GDT: NJ Devils @ FL Panthers - 7:30pm - MSG+2

Colin226

I didn't see it. I'm glad I didn't. I didn't need to see it to know that I've seen the same game a thousand times the last two years. This is the hallmark of a mediocre to below average team- they lose games like this to teams like Florida who they really have no business losing to, in all honesty. Games like tonight are why this team isn't making, nor deserves to make the playoffs.

this is a game where if marty was in net we'd likely see the same result but we'd have 20 pages (with me leading the charge) of wanting him william wallaced.

it sucks that cory has sh!t the bed since the olympics but it is what it is. marty has not been all that great either but he's winning and at this point, it is all about how many and not how.

This. Nicely said.

Michael Ryder has now gone 21 games without a goal, awesome.

lol.

I didn't see it. I'm glad I didn't. I didn't need to see it to know that I've seen the same game a thousand times the last two years. This is the hallmark of a mediocre to below average team- they lose games like this to teams like Florida who they really have no business losing to, in all honesty. Games like tonight are why this team isn't making, nor deserves to make the playoffs.

this

This is the death blow for the team. Not enough games left. They are too weak, fragile, and are chokers. The season is over

and again a major collapse in Florida. Just like last year. You're up 3-1 on a DEAD CORPSE FULL OF CRAP. You let up 9 SHOTS OVER THE LAST TWO PERIODS.

And they score 3 times and add an empty netter for good measure

Good news though: Washington, the Rangers, and Detroit all won!!!!! Oh wait..... :doh1:

that's all that ever fvcking happens. Seems like 1 day a week the games go our way, the other 6 days NOTHING goes our way

I was this close to turning the game off during that sh*t show of a first period.  I really wish I had.  I know I ain't watching the next two games.  I'm only bothering to go Thursday cause it's my friend's birthday game and Saturday well there's always the chance we play spoiler though I can't exactly expect much out of this gong show of a team.

Missed the game (so happy I did), so can't comment, but looks like Schneider is struggling. I bet it be hard to find a streak this poorly in his entire career and at the wrong time. He said all the right things, but the results need to be there.

Usual frustration here and on twitter. I really think the only guy that should be sh!tted on is Ryder. Not that we are paying him a ton, but 20+ games is pretty inexcusable. But offense also hasn't been the problem for this team since the break either.

People keep calling this the most unlikeable Devils team ever, but I won't go that far at all. It's just a very average team. Pretty sure this is what we knew going in.

Well, no one has been more outspoken about the goalie situation than me on this board, but I also didn't sign up for this Cory. The team seems to get the wins with Marty, so we are going to need him. If the team has to go back to Cory soon, that pretty much means the season is over. Here's hoping he shuts up all the haters (me especially) and gives the Devils some very good goaltending down the stretch.

Missed the game (so happy I did), so can't comment, but looks like Schneider is struggling. I bet it be hard to find a streak this poorly in his entire career and at the wrong time. He said all the right things, but the results need to be there.

Usual frustration here and on twitter. I really think the only guy that should be sh!tted on is Ryder. Not that we are paying him a ton, but 20+ games is pretty inexcusable. But offense also hasn't been the problem for this team since the break either.

People keep calling this the most unlikeable Devils team ever, but I won't go that far at all. It's just a very average team. Pretty sure this is what we knew going in.

Well, no one has been more outspoken about the goalie situation than me on this board, but I also didn't sign up for this Cory. The team seems to get the wins with Marty, so we are going to need him. If the team has to go back to Cory soon, that pretty much means the season is over. Here's hoping he shuts up all the haters (me especially) and gives the Devils some very good goaltending down the stretch.

Good post, but here's the one thing you don't understand: no one is asking you apologize or to come down on Cory tonight, just as no one ever really said he isn't the better goalie. You are right that Cory is the better goalie overall and should be the starter. Where you went wrong is with the unilateral Marty bashing, where you would go way over top in your anger that he just wants to continue his career and that he wants to play more. You acted as if Marty should have just said "You know what? I suck and am a horrible person, I retire," and then accused him of having some maniac ego because he didn't make such a statement. Sorry, but it just never sat well with me; it just isn't good form. Then you would come on the board after Cory had bad games and would act like you had to defend your position on Cory, when no one even really brought it up, and explain how "tonight is not about the goaltending." Again, no one was going "HA! Told you Marty was better DR33!!!" No one. The Devils should probably go with Marty for a few games if the Devs win tomorrow but that is beside the point, and doesn't make invalid your correctly positioned support of Cory throughout this season.

Edited by Neb00rs

Schneider wasn't good enough and the team made horrible defensive errors.  Fayne and Elias are normally reliable and tonight they made some awful plays, simple as that.  Schneider couldn't bail them out.  I think this is the first time he's lost in regulation while the Devils scored 3 goals for him.

But yeah, they badly needed at least a point from this one.

Schneider wasn't good enough and the team made horrible defensive errors.  Fayne and Elias are normally reliable and tonight they made some awful plays, simple as that.  Schneider couldn't bail them out.  I think this is the first time he's lost in regulation while the Devils scored 3 goals for him.

But yeah, they badly needed at least a point from this one.

Second straight game, in fact.

Can't blame goal support any more when he blows chunks the way he did the last two games.

Good post, but here's the one thing you don't understand: no one is asking you apologize or to come down on Cory tonight, just as no one ever really said he isn't the better goalie. You are right that Cory is the better goalie overall and should be the starter. Where you went wrong is with the unilateral Marty bashing, where you would go way over top in your anger that he just wants to continue his career and that he wants to play more. You acted as if Marty should have just said "You know what? I suck and am a horrible person, I retire," and then accused him of having some maniac ego because he didn't make such a statement. Sorry, but it just never sat well with me; it just isn't good form. Then you would come on the board after Cory had bad games and would act like you had to defend your position on Cory, when no one even really brought it up, and explain how "tonight is not about the goaltending." Again, no one was going "HA! Told you Marty was better DR33!!!" No one. The Devils should probably go with Marty for a few games if the Devs win tomorrow but that is beside the point, and doesn't make invalid your correctly positioned support of Cory throughout this season.

As if some of the hateful posts from other people toward Cory the last couple weeks have been any less 'salty'?  Neither side has any high ground here.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Looking at Schneider's game logs for his career, the only other time he gave up 4+ goals in back to back games was last year in the playoffs. (Prior to this recent 3 game stretch of course)

I mentioned that this has been the most unlikeable Devils team for me earlier in the thread but for reference I only have seen games from 93-94 onward. Of course the 80's were horrible but I didn't live through that. The reason I'm frustrated with the team is the whole roster management issue, utterly boring hockey for most of the year, and the Brodeur/Schneider headache. I'll be more relieved than upset when the season is over. At least baseball is only 17 days away and the Nets have been on a tear in 2014.

Edited by thefiestygoat

Second straight game, in fact.

Can't blame goal support any more when he blows chunks the way he did the last two games.

Eh, Detroit game was a case of a team making their shots.  There was one bad goal let in by Schneider but they played really really awful defense and the Wings made their shots.  This one was different - he faced a fair number of high quality chances but just couldn't seem to stop enough of them.

Meh this is what I thought the Devils would honestly do - they'd stay just close enough to the playoffs to keep things interesting, and our hopes up. So if/when they inevitably miss, it'll be that much sh!ttier for us who pay attention.

I'm still thinking Lou should've sold at the deadline. But what do I know..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

As if some of the hateful posts from other people toward Cory the last couple weeks have been any less 'salty'?  Neither side has any high ground here.

??? Has this happened? Aside from last night there hasn't been much anti-Cory rhetoric at all. That's the whole point. And in the rare cases that it did happen, at least it was after a loss.

Also, re: this is an unlikable Devils team; I don't get that at all.

Edited by Neb00rs

Meh this is what I thought the Devils would honestly do - they'd stay just close enough to the playoffs to keep things interesting, and our hopes up. So if/when they inevitably miss, it'll be that much sh!ttier for us who pay attention.

I'm still thinking Lou should've sold at the deadline. But what do I know..

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sold who?

Edit: With this new(ish?) board format, does anyone know how to copy quotes and edit them in to an already submitted post, thus avoiding the DP of mine here? I've usually been able to just copy and paste the last few months, but that isn't working anymore, nor can I just copy and quote the text because I can't edit the 'Quote' title part to show who's quote it is and when. I hope I am being clear here.

Edited by Neb00rs

??? Has this happened? Aside from last night there hasn't been much anti-Cory rhetoric at all. That's the whole point. And in the rare cases that it did happen, at least it was after a loss.

Also, re: this is an unlikable Devils team; I don't get that at all.

Admittedly about 90% of them have come from skeeter (either after Marty wins or Cory losses)...but there have been anti-Cory digs that also personally attacked the fans who dared criticize Marty.  

Unlikable might not be the right word.  I don't know that there's an individual on the team I dislike personally (unlike the 2009-11 teams)...but honestly that's part of the problem with this organization.  They have a milquetoast good citizen as its captain.  Career overachievers like Gionta and Harrold get held up as comparisons for our more talented younger players to live up to.  There's nobody in the room that'll turn over a table when the Devils have two-three types of these games in a row.  Pete for my issues with him does seem to know when to push the anger switch but there needs to be a couple of peers that do it too.  The fact that they came out so badly last night and against Detroit last week in VITAL games is a stain on the entire team, head coach on down.

Everything about the organization is maddening now, from the acceptance of mediocrity from a GM who never accepted anything but the best, from the goaltender sideshow to the way they keep hoarding old, mediocre defensemen (so much for the excuse Lou couldn't do anything before the deadline, he hasn't done anything in two years) and the way they've handled Larsson and to a lesser degree Gelinas this year - not to mention Fayne last year, to the utter lack of speed up front and no desire to even try to get faster or more skilled, to the double standard from the head coach vis-a-vis certain players and yes the propensity for DeBoer teams to blown leads over 'six' years of his coaching career including 2012.  Only difference in 2012 is they had the talent to overcome it.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Im not really pissed at this loss or wtv (well somewhat) but to me this season was loss from the start, lou patched a team together that should be able to compete just enough and thats what were seeing. And i pretty much made peace with it long ago, was simply curious to see what they could do and they actually exceeded my expectations really.

Pretty clear to me that this roster was not one that would win a cup or anything so ive been looking at the future instead hoping to see lou/deboer starting to prepare our future. For example getting more ice time for the kids so they get experience, getting rid of old vets, giving more time making sure our future #1 goalie is happy, getting picks for the future etc etc etc

Not much of that happened other than merril and gelinas getting some playing time but seeing larsson rotting in the AHL pretty much cancelled the positives there.

I know most people are in win now mode but like i said nothing good will come out of this season so im already hoping for the future to see better days, hopefully lou will make the right moves this summer.

Admittedly about 90% of them have come from skeeter (either after Marty wins or Cory losses)...but there have been anti-Cory digs that also personally attacked the fans who dared criticize Marty.  

Unlikable might not be the right word.  I don't know that there's an individual on the team I dislike personally (unlike the 2009-11 teams)...but honestly that's part of the problem with this organization.  They have a milquetoast good citizen as its captain.  Career overachievers like Gionta and Harrold get held up as comparisons for our more talented younger players to live up to.  There's nobody in the room that'll turn over a table when the Devils have two-three types of these games in a row.  Pete for my issues with him does seem to know when to push the anger switch but there needs to be a couple of peers that do it too.  The fact that they came out so badly last night and against Detroit last week in VITAL games is a stain on the entire team, head coach on down.

Everything about the organization is maddening now, from the acceptance of mediocrity from a GM who never accepted anything but the best, from the goaltender sideshow to the way they keep hoarding old, mediocre defensemen (so much for the excuse Lou couldn't do anything before the deadline, he hasn't done anything in two years) and the way they've handled Larsson and to a lesser degree Gelinas this year - not to mention Fayne last year, to the utter lack of speed up front and no desire to even try to get faster or more skilled, to the double standard from the head coach vis-a-vis certain players and yes the propensity for DeBoer teams to blown leads over 'six' years of his coaching career including 2012.  Only difference in 2012 is they had the talent to overcome it.

Any Cory digs have seemed to come as a sarcastic reaction to the Marty digs but if that's the way you have seen what happened (and being that I am not familiar with Skeeter's posts on the subject) I respect where you stand.

As for the rest of your point, well I would agree 'unlikable' is the wrong word but I think you have a point with the part I bolded. In general we really just don't have a special team. Salvador is really a big downgrade from Parise in my opinion as far as captains go and the team just kind of feels like a dud. Fayne came in when we sucked and I am really surprised he is still with us but I am not as down on him as everyone else, mostly because I think he is worth the 1.3 million we pay him and he only plays 18 minutes a game. Nonetheless, he makes some boneheaded plays doesn't he? 

Our 4th line has not performed nearly as well as they have in the past couple years, and the CBGB fervor is dying down. Gionta had 1.5 times as many points in 48 games last year (he has played 54 this year). He also was a +2 last year compared to a -8 this year and his shot percentage has gone from 7% to 5%. 

Bernier had 15 points last year in 47 games and was a -7. This year he has 11 points in 67 games and is a -14. Worst of all his shot percentage has gone from 9.1% to 3.2%. That's the worst production of his career in ALL categories (aside from PIM).

Ryan Carter had twice as many points last year than he does this year and he has played 6 more games so far this year (15 pts in 44 gms last year, 7 pts in 50 gms this year).

Danius Zubrus is also having one of the worst offensive seasons in his career with 23 points in 67 games (he had 44 points in 82 games in '11-'12).

Zajac bothers me more than anyone. Just a few years ago he scored in the 60's for 2 straight seasons and then after '09-'10 his offense started to completely drop off.

We have played Josefsen for 20 games this year in which he has registered a single assist. 

As stated, Ryder hasn't scored since January 11th (21 games) and since then he has 5 assists and is a -5.

Goal-scoring wise, Ryan Clowe is having arguable the worst season of his career. But we probably should have seen that coming: as mentioned when he first signed, he is coming off a season in which he scored 3 goals in 40 games. Sure it looked like a fluke because of his perennial 45-60 points a season prior to last year, but signing him to a 5 year contract was a bold statement of belief in his ability to rebound by Lou.

Frustrating for sure.