2014 Miami Dolphins thread

MadDog2020

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So maddog (or anyone else), you still considering the Metlife takeover? Tix should still be available. I asked estreet if he's going. If not, I might pass since I wouldn't know anyone else there.

I may go, but I want to wait and see if the game is meaningful first. The last thing I want to do is freeze my ass off watching us play a game that has no impact on making the playoffs while being surrounded by 60,000 Jet fans.

• 2 weeks later...

Offense looked fantastic on the first drive. Awesome. And that was without Hartline, Wallace, or Clay. 10 plays right down the field. The play design looked light years ahead of anything we saw with Mike Sherman. Bill Lazor is off to a great start. Looks like we have a chance at having *GASP* a dynamic, creative offense. The Dolphins. Pretty novel concept isn't it lol? Anyway, that made the night for me. I won't even sh!t on the defense, even though the run D worries me (looked a lot like last year's run D).

Looks like I'm heading down to Miami for the opener against the Pats.  Haven't been there since '98 (also went in '97).  Looking forward to it, the Dolphin fans were very cool and friendly the other two times I went. 

Looks like I'm heading down to Miami for the opener against the Pats. Haven't been there since '98 (also went in '97). Looking forward to it, the Dolphin fans were very cool and friendly the other two times I went.

Nice have a great time CR- but of course I hope you're walking out our house a loser that day lol.

Btw where are your seats? I went to a Fins-Pats game in Miami back in 2002. I sat in the next to last row of the upper deck- I felt like I was in fvcking Foxboro with the number of Pats fans there were lol. Plus there was an incident in the parking lot that day too- a bus full of Pats fans had bottles and sh!t thrown at their bus as it was leaving the parking lot after the game. We won that day so thankfully the Pats fans were pretty quiet, but the bus thing I saw was crazy. Of course that was the year after the Pats' first SB win, so the bandwagon was in full force.

Nice have a great time CR- but of course I hope you're walking out our house a loser that day lol.

I'm 1-1 down there...both games were pretty painful...Pats won 14-12 in '97, lost 12-9 in OT in '98.  Bledsoe was absolutely awful in the '98 game:  13 for 39 for 240 yards and a pick (it was windy as hell that day)...as good as Bledsoe could be, he could REALLY drag down his team when he didn't have it...Brady was always much better at battling than Bledsoe, not even close.  Robert Edwards ran the ball 19 times for 27 yards, and would again get stuffed against Miami in their matchup (24 yards on 14 carries).  Marino had a rough game too:  23 for 42, 279 yards, 3 picks.  It was one of the uglier games I've seen.  Neither team ran the ball particularly well...they combined for less than 100 yards rushing.   

Seats are in Section 417.  Only $115 each.  My parents have a condo in Ft. Lauderdale...they just bought it a couple of months ago.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I'm 1-1 down there...both games were pretty painful...Pats won 14-12 in '97, lost 12-9 in OT in '98. Bledsoe was absolutely awful in the '98 game: 13 for 39 for 240 yards and a pick (it was windy as hell that day)...as good as Bledsoe could be, he could REALLY drag down his team when he didn't have it...Brady was always much better at battling than Bledsoe, not even close. Robert Edwards ran the ball 19 times for 27 yards, and would again get stuffed against Miami in their matchup (24 yards on 14 carries). Marino had a rough game too: 23 for 42, 279 yards, 3 picks. It was one of the uglier games I've seen. Neither team ran the ball particularly well...they combined for less than 100 yards rushing.

Seats are in Section 417. Only $115 each. My parents have a condo in Ft. Lauderdale...they just bought it a couple of months ago.

$115 seems kinda steep for 417, but it is opening day... And yeah, that '98 season was just ugly all around for Marino. It was clear he was at the end at that point, even though we still made the playoffs that season, and even though he played another year after that. I agree about Brady being a better battler than Bledsoe- Brady is extremely mentally tough, which helps to make him who he is. Gonna be a tough game for us, as it always is when we play the Pats. Can't wait.

$115 seems kinda steep for 417, but it is opening day... And yeah, that '98 season was just ugly all around for Marino. It was clear he was at the end at that point, even though we still made the playoffs that season, and even though he played another year after that. I agree about Brady being a better battler than Bledsoe- Brady is extremely mentally tough, which helps to make him who he is. Gonna be a tough game for us, as it always is when we play the Pats. Can't wait.

The tix are a lot more at Gillette (I'm usually around $200 or slightly less per ticket).  $115 feels like a bargain compared to what I'm used to paying.   

Yeah, didn't end pretty for Marino, but not too many guys see it end that way...see Brodeur, Martin.

The tix are a lot more at Gillette (I'm usually around $200 or slightly less per ticket). $115 feels like a bargain compared to what I'm used to paying.

Yeah, didn't end pretty for Marino, but not too many guys see it end that way...see Brodeur, Martin.

See the difference between Marty and Dan is this though: Dan knew he was done. He knew the tank was empty. He even had an offer to go to Minnesota to join up with Carter and Moss for a chance at a Super Bowl. Dan turned them down because he A) said it was more important to him to play his whole career in one uniform and be a Dolphin- and only a Dolphin- for life and B). He didn't think he had it in him to play at the level he expected of himself. I don't have to get into the Marty situation lol. He's basically at the complete opposite end of the spectrum in all cases here (including having already won multiple championships and still wanting to play, while Marino had no championships and didn't wanna be a ring chaser with another franchise).

I was only drawing the comparison with regards to level of play at the end of their careers, at a very general level.  Just on the field/on the ice stuff.  Was more just making a loose point that so few players get to go out like John Elway. 

I was never a huge Marino guy, but I really felt for him in that 62-7 embarrassment.  Unless one just flat-out despises Marino, it's hard to see a guy like him go out like that.  All of '99 was hard to watch, re:  Marino.  The game against Dallas that year (his first game back after having missed about a month) was also a rough one.   

I won't clog up a Dolphin thread with more Marty talk, but sadly it looks like the league (and this was always a very real possibility) is making the decision for Marty.  It'd be great if he would just announce his retirement in the next month or so, but I think he'll still be hoping for a call. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I was only drawing the comparison with regards to level of play at the end of their careers, at a very general level. Just on the field/on the ice stuff. Was more just making a loose point that so few players get to go out like John Elway.

I was never a huge Marino guy, but I really felt for him in that 62-7 embarrassment. Unless one just flat-out despises Marino, it's hard to see a guy like him go out like that. All of '99 was hard to watch, re: Marino. The game against Dallas that year (his first game back after having missed about a month) was also a rough one.

I won't clog up a Dolphin thread with more Marty talk, but sadly it looks like the league (and this was always a very real possibility) is making the decision for Marty. It'd be great if he would just announce his retirement in the next month or so, but I think he'll still be hoping for a call.

Yeah 62-7 was one of the worst days I've ever had as a sports fan. It killed me to see my favorite player of all-time go out like that. What was nice was he did win a playoff game that year, despite it being a bad final season for him. His last win was in a playoff game, so that gives me some solace lol. But Dan Marino is the main reason I became a Dolphins fan. That Jacksonville game was pretty much as painful as it got, as both a Dolphins and a Marino fan. A game I wish I could remove from my memory, along with games 6 and 7 of the 2001 Cup Final. Edited by MadDog2020

Yeah, a very good friend of mine is a HUGE Dolphin fan...he was actually the guy who came with me to Miami in '97 and '98...we even toyed with the idea of, had the Pats lost in '97, staying in Miami to watch the wild card playoff game (don't know if you remember, but the Pats and Dolphins were locked into facing each other in the WC round that season...whoever won the final regular-season matchup would host the game).  Since the Pats won, the WC was then played in NE, so we didn't stay in Miami for another weekend. 

I was actually out shopping for furniture during the 62-7 loss, but heard radio "highlights" as I was driving around.  I felt horrible for my friend.  He is just as into Marino as you are, and I know that loss was really hard for him to take. 

Like you with Marino's last playoff win making his exit a little easier, for me it's Marty's last 50 games of the 2012 season (including playoffs)...especially outplaying Lundqvist in the ECF.  It's rarely been pretty since, but at least he still a nice vintage Marty run near the end.

Fins signed Brady Quinn. I think Matt Moore could be on the way out with that $4 million cap hit.

If Matt Moore is released, I hope Doug Whaley and Buffalo scoop him up, we need a good backup in case EJ falters.

Highly doubt anything is happening with Moore now Clown, not after that performance the other night. He may have a high cap hit, but you need a good back-up. Plus Quinn is awful, he isn't making the team. We'll most likely roll with Moore as the back-up and probably put Lobato on the PS.

Important thing to note....the practice squad is upped to 10 players now this season....so plenty of room to stuff a project QB there....

amazing how the ACTUAL news gets buried while the NFL slimes on and is now trying to charge acts for the right to perform their sh!tty songs at the Super Bowl now.....