Check out what the Devils front office just sent me along with my play

Satans Hockey

I think what aggravates me about this so much is that the Devils didn't even have the decency to take 5 minutes and call me about this before sending it, mistake or not.

I was excited when I saw the email notification from the ups saying I receved an envelope from the Devils. This was the last thing I was expecting.

Edited by Satans Hockey

I think what aggravates me about this so much is that the Devils didn't even have the decency to take 5 minutes and call me about this before sending it, mistake or not.

I was excited when I saw the email notification from the ups saying I receved an envelope from the Devils. This was the last thing I was expecting.

I got my sth mail package last week.  If it took this long for anyone else to get theirs, odds are they've been 'tagged' too.

Edited by NJDevs4978

You could argue the Yankees did something similar in restricting the secondary market.

I suppose that ultimately if they want to get rid of the pure ticket brokers, there's a way to do it without being so ham handed about things. Although I still don't understand why it matters to the team. The brokers by the tix at regular season ticket holder prices, and it's not like there's a waiting list for Devils season tix, or that they're gauging the regular fan that wants to see a game.

The whole marketing plan of new ownership doesn't quite make sense to me, but I suppose we'll see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not implying that NO other team is doing this or some variation of.  But that's a lot different than: 

I guarantee you that just about every sports franchise has a similar policy in place.

And this has nothing to do with MB saying it...if ANYONE on this site had made a similar claim, I'd want to see a list of teams from that person, links, some kind of proof other than a personal "guarantee".

This whole practice comes off as very Big Brother to me on the Devils' part.  I don't like it, especially when "non-guilty" people are getting letters.

I wonder if the Sixers did anything similar...

Great question, but since that team is in tanking mode right now, if such a policy isn't yet in place, maybe they're biding their time until the team is relevant again.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

It's very HARD to be someone who sells 50% of their season's tickets; it pretty much has to be a StubHub scalper or some type of ticket reseller,

Agreed...I mean I get if you sell like thirty or more out of forty pairs then clearly that's broker-type activity 

What about someone like me? I live in Camden County so my commute to the Rock is an hour and a half each way. I also happen to work nights during the hockey season this year, but even so, I'm proud to be a season ticket holder and support the team I'm passionate about. Between the 3-hour commute that comes with every Devils home game I attend and my conflicting work schedule, I've had to sell over 50% of my games easily. Probably closer to 75% to be honest. I am about as die-hard of a Devils fan as you can possibly be, yet I should be banned from future season ticket sales because I live far away and work nights? What a joke!

Believe it or not, I didn't get the notification, which I'm shocked about because like I said, I've had to sell the majority of my tickets this season (usually not even for a profit, by the way) but I guess I'm bound to get it at some point.

i spoke with my rep for about 1/2 an hour at the last home game to go over the changes they were making to our seats in the ice lounge and just the overall philosophy of the new regime.

in short, their #1 goal is maximizing the value of their STH ticket. they don't want to discount any tickets. they would rather have 14k paying full price than a full house where 4 thousand tickets were essentially given away.

and as far as pushing their own secondary market vs stubhub, sure it's about their cut. but it's also because they don't want a STH to take a bath selling their seats for a game because someone went too low. of course i disagree with all of this.

frankly, its as if the new ownership with their "modern ideas" have basically asked lou, "what do you want?" and he's trying to turn back the clock to the old draconian ways. say what you want about JVB, but his push to put as many fans in the seats and give them what they want when they were there was his number one priority (besides paying himself a massive "management fee" from the team's revenue).

They haven't had 14k most games NOW lol...and they've had plenty of giveaways of their own volition between the coat drive/toy drive/breast cancer vouchers early in the season.  Honestly I probably sold several more tickets because of the vouchers.  Why shouldn't I as a STH be able to take advantage of their freebees?

What about someone like me? I live in Camden County so my commute to the Rock is an hour and a half each way. I also happen to work nights during the hockey season this year, but even so, I'm proud to be a season ticket holder and support the team I'm passionate about. Between the 3-hour commute that comes with every Devils home game I attend and my conflicting work schedule, I've had to sell over 50% of my games easily. Probably closer to 75% to be honest. I am about as die-hard of a Devils fan as you can possibly be, yet I should be banned from future season ticket sales because I live far away and work nights? What a joke!

Believe it or not, I didn't get the notification, which I'm shocked about because like I said, I've had to sell the majority of my tickets this season (usually not even for a profit, by the way) but I guess I'm bound to get it at some point.

If that's the case every season for you then honestly partial plans/StubHub and playoff strips would probably be better in your case.  Especially since I can't imagine you get close to 100% back for most regular season games.  If it's just a one-season thing that's different...they should take into account fans who don't sell tickets for x number of years then all of a sudden sell a bunch in one season.

Edited by NJDevs4978

frankly, its as if the new ownership with their "modern ideas" have basically asked lou, "what do you want?" and he's trying to turn back the clock to the old draconian ways. say what you want about JVB, but his push to put as many fans in the seats and give them what they want when they were there was his number one priority (besides paying himself a massive "management fee" from the team's revenue).

Not so much a Lou thing, as it is the new group essentially being private equity fund types. The thing people forget about JVB is that he was ultimately a fan, and I believe an original season ticket holder. Among Devils fans, there's always the low attendance complex, which I imagine JVB felt too. It was an issue of pride for him, as it is most Devils fans. And while the new ownership is ultimately for the best, I think it's a very good bet that neither of them knew who Scott Stevens was before they started looking at the financials.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got Red Bulls season tix this year, and they went out of their way to explain how to give tickets away. They don't care at all about selling, them, hell, they just wanted it to be simple. I get that soccer is the number 6 sport in this country, so MLS has to be extra nice to the fans they have, but there's a reason MLS is growing fast while MLB falls apart. Also, the Devils, as the 9th most popular team in the market, are a lot closer to MLS than the Yankees. They should really be treating the fans they have like gold.

Isn't part of this to actually benefit the season ticket holders who go to 60+% of the games? Now when I need to sell tickets the secondary market will have less tickets out there are STH price, making it easier for me to get rid of at a reasonable price, when I have to.

Isn't part of this to actually benefit the season ticket holders who go to 60+% of the games? Now when I need to sell tickets the secondary market will have less tickets out there are STH price, making it easier for me to get rid of at a reasonable price, when I have to.

That's assuming there are buyers. Most people buy from the secondary market because there are good deals there, not some altruistic desire to help STHs. If we were a team that sold out every game, and fans were desperate for tickets, I could see this, but there isn't that much demand for Devils tickets. They just want to get as much of the available money as they can.

BTW, I can't prove that; I probably know less than you, but I'm willing to stand by this prediction. If you're getting more money next year, I'll be more understanding of this policy, even if I personally would not want to buy tickets if I couldn't do with them as I see fit.

Edited by mouse

The Devils have always reserved the right to revoke anyone's tickets. That is true for every sports club.

Sure, I get that. But I don't think reselling games is a legitimate reason to revoke tickets. If you pay for those tickets and want to sell them legally, you should be allowed to do so without interference. Season tickets aren't cheap. If you make the investment, they're yours to do with what you want (legally and within reason).

I just got Red Bulls season tix this year, and they went out of their way to explain how to give tickets away. They don't care at all about selling, them, hell, they just wanted it to be simple. I get that soccer is the number 6 sport in this country, so MLS has to be extra nice to the fans they have, but there's a reason MLS is growing fast while MLB falls apart. Also, the Devils, as the 9th most popular team in the market, are a lot closer to MLS than the Yankees. They should really be treating the fans they have like gold.

I love the red bulls. I was actually going to call and get season tickets today but I got distracted with this nonsense. I've been a season ticket holder off and on with them for years and they always treat their fans right. They also have to because they need all the fans they can get but that's besides the point.

This letter makes me angry.

While it doesn't sound like too many people got this letter (SatansHockey is the only one on here so far) it doesn't change the fact that the letter is entirely condescending, arrogant, and a complete slap in the face. Economically calculated/CYA move or not, this is unacceptable. There is so much about this letter that angers me but I'll point out the part where they basically say, "We are taking away your season tickets because we think you did something with your property that we don't like but please, continue to give us your money by buying tickets as a nobody." WTF, and who the fvck do they think they are? They should be kissing SH's feet for buying season tickets.

SH, you should of course write a note to the team, CC the higher brass, fvck Hugh Weber; send it to Lou and Josh Harris if you need to. I will lend my name as a signatory and I know many on this site will too. In the letter make sure to threaten to NEVER buy tickets again, because this is what the letter makes me want to do.

Now as to this being a unique tactic, it is not:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2011/10/31/raptors_season_ticket_dispute_headed_to_court.html

A Raptors season-ticket holder alleges the team’s owner, Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment, treated him “like dirt” by installing a new row of premium seats directly in front of his $915 courtside seats.

MLSE says the aggrieved fan is a dishonest and cunning scalper.

After a flurry of court filings, unsuccessful mediation and a lengthy discovery process over the past four years, Toronto businessman Mark Michalkoff’s complaint against MLSE is heading to a courtroom.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/13/keep-toronto-maple-leafs-fan-out-of-the-bank

“Some of our key rivalry games have had many of the opposing team’s fans in attendance,” a January e-mail to Sens season ticket holders said.

“We are taking steps to change that but we need your help.”

That means offering 20% off single ticket prices for Leafs and Habs games, with the caveat that the tickets “are used by Senators fans and not re-sold.”

“Any seats being re-sold will be subject to cancellation and loss of privileges.”
Too right.

http://www.my9nj.com/story/19909106/cubs-try-to-stop-scalping-pull-season-ticket-renewals

The Cubs front office says they sent the letters out to some season ticket holders because they have exploited their seats on websites for money.

Part of the letter states, "We regret to inform you that we have decided not to renew the license on your account." These are not the words that season ticket holders wanted to hear. But, for some Cubs fans, it's a whole new ball game.

[...]

"This is not about going after the season ticket holder who goes on third party sellers and can't attend the game and want to get a value for their ticket--that's not what this is geared for," Cubs spokesperson Julian Green explains to FOX Chicago. "At the end of the day, we believe that anyone with large volume, and out of town certainly have objectives other to enjoy the experience of Wrigley Field."

http://tickets.atlantafalcons.com/season-ticket-holders/renewal-information/

Your Season Ticket Account is a renewable, revocable license and may be withdrawn at any time at the sole discretion of the Atlanta Falcons. All account holders are subject to the rules, regulations and policies of the Falcons, the Georgia Dome and the National Football League. The Falcons retain the option to cancel an account or relocate seats assigned to an account for reasons including, but not limited to:

• Failure to meet payment or renewal deadlines
  • Violations of Season Ticket Holder Code of Conduct
  • Scalping or resale of tickets
  • Stadium construction and/ or reconfiguration of seating areas
  • Ownership disputes
  • Changes in Falcons Season Ticket policies

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/business/14tickets.html?pagewanted=print

The company gives Cavaliers season-ticket holders the option to forgo paper tickets and simply swipe their credit card or driver’s license when they enter the arena. If they want to resell their seats, instead of using a ticket broker or a Web site like eBay, they must go to the Flash Seats site at cavs.flashseats.com. There, they can set any price for their seats or view auction-style bids from potential buyers, with the company taking a 20 percent fee from the buyer.

Flash Seats allows sports teams to exert total control over who fills their seats, and to fight back against sites like Craigslist, eBay, TicketsNow and StubHub, which have transformed the shady world of ticket scalping into a $3-billion-a-year business.

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/Scalpers-at-A-M-receive-warning-4807438.php

Forbes.com reports that tickets overall — not just student seats — are averaging $763 on the secondary market.

That has led to a pre-emptive move by A&M.

“Student sports options are heavily subsidized by season ticket holders,” an email from the athletic department to students declared. “Former students and Aggie fans long have been committed to maintaining the quality and size of the student allotment at Kyle Field. In return, Texas A&M students, the 12th Man, are expected to honor this commitment by not reselling for profit their student tickets.”

The email from the athletic department warns that “students found to be in violation of this policy will be penalized, to include cancellation of sports options, cancellation of tickets already pulled and the loss of sports privileges for the duration of their Texas A&M career.”

http://www.khou.com/entertainment/Scalpers-defying-rodeo-officials-already-reselling-tickets-240019861.html

Rodeo ticket sellers go to great lengths in their attempt to identify scalpers, Urban said. She proudly showed off how one of her workers angrily scrawled the word “scalper” across a ticket order that would’ve been worth $800.

“I have one lady in my office who, it’s just her mission to stop every scalper in town,” she said.  “So she does a lot of Google searching and things like that.  We do what we can to keep them out of our house.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/jets-crack-down-on-scalpers/article556973/

Chipman, co-owner of the Winnipeg Jets, has never bought tickets from a scalper in his life. And he’s making damn sure no one looking for a Jets’ ticket does either.

He and his company, True North Sports and Entertainment, have been on something of a crusade against scalpers ever since acquiring the NHL franchise in May. The company has issued warnings about scalpers for months and last week it cancelled the accounts of several season-ticket holders who were caught reselling their tickets. It was a rare and drastic move by a Canadian pro sports team, especially since Jets season tickets are almost impossible to get and holders must sign on for up to five years.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/23/AR2006072300721.html

All four major professional teams in Washington now have an online ticket reselling presence, including the Redskins, who in the past have stripped season tickets from customers who resold them. A year ago, The Washington Post lost its tickets, most of which went to the newspaper's carriers, when the team alleged some had been resold.

Also: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1623763

Edited by Neb00rs

I love the red bulls. I was actually going to call and get season tickets today but I got distracted with this nonsense. I've been a season ticket holder off and on with them for years and they always treat their fans right. They also have to because they need all the fans they can get but that's besides the point.

With the Devils, it isn't. In the Yankees case (and most of neboors' examples), the team was losing a ton of money on scalpers, since they will always have a ton of STH. The Devils and Red Bulls need all the help they can get filling seats. As has been said on this board, at least the Devils got some concession money the games where JVB practically gave tix away. I get what the owners are doing, but they don't have enough STH to be anything but grateful to you. If they alienate the fans, things could get ugly for them in a way they never will with a more popular team.

Much of the Devils recent attendance improvement is a result of people who grew up with the team, and are now able to afford season tickets. That number may grow, but if they treat the STH like crap, people who haven't had the tickets that long won't renew. Hell, they might to lose you, and you've bought tix for awhile. Considering I'd be selling like half my games because of my work schedule, especially if I keep going to grad school on the side, I lost all interest in buying a package.

Edited by mouse

I'm surprised I didn't get that letter since I sold over ten games on SH. But I'm pissed about this as well. I commute 80 minutes from Ocean County for the games so obviously I won't be able to make it to many games...I guess I'm not a die hard fan now. Shucks.

Edited by Zubie#8

Do what I do. Don't buy them. Watch it on TV, go to the odd game here and there.

Honestly, I'm a hard working guy with a family like a lot of people here.......I am not rich nor poor, but Id don't know how middle class people like us can even afford to shell out the kind of money it takes and the commitment to get to all the games.

One can say I'm not a real fan, but that's just hogwash. It's just with some much in life happening, I'll watch 75-78 games a year on the TV instead.

Especially with this douche letter.

Anyone make a profit on Devils tickets this season??  If so, where section are your tickets in?!?

The Devils should be happy that fans are buying EVERY SINGLE GAME, even the lousy mid-week games that aren't worth $15.

And people aren't stupid -- you can buy 2 tickets to 44 games for under $2000 for the pair -- or the same seats to 7 games for $700.  It just doesn't make sense to buy a partial plan.