Of all the times Lou has curiously fired coaches out of the blue

'7'

Robinson 1st time, Julien...which many of us still don't get. Ftorek shocked people as well. MacLean was bad but people thought he'd get the year at least. All surprising firings. Heck I remember some Devils fans thinking Lemaire should come back after 1998 on account of the 1994 and 1995 runs being relatively fresh in memory.

Yet he continues to hang on to Deboer. WHY? What is so special about him?

Tonight was a loss of death blow proportions. We were up 3-1 on a corpse with 4 minutes to go in the 2nd. We allowed 9 TOTAL SHOTS in the last 40 minutes of play They score 3 goals somehow and we can't even come away with a fvcking point.

There is only 1 thing this team does consistently under Deboer. GAG AND CHOKE ALL THE fvckING TIME.  11 seconds to go, 2 minutes to go, 15 seconds to go, up 3-1 on this team, 2-0 on that team. Choke Choke Choke Choke. At least they waited until the playoffs to pull this crap in previous years

And this was going on in 2012 as well. How quickly we forget, up 2-0 to Florida in the waning minutes of game 7. Choke...OT miracle win. Up 3-0 to the Rags in game 5 2012...choke. Rags tie it at 3 but Carter and Kovalchuk pulled it out of the fire. Up 2-0 to the Rags in game 6...of course they tie and OT. But that squad had enough offense to bail them out sometimes. This team doesn't.

We've reached the critical turning point of the season. They need a spark. This was an absolute disaster loss. They are running around like chickens with their heads cut off in their own zone.

Maybe turn over the reigns to Stevens for the final 15. Or get Lemaire on the phone and beg him to come and settle things down after the Tampa game. But this team is likely going nowhere with Deboer.

Edited by '7'

Scott Stevens is a horrible choice for coach. I would much rather stick with DeBoer. DeBoer gets the rest of this season and then his SCF half-life is over. That said, I am not sure if its over or under 10 games before Jacques Lemaire is our coach.

It's not an unfair question...but there aren't all that many obvious replacements out there either.  Laviolette's the one that sticks out resume-wise but somehow I never saw him being a Lou coach with his constant whining and his teams continually diving and cheap-shotting.  Stevens as Devil coach would be just as foolish as Messier being Ranger coach.

I don't know...Dave Barr?  Everything HE touches seems to turn to gold (record-setting PK two years ago, a great PP this year when Pete lets him have Gelinas).  They can't keep begging grandpa Jacques to come back.

Lou might just decide this team isn't worth salvaging and let Pete's contract expire at the end of the year if this is the last year on his deal anyway.

Edited by NJDevs4978

There is no Brodeur in his prime. No HOF defensemen in Stevens and Niedermayer. No Rafalski. No A-line to wonder WTF is happening with this team.

If Lou fired Deboer, he should just fire himself. His coaching change worked once with Robinson.

It always amazes me that people will sh!t on the players and sh!t on the coach, but no one even questions the GM much.

• Like 1

There is no Brodeur in his prime. No HOF defensemen in Stevens and Niedermayer. No Rafalski. No A-line to wonder WTF is happening with this team.

If Lou fired Deboer, he should just fire himself. His coaching change worked once with Robinson.

It always amazes me that people will sh!t on the players and sh!t on the coach, but no one even questions the GM much.

Lou not making a move is perhaps a tacit admission he knows this team is **** even though he'll never admit it.  I really do wonder how Lou can let things happen like Larsson languishing in the minors though...that's even worse than the coaching bs.  Larsson and Gelinas were terrific together in November, the team won five of six.  And now Gelinas is in and out of the doghouse while Larsson's stuck in Albany for the rest of the season cause we keep stockpiling slow, mediocre defensemen.

Edited by NJDevs4978

Lou not making a move is perhaps a tacit admission he knows this team is **** even though he'll never admit it.  I really do wonder how Lou can let things happen like Larsson languishing in the minors though...that's even worse than the coaching bs.  Larsson and Gelinas were terrific together in November, the team won five of six.  And now Gelinas is in and out of the doghouse while Larsson's stuck in Albany for the rest of the season cause we keep stockpiling slow, mediocre defensemen.

Well they weren't an incredible team to begin with (the 2012 run was a fairly tale run), but you lose Parise, Kovalchuk and Clarkson and don't have a single player in your system to come up. You have to rely on B and C level free agents.

They overpay and sign for too long their own free agents. He created an absolute mess on defense he could not get out of. Salvador was obviously an atrocious deal. Zubrus looks done, and he is only on year 1 of a 3-year deal.

The drafting and development, once the crown jewel of the NHL, has completely gone stale. There have been way too many misses.

And with all that, they are a few fluke shootout losses out of the playoffs. I am not worried about Deboer. They don't need a Stevens. No one knows what goes on when the locker room door is shut. Coaches that yell and cream and embarrass their players publicly are not the answer. 

You fire a coach when you think you really have something. You fire a coach midseason and nothing changes...well only one more change to make.

Edited by devilsrule33
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, just on a simplistic level, there is no reason to fire Petey D right now. How could we possibly benefit from doing so? He is our best option this deep into the season. If we were 10 points out right now then maybe. Please keep in mind that he isn't exactly working with a group of all-stars, though I will conced the coach does take the primary blame for losses and wins. Nonetheless Clowe and Ryder have been nonexistent, and Zajac has been a huge offensive disappointment this season (not really Zajac's fault, he needs to be a second line center).

It's silly to think firing Pete would be best for the team right now.

The blown leads never seem to end under DeBoer. Its enough that I'm surprised that I haven't had a fvcking stroke yet. I'm getting there though.

They don't blow a disproportionate amount of leads given how many close games they are in because the roster lacks goalscoring. 

Oh look, another brainless, rambling diatribe. Being a Mets and Jets fan has got to cause permanent brain damage. It's either that, or you've been 14 years old for over a decade. This team is not good, is put together even worse, and if anything, has been overachieving all year. Funny how the goalie isn't to blame at all tonight.

I'm sorry, just on a simplistic level, there is no reason to fire Petey D right now. How could we possibly benefit from doing so? He is our best option this deep into the season. If we were 10 points out right now then maybe. Please keep in mind that he isn't exactly working with a group of all-stars, though I will conced the coach does take the primary blame for losses and wins. Nonetheless Clowe and Ryder have been nonexistent, and Zajac has been a huge offensive disappointment this season (not really Zajac's fault, he needs to be a second line center).

It's silly to think firing Pete would be best for the team right now.

Agree to this as well as DR33

There is no Brodeur in his prime. No HOF defensemen in Stevens and Niedermayer. No Rafalski. No A-line to wonder WTF is happening with this team

We just don't have the talent on the blueline to maintain a lead.   We have a collection of 3's and 4's on Defense, but no one I would consider 1's and 2's.   I think we are spoiled because of Stevens, Rafalski, Nieds,  and to a lesser extent Dano/White.  Where we had a all-star top four.

The GM is definitely the biggest problem at this point.  He's gotten away from what turned this into a successful franchise.  We have some good D prospects but that's about it.  There is nothing left on the bone of the NJD. Just look at the team's roster and how many of these players were grown in the organization.  It use to be a staple of the team.  Not only that, but, when you looked around the league a lot of the other team's players had been grown in the Devils organization.  Lou has lost his way.  Firing Deboer at this point might provide the spark to get them over edge and into the playoffs this year but it's not the long term fix.  What Lou should be doing is dealing off some of his players and making some Sandy Alderson type heists and building the team for the future so they can be a dynamo again.  Trading away the number 9 pick in the deepest draft in years was one of the dumbest moves he's made ever.  The Devils just aren't that close to warrant that trade.  Now, he just keeps adding contracts we can't get rid of.  He's trending the wrong way which doesn't bode well for the future.  I really hope that he doesn't trade off the blue chip defensemen.  

i agree i dont think at this point in the season we would benefit from firing pete if were not going to make the playoffs at this point were not going to make them with or without pete.. the real problem is there just isnt enough contribution across the board.. the ones that do score the goals are just the same repeaters for the most part night after night ryder, clowe, brunner have all been missing for a while now even though brunner made a couple nice plays last night particularly the assist on the elias goal.. its not enough

It always amazes mye that people will sh!t on the players and sh!t on the coach, but no one even questions the GM much.

Yet when someone criticizes him for the crap he's created for a decade they are bashed for it. Agree 100% on your last part. I said if they miss the playoffs again he needs to go. Question is will the new head honchos have the balls to do it. Edited by Marv4Life

Why would the Devils fire the coach?  Makes no sense.  At least with the Ftorek Devils it made some sense - that was an all time great team that went 4-8-1-1 down the stretch.  This is a mediocre playoff team that's probably going to miss because of the shootout and some bad goaltending decisions.  NJ doesn't blow leads more than anyone else.

Edited by Triumph

Why fire Lou? Cause he didn't get a goal scorer? He didn't draft some? Find a gritty goal scorer and then you have a case. Look at loki/ryder/brunner/kovy - they dont/didn't fit. We have the best player for our system and he's 42. Please, find me another Jagr. Why do we draft D? They take longer to develop.

Now, as for PDB, crappy coach. Poor personnel choices, poor period transitions, and poor rookie management. I think you all know what I mean by them. His ass should be fired but I don't think there's anybody better available.

Elite goaltending would be nice...

The blown leads never seem to end under DeBoer. Its enough that I'm surprised that I haven't had a fvcking stroke yet. I'm getting there though.

When we were up 3-1 I turned to my kids and said teh Devils need to stop trying to score as I see Zidlicky pinch in deep. We forgot what you do with a 2 goal lead. Dump the puck in forecheck and make them shoot form the outside... just like FLA did after they went up 4-3.

When we were up 3-1 I turned to my kids and said teh Devils need to stop trying to score as I see Zidlicky pinch in deep. We forgot what you do with a 2 goal lead. Dump the puck in forecheck and make them shoot form the outside... just like FLA did after they went up 4-3.

And lest we forget that if not for a fortunate call, we blow the Philly game and go to OT as well.

The Devils played 3 perfect 3rd periods before the break only to have some sh!tty goals go in with the net empty.  They played an excellent 3rd against Philly earlier this week.

Last night was a brutal period, but I don't think it was a trend.

its a tough call sweets, if they go into a Defensive shell and get trapped in their zone too long things get ugly as well. they've blown leads both ways. two bad turnovers by otherwise solid players in our own zone. but its always something   que the fat lady