Marty's Quote at trade deadline

EdgeControl

hahaha

What it said was : Marty!  YOU'RE OLD!  ACCEPT IT!  Accept it and work within those confines ---  or die a painful career-death in the media.

The reason I put all those other words in: 

1) I'm a  chick 

2) I'm old.  I understand what that means. If anyone younger than 40 says "Dude you're old" he has no idea what he's talking about in any specific way - just a vague "hey I put on a few pounds myself" way.  It's not at all the same as when you really start to age and it is biologically IMPOSSIBLE for things to get back to the way they were.  When your reading eyes go -- THEY AREN'T COMING BACK!  Hard work and eye exercises will not get your sight back.  Other things like your reaction time, will not magically come back once it's gone.

Us oldies know what you were saying, PK

See if you cut out the first 4 games of Brodeur's season - you know, the ones where he was awful and cost NJ a shot to win in all 4 - then Brodeur was better at that point.

You mean we shouldn't count the entire month of October, when Marty's save percentage was .879 and his GAA was over 3.00?  Then yes, his number were better than Cory's.  :giggle:

Brodeur I'm sure remembers how Terreri behaved towards him when he came up. And while Chris wasn't a great goaltender at the time, he was our goaltender and a quality one at that. I don't remember Terreri being this difficult to deal with from 1993-1995 as the reigns were turned over to Marty. 

I wish he would just accept the team cannot afford to wait for him to hit on a good streak.  Streaky is not an option - it's his job to work around that not the teams job to be patient with him. 

and I HATE that quote -- I'm not going to be mad at Cory I'm going to mad an SOMEONE ELSE.

YOURSELF YOU DUMB sh!t!  BE MAD AT YOURSELF!  :rant:

Sure Marty isn't that bad -- but not so bad isn't an option on ANY professional sports team much less a struggling one. 

Inconsistent has NEVER been an option - why must the team be patient wiht his finding his groove?  Why shoudl the present make way for the faded past?  It's illogical.  I HATE how he's saying he refuses to accept personal responsibility. 

CONSISTENCY AND ACCOUNTABILITY HAS ALWAYS BEEN THE DEVILS WAY!!!  It's not some big surprise.   <_<

It is very difficult to understand what he meant "I'm not going to be mad at Cory I'm going to mad an SOMEONE ELSE." I can't see him being mad at himself, that's not Marty, he must blame someone.  So who is left, Pete  or Lou? I thought he had a good relationship with Lou but maybe he felt Lou blindsided him and put him in this situation. Actually Lou offer Marty a one year contract and Marty forced Lou to sign a two year deal. Lou's hands were tied and Marty knew it. So Marty, here is the question on the fans minds, What did you mean? BTW Marty, we don't care, and you did that to yourself.

We never saw Marty as a ME guy because he didnt' have to be -- everyone was a Marty guy... now that no one is we see how self-centered and blind to his own faults the dude really is.  an no one is going to help him out of this by telling him the hard truth in a way he HAS to hear it.

PK the truth, I did, that's why I got the name "Broken Record" finally it comes out.

Brodeur I'm sure remembers how Terreri behaved towards him when he came up. And while Chris wasn't a great goaltender at the time, he was our goaltender and a quality one at that. I don't remember Terreri being this difficult to deal with from 1993-1995 as the reigns were turned over to Marty. 

Well, to be fair, Terreri didn't spend 20 years as the unchallenged starter with a historically successful run. It's pretty obvious Marty was going to have a tough time with this, but I don't think a lot of people were expecting it to get quite THIS bad.

It's starting to look like Marty expected that he would remain unchallenged and that Lou would figure out the goalie thing when he left, which is just not realistic.

Edited by Devil Dan 56

And not for nothing but all the **** Kovy got for ruining the team concept, what MB30's pulled this year was far worse than anything Kovy ever did while he was here.

the notion that kovalchuk "ruined" any team concept is laughable. he didn't play all 2 minutes of the PP, get double shifted and play in all situations because he demanded it to the detriment of the team. i'm not even convinced he demanded any of it. i do know that he got those things because he was the best fvcking player on the team (not trying to start an argument over whether it was him, or parise, or zajac, or elias).

it has to stop with brodeur. he had a dead cat bounce for 10 games which brings him closer to the pack but STILL keeps him as the worst goaltender in the league statistically.

Chris was decent to good, but not really much better than that.  He was definitely classy about the transition (he was also very classy when the organization kept trying to give Sean Burke chances to pull it together at Terreri's expense), but I think sometimes you just know the guy coming up is simply that much better than you, and there's no fighting the inevitable.  Chris' finest moment was definitely the '94 playoffs, when he was the winning goalie in Games 3 and 4 of the Round 2 series against Boston.  He was definitely one of the important "transition" players in Devil history, as the team was fighting for respect.   

This is so spot-on. If Marty 'just wanted to play' and really just wanted to keep living the lifestyle of an NHL player and be part of a team and have that camaraderie with his teammates- all the things NHL players love about being NHL players- he'd understand the situation, be willing to take a back seat for the good of the team, and help Cory out if he needs it. Be happy playing 20-25 games and being a backup and understand the situation is what it is. He isn't doing that. Instead he runs to Lou and cries that he wants and expects playoff games. Ya know what- fvck you Marty. That would've been my reply to him and his sense of entitlement. All he cares about is being THE guy, and that's clearer than ever. Its all about Marty, and that's sad.

I love it "fvck you Marty"

I feel awful for Cory.  I'm seriously wondering how he feels about this.  Does anybody also know of the relationship between him and Marty is?  I know him and Luongo are still good friends from what I can tell.

Don't feel awful, Cory has two places to go at least, Vancouver and NJ but there will be many more offers. I wish Cory the best and say Lou you screwed up this deal by not stepping on Marty.

Why would Cory sign mid summer 2014 not knowing if Marty will be back doing the same sh&#33;t.

Thanks Cory for showing there is a life after Marty Brodeur.

Don't feel awful, Cory has two places to go at least, Vancouver and NJ but there will be many more offers. I wish Cory the best and say Lou you screwed up this deal by not stepping on Marty.

Why would Cory sign mid summer 2014 not knowing if Marty will be back doing the same sh!t.

Thanks Cory for showing there is a life after Marty Brodeur.

i'm not terribly concerned that this affects cory's decision. at MOST, marty gets next year here when there's nowhere else for him to go but there's no way his play can even be as "good" as it is now so he'll be getting 20 games at most.

there's plenty of money in the banana stand now - lou can and should offer cory an 8/$50MM or so deal and I think schneider takes it. even after this year, he won't have ever started 60 games in a season and to be getting that is tough to turn down. he'll get 60 games next year and its very possible his numbers aren't as good as this year.

I think this has been my least favorite year as a Devils fan. From the start before the season with the Kovy nonsense, to the whole new owners debacle, to the goal song nonsense and now to this non-stop Marty nonsense and to a group of lackluster players of several who I just don't like. By far my least favorite year.

i'm not terribly concerned that this affects cory's decision. at MOST, marty gets next year here when there's nowhere else for him to go but there's no way his play can even be as "good" as it is now so he'll be getting 20 games at most.

there's plenty of money in the banana stand now - lou can and should offer cory an 8/$50MM or so deal and I think schneider takes it. even after this year, he won't have ever started 60 games in a season and to be getting that is tough to turn down. he'll get 60 games next year and its very possible his numbers aren't as good as this year.

When the Devils play their last game this season, Martin Brodeur will have played his last game as a Devil

I wonder what Chris is thinking watching this go down  between Marty and Cory.

It's still too early to prognosticate Cory's future with this team.  Lou should try and extend him in the offseason though.  Don't wait until next offseason.  Hopefully extending Zajac prior to the end of his contract is a sign he'll do the same for Cory.

I think this has been my least favorite year as a Devils fan. From the start before the season with the Kovy nonsense, to the whole new owners debacle, to the goal song nonsense and now to this non-stop Marty nonsense and to a group of lackluster players of several who I just don't like. By far my least favorite year.

Agree 100%.  

'88-'89 was worse for me.  After the magic of '88, the playoff run, and having actual expectations, '88-'89 had a real WTF feel to it...and of course, hearing "same old Devils" over and over again that year wasn't fun. 

And that first half of '10-'11 was brutal. 

'88-'89 was worse for me.  After the magic of '88, the playoff run, and having actual expectations, '88-'89 had a real WTF feel to it...and of course, hearing "same old Devils" over and over again that year wasn't fun. 

And that first half of '10-'11 was brutal. 

It's been a bad season, but I've actually seen some positives this year.. the new ownership, acquisition of Cory, seeing that we have some solid defensemen waiting in the wings, etc. I think the worst year for me is still 95-96. After that 93-95 run, I was expecting great things again. That team was in a general malaise all year. Blech. And then losing to Ottawa that last game of the year....

Also, last season was pretty brutal. Half season and not a damn thing went right after that hot start.

Its really not even so much the team for me, its the circus off the ice that never feels like it has stopped that has made this year quite unenjoyable for me. I'm just tired of it.

Yup.. and that's why he won't be back next year.

..who the hell wants to deal with another trade-deadline like this one again? Or the distraction of players being asked questions about Brodeur again? As much as Lou loves Brodeur like a son.. do you really see him going though another season worrying about what Brodeur is going to say to the media for another 82 games?

19 games bro. The dysfunction ends in 19 games.

Yup.. and that's why he won't be back next year.

..who the hell wants to deal with another trade-deadline like this one again? Or the distraction of players being asked questions about Brodeur again? As much as Lou loves Brodeur like a son.. do you really see him going though another season worrying about what Brodeur is going to say to the media for another 82 games?

19 games bro. The dysfunction ends in 19 games.

I don't think Lou ever tells Brodeur when he won't be back. Marty will make that decision.

kovy just tried his hardest to switch wings and become a two way elite sniper.

kovy saw 3 coaches in 3 years

why do all these guys want out, lokti must be skipping away right now.

i have heard that parise wanted out because his wife was not happy here, just hearsay.

Maybe I'm just so indebted to Marty after his 20 years of carrying this team on his back, but I honestly don't have a problem with his actions or words here either.   So what if he went to Lou?  The coach isn't giving him the playing time he wants, and whether or not he gets it or deserves it is another thing, but who else is he going to go to?  He's also had a relationship with Lou for 20 years, whereas he's had one for just 3 years with DeBoer.    It's no different than if you wanted a raise at work and your boss doesn't think you deserve one, so instead you go to the CFO, your bosses boss, or maybe HR.  It's not "whining", it's haggling for what you think you're entitled to. 

If nothing else it still shows the guy has some fire left in him and that he wants to compete at a high level. 

kovy just tried his hardest to switch wings and become a two way elite sniper.

kovy saw 3 coaches in 3 years

why do all these guys want out, lokti must be skipping away right now.

i have heard that parise wanted out because his wife was not happy here, just hearsay.

She must have a pretty good ball grip to see her BF bringing millions homes so she wouldnt even have to work if she wanted but yet she wants to move away cause she's not happy lol

We never saw Marty as a ME guy because he didnt' have to be -- everyone was a Marty guy... now that no one is we see how self-centered and blind to his own faults the dude really is.  an no one is going to help him out of this by telling him the hard truth in a way he HAS to hear it.

PK the truth, I did, that's why I got the name "Broken Record" finally it comes out.

OK...  when you put it THAT way, I'm ashamed I went so nuts this afternoon.  My first post is more in keeping with the situation.  :blush: