Here we go again. New goal song for 14-15

'7'

For me the "goal song" means nothing, I like Goals For not Goals Against. I am sorry but there is no place for "You Suck" at a game with kids in attendance. "Rangers Suck" at a game without the Rangers playing makes no sense to me, I must be missing something, BTW the same with the FLyers. But it seems that the "Goal Song" for some Devils fans is more important than winning games and making the playoffs. I just don't get it. If you can give me a reasonable other side of the issue, I would appreciate it, thanks

Hey seriously, rather than rehashing this pointless argument again, just go ahead and read the first part of the thread and spare us the bickering you're inevitably going to cause.

First of all, when exactly has a hockey game ever been a 'kid friendly' or 'family friendly' environment? The game alone is pretty violent, and football is more so. There is every place for it, no one is twisting your arm to participate but don't go calling those who do "classless" or "unsportsmanlike" (sportsmanship is for the team on the ice, there's no Lady Byng for being warm and cuddly to opposing fans). In fact it should be encouraged that we are trying to make the arena a hostile place for opposing fans. Not to the point of any violence but to the point that we will take all their $h!t and dish it back to them 10x.

As for the suck and swallow...come on, you know every kid knows words like that by the time they reach 4th grade, tops. and by not much older they certainly know the innuendo of it. This is where it's incumbent on the parents of these kids to make it clear that they disapprove of them repeating it. It's not up to management to go around playing policeman and scolding you for heckling opposing fans, the ref, or using f-words, s-words or whatever. The goal song was tradition, a thing this team is huge on. When RR2 was first pulled people were pissed because they just thought management was being a bunch of dicks, they lost the license to use the song or of course caved in to whiny soccer moms who complained 'think about the children!" When in reality, we found out later Gary Glitter is a pedo...yeah, I wouldn't want to be associated with that...

Since then, they've tried all these other songs because A) They're still hung up on trying to censor the crowd, so they're looking for something border-lined "Kidz Bop" to play that can possibly backfire B) They think they know what the fans actually want C) They can't find something that will start a new tradition everyone can get behind. The song is just as much a part of the game for our fans as scoring goals, making big saves and throwing huge checks. The on-ice play is our team's identity, the way we celebrate is the fans'. Honestly I don't see the gripe against it. It's just words, it's harmless. If you don't like it, sit there like a stick in the mud and pout about it while the rest of us have a good time...

Any public place with alcohol readily available you're going to hear and see things a lot stronger than you suck.  I don't really understand why people get in a lather over that itself.

This.

Also has anyone looked at "The Whip" by Locksley? I think it would be a great goal song!

http://youtu.be/jWwBkGWO7fw

Start at around :15

Kids definitely know every dirty word in the book by the time they're 10 unless there extremely sheltered.

That being said, I find it to be a bit disrespectful to be swearing non-stop if there's kids nearby. Not saying you need to keep it PG, but don't be like a drunk idiot I sat near last year that yelled about how every guy on the other team sucked cock the entire game as we we lost to a crappy Carolina team.

Hey seriously, rather than rehashing this pointless argument again, just go ahead and read the first part of the thread and spare us the bickering you're inevitably going to cause.

Well really this whole thread is one circular argument.

What's truly hilarious is even if you somehow can stop the You Suck during goal songs (which the fans proved last year would be difficult at best)...you still get Rangers Suck, Flyers Swallow five times a game and no goal song change is going to stop THAT. That's the irony of this whole thing, it's like thinking just because network TV is regulated you can somehow insulate society when you get ten times worse stuff on cable and the internet that's easily accessible.

https://soundcloud.com/richandruska/devils-rule-1

This is actually the song...

I like this.  I'd rather have something original than some lame mainstream song that will sound outdated in five years.  I am on the fence about the recorded "Let's go Devils" though.  I've always found it lame that the Rangers had that in an otherwise awesome goal song, and I feel the same about this one, but if it remains in the final product I can live with it and I think it is more universally appealing than all other suggestions I've seen.

This song cracked me up right away, for any of you WWE fans out there this song should sound sooooooo familiar hahahahha

check this out...

I had the same exact thought when I heard it! Glad I'm not the only one. Now if the bunny came out whenever we scored I could really get behind this

First of all, when exactly has a hockey game ever been a 'kid friendly' or 'family friendly' environment? The game alone is pretty violent, and football is more so. There is every place for it, no one is twisting your arm to participate but don't go calling those who do "classless" or "unsportsmanlike" (sportsmanship is for the team on the ice, there's no Lady Byng for being warm and cuddly to opposing fans). In fact it should be encouraged that we are trying to make the arena a hostile place for opposing fans. Not to the point of any violence but to the point that we will take all their $h!t and dish it back to them 10x.

As for the suck and swallow...come on, you know every kid knows words like that by the time they reach 4th grade, tops. and by not much older they certainly know the innuendo of it. This is where it's incumbent on the parents of these kids to make it clear that they disapprove of them repeating it. It's not up to management to go around playing policeman and scolding you for heckling opposing fans, the ref, or using f-words, s-words or whatever. The goal song was tradition, a thing this team is huge on. When RR2 was first pulled people were pissed because they just thought management was being a bunch of dicks, they lost the license to use the song or of course caved in to whiny soccer moms who complained 'think about the children!" When in reality, we found out later Gary Glitter is a pedo...yeah, I wouldn't want to be associated with that...

Since then, they've tried all these other songs because A) They're still hung up on trying to censor the crowd, so they're looking for something border-lined "Kidz Bop" to play that can possibly backfire B) They think they know what the fans actually want C) They can't find something that will start a new tradition everyone can get behind. The song is just as much a part of the game for our fans as scoring goals, making big saves and throwing huge checks. The on-ice play is our team's identity, the way we celebrate is the fans'. Honestly I don't see the gripe against it. It's just words, it's harmless. If you don't like it, sit there like a stick in the mud and pout about it while the rest of us have a good time...

This a complete overreaction and exaggeration.

They got rid of the song because it was embarassing to have thousands of man-children chant in unison "you suck."  This fanbase seems to have a record number of individuals who act like complete man-children at the game and to prove it when Nashville pulled the song this year for the same reasons, the fanbase just moved on and didn't flip and accuse their ownership of everything from "policing" them to "taking away their civil rights."  This overreaction is such a NJ Devils fan thing it's beyond embarassing and I wish they would just have no goal song at all just to make everyone miserable and to end the endless arguing over this on FB and on every message board.

BTW again the whole "this is tradition" thing is BS.  Yes, the song goes back to the Rockies days, but the "you suck" part started around 2007.  That's not exactly a long-standing team tradition so let's just cut that part out of the equation.  Also I bet if the owners went up to 1000 Devils fans who wanted the goal song back and said they can have the song back, with the promise they would never chant "you suck" ever again to it, I can imagine at least 80% will tell the owners to go to hell.  So this is about the "you suck" part and not about the goal song nor tradition.

This song cracked me up right away, for any of you WWE fans out there this song should sound sooooooo familiar hahahahha

check this out...

I had actually joked last week that they SHOULD use Adam Rose's song for a goal song.....OOPS :lol:

This a complete overreaction and exaggeration.

They got rid of the song because it was embarassing to have thousands of man-children chant in unison "you suck."  This fanbase seems to have a record number of individuals who act like complete man-children at the game and to prove it when Nashville pulled the song this year for the same reasons, the fanbase just moved on and didn't flip and accuse their ownership of everything from "policing" them to "taking away their civil rights."  This overreaction is such a NJ Devils fan thing it's beyond embarassing and I wish they would just have no goal song at all just to make everyone miserable and to end the endless arguing over this on FB and on every message board.

BTW again the whole "this is tradition" thing is BS.  Yes, the song goes back to the Rockies days, but the "you suck" part started around 2007.  That's not exactly a long-standing team tradition so let's just cut that part out of the equation.  Also I bet if the owners went up to 1000 Devils fans who wanted the goal song back and said they can have the song back, with the promise they would never chant "you suck" ever again to it, I can imagine at least 80% will tell the owners to go to hell.  So this is about the "you suck" part and not about the goal song nor tradition.

I think more of this is about people thinking this ("you suck" vs. a goal song change) isn't such a big god damn deal (on either side of the argument). Because it's not...

That being said, I like the new one and can't wait to hear plenty of it on Saturday night, hopefully.

Edited by DJ Eco

I think more of this is about people thinking this ("you suck" vs. a goal song change) isn't such a big god damn deal (on either side of the argument). Because it's not...

That being said, I like the new one and can't wait to hear plenty of it on Saturday night, hopefully.

The new one is fine with me.  I am, however, expecting the "you suck" idiots to boo the song which will sound and look great on TV and in person.

This is also not the first time the goal song has changed and I do not remember fans freaking out about it like this in the past.  The big difference is that back then when the song changed, people were not shouting "you suck" during the original goal song.  I clearly remember "Whomp! There it is!" back around the mid 90's and I believe Zombie Nation in the mid 2000's.

The Nashville fans did the hey song with the you suck over the new song that was played in their home opener. I haven't watched any of their home games since but clearly they just didn't move on.

Personally I don't care about the hey song or you suck. I just want a decent song, this current fan one sounds better than anything else we have had since, just wish they would take out the cheesy let's go Devils chant.

The Nashville fans did the hey song with the you suck over the new song that was played in their home opener. I haven't watched any of their home games since but clearly they just didn't move on.

Personally I don't care about the hey song or you suck. I just want a decent song, this current fan one sounds better than anything else we have had since, just wish they would take out the cheesy let's go Devils chant.

DId they boo the new song though?

it's confirmed on the Devils website what the song is. Yeah the tacked-on chant is kind of off-putting, like the management is giving you a script and saying "this is what you're allowed to say, say anything negative and we'll kick you out", but the music isn't half bad. The biggest complaint people probably have with the "You Suck" is that the owners are trying to police what everyone says in the stands...I know some people are going to be like "well buying a ticket to the game doesn't give you rights to just do/say what you want" and to an extent, that's true, but it also sort of does...you paid good money to have a good time, and if you have to actively watch what you say, even if it isn't swearing but maybe a little PG-13 language, it kind of becomes a pain in the ass. Especially with everyone being offended by everything these days...

That all being said, I can support this song. It's nowhere near as bad as I was expecting they'd try and make it. They actually did a good job now that I've heard it a few times, it'll grow on you.

Edited by Legion15

DId they boo the new song though?

Nope, but I don't believe that will happen this year, the booing mainly happened here because the front office just changed the song with no warning from what I remember, which was a recipe for disaster to begin with. At least Nashville had told their fans in advance.

I think it was smart of the Devils to release the song early as well and the general reception to it has been positive, other then the let's go Devils chant in it so I don't think we will see the backlash here that the awful bon Jovi song received.