Who can we trade/sign this off season that's a "Devil" pla

Devs4LordStanley

Wait a minute...what cup contender?  The only time this organization has seriously "contended" for the Cup since 03 and not completely flamed out early, or missed the playoffs entirely was 2012; which Kovy was a very, very big part of.  I agree that systems have a part, but at the end of the day, X's and O's will only take you so far...you still need players that have the raw ability and talent to both create and finish offensively.  Right now, the Devils are seriously lacking in that department.   

This. I get that Kovy didn't work out perfectly, but when he was on, the team was very good,and he played a huge role. I'm not saying you bring in ANY talented player.and I'm certainly not saying offer a stupid contract (a mistake we DID make with Kovy, that I'm hoping we do learn from) but in the end, great players usually figure out ways to be successful. 

As far as I can tell the Devils need to sign players in the off-season that meet at least two successful makeups:

1. Two top level scorers: Successful teams have that mixture, Crosby/Malkin, Toews/Kane, Sedin/Sedin, etc.

2. At least two 30 goal scorers and a succession of 15 to 20 goal scorers.

The Devils right now have neither.

They did in 2012

I like iggy but we need to get younger. Hard because there are so few that fit.

I agree we are too old, but I don't think we are high on UFA'S list unless:

Lou will overpay due to need.

Lou will give a no trade or extra term.

Player needs a temporary stop to increase value due previous injury or under performance.

So if you then take into account those who are available during FA and then the type of players that would fit in here, then that list is a very short one. Add in younger players as a filter and what do you even have to pick from?

Trade then, right? We all know our assets. Lou is gonna need some xanax this summer. Do they trade Corey? IMHO, you almost have to trade him if the return is right.

On a side note we should all be thankful for Henrique and Zajac being signed for awhile or the team might as well move to Albany.

We need to focus on changing the roster over the next year or two and especially getting rid of the head coach. In sick of hearing about Dead Boar's system and how we have to cater to it. That's why we now have four guys who really aren't any good playing top 9 roles at forward and none can really score at all and no substantive changes or development of younger guys. And Jagr is not going to be here for more than another year which speaks volumes about our predicament.

I think we need a guy like Skinner but I'm skittish as to that package you put together there. Now, you have to give something to get something, but I'm a little Nauseous as to that kind of package. Larsson and 2015 1st, IMO, should be enough.

In order to compete in this league we need another top center to solidify down the middle and a scoring (hopefully speedy) winger.

Stastny would give us incredible center depth. Again we have zero center options in the minors/prospect pool.

Once you get him a first line winger needs to be acquired...somehow.

However, I'd be willing to start next season with...

Elias-Stastny-Henrique

Boucher-Zajac-Jagr

Something like that....flip wings, etc, whatever.

I'd even go as far as to sign Stastny to near 8M/season. It's not going to get better than him for 4-5 years. Center don't become FAs that often, especially good youngish ones.

With something like that looking like a top 6, I think it's definitely doable given defense/goaltending to be a playoff team and at least wait a little while for that big trade. 

We'll see more of where the D prospects are, how good Henrique is a winger permanently, where Boucher is development wise and the like.

It's a highly unlikely scenario but something I would love to see happen. With Rutherford apparently out as the Hurricanes GM at the end of the year and a lot of speculation over some of the core players being moved as part of a rebuild, I'd love to see Lou go after Jeff Skinner if he's made available.

Skinner won't be 22 until next year, already has 90 goals and 86 points in 248 NHL games, and is under contract for 5 more seasons at a $5.725M cap hit. In 4 NHL seasons he has been in or above the 90th percentile in goals per game. He even reached the 95th percentile his rookie season and this year.

The Devils need an elite offensive talent and I'd be willing to give up a lot for him. I don't know if the Devils would have the pieces the Hurricanes would want but I'd be willing to part with Larsson + 2015 1st + Boucher/Matteau + Ryder. I figure that gives the Hurricanes a NHL ready D who is under control for a few more years, a young forward also under control for a few more years, a decent draft pick, and a veteran forward who can contribute next year and also be flipped at the deadline.

The Devils have a lot of quality and depth coming through the blue line to withstand the loss of Larsson and acquiring Skinner would help offset the lack of young quality forwards in the system as they would have him for at least 5 years. Like I said though, highly unlikely something like this happens.

For a team that could be not very good next year, I would not trade the 2015 pick along with everything else. The player you conceivably would lose out on could be better than Skinner almost immediately or in one or two years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For a team that could be not very good next year, I would not trade the 2015 pick along with everything else. The player you conceivably would lose out on could be better than Skinner almost immediately or in one or two years.

The odds of this are not high, unless you think NJ picks top 3, which they won't

The odds of this are not high, unless you think NJ picks top 3, which they won't

They're evidently expanding the lottery, although it isn't clear whether it'll take effect next year and the exact form it will take.

Although it isn't incredibly likely, there's enough of a chance that it's akin to taking out an insurance policy.

I agree which is why I like Iginla. This team needs some finish, guys that are pure shooters.(move along Ryder, I don't mean you.) 

Ryder's got almost 20 goals, on a pretty favorable contract, not to mention he's probably due for another little surge within the games remaining (considering the number of quality chances he's had in the past few weeks and scoring in that Minnesota game).

As a team that can't score to save itself, we shouldn't be so picky and we should take what we can get. A streaky scoring player who eventually puts up the numbers (albeit, at his own pace) on the 2nd or 3rd line is perfectly fine if our upper lines were better. Ryder's not "the problem".

Hell, I'm fine if we keep signing him to 2 year deals for the long-haul until he retires and keep him here as a Sykora-figure. Most of everyone on this board was pissed off that we let Sykora and his 20+ goals go a couple years ago; Ryder's pretty much "that guy" (don't forget, Sykora had his cold streaks where we wondered if he was too old to compete).

So yeah, my verdict is we keep Ryder for the long-run. He won't exert himself or play physically, but that shot of his will probably be there til he hangs them up, and beggars can't be choosers. Those 5-10 games at a time where he's scoring and assisting like a madman, that's more than worth the price of his services, and for a long time was keeping us afloat on a long stretch of games (with Henrique too, of course).

Edited by DJ Eco

Ryder's got almost 20 goals, on a pretty favorable contract, not to mention he's probably due for another little surge within the games remaining (considering the number of quality chances he's had in the past few weeks and scoring in that Minnesota game).

As a team that can't score to save itself, we shouldn't be so picky and we should take what we can get. A streaky scoring player who eventually puts up the numbers (albeit, at his own pace) on the 2nd or 3rd line is perfectly fine if our upper lines were better. Ryder's not "the problem".

Hell, I'm fine if we keep signing him to 2 year deals for the long-haul until he retires and keep him here as a Sykora-figure. Most of everyone on this board was pissed off that we let Sykora and his 20+ goals go a couple years ago; Ryder's pretty much "that guy" (don't forget, Sykora had his cold streaks where we wondered if he was too old to compete).

So yeah, my verdict is we keep Ryder for the long-run. He won't exert himself or play physically, but that shot of his will probably be there til he hangs them up, and beggars can't be choosers. Those 5-10 games at a time where he's scoring and assisting like a madman, that's more than worth the price of his services, and for a long time was keeping us afloat on a long stretch of games (with Henrique too, of course).

And this ties into why I don't want another "Devils type" player. We have a lot of role players/system guys. We need top line talent. At least 1 star. I'd hoped this team would turn out like '03, but Elias isn't as good anymore (not his fault -- he's old), and, while Jagr's been huge, that team had Gomez and a ton of offense from Rafa and Nieds that this blue line just doesn't produce.

If you think he is a top 6 forward I don't know what to tell you.

If you think he is a top 6 forward I don't know what to tell you.

I think you missed the entire jist of what I said. Let me re-summarize: on this sh!tty series of cards that Lou dealt DeBoer this season, his 17 goals are pretty good. It's easy during a goalless drought to say "Hell no!" to keeping Ryder, but then, where do we get those 17 goals from?

I think we should absolutely keep Ryder, and if the right moves are made to our first two lines, and he's used in a limited 3rd line and power play capacity as he gets older, he's still very much beneficial to the team in the long run. He's scoring these goals almost effortlessly, doesn't need speed or grit, just kind of comes natural to him. On a team that can't score goals for sh!t, I don't understand how he catches so much grief, more than Zubrus or Clowe combined, as far as the fanbase goes.

I think you missed the entire jist of what I said. Let me re-summarize: on this sh!tty series of cards that Lou dealt DeBoer this season, his 17 goals are pretty good. It's easy during a goalless drought to say "Hell no!" to keeping Ryder, but then, where do we get those 17 goals from?

I think we should absolutely keep Ryder, and if the right moves are made to our first two lines, and he's used in a limited 3rd line and power play capacity as he gets older, he's still very much beneficial to the team in the long run. He's scoring these goals almost effortlessly, doesn't need speed or grit, just kind of comes natural to him. On a team that can't score goals for sh!t, I don't understand how he catches so much grief, more than Zubrus or Clowe combined, as far as the fanbase goes.

I certainly get your point, but the issue is that other than scoring goals, he's useless. He's an absolute black hole on the cycle, cannot carry the puck for more than 10ft without losing possession and is just plain slow. I agree we need the scoring, he just drives me nuts, lol.

I certainly get your point, but the issue is that other than scoring goals, he's useless. He's an absolute black hole on the cycle, cannot carry the puck for more than 10ft without losing possession and is just plain slow. I agree we need the scoring, he just drives me nuts, lol.

I get that, and the reason he drives you nuts may very well be what some of these "prized UFAs" might drive us nuts with. Hell, Kovalchuk polarized the fanbase for about two years despite being our leader in points, over people who loved his scoring prowess and people who thought he wasn't "Devils enough".

We always want this non-Devils style prolific attacking player and then when we get that guy (and I'm not saying Ryder is that guy, but he falls in line with the argument) and he starts scoring goals, everyone will still be in a tizzy over them not "playing the Devils game".

Then we got guys like Zubrus or Carter or Clowe who will cycle the puck and not lose it for a minute and a half along the boards. I'm sure they don't frustrate you (or other fans) because they don't have too many giveaways and they show a ton of "effort", but really, what good is that anymore?

Edited by DJ Eco

I think you missed the entire gist of the thread being about who the team should sign or trade for. Obviously, we don't need any more bottom 6 players, but we do need at least 1 pure shooter, especially on the top line.

It's a highly unlikely scenario but something I would love to see happen. With Rutherford apparently out as the Hurricanes GM at the end of the year and a lot of speculation over some of the core players being moved as part of a rebuild, I'd love to see Lou go after Jeff Skinner if he's made available.

Skinner won't be 22 until next year, already has 90 goals and 86 points in 248 NHL games, and is under contract for 5 more seasons at a $5.725M cap hit. In 4 NHL seasons he has been in or above the 90th percentile in goals per game. He even reached the 95th percentile his rookie season and this year.

The Devils need an elite offensive talent and I'd be willing to give up a lot for him. I don't know if the Devils would have the pieces the Hurricanes would want but I'd be willing to part with Larsson + 2015 1st + Boucher/Matteau + Ryder. I figure that gives the Hurricanes a NHL ready D who is under control for a few more years, a young forward also under control for a few more years, a decent draft pick, and a veteran forward who can contribute next year and also be flipped at the deadline.

The Devils have a lot of quality and depth coming through the blue line to withstand the loss of Larsson and acquiring Skinner would help offset the lack of young quality forwards in the system as they would have him for at least 5 years. Like I said though, highly unlikely something like this happens.

Yeah, my ideal summer has the Devils signing Stastny and dealing Henrique and Larsson for Jeff Skinner, in addition to other moves.  I'm not giving up the 2015 pick for anything - if Schneider gets hurt, that could be a top 5 pick for sure, regardless of what Skinner does.

Yeah, my ideal summer has the Devils signing Stastny and dealing Henrique and Larsson for Jeff Skinner, in addition to other moves.  I'm not giving up the 2015 pick for anything - if Schneider gets hurt, that could be a top 5 pick for sure, regardless of what Skinner does.

This says to me that you believe Larsson has very little upside.

I think you missed the entire gist of the thread being about who the team should sign or trade for. Obviously, we don't need any more bottom 6 players, but we do need at least 1 pure shooter, especially on the top line.

Yeah because no threads ever go off-topic ever, never any tangents.

Relax dude. And if you got past sentences one and two of my post, you'd see I agree with you (and addressed the topic). I was just replying to your dig on Ryder, that's all. He's not that bad. And yes, we need skilled forwards on the top line.

I'd say the opposite. Skinner's no joke and neither is his contract (in the long run); the Canes are gonna want a hell of a lot in return. If a trade like that went through with Henrique + Larsson being the pieces, instead of various first and second round picks + a player, it'd be a testament that we and Carolina both see the upside in Larsson. Two very good players might be what it takes to get one currently awesome and potentially superstar player.

Edited by DJ Eco

No - I think Larsson will be a pretty good player.  You just have to give to get, and they don't make scoring wingers like Jeff Skinner that often.  I am concerned about Larsson's ultimate ability to be used on the power play.

First off can we get a "LIKE" button, there i posts I would like but donot want to commetn on....

second. Devs need to GET YOUNGER!! we donot need anymore 33+ yr old players...

we need to sign some 28 to 30 year ols w/ 4 great years ahead of them,. not players on the downside...

i agree on not giving up 2015 pick. 

again, i don't see why the canes deal skinner at all. they'd want a very very good defenseman that's already there and signed to deal him. maybe they deal him for something like shattenkirk/paajarvi (not saying that the blues would do this - but that's the kind of talent).

while i think larsson and henrique is too much, that's probably because i'm not thinking about what else the devils would do and yes, a statsny signing goes a long way.

Yeah because no threads ever go off-topic ever, never any tangents.

Relax dude. And if you got past sentences one and two of my post, you'd see I agree with you (and addressed the topic). I was just replying to your dig on Ryder, that's all. He's not that bad. And yes, we need skilled forwards on the top line.

How's it a dig? Is the guy a top 6 forward? Exactly. As stated, the Devils need to make some acquisitions this off season and one should be a top 6 guy that is a shooter. If you want to think Ryder is that guy the I don't know what to say.

Anyway, what abou Staal? It looks like they may be shaking things up down there in the offseason.

Is Callahan a fit in any way?

Edited by hystyk28