Petr Sykora Announces His Retirement

Colin226

http://nhl.si.com/2014/03/17/petr-sykora-retires-devils-penguins/

Former NHLer Petr Sykora retired on Monday, according to a Czech website.

The two-time Stanley Cup winner hasn’t played in the NHL since 2011-12 or in a game this season in Europe. He last skated in the Swiss League during in 2012-13.

According to the report, Sykora was waiting for an NHL offer, but didn’t pick one up, so he called it quits during the weekend.

Sykora finished his NHL career where it started — in New Jersey with the Devils, for whom he played almost seven seasons before bounced around the league with the Ducks, Rangers, Oilers, Wild and Penguins, ending up with 323 goals, 398 assists and eight 50-plus point seasons.

Sykora’s best campaign was 2000-01 when he recorded 81 points, including 35 goals, in 73 games. Along with his NHL career, he spent some time in the KHL and Czech Leagues, and played for the Czech Republic Olympic team in 2002.

A great Devil and one hell of a piece in our 2011 - 2012 season. Thought we should have a thread to commemorate his career. Kudos to HFBoards for some of these great memories:

eliasarnottsykora.jpg

10005190-large.jpg

stanley-2000.jpg?w=640

petrsykora-njd-nhl-600.jpg?w=600&h=400

WhiffHug.gif

• Like 1

This was a returning Devil that really really worked. Not too many have, The funny thing is that Lou probably should have given him a 1-year deal last off-season, but thought someone within the organization or Mr. Plan B could fill the void. That never happened. Not even when he tried to bring back another ex-Devil in Ponikarovsky.

Great career. 

• Like 1

I will never forget the chemistry of the A-line. Elias and Sykora especially had some incredible connections on the ice. It was nice that he was able to come back for a year to say goodbye and to call NJ his "home."

Well done Petr. The 2000 Stanley Cup win would not have been possible without you, especially game 6 where your spirit had the guys playing with a fire in their hearts. You will be remembered in Devils lore forever. 

• Like 1

In '95-'96, for a while he WAS the Devils' offense, and as a rookie to boot, before hitting the wall. 

A-Line was so much fun, in both 2000 and 2001.  There are days I'd almost like to watch the 00-01 season from beginning to end, game by game, because damn that team was so much fun to watch (though Ranger fans still insisted they were boring).

Understood why the line was broken up with the Arnott deal and later the Sykora trade.  They were invisible on the road in 2001-02, and disappeared after an awesome start (think Arnott had 13 points after the first 7 GP or something like that).  Both deals paid off in a huge way in 02-03, and I don't second-guess those deals one bit.  There's a small part of me that wonders what would've happened if they had gotten that season to find their magic again.   

I actually liked him better than Elias initially. Obviously, Elias is now one of my all time favorites, in a way Sykkie isn't, but that's not a negative on Sykkie. A great Devil, who was a star of 1 Cup team and another finalist, and a key cog on another team that ran to the finals.

I lump him with Guerin and Gomez as players who could have developed into greatness but hd their judgement clouded by an oversized sense of entitlement.   Elias made him practice plays and learn the game.  As a  result became successful as a "scorer" and thought he was too big for the other parts of the game.   Waste of potential.

I lump him with Guerin and Gomez as players who could have developed into greatness but hd their judgement clouded by an oversized sense of entitlement.   Elias made him practice plays and learn the game.  As a  result became successful as a "scorer" and thought he was too big for the other parts of the game.   Waste of potential.

What is this madness?

Sykora was over .7ppg in his career playing mostly in the DPE.  Not everyone can be Patrik Elias in terms of ability and hockey sense. 

What is this madness?

Sykora was over .7ppg in his career playing mostly in the DPE.  Not everyone can be Patrik Elias in terms of ability and hockey sense. 

A lot of good his ppg stats got him in getting him a job in the NHL his last several seasons, where he had to beg to play in the NHL.

My point was if he had a better attitude, he could have become a much more versatile and valuable player and extended his career and a better championship resume.   Instead he went for short term gain and long term disappointment.  Waste of potential.

A lot of good his ppg stats got him in getting him a job in the NHL his last several seasons, where he had to beg to play in the NHL.

My point was if he had a better attitude, he could have become a much more versatile and valuable player and extended his career and a better championship resume.   Instead he went for short term gain and long term disappointment.  Waste of potential.

Sykora scored 323 goals - he was a scorer.  He was never good along the boards, he wasn't a tremendously crafty player otherwise, but he could shoot the puck.  Even in his last 4 full seasons he averaged over 20 goals a season, and there's not many players for whom that's true.

I've also heard rumors over the years from more than 1 person who said that back when the A-line was around, Arnott and Elias were pretty good friends but Sykora and Elias not really (especially after their 2000 cup win).  Since they were Czech the media lumped them together as "pals" but in reality they were just teammates for the most part.

Not everyone's made to be a two way player. Even when Kovy 'tried' to play defense and learn how to backcheck better, the results were mixed at best so no I don't imagine Syk would have been much better had he adopted a two way mindset. He lasted 15 years in the league and won two Cups, that's a pretty good career.