Anyone going to STH Open Practice Tomorrow?

trailblazer

Exactly. It would be nice for this organization to understand the people who are buttering their bread have to work.

I'm an STH and there's no way i could go today, just like there's no way i can go to every game per season. Personally, i have no idea how people find the time to go every game, every event. Life has to get in the way sometimes, whether you have a job, family or you're a normal human being.

Why so many complaints??

I have a job. I work 65 hours a week.

I took the day off.

It was well worth it.

Great event!

Why so many complaints??

I have a job. I work 65 hours a week.

I took the day off.

It was well worth it.

Great event!

Maybe some people don't have that option. I can't cancel business meetings just to go watch practice. I am not complaining, but they could give more notice.

Yeah I had too little notice to put in for time off but I also just can't be spending my time off for an event like this.. I keep picking it because I keep hoping it'll be on a weekend but I guess that's not happening.. I only get a certain amount of days off and my boss won't let me make up time, so I can't attend these day events.. Kills the "benefit" aspect to me if I can't use it

Luckily next season will be some kind of points system so hopefully they have more events and some that I can actually attend

Maybe some people don't have that option. I can't cancel business meetings just to go watch practice. I am not complaining, but they could give more notice.

Exactly. Everyone's jobs are different with different responsibilities and that's not including having kids. You don't have to work 65 hours a week to understand that.

It seems to me that you put words into my mouth. If some people have the time and lifestyle to go during the day (and take kids out of school) then great on them. If the Devils have 10,000 STH accounts and there's, say, 1000 STH that went that's 1 in every 10 ( and out of that number in attendance are transferred entries to the event so the number of actual STH's make that number less). Compare that to numbers that climb much higher with events held on weekends. Don't you think it's time to review the timing or planning of this option? 

Do you have a solution or are you just complaining because you couldn't make it?  As was already pointed out, they have games just about every Saturday.  The only thing they could have done differently is to give more notice and maybe put a disclaimer when people pick their benefits that this one will probably be midday on a weekday, but it appears you wouldn't have been able to make it anyway.

They have a seperate autograph event at night (the team skate).  They have a seperate meet-and-greet on the weekend (the BBQ).  While it'd be nice if they had this event on the weekend too it just isn't possible with the condensed schedule this year even if they were inclined to do it - though I do think they're trying to keep from being overwhelmed with turnout at each event so they do it at different times.  

Literally the only weekend day during the season I could make an argument for them having the practice was October 20th - night after the Ranger game and with two days off before a trip to Columbus, but that was less than a month after the BBQ, they like to space these things out.  They had a Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday back to back eight out of ten weeks at one point between the end of November and mid-January and the other two weekends they were on the West Coast.  Next weekend after that was the outdoor game with all the NHL mandated stuff (the outdoor practice, etc).  They've had back-to-backs every weekend since the break.

Edited by NJDevs4978

I agree that the Devils could have given a little more notice. However, seems like the Devils are constantly getting ripped to shreds on this forum.

Unfortunately, they can't work around everyone's schedule. Can't please everyone. As someone mentioned before, devils were ranked #1 with team/STH events. I also suspect with our new ownership group, things will only get better. Today was a great event interesting watching the team practice. Awesome getting to meet and speak with some of the players. Couldn't get to everyone due to the lines but my nephew had a great time and that's all that matters

Edited by trailblazer

Do you have a solution or are you just complaining because you couldn't make it?  As was already pointed out, they have games just about every Saturday.  The only thing they could have done differently is to give more notice and maybe put a disclaimer when people pick their benefits that this one will probably be midday on a weekday, but it appears you wouldn't have been able to make it anyway.

The problem here is that some of you aren't relating to the fact that there are people who can not attend this if it's during the day. Period. As it's been pointed out, not everyone has a job they can or should blow off to attend a practice. 

They have a seperate autograph event at night (the team skate).  They have a seperate meet-and-greet on the weekend (the BBQ).  While it'd be nice if they had this event on the weekend too it just isn't possible with the condensed schedule this year even if they were inclined to do it - though I do think they're trying to keep from being overwhelmed with turnout at each event so they do it at different times.  

Literally the only weekend day during the season I could make an argument for them having the practice was October 20th - night after the Ranger game and with two days off before a trip to Columbus, but that was less than a month after the BBQ, they like to space these things out.  They had a Friday-Saturday or Saturday-Sunday back to back eight out of ten weeks at one point between the end of November and mid-January and the other two weekends they were on the West Coast.  Next weekend after that was the outdoor game with all the NHL mandated stuff (the outdoor practice, etc).  They've had back-to-backs every weekend since the break.

Those of you who mentioned about playing on the weekend, you're automatically assuming the team had absolutely ZERO time on the weekends. That's false. On a pure face value level, they did.

If you look at the schedule, here some dates: 10/27, 12/15, 12/29, 2/2, 3/9 (all Sunday). If you break it down it would go something like this: 

10/27- play in boston night before, next game is tuesday at home. (Pru center has concert that night). 
 12/15-home game night before, next game is home 12/18.   (Pru Center concert that night). 
12/29-play on long island night before, next game is home 12/31 (Pru Center no evens that night)
2/2-last game 1/31 in nashville, next game 2/3 at home (super bowl day)
3/9-home game night before, next game in philadelphia 3/11 (Pru Center has HS hockey tourney)

If there's going to be a debate about this, here's some material to work with now. It's not about time constraints, it's about discretion and that's two different things. Pete gave them the day off, or that a concert/HS tournament in the main arena happening 6 hours after the practice is somehow conflicting, or having it on Super Bowl Sunday....
Edited by TheRedStorm

The problem here is that some of you aren't relating to the fact that there are people who can not attend this if it's during the day. Period. As it's been pointed out, not everyone has a job they can or should blow off to attend a practice.

No sh!t some people can't make it during the day.  There is nobody in this thread that doesn't understand that.  That is my point in that I don't understand what your solution is since even if they gave more advanced notice you wouldn't have been able to attend anyway.  Guess what--some people ARE able to go during the day, and maybe they couldn't make it to the BBQ or some other season ticket holder event.

If you look at the schedule, here some dates: 10/27, 12/15, 12/29, 2/2, 3/9 (all Sunday). If you break it down it would go something like this: 

10/27- play in boston night before, next game is tuesday at home. (Pru center has concert that night). 
 12/15-home game night before, next game is home 12/18.   (Pru Center concert that night). 
12/29-play on long island night before, next game is home 12/31 (Pru Center no evens that night)
2/2-last game 1/31 in nashville, next game 2/3 at home (super bowl day)
3/9-home game night before, next game in philadelphia 3/11 (Pru Center has HS hockey tourney)

If there's going to be a debate about this, here's some material to work with now. It's not about time constraints, it's about discretion and that's two different things. Pete gave them the day off, or that a concert/HS tournament in the main arena happening 6 hours after the practice is somehow conflicting, or having it on Super Bowl Sunday....

Those of you who mentioned about playing on the weekend, you're automatically assuming the team had absolutely ZERO time on the weekends. That's false. On a pure face value level, they did.

I'm confused as to what you're saying here.  You're saying they had time on the weekends, and then you give reasons why those days didn't work.  Are you trying to say that they could have made those days work if they really wanted to?  Maybe they did have some weekend practices but for whatever reason it was just not a good day for them to hold this event.  This isn't about putting on a show for the fans, practice is about the players and they just happened to open one up to the fans as a perk for the season ticket holders.  I am sure that everyone involved in this decision understands that more people could attend on a weekend because many people (like themselves) have weekday 9-5 jobs. 

They could have given more advanced notice, I'll agree with those who have said that, but since that wouldn't have mattered in your case I don't know what they could have done to make you happy.

No sh!t some people can't make it during the day.  There is nobody in this thread that doesn't understand that.  That is my point in that I don't understand what your solution is since even if they gave more advanced notice you wouldn't have been able to attend anyway.  Guess what--some people ARE able to go during the day, and maybe they couldn't make it to the BBQ or some other season ticket holder event.

I'm confused as to what you're saying here.  You're saying they had time on the weekends, and then you give reasons why those days didn't work.  Are you trying to say that they could have made those days work if they really wanted to?  Maybe they did have some weekend practices but for whatever reason it was just not a good day for them to hold this event.  This isn't about putting on a show for the fans, practice is about the players and they just happened to open one up to the fans as a perk for the season ticket holders.  I am sure that everyone involved in this decision understands that more people could attend on a weekend because many people (like themselves) have weekday 9-5 jobs. 

They could have given more advanced notice, I'll agree with those who have said that, but since that wouldn't have mattered in your case I don't know what they could have done to make you happy.

This is a perk that should not be held on a weekday. Even so, operating on that kind of short notice window you're impacting it further. There's a reason only 750-1000 (allegedly) attended. That's not even taking into consideration the important fact that actual STH number is watered down due to entry transfers to non-STH. This is a perk that needs reviewing, unless you go by the theory that 4978 guy is trying to insinuate about them overwhelmed and this is done on purpose to keep the crowd at a certain level.

To say the Devils had no days to do this on the weekend is false. That was proven incorrect 5 times based on schedule. I provided a few possible reasons, based on what i found, why it could have impacted the Devils not having it on those dates. However, yes, i am saying if the Devils wanted to have it on any of those dates above they could have. A HS tourney and a concert 6 hours later shouldn't (and won't) impact a practice session that ends at lunch time. 

I think trying to keep the attendance from being too high for this might be a legitimate reason.  Assuming this was held in the practice rink, there isn't that much seating in there.  Also having it the same day as another event may not seem that big a deal but it is more complicated than having it on a day when there's nothing else going on because you would need about 12 hours of operations staffing.  Also was was just pointed out, some of the Sundays you pointed out are the day after a back-to-back, and a lot of those times they were also off on Monday so it would seem as though they would much rather practice on the Monday than the Sunday.

Whatever the case, I'm sure they had some good reason for having it on a weekday.  These people for the most part have weekday 9-5 jobs too, I'm sure they fully understand that it is easier to attend on a weekend.  It probably just wasn't possible to have it on a weekend, and really it's probably not something they would be bending over backwards to make happen since it is just a perk and not really a revenue-generating event.

Edited by devilsfan26

There's no way they're ever having a practice on Sunday after a back to back on Friday and Saturday.

That's the primary thing wrong with most of the examples above.

If you go by that theory, that's possible as it's discretion, but there's two dates they didn't. 10/27 and the most ideal date of all to have had this, 2/2 (even though it was super bowl day).

Edited by TheRedStorm

If they had it the day of the Super Bowl, people would have been just as annoyed and as someone mentioned earlier, they try to space these things out so the one in October wouldn't have been very good since there was a BBQ or some other event early in the season.  Of the entire season, you are now down to two days that you assume would have worked better.  Have you contacted your ticket rep to ask why this was done on a weekday?

If they had it the day of the Super Bowl, people would have been just as annoyed and as someone mentioned earlier, they try to space these things out so the one in October wouldn't have been very good since there was a BBQ or some other event early in the season.  Of the entire season, you are now down to two days that you assume would have worked better.  Have you contacted your ticket rep to ask why this was done on a weekday?

The fvcking Super Bowl starts at like 6:30 at night. Whether you are watching it at home or going to a party, a practice that ends at lunch impacts your day/night?

Edited by TheRedStorm

1) it was on the main rink

2) it was a perk that not every STH was entitled to.

3) they don't often practice on the main rink for a multitude of reasons and this practice would have to be done on the main rink

4) devils needed a decent arena staff on hand to manage the event - might not be as plausible on a weekend

5) bbq is a weekend event. skate is a night event. practice is a weekday event - seems to me they're taking care of everyone trying to spread out when these events happen.

there was an article written last week about perks clubs give to their STH. The Devils were at the very top. Anyone complaining about what the Devils give to their STH are just not being realistic and almost complaining for complainings sake.

Technically every single sth could attend the team practice if they wanted and were able to, difference being the lesser tenured sth's only get to pick one of the player events beforehand so if you can only pick one you might shy away from the practice if you know it'll be on a weekday.

Edited by NJDevs4978

there was an article written last week about perks clubs give to their STH. The Devils were at the very top. Anyone complaining about what the Devils give to their STH are just not being realistic and almost complaining for complainings sake.

Let's get real here, these perks are offered because they NEED to do something to entice people to become STH's. I know it was a factor in me becoming a STH and I know several others that feel the same way. Again, the have come a long way in even running these events, but they should really give more than a weeks notice for them.

Edited by hystyk28