Check out what the Devils front office just sent me along with my play

Satans Hockey

I just became a season ticket holder yesterday. This certainly puts a damper on my excitement.

I am sorry to hear that   :doh1:

You're actually a season ticket renter, as the tickets aren't yours to do with what you please, apparently.

Sad, but true

Isn't part of this to actually benefit the season ticket holders who go to 60+% of the games? Now when I need to sell tickets the secondary market will have less tickets out there are STH price, making it easier for me to get rid of at a reasonable price, when I have to.

Eric, the Devils ticket D-Bag??!?  Is that you?!?

That's assuming there are buyers. Most people buy from the secondary market because there are good deals there, not some altruistic desire to help STHs. If we were a team that sold out every game, and fans were desperate for tickets, I could see this, but there isn't that much demand for Devils tickets. They just want to get as much of the available money as they can.

BTW, I can't prove that; I probably know less than you, but I'm willing to stand by this prediction. If you're getting more money next year, I'll be more understanding of this policy, even if I personally would not want to buy tickets if I couldn't do with them as I see fit.

The policies have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with "helping season ticket holders" or their BS company line of "maximixing season ticket value".  It is plain and simple 2 things, and 2 things ONLY:

1.  They do not want a ton of tickets readily available on StubHub.  Their own Season Ticket Holders are undercutting them nearly EVERY GAME, which makes it impossible for the team to sell tickets through Ticketmaster and the box office.  THIS IS THE PRIMARY REASON.  Nobody (outside of a very small % of fans who do not know any better) buys tickets directly from the team.  They are cheaper everywhere else.

2.  A small bonus, if people are going to resell tickets...they want it done through their "TicketExchange" so that they can get their piece of the pie.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE NONSENSE LIES.  THIS IS CORPORATE GREED AND NOTHING MORE!!   :urg:

Anyone make a profit on Devils tickets this season??  If so, where section are your tickets in?!?

The Devils should be happy that fans are buying EVERY SINGLE GAME, even the lousy mid-week games that aren't worth $15.

And people aren't stupid -- you can buy 2 tickets to 44 games for under $2000 for the pair -- or the same seats to 7 games for $700.  It just doesn't make sense to buy a partial plan.

HA

You know the answer...

There are exactly 0 profitable season tickets out there....

The only exception may be some of the alleged brokers who have blocks of club seats for extremely cheap

This letter makes me angry.

While it doesn't sound like too many people got this letter (SatansHockey is the only one on here so far) it doesn't change the fact that the letter is entirely condescending, arrogant, and a complete slap in the face. Economically calculated/CYA move or not, this is unacceptable. There is so much about this letter that angers me but I'll point out the part where they basically say, "We are taking away your season tickets because we think you did something with your property that we don't like but please, continue to give us your money by buying tickets as a nobody." WTF, and who the fvck do they think they are? They should be kissing SH's feet for buying season tickets.

SH, you should of course write a note to the team, CC the higher brass, fvck Hugh Weber; send it to Lou and Josh Harris if you need to. I will lend my name as a signatory and I know many on this site will too. In the letter make sure to threaten to NEVER buy tickets again, because this is what the letter makes me want to do.

Now as to this being a unique tactic, it is not:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/2011/10/31/raptors_season_ticket_dispute_headed_to_court.html

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/02/13/keep-toronto-maple-leafs-fan-out-of-the-bank

http://www.my9nj.com/story/19909106/cubs-try-to-stop-scalping-pull-season-ticket-renewals

http://tickets.atlantafalcons.com/season-ticket-holders/renewal-information/

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/business/14tickets.html?pagewanted=print

http://www.expressnews.com/sports/college_sports/aggies/article/Scalpers-at-A-M-receive-warning-4807438.php

http://www.khou.com/entertainment/Scalpers-defying-rodeo-officials-already-reselling-tickets-240019861.html

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/jets-crack-down-on-scalpers/article556973/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/07/23/AR2006072300721.html

Also: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1623763

Thanks for the links.  I know that seasons tickets could always be rescinded for certain causes (mostly unruly behavior, like when Giants fans threw snowballs onto the field, etc.), but clearly the emergence of Stubhub and other outlets is forcing franchises to come down on scalpers and those who go through "legal" scalpers harder.  Still curious how many teams overall are taking action similar to what the Devils are doing.    

I have to admit, of the five games I've gone to this season, four times I went on Stubhub and bought my tix for well under face.  Of those four Stubhub games, three times I went with my wife and daughter, and the other time it was only me and my daughter.  That's 11 tickets I didn't buy directly from the Devils...I bought 11 tix that were already sold...I'm sure that doesn't make them happy. 

That being said, like others have posted, though I don't love the Devils telling fans what to do with their season tix to begin with, I really don't like that they're sending letters to fans like SH who clearly aren't in the "offender" category.  Why even take a chance on pissing off an STH when Devils fans looking to purchase season tickets aren't exactly numerous? 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

I just read this thread, unbelievable. The Devils were never known as a smart marketing team even with new owners nothing has changed but instead have gotten worse. Stay home watch on TV and selectively go to games that might be exciting to see in person.

Where is Mike Brown when he gets called out?

There is strength in numbers we all should get behind this issue and complain.

That being said, like others have posted, though I don't love the Devils telling fans what to do with their season tix to begin with, I really don't like that they're sending letters to fans like SH who clearly aren't in the "offender" category.  Why even take a chance on pissing off an STH when Devils fans looking to purchase season tickets aren't exactly numerous? 

Right, why chance it unless the Devils truly have an epidemic of season ticket holders who only purchase tickets for resell purposes? I could be wrong, but I just don't see that as likely (ala SH). This is just scummy business, the Devils, nor any of these teams are trying to protect the fans. In large part, the Devils will be sending these letters out to hard-working fans who can't always go to the games. Why would you want to stop a guy who has to travel on business, or who has to work overtime from making money back on his tickets? Chances are he will keep investing in the team until the end of his friggin' life as long as you don't alienate him.

Also, as most of us probably know, while ticket resale is not illegal, states, like NJ, have passed questionable laws stipulating guidelines for what is allowed and what isn't in the scalping world:

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/tech/webguide/internetlife/2002-10-07-e-scalping_x.htm

In New Jersey, it is illegal for a licensed broker or season ticket holder to sell a ticket to any event held in the state for more than 50% above the price the broker or season ticket holder paid.

Other sellers cannot charge a price more than 20% above face value, said Genene Morris, a spokeswoman for the New Jersey Division of Consumer Affairs.

The law applies even if the buyer and seller both live elsewhere, she said.

So, there are ways in which teams can request police crackdowns on this type of activity. The laws are completely unjust but they are what they are and in some of the articles I have read, teams HAVE begun to use the police to go after scalpers.

If sports teams are so worried about the secondary market, then they should hold on to their tickets and sell them at the last minute. If they want an arbitrage equilibrium so desperately then they should do it the honest way. But of course, they don't want to do that; they don't want to assume the risk that scalpers resellers do . The Devils sell the tickets at a price where they can hopefully sell them all. The buyers take on the commodity and therefore own the value and the risk associated with the product. The Devils now want to take no risk but assume all the profit for the tickets. Then the team goes out and sends a nasty letter to STHs and acts as if the organization took the risk and the scalpers are taking all the profit.

And to top it all off, they are attacking your everyday Devils fan, who goes to games but often needs to sell his tickets so that he can afford to pay his bills and thus, continue his hobby of going to Devils games. Of course, they can't even handle this situation with any tact, basically telling SH that he is committing a wrong and so they will have to punish him even though he has spent thousands on the Devils organization - and then the kicker: that he should still buy individual game tickets so the Devils can still take his money.

The Devils have been better since the move to Pru when it comes to marketing and customer service. This however, is a GIANT step back.

Edited by Neb00rs
  • Like 1

The policies have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with "helping season ticket holders" or their BS company line of "maximixing season ticket value".  It is plain and simple 2 things, and 2 things ONLY:

1.  They do not want a ton of tickets readily available on StubHub.  Their own Season Ticket Holders are undercutting them nearly EVERY GAME, which makes it impossible for the team to sell tickets through Ticketmaster and the box office.  THIS IS THE PRIMARY REASON.  Nobody (outside of a very small % of fans who do not know any better) buys tickets directly from the team.  They are cheaper everywhere else.

2.  A small bonus, if people are going to resell tickets...they want it done through their "TicketExchange" so that they can get their piece of the pie.

DO NOT LISTEN TO THE NONSENSE LIES.  THIS IS CORPORATE GREED AND NOTHING MORE!!   :urg:

I agree. I'm just willing to eat crow if I'm proved wrong next year. Don't expect to be.

Don't joke about that as I really do see that coming.

Already the Devils is the only arena/stadium I have been to in the last few years where the guards grope and wand you before going it.  It's like being at the friggin airport.

I go to a lot of sporting events, and can tell you that I get the same treatment at MSG, MetLife Stadium (which is the worst by far), and Yankee Stadium as I do at the Rock.  Maybe in other areas of the country the security is more lax, but for the sporting venues in this area, the Rock's security is par for the course.

:lol: ....never ceases to amaze me.....just wait people.....PSL's will come to other leagues just like it is in football....its sad but pro sports are NOT about the fans....haven't been for a long time....the more I hear this stuff the more glad I am that I've focused on spending my money PLAYING hockey over watching it......

The only reason PSL's work for football is because the games sell out all the time and there is a large demand for tickets.  It's easy being a football fan and STH.  There are only 8 home games per year, plus 2 pre-season games.  Almost all games are played on a Sunday when you usually don't have ot worry about work and kid's sporting events. 

Even still, PSL's are a tough sell.  The Giants had a 15-20 year waiting list for ST, and blew through the entire thing without fully selling all of their PSL's when the new stadium opened.   IMO, they wouldn't work in hockey outside of some major market teams like the Rags, Toronto, and Montreal.  

I go to a lot of sporting events, and can tell you that I get the same treatment at MSG, MetLife Stadium (which is the worst by far), and Yankee Stadium as I do at the Rock.  Maybe in other areas of the country the security is more lax, but for the sporting venues in this area, the Rock's security is par for the course.

In the past 2 years I have been to Yankee Stadium, Red Bulls arena and Barclays and have not been wanded or patted down at any of them.

For Yankee Stadium, I have been there about 4 times (including the SS game) in the last 2 years and the worst they did was check my gf's purse.  They never frisked me or her or anything.

In the past 2 years I have been to Yankee Stadium, Red Bulls arena and Barclays and have not been wanded or patted down at any of them.

For Yankee Stadium, I have been there about 4 times (including the SS game) in the last 2 years and the worst they did was check my gf's purse.  They never frisked me or her or anything.

I was wanded at Yankee Stadium last season.  I can't remember if I was or was not for the Stadium Series game.  I've never been to Barclays or RBA, so I can't speak to them.  But, go to MetLife.  It's basically a full body cavity search before entry.  The wanding at the Rock is nothing compared to that. 

I mean, it is in Newark.  I personally don't mind the wanding considering some loser with a desire to make headlines could get a ticket for $15 on an off night.

They used to do the same to us students at Rutgers football games (probably more to find stashed alcohol than weapons), but I've gotten used to it.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I understand the OP for being upset and (hopefully) wanting to call them up and clear up the issue. Okay, I'm with you on that.

But you all are way too f****** sensitive. This stuff makes you "angry"? "Repulsed"?!?!? Really???

I'll reserve this kind of reaction for when the Devils stoop down to the Rangers' level: demolish hundreds of our season ticket seats to make more lounges and box seats and make us buy the newer high-priced lowers at absolutely no discount. The OP got the email by mistake and will probably clear it up with one phone call, it happens. Calling this franchise greedy and horribly run??? Get a grip everyone, this is no where near the worst of stories as far as how some teams treat their fans..

Edited by DJ Eco

Yeah, doesn't seem like a big deal to me.  They could also be trying to curb the amount of fans from other teams that the tickets could get sold to.  Probably not a huge deal in NJ, (regrettably I have not been to a home game in either Rock or Meadowlands in probably 10 years) but here in Tampa for instance it can sometimes be a problem when teams with large fanbases come to down (i.e. Detroit, Montreal, hell even Buffalo is huge)

A quick update on my part, I will write more when I get some free time but it was a mistake on their part and I'm keeping my seats.

I still don't agree with this system and how they are going about it and I expressed that to the front office but I don't have the time to write everything out at this moment.

A quick update on my part, I will write more when I get some free time but it was a mistake on their part and I'm keeping my seats.

I still don't agree with this system and how they are going about it and I expressed that to the front office but I don't have the time to write everything out at this moment.

Definitely curious to hear what they had to say on the matter. 

I know the Senators have a similar policy in place as well.  Maybe I over exaggerated when I say just about every other franchise has a similar policy in place, but my overall point still stands.

So your "guarantee" (your word) that just about every sports franchise that has a rule similar to what the Devils are doing consists of a "list" of one team that neb00rs posted a link for.  Not sure how your overall point still stands under those circumstances.

No need to just blurt things out for the sake of blurting.  If you want to present a point and you don't really know if it's based on facts, do some on-line research and find some info to back up your point, complete with links.  neb00rs at least did that. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

One of my friends was telling me that now your STH rewards will be based off of how much spend as opposed to how many years you have had season tickets. He sits up in the 200s and has been a STH for a long time so he's obviously pissed that he gets rewarded less than the companies that get the club/box seats but rarely go to the games.