We now have the 30th pick

Marshall

There is no way Lou knew anything in June of 2012. Perhaps he felt that he could keep working on the league for 2 years, and present a very good case.

The rest of the league has every right to be going nuts. This is the third time Lou has really gotten away with some sketchy sh!t.

He didn't 'get away' with it...we still had a 1st reduced and lost a 3rd, still the most severe cap penalty ever.

That may mean something with the fine but means nothing vis-a-vis the pick. College programs get punished all the time for what previous administrations did.

I do think Kovy leaving and the cap recapture penalty brought to light the silliness of punishing us twice without getting the player for anywhere close to full term.

You're holding up the NCAA as your example?  The NCAA is the only sports organization categorically worse than the NHL.

The penalty was for the first contract.  The Devils would have been punished regardless of whether Kovalchuk signed a 2nd contract or not. 

Technically you are correct, although if I recall correctly, the penalty was imposed after he signed the second deal.  So had he not the second, I couldn't see Bettman imposing that severe a penalty, which was discretionary in the first place.

It's a pick that could have otherwise been packaged to move up, or get multiple lower picks. 

It could've, but hey the NHL decided to give us some strings attached to this little gift. You have to accept it as is

What this does give us is the opportunity to trade our first in 2015 at next years deadline if Lou feels like it (and is satisfied with our haul this year)

yea ok keep acting like you didnt think it was a bad decision at the time too

was not on the board back then so I don't have any evidence to point to but there have been rational arguments made why it wasn't necessarily a bad decision. It was a calculated risk that we may still lose a bit on but may be worth it depending on what Matteau becomes.

Either way I don't value draft picks as much as some do, if anything their greatest value is in trades, so IMO the fact that we couldn't use this pick as a trade chip hurts more than it being downgraded to #30.

Just glancing at other forums- other fans' butthurt over this is great.

was not on the board back then so I don't have any evidence to point to but there have been rational arguments made why it wasn't necessarily a bad decision. It was a calculated risk that we may still lose a bit on but may be worth it depending on what Matteau becomes.

Either way I don't value draft picks as much as some do, if anything their greatest value is in trades, so IMO the fact that we couldn't use this pick as a trade chip hurts more than it being downgraded to #30.

Just glancing at other forums- other fans' butthurt over this is great.

A rumor that was circulating at the time was that Lou was taking a gamble that Vasilevski or Malcolm Subban would be available at 29.  The Schneider deal indicates that Lou has been looking for Marty's successor for quite a while, which makes the scenario a bit more plausible. 

The way I see it, the league has to approve all contracts anyways right?  So, why was the first contract even approved or considered if it was cap circumvention?  Why didn't the league just say "nah, nah, nah...this isn't a valid contract...go back to the table and do it again until its right..."  Rather, now they penalize intent...I don't get it

The way I see it, the league has to approve all contracts anyways right?  So, why was the first contract even approved or considered if it was cap circumvention?  Why didn't the league just say "nah, nah, nah...this isn't a valid contract...go back to the table and do it again until its right..."  Rather, now they penalize intent...I don't get it

The league did say that, but then Devils held press conference and they signed the deal anyway.

It could've, but hey the NHL decided to give us some strings attached to this little gift. You have to accept it as is

What this does give us is the opportunity to trade our first in 2015 at next years deadline if Lou feels like it (and is satisfied with our haul this year)

Certainly not complaining about it, just noting that the strings diminish the value, which is built into the penalty.

And unless the deal would be an absolute heist, in no way, shape or form, should the Devils be trading their 2015 first rounder.  It's the type of team where the bottom could drop out at any time, and you don't want to be in the position where you're essentially trading away a generational talent, even if you could peg the Devils' chances when the trade is made at 3% of landing the number 1 overall.   It's why I think the Islanders are probably having a serious debate about opting to give up what would could very well be a top four pick in this year's draft to Buffalo for the Vanek deal instead of their 2015 first rounder. 

It's one reason why I found the penalty pretty outrageous.  The spirit of the cap circumvention penalty in the prior CBA was to punish under the table salary, like we'll secretly be putting an extra $2 million in a Swiss bank account, or we'll give your wife a $2 million per year front office job.  The CBA specifically defined that sort of thing as cap circumvention.   On the other hand, everything about the first Kovy deal was permitted, at least by the letter of the CBA.  I could understand that a line had to be drawn, but it's hard to justify such a draconian penalty when there was no clear rule that was violated.

Very nice surprise today.  I'm shocked Count Chocula softened and gave us this pick.  That penalty was a total sham anyway considering how other teams had done the exact same thing prior to the Kovy signing. 

Lou deserves a lot of blame on that one.  He was warned not to try to push that contract through.  He responded by scheduling a press conference to announce the deal that had no chance to get approved.  What did Lou think was going to happen?  I'll never understand what he was trying to accomplish with that one. 

But this is still a great day.  So glad to have this first-rounder.

this was interesting in the hockey news

The other strange part of this is it puts into question whether Devils GM Lou Lamoriello knew all along that he would get the first round pick back. When Lamoriello kept the 29th overall pick in 2012 to take Stefan Matteau instead of forfeiting it, the decision was curious. Today’s decision sheds new light on that call, though, and makes you question the NHL’s motives in overturning the penalty.

Lou has the fifth sense

Edited by grcenter47