did so again.

You talking about someone being obsessed lol. Maybe if you didn't have the same two or three talking points ALL the time people wouldn't bring it up in response.

Yeah cause that makes sense, if im sick of watching TV cause all you see is sh!tty reality show. I'm not gonna go online and download sh!tty reality show lol. I'm gonna try to avoid it

Oh please, my first post in reponse to you today had nothing to do with any of that, all I said was that not everyone ahead of the Devils was going to go on hot streaks and leave them in the dust (also pointed out one team in the Hurricanes that's faded), and that 92 points seemed like a reasonable, NON-GUARANTEED total to hope for as a fan that was both possible to attain and be good enough to nab a berth.  You came back with one of your goofy examples that completely missed and twisted the point I was going for.  

Enough with the obsessed crap...I don't respond to you nearly as directly as you seem to like to believe, and I'm fairly active on here.  Take a look at all of your posts and you'll see I don't respond often.  And the stuff about Lou is hardly in the past...you still bitch about his MO either directly or indirectly, and if the Devils don't make the playoffs this season, I expect you'll be doing it a lot more. 

Then why have a whole topic and discussions about reaching "something" that might not even give us anything? lol That's my whole point and not really an unfair question. What really matters is what we're gonna do and other teams will do, not about numbers really.

And exactly how many times are we gonna have to go through this discussion about NOT bringing back stuff i said in the past? ESPECIALLY when it had NOTHING to do with my post, you simply keep on bringing it back all the time, poking the sleeping bear. Yet you keep on doing it even though you said you'd stop.

Then why have a whole topic and discussions about reaching "something" that might not even give us anything? lol That's my whole point and not really an unfair question. What really matters is what we're gonna do and other teams will do, not about numbers really.

And exactly how many times are we gonna have to go through this discussion about NOT bringing back stuff i said in the past? ESPECIALLY when it had NOTHING to do with my post, you simply keep on bringing it back all the time, poking the sleeping bear. Yet you keep on doing it even though you said you'd stop.

It's not really so hard to understand.  I (and some others) would rather pick out a season point total that makes sense based on what everyone else has done to date, as opposed to checking the standings every single day and constantly worrying about what everyone else is doing.  When this many teams are still in the mix, things change damned near daily, and it's too easy to say the Devils must win this game and that game, or to see the standings and feel pretty good one day, then lousy the next (based on one Devil loss and a couple of teams around them winning on any given night).  I'd rather not constantly adjust my expectations on a daily basis.  I'd rather just worry about the Devils, and yes, I do believe 92 points has a very good chance to get them in, and if they can pull that off, everything else will take care of itself.  So I'm more concerned with the Devils finding a way to get at least that many than with what every other team is or isn't doing. 

If I wanted to refer to your past, I'd bring up Parise, which I didn't.  Like NJDevs4978 said, you do have a way of hitting on the same stuff a lot (not always directly), and like others have noted, you do it with a lot of hindsight.  It's pretty hard not to expect you to do it again if the Devils don't get in, even if the Devils are right in the playoff hunt until the very last game, only to come up just short.  You should probably get used to the fact that, for the moment, after a long stretch of the playoffs being a formality, the Devils are back in early 90s mode, having to claw their way into the playoffs.       

It's not really so hard to understand.  I (and some others) would rather pick out a season point total that makes sense based on what everyone else has done to date, as opposed to checking the standings every single day and constantly worrying about what everyone else is doing.  When this many teams are still in the mix, things change damned near daily, and it's too easy to say the Devils must win this game and that game, or to see the standings and feel pretty good one day, then lousy the next (based on one Devil loss and a couple of teams around them winning on any given night).  I'd rather not constantly adjust my expectations on a daily basis.  I'd rather just worry about the Devils, and yes, I do believe 92 points has a very good chance to get them in, and if they can pull that off, everything else will take care of itself.  So I'm more concerned with the Devils finding a way to get at least that many than with what every other team is or isn't doing. 

If I wanted to refer to your past, I'd bring up Parise, which I didn't.  Like NJDevs4978 said, you do have a way of hitting on the same stuff a lot (not always directly), and like others have noted, you do it with a lot of hindsight.  It's pretty hard not to expect you to do it again if the Devils don't get in, even if the Devils are right in the playoff hunt until the very last game, only to come up just short.  You should probably get used to the fact that, for the moment, after a long stretch of the playoffs being a formality, the Devils are back in early 90s mode, having to claw their way into the playoffs.       

Dude i knew back in October that we wouldnt make the playoffs this season. Not as it it's gonna be a shocker to me. I was very well prepared and almost already accepted that we'd miss the playoffs this season long time ago while most we're still trying to sugarcoat our losses with great great shooting percentage and sh!t like that lol

To me 92 points isn't so much a hang up as it is a reminder that we just need to take care of our own business. TCB, Elvis style.

It's not like I lie awake at night thinking how we're going to get to 92, it's just that we need to concentrate on winning our games before we think about the out of town scoreboard.

Hypothetically, we can win every one of our last 17 games and miss the playoffs, but such a scenario is so unrealistic that it's silly to argue that fans who still have playoff hopes shouldn't consider 92 points a goal.

SD if you don't have playoff hopes (or apparently never did) that's fine but let us optimistic fans have a thread in peace!

Dude i knew back in October that we wouldnt make the playoffs this season. Not as it it's gonna be a shocker to me. I was very well prepared and almost already accepted that we'd miss the playoffs this season long time ago while most we're still trying to sugarcoat our losses with great great shooting percentage and sh!t like that lol

Based on what?  The need to see the dark side?  It seemed 50-50 to me.  For one, the team had some new faces, including a pretty signficant one in goal, and some names in Jagr, Ryder, and Brunner that were, at the very least, somewhat intriguing.  For another, their overall goaltending figured to improve significantly, with Hedberg out and Schneider in.   

I still think it's about 50-50.  They've gone a very respectable 16-9-7 in their last 32 GP.  It's not great, but that's actually an 100-point pace over 82 games.  They can't continue at that pace if they want to make the playoffs, but it's not like they have to do THAT much better.  But like I've said, they can't have any prolonged .500ish stretches.  The winning streak that seems to keep eluding them has to happen at some point.       

Based on what?  The need to see the dark side?  It seemed 50-50 to me.  For one, the team had some new faces, including a pretty signficant one in goal, and some names in Jagr, Ryder, and Brunner that were, at the very least, somewhat intriguing.  For another, their overall goaltending figured to improve significantly, with Hedberg out and Schneider in.   

I still think it's about 50-50.  They've gone a very respectable 16-9-7 in their last 32 GP.  It's not great, but that's actually an 100-point pace over 82 games.  They can't continue at that pace if they want to make the playoffs, but it's not like they have to do THAT much better.  But like I've said, they can't have any prolonged .500ish stretches.  The winning streak that seems to keep eluding them has to happen at some point.       

There's definitely potential for that winning streak to occur very soon.  After Toronto, they have a stretch of the Coyotes, Islanders, Panthers, Sabres, Capitals, Hurricanes, Flames, Senators, and Islanders.  They then have their final game against Boston.

Their next 7 games are the key to this season imo.

Philly, Florida, Tampa, Boston, Minny, Rags, and Toronto.  They really need to go at least 4-2-1 during that stretch.  If we do that, we should be in good shape as following this upcoming stretch is a very light remaining schedule.

I also believe the Devils are due for a winning streak eventually.  Even the worst teams in the league have had multiple 3+ game winning streaks during the season.  The Devils have had one 3 game winning streak this season.

Edited by Mike Brown

based on a very average roster and losing our top 3 scorers and based on missing the playoffs the year before. Also based on i had no idea Jagr would produce this much. The whole hockey world had us penciled at the bottom and for once it wasnt unfair.

based on a very average roster and losing our top 3 scorers and based on missing the playoffs the year before. Also based on i had no idea Jagr would produce this much. The whole hockey world had us penciled at the bottom and for once it wasnt unfair.

Except they're not at the bottom.  They're still very much in playoff contention...if they were truly a bottom-feeder, they'd be out of it already...hell, one can argue that the one thing killing them the most is their lack of success in shootouts. 

Yeah, didn't expect this much from Jagr, but expected a little more from Ryder and Brunner. 

Except they're not at the bottom.  They're still very much in playoff contention...if they were truly a bottom-feeder, they'd be out of it already...hell, one can argue that the one thing killing them the most is their lack of success in shootouts. 

Yeah, didn't expect this much from Jagr, but expected a little more from Ryder and Brunner. 

Well yeah they are exceeding my expectations thats for sure, but im not gonna sit here and he hypocrite that i thought they'd do well and all. Before the season i was saying they had an "interesting" roster with decent depth but that the system would be the reason they'd be good or not and that i'd have to wait and see how they actually play together.

I guess it's a decent team but the lack of skills is showing. But im trying to look at this whole team realistically and thats why i was hoping we wouldnt sell too much at the deadline cause we CLEARLY need to find offence for the future SOMEHOW and i guess at this point the sooner we're at the sooner Lou can get at it and figure something out.

The schedule is in our favor.

cant really go by that as weve beaten some tough teams this season and have rolled over and died to the bottom feeders.. just have to hope the team continues to play strong and get some wins they know what they have to do

cant really go by that as weve beaten some tough teams this season and have rolled over and died to the bottom feeders.. just have to hope the team continues to play strong and get some wins they know what they have to do

You should see my post earlier in the thread.  It's post #10 in the thread to be exact.  Granted, things have changed since I made that post.  But it's essentially me saying that the whole idea of us not playing well against the bottom teams is overstated.

Edited by Mike Brown

You should see my post earlier in the thread.  It's post #10 in the thread to be exact.  Granted, things have changed since I made that post.  But it's essentially me saying that the whole idea of us not playing well against the bottom teams is overstated.

you all together just talk way too much its overbearing.. not combing through a thread to try and find one of your million posts

The shootout is killing us.  The average team has received 4.6 points from shootouts, of which the Devils have none.

Obviously it'll never come back, but if games ended in a tie after OT, the Devils would currently be fourth in the conference.