We Got Rutuu

Daniel

I'm good with this, but i'm not thrilled about losing Loktionov. A lot of people had started to sour on him but i've always loved the kid, easily a 3rd line center with youth for Carolina.

Why? Anyone really think Loktionov is not KHL bound next season? I do. I don't even consider this a loss.

I have nothing against Ruutu. I'd be estatic if they get the Ruutu who can put up 50 points. It's just that contract even with 20% taken off for a player who has 9 goals in his last 71 games. A rental is one thing, but it's a waste of that cap hit when it could be used in July for something that could help more, especially if Ruutu is now on the wrong side of his career. If Lamoriello thought Ruutu's intangibles were as important as adding an offensive player, he's fvcking senile.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Look, I've been clear with you and if you don't like it, too bad. You've set a precedent and you're going to live with it until you can form a fvcking thought and stick with it in a clear manner without it being open to interpretation each time. 

Answer my question.  Do you know the difference between "could have" and "was / is"?

The #canes retained 20% of Tuomo Ruutu's remaining contract in the trade with #NJDevils.

So it's a 3.8 million contract for us.

Nice!  That's just shy of a million dollars taken off his cap hit!

Why? Anyone really think Loktionov is not KHL bound next season? I do. I don't even consider this a loss.

I have nothing against Ruutu. I'd be estatic if they get the Ruutu who can put up 50 points. It's just that contract even with 20% taken off for a player who has 9 goals in his last 71 games. A rental is one thing, but it's a waste of that cap hit when it could be used in July for something that could help more, especially if Ruutu is now on the wrong side of his career. If Lamoriello thought Ruutu's intangibles were as important as adding an offensive player, he's fvcking senile.

Where are you getting this 50 points. Ruutu only scored more than 50 points twice in his NHL career and the next highest total was 44 points. He's a borderline 3rd line, average 4th line guy at the very best.

Where are you getting this 50 points. Ruutu only scored more than 50 points twice in his NHL career and the next highest total was 44 points. He's a borderline 3rd line, average 4th line guy at the very best.

Ruutu scored 50 points twice in his career. If the Devils receive that production, i'd be ecstatic. What's difficult to understand here?

Ruutu scored 50 points twice in his career. If the Devils receive that production, i'd be ecstatic. What's difficult to understand here?

He's played 10 seasons. That's what's difficult to understand. Besides constant injuries there's a 20% chance Ruutu reaches 50 points.

What the hell are you talking about, Brown? Jesus Christ, you are annoying.

Because you seem to think I contradicted myself when I said Bernier could possibly be a decent offensive player aka 50 point player, but then I said Ruutu is a better offensive and defensive player than Bernier.

Edited by Mike Brown

What the hell are you talking about, Brown? Jesus Christ, you are annoying.

Why do you feel the need to come on here and insult people and pick fights? Not good form, and certainly not good form for a new poster.

Not blaming you only, but this is the third one I have seen from you in two days.

Edited by Neb00rs

Because you seem to think I contradicted myself when I said Bernier could possibly be a decent offensive player aka 50 point player, but then I said Ruutu is a better offensive and defensive player than Bernier.

Both are 4th liners that have stellar seasons if they reach over 35 points.

Why do you feel the need to come on here and insult people and pick fights? Not good form, and certainly not good form for a new poster.

Why do you need to care so much what other people do that doesn't concern you? You love to play holier-then-thou and this caste system philosophy you use as leverage is not intimidating. If you don't like it, there's ignore. Use it even though it's a relatively useless feature.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Both are 4th liners that have stellar seasons if they reach over 35 points.

Rutuu is more of a 3rd line player capable of filling in on a top 6 role.  He's more ideal on the 3rd line though.  I'd argue Ruutu has a better shot at reaching 40 points than Bernier though.

Go back and read my replies to you why i felt you did what you did, again. I'm not repeating myself so you can pad your post totals. It's bad enough i did.

I refuse to judge this trade until I see how he fits our system. One teams garbage is another teams missing piece. He will not be used on the PP and isn't needed there. He plays heavy along the boards, plays physical and was very effective for Finland at the Olympics. He is coming off two 2013 hip surgery's so he may actually come into camp healthy and return to 2012 form, he already has appeared to be catching his stride. If Ruutu was completely healthy and a 40+ point player he would have cost a lot more than this.

Rutuu is more of a 3rd line player capable of filling in on a top 6 role.  He's more ideal on the 3rd line though.  I'd argue Ruutu has a better shot at reaching 40 points than Bernier though.

It's spelled Ruutu. Not being a dick, but spell his name right before becoming his biggest cheerleader. Ruutu is a third liner only if he can stay healthy. He's slow and like Jason said he's coming off two hip surgerys. Two me that says an older and slower injury prone player added to an already old and slow Devils roster.

It's spelled Ruutu. Not being a dick, but spell his name right before becoming his biggest cheerleader. Ruutu is a third liner only if he can stay healthy. He's slow and like Jason said he's coming off two hip surgerys. Two me that says an older and slower injury prone player added to an already old and slow Devils roster.

Not being a dick, but you could use spelling lessons of your own.

Anyways, he may have health issues.  But it is what it is.  He can play in a top 6 role.  He may not be the biggest point producer, but he'll make the forecheck more effective with his physicality.  We won't rely solely on stick checks and interceptions to keep offensive zone pressure.

I refuse to judge this trade until I see how he fits our system. One teams garbage is another teams missing piece. He will not be used on the PP and isn't needed there. He plays heavy along the boards, plays physical and was very effective for Finland at the Olympics. He is coming off two 2013 hip surgery's so he may actually come into camp healthy and return to 2012 form, he already has appeared to be catching his stride. If Ruutu was completely healthy and a 40+ point player he would have cost a lot more than this.

I think he'll fit the system like a glove.  I just think that when you get down to whether or not a player will fit your system, you can't outlay $4M in the next two years for this sort of player, not when you have other needs.

Fayne, a pick and a prospect could have brought back something decent.

Giving up Fayne, a pick, and a prospect would have been the most absurd, sh!t-for-brains thing Lou could've done. You must be on drugs.

Edited by thecoffeecake

Giving up Fayne, a pick, and a prospect would have been the most absurd, sh!t-for-brains thing Lou could've done. You must be on drugs.

How do you figure? UFA, midlevel prospect and a 2nd/3rd could've gotten something significant back.

That doesn't seem absurd at all.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

How do you figure? UFA, midlevel prospect and a 2nd/3rd could've gotten something significant back.

Especially with the market today.  I'm still laughing at the Vanek trade.

Not in his world. I told you before, you do not understand his style. If you do, then you'd understand where the half dozen or so people who have said the same exact things i've said are coming from.

I understand his style. He's pissed me off plenty. But, like I've said before. I'm not going to sh!t on him because it's become the fashionable thing to do. You are just going out of you're way to catch him making contradictory arguments, which he has done before, but here he has not. You are the one using semantics, trying to tell him what he has said, or what his argument has been.

Again. One last time. Saying that Steve Bernier COULD or that he COULD SEE Steve Bernier scoring fifty points, and then saying right now, Tuomo Ruutu IS better than Steve Bernier are two totally different ideas. I can't be any clearer.

Especially with the market today. I'm still laughing at the Vanek trade.

Exactly, if that trade was indicative of the market for forwards it sure seems like SOMEONE with more scoring touch than Rutuu could've been acquired.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I'm not ready to give up a top pairing defensman in his mid twenties, a draft pick in the top three rounds that we desperately need, and a prospect for a thirty year old scorer who probably wont work in our system, wants too much money, and who would probably walk at the end of his contract. No thank you. I think we're thin enough in the prospects/picks department. We're a better team keeping Fayne and future assets.

Besides, how much more satisfying is when the core of the team is a group of homegrown guys who have been in the black and red from day one?

Edited by thecoffeecake

I think he'll fit the system like a glove.  I just think that when you get down to whether or not a player will fit your system, you can't outlay $4M in the next two years for this sort of player, not when you have other needs.

What other needs does his cap hit prevent the Devils from attempting to fulfill?  If it's just the idea that he creates a logjam, his salary is neither here nor there.  And unless he turns into a real dumpster fire next year, he is moveable. 

I'm not ready to give up a top pairing defensman in his mid twenties, a draft pick in the top three rounds that we desperately need, and a prospect for a thirty year old scorer who probably wont work in our system, wants too much money, and who would probably walk at the end of his contract. No thank you. I think we're thin enough in the prospects/picks department. We're a better team keeping Fayne and future assets.

Fair enough, I get what you're saying.  We'll just have to agree to disagree - I definitely like Fayne as well (although I don't think he's a top pairing defenseman) but SOMEONE's gotta go, and I don't know if he's re-signed after this year anyway.  I admittedly don't know the cap situation going forward off the top of my head, but with 3.8m additional cap space locked up in Tutuu next year who knows if Fayne's even affordable.

And I'm not necessarily talking about Vanek - maybe Moulson, a Stafford-type player, who knows.  Pure speculation on my part obviously.

Edited by Devilsfan118