Devils did someting right...

HellOnICE

A lot has been made with the Devils doing stuff to piss off STH, in the wake of their StubHub crusade and what not. But let's give some credit here. If their whole plan is raise the value of STH and show their customers more perks, more trinkets, more ways to make them feel loved  than they have started on a good path with what they did last night.

Last night pre-game, they held an event to Thank/Honor Season Ticket Holders who have had 25+ years of tickets. From what I understand they had something for the 30+ last week but do not know if they have anything coming up for 15+ or so....Anyway, it was an open bar/food event in the Goal Bar pregame, Matt Loughlin hosted the event which had Hugh Weber and others interact with the sth, thank them personally as well as did a little speech about some of the things they are trying to do for STH moving forward. Weber said they'll have more exclusive events with management, team and so on.

After the game, they did a "class photo" of the STH. The Devils want to build a family/club with their STH base and make them feel appreciated and a part of a club. It's good for business. It makes you feel compelled to keep buying into this club, aside from rough patches in the quality of the hockey. They've come along way from when you would buy season tickets, they'd send them in the mail, and that's what you got. Now they want to give more.  It's smart business.

Lastly, they are gifting them a customized jersey of their choosing with a 25th year STH logo patch and/or any of the patches from the Cup years.

Edited by HellOnICE

That's great. Be better if I had the money all these years to have been involved. Tough raising a family and forking over multiple thousands of dollars a year. Non-STH are loyal dedicated fans too.

Right, but they do have other, small ways of appreciating those fans as well.  I'm sure there are family nights, I know for a fact that they have college nights.  Fan appreciation games.  These fans fork over those thousands and even tho I'm not one of them, it makes sense to do these kinds of things.  Nothing wrong with making these people happy, and matter of fact, they have to. 

I noticed this the other night during the Minnesota game.  Thought it was awesome they featured the 30 year season ticket holders on the scoreboard throughout the game. Recognized so many of those faces from going to games for the last 26 years.  They deserve the honor and to feel special.  From what I think I heard, they'll be doing this for everyone with 10+ years as season ticket holders if I remember correctly.  

That's great. Be better if I had the money all these years to have been involved. Tough raising a family and forking over multiple thousands of dollars a year. Non-STH are loyal dedicated fans too.

Uck, just be happy for the fans who are being honored. In today's world everyone wants a piece of the pie, even if they didn't help make it.

Uck, just be happy for the fans who are being honored. In today's world everyone wants a piece of the pie, even if they didn't help make it.

I don't want to speak for jimmy, but I don't think he's looking to be honored on the scoreboard or anything, he just doesn't want to be treated as a "lower class fan"- which is what can easily be interpreted by the devils new aggressive approach of trying to neutralize the secondary ticket market.

It is absolutely great and appropriate for the team to honor these dedicated fans, all I would like is fair market price (ie stubhub) for single game tickets- I live out of town so I can only make it to two home games at most.

The magnitude of being that committed to a team for 30+ years is pretty amazing. There were enough bumps along the road that I'm sure they maybe would've not wanted to renew their tickets at some point, good on the Devils for honoring these people and the 20, 15, 10 years crowd coming up.

Edited by DJ Eco

I don't think they're insinuating that you're not. I think they offer plenty of opportunities for a family to catch a game or get a limited season ticket plan (6-10-20 games), the few giveaways here and there too, etc., and even if you can't swing it, nothing wrong with that.. But also, nothing wrong with honoring people who give $1500-10,000 a year for the past 20-30 years though, right?

Edited by DJ Eco

This thread is funny. There is nothing wrong with honoring the season ticket holders. They aren't saying they are better fans. But they certainly aren't going to honor me, although you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger fan, who only gets to 2 games a year because of work, daughter's schedule, finances, etc...

I don't think they're insinuating that you're not. I think they offer plenty of opportunities for a family to catch a game or get a limited season ticket plan (6-10-20 games), the few giveaways here and there too, etc., and even if you can't swing it, nothing wrong with that.. But also, nothing wrong with honoring people who give $1500-10,000 a year for the past 20-30 years though, right?

Well, looks like I will be that guy:

$1500 a year for 30 years.... damn that is still a lot of money.  Makes me wonder if any of them would have the guts to complain that years later they still have loans to pay off(student, mortgage, etc.)

Oh boy........all I was saying was I thought it was a good idea to honor those fans.

I have absolutely no issues not being "honored" nor do I expect anything. Just some over the years here have looked down on non-STH's as not being "true".

I don't pump the amount of dollars STH's do and the team relies on that. STH's deserve all they get.

Oh boy........all I was saying was I thought it was a good idea to honor those fans.

I have absolutely no issues not being "honored" nor do I expect anything. Just some over the years here have looked down on non-STH's as not being "true".

I don't pump the amount of dollars STH's do and the team relies on that. STH's deserve all they get.

Fair enough.

Just some over the years here have looked down on non-STH's as not being "true".

This is obviously not true. Not everyone can afford season tickets, and not everyone who could afford them has the time to make them worthwhile.  So I get what you're saying. 

A lot has been made with the Devils doing stuff to piss off STH, in the wake of their StubHub crusade and what not. But let's give some credit here. If their whole plan is raise the value of STH and show their customers more perks, more trinkets, more ways to make them feel loved  than they have started on a good path with what they did last night.

Last night pre-game, they held an event to Thank/Honor Season Ticket Holders who have had 25+ years of tickets. From what I understand they had something for the 30+ last week but do not know if they have anything coming up for 15+ or so....Anyway, it was an open bar/food event in the Goal Bar pregame, Matt Loughlin hosted the event which had Hugh Weber and others interact with the sth, thank them personally as well as did a little speech about some of the things they are trying to do for STH moving forward. Weber said they'll have more exclusive events with management, team and so on.

After the game, they did a "class photo" of the STH. The Devils want to build a family/club with their STH base and make them feel appreciated and a part of a club. It's good for business. It makes you feel compelled to keep buying into this club, aside from rough patches in the quality of the hockey. They've come along way from when you would buy season tickets, they'd send them in the mail, and that's what you got. Now they want to give more.  It's smart business.

Lastly, they are gifting them a customized jersey of their choosing with a 25th year STH logo patch and/or any of the patches from the Cup years.

Holy moley! There are people who've had season tickets for 30+ years?! Let me be the first to say that you folks are to core of the core of core of core... Okay, I'll stop, but you get the idea. How many of these people are there? It can't be many. I'd love to see the breakdown of 15, 20, 25, and 30.

In any event, all these peeps deserve a hearty thanks. They are the reason my beloved Devils are the one major franchise left in NJ.

Holy moley! There are people who've had season tickets for 30+ years?! Let me be the first to say that you folks are to core of the core of core of core... Okay, I'll stop, but you get the idea. How many of these people are there? It can't be many. I'd love to see the breakdown of 15, 20, 25, and 30.

In any event, all these peeps deserve a hearty thanks. They are the reason my beloved Devils are the one major franchise left in NJ.

I couldn't agree with you more. I was actually thinking they should be doing something way more special than what they are doing for them. 30 years in a row for anything is a long time. There are murderers that have done less time.

I agree with your basic premise completely.  However, I also get annoyed at the flipside of the coin.  It's easy for people who sit in the "cheap seats" to complain about STHs or those in the clubs or even the lower bowl.  The amount of money (high OR low) you spend following your team doesn't define your fandom.  I say this as a proud member of the Devils fanbase, but I feel like there is more infighting among NJD fans than any fanbase I've ever seen.  There are people at every game who make me cringe ("Shoooooot") but, at the end of the day, they're Devils fans and hockey fans and that should be embraced.

I couldn't agree with you more. I was actually thinking they should be doing something way more special than what they are doing for them. 30 years in a row for anything is a long time. There are murderers that have done less time.

There are jobs you can work for less time and collect a hefty pension afterward.

I agree with your basic premise completely.  However, I also get annoyed at the flipside of the coin.  It's easy for people who sit in the "cheap seats" to complain about STHs or those in the clubs or even the lower bowl.  The amount of money (high OR low) you spend following your team doesn't define your fandom.  I say this as a proud member of the Devils fanbase, but I feel like there is more infighting among NJD fans than any fanbase I've ever seen.  There are people at every game who make me cringe ("Shoooooot") but, at the end of the day, they're Devils fans and hockey fans and that should be embraced.

You should talk to old school Rangers fans and how they view "the Garden transformed" and the people they see attending the games in the lower bowl. Some of them actively boo when they show a famous person on the jumbotron, just to get a point across.

You should talk to old school Rangers fans and how they view "the Garden transformed" and the people they see attending the games in the lower bowl. Some of them actively boo when they show a famous person on the jumbotron, just to get a point across.

That's exactly what I am talking about.  We don't have as much of a problem at the Rock and there are people who are just there for the "free" food or to see and be seen, but that's not the case with a lot of lower bowl denizens.  I consider myself part of the middle class in this sense I guess and it bugs me whenever people decide who "real fans" are based on the face value of a ticket, either high or low.  I go to most home games and watch most away games live or on DVR.  That doesn't make me any more of a fan than someone who checks an app for scores and can never make it out to a game because he is busting his behind working nights to pay the bills or feed a family.  I'd love for there to be less infighting (for example, why can't the Diablos, Crazies, etc. all co-exist without hate from each other and the general population?).  It's just the way that our fanbase has developed and it's unfortunate.

• Like 1