Cory Schneider and bad angle weak shots

'7'

The memo has gone out around the league. This clown has atrocious footwork and has no idea what to do on those weak softies. I think he may have given up as many as 4-5 this year. That is simply unacceptable and it cost us a point today.

This is like Osgood in the 90's with his long range issues. He nearly cost us a point today because of his gag job. And after that softie you could visibly see how shaken he was

I'm sorry if you're still giving up that kind of garbage and don't have the backbone to bounce back...you're not fit to be our #1 either

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Come on man!  It was an awful goal to give up.  But every goalie gives up goals like that.  He hasn't been good since the break.  Nobody will deny that.  But if you put every goalie under a microscope like this, you'll see every goalie is like this.

oh here we go.. one day the guy is praised like a god the next hes a bum.. this forum is ridiculous sometimes

We're so spoiled.  It's impossible for goalies to be 100% perfect all the time.

Came we just enjoy this win for 5 minutes?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nope.  We have to complain no matter what.  If the team doesn't play a perfect game, we'll always find something to rip them on.

What point did the Devils lost today?

Exactly what I thought reading that.

Also, it happens. Sometimes the goalie picks up his guys (the shorthanded breakaway), sometimes they need to pick him up. But we should probably just get rid of him. Not #1 material...smh.

oh here we go.. one day the guy is praised like a god the next hes a bum.. this forum is ridiculous sometimes

He's been bad since the break with at least a soft goal every game.  Right now I have no use for either guy, but to be fair every time Marty allows a bad goal the team takes him off the griddle, it's about time it happened for Cory.  

I'm not sure what perfect goalies are supposed to be out there, but every goalie in the league gives up "softies". Its part of the position.

This is a great point. I think many of us - and I'm as guilty as anybody here - have been spoiled Marty's constancy over the past two decades. In his prime, I feel like you could count on Marty to stop pretty much 99% of the routine shots he faced.

That ain't normal. That's an elite quantity that few current goalies possess. I think Cory's great, but he's not what Marty was in his prime. We all need to be realistic with our expectations.

Although I may be romanticizing Marty's younger years a bit, admittedly.

Edited by Devilsfan118

This is a great point. I think many of us - and I'm as guilty as anybody here - have been spoiled Marty's constancy over the past two decades. In his prime, I feel like you could count on Marty to stop pretty much 99% of the routine shots he faced.

That ain't normal. That's an elite quantity that few current goalies possess. I think Cory's great, but he's not what Marty was in his prime. We all need to be realistic with our expectations.

Admittedly I may be romanticizing Marty's younger years a bit.

Cory's numbers have been better than Brodeur's in his prime since he entered the league. He put up numbers better than Brodeur for a while here in NJ.  There have been under 50 .925 save percentage seasons in NHL history and Schneider has 3 of those.

He has struggled for 5-6 games...this thread is fvcking ridiculous. I don't understand the complaining on the 3rd goal, however. A back door tip on a puck going wide of the net? Anyway, he hasn't been that good, but I'm not too worried. There have been many more great games than bad ones for Cory.

I'm holding Cory up to his own standard he set in Vancouver, not Marty's.  And right now he looks like a guy that is overrated having his stats inflated on a good team there.

I don't get it. His numbers were better than Luongo's, and the Devils are a better defensive team than they had in Vancouver.

Edited by devilsrule33

Maybe if he made a big ****ing stop once in a while late in games I could live with his soft angle bs.  He was in net for at least a handful of games blown late (many of them in that late January stretch) and they weren't all the D's fault, although the D itself is a bit overrated because of shot totals.  Our 25 shots allowed are generally more high-quality than Vancouver's 28-30 a game.

You can't really get on the D all the time (the way has happened here lately) because of ridiculous breakdowns and then say oh but they're good because of shot totals.  They have these ridiculous breakdowns almost every game.

lol @ having his stats inflated.  Yeah, because that's a thing.  He was bad on goal #2 - he's been generally good until lately.  No one promised he'd be a .928 goalie.

Then why is his save percentage careening towards .910 while it was .925 and up in Vancouver?  Pretty soon it's going to be below Marty's at the rate it's going.

You can't tout save percentage when it's noticeably better then ignore it when it's not.

Maybe if he made a big ****ing stop once in a while late in games I could live with his soft angle bs.  He was in net for at least a handful of games blown late (many of them in that late January stretch) and they weren't all the D's fault, although the D itself is a bit overrated because of shot totals.  Our 25 shots allowed are generally more high-quality than Vancouver's 28-30 a game.

Neither goalie can really do that.

I have never in my life seen the Devils this bad and this scrambly/scared late in games and protecting leads. It's psychological really.

You can't really get on the D all the time (the way has happened here lately) because of ridiculous breakdowns and then say oh but they're good because of shot totals.  They have these ridiculous breakdowns almost every game.

I would gather the Devils have less breakdowns than most teams in the league. I don't buy for a second the Devils face more high quality shots than Vancouver. There isn't such a thing as a team that gives up 20 shots but 10 are high quality vs, a team that gives up 30 with only 2 or 3 being high quality.

The Devils team defense (part of it being good offensive zone time over the last few years) has been fine. There have been more breakdowns since the break, but that's about it. For the last 100 games prior it was just really bad goaltening.

Cory doesn't look very good. It's tough to admit but if he continues like this I don't want to re-sign him.

I'm not sure what perfect goalies are supposed to be out there, but every goalie in the league gives up "softies". Its part of the position. 

If Marty had played today and played the exact same game as Cory would you have given him that pass? I am asking sincerely.

I feel like a large portion of this board has become Cory apologists. They are afraid to criticize him in any way because they built him up so much and put Marty down so much.

Edited by Neb00rs

Cory doesn't look very good. It's tough to admit but if he continues like this I don't want to re-sign him.

If Marty had played today and played the exact same game as Cory would you have given him that pass? I am asking sincerely.

I feel like a large portion of this board has become Cory apologists. They are afraid to criticize him in any way because they built him up so much and put Marty down so much.

I've probably defended Marty as much as anyone else on this board. In fact, I've said the same thing when Marty has been ripped for "softies" in the past. No goalie is perfect, and every goalie in the league gets beat clean. 

And yet you're posting in a thread that's bashing Cory lol...so clearly not everyone's an apologist.  There was reason to be an apologist when he was hot and not having great luck, but there's no reason to be an apologist when he sucks and is still not winning games for the most part despite better goal support since the break.