We Got Rutuu

Daniel

The good news?  Ruutu is in the top 20 in the NHL in hits.

The bad news?  We got a $5 million version of Steve Bernier.

Bernier is a Ruutu-Lite.  Ruutu isn't making $5m either.

What is the URL for this statement?

It was on the TSN TradeCentre ticker on NHL Network.

His sh% and on ice sh% of around 6% lends himself to a bounce back with a new team. He was very effective for Finland at the Olympics.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_statistics.php?s=1&f1=2013_s%202012_s%202011_s%202010_s%202009_s%202008_s%202007_s&f2=5v5&f3=TUOMORUUTU&c=0+1+2+3+7+8+11+12+13+14+15+16+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63#

This doesn't fill me with a ton of confidence.  doesn't appear to be a guy who really pushes the play forward (as opposed to an alexei ponikarovsky, say, whose impact is pretty clear)

More hits=more gooder.  Any word on how much salary Carolina retained?

Edit: I was not expecting Brodeur to be moved or anyone of value to be traded for. I do anticipate a bit more action from Lou during the summer. Time will tell...

Edited by Biggie B

I have a question. How exactly does retaining salary work? Is it just the team pays some of the players salary so the team receiving the player just saves actual dollars? Or does it actually split the cap hit between the two teams? I thought it split the cap hit but i could be wrong.

Um, yes he is.

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=618389

The deal will pay Ruutu $4 million in 2012-13, and $5 million per season in the 2013-14, 2014-15 and 2015-16 seasons.

I wasn't talking actual dollars.

His caphit is $4.75m.  Owners are the ones who care about the actual dollar amount.  Fans and GM's only care about caphits.

I was a big Lokti fan because it was nice to see someone with speed on this team. But I said last night to my girlfriend that the Devils needed some grit on this team. Now the contract is redic, but we were playing the trade game with zero assets. I would have preferred Lee Stempniak.

Thus summer is when Lou will work some magic.

Has anyone looked at the Islanders schedule? I hope they don't play a lot of people ahead of the Devs.

At least he knows Jagr.

Edited by hystyk28

Except Ruutu is better offensively and defensively than Bernier.

They are going to nail you for double talk there probably. Werent you one of the guys saying bernier could be like a 50point player. There is no way Ruutu is better than that lol. It might not have been you who said that, but your digging a grave if you did.

Facts you can't make up:

In 16 career playoff games, Ruutu has one goal:  2009 Game 7 vs. the Devils (one of the worst gut-punch losses in Devils' history).

I was gonna ask if Ruutu was on that 09 Carolina team. Yep, come to think of it I think he scored the first goal of the game for them that night.

They are going to nail you for double talk there probably. Werent you one of the guys saying bernier could be like a 50point player. There is no way Ruutu is better than that lol. It might not have been you who said that, but your digging a grave if you did.

Well I think Bernier COULD be a 50 point player.  Ruutu actually WAS a 50 point player.  Right now I'd say Bernier is anywhere from 15-25, possibly 30 point player.  I still think Ruutu is a 40 point player.

But wait a minute, didn't you say Bernier could play on the top line and could still fulfill that potential he showed as a rookie?

Well I think Bernier COULD be a 50 point player.  Ruutu actually WAS a 50 point player.  Right now I'd say Bernier is anywhere from 15-25, possibly 30 point player.  I still think Ruutu is a 40 point player.

glad to see lokti gone and we need to start changing some stuff up he was useless anyway.. but dont know a thing about this guy rutuu.. from the majority of what ive been reading sure sounds like majority of fans arent to thrilled

He's a physical guy who can chip in some offense.  He's good defensively as well.  Think of a Ryane Clowe type of player except Ruutu is more talented.  But like Clowe, injuries are a concern.

Edited by Mike Brown

But wait a minute, didn't you say Bernier could play on the top line and could still fulfill that potential he showed as a rookie?

Let's not get into this game again where we pick apart everything Mike Brown says - he's been a lot better lately. 

That being said, I disagree with his assessment of Bernier (he doesn't seem to have any offensive...um..anything).  I don't think he hits 50 points playing on a line with Crosby.

I'd hope Ruutu is a 40 point player, I honestly don't know enough about his game to argue one way or the other.  For the money he's earning, he better bring some serious 'intangibles' 

Oh well, it is what it is.  Might as well get on board with it.  Curious to see what he brings, though it's hard to see how he's going to improve any current weaknesses.