Brodeur Article, name dropping where he might want to play, reveals wh

'7'

Marty got about 37 starts this year and has been complaining to the press for the last few weeks that he believes he is still not getting enough playing time.  There is no way I could see either of those teams, let alone any team, give him more than that.  I really do think he will not be satisfied unless he gets 60+ starts.

I think the number in his head is 50.  He would be "OK" with that.  He would probably grudgingly "tolerate" a split for the right team. 

He should realize that he'll be lucky to have a job at all next season, but clearly he's not capable of accepting the present yet...just wish he'd work through this on his own or with family and friends, and not through media quotes that aren't making him look good.

I'm just worried that if no one gives him what he wants he'll come crawling back and Lou will give him a one year deal and he'll get the same amount of games he had this year.

Calgary is really the only team I can see giving him those games. But they were pretty good towards the end of the year. Maybe they'll have a Colorado like turnaround depending on who they draft this year.

Maybe a team that wants to tank for McDavid will sign Marty and give him 60 games. So maybe he'll end up with the Pens.

Only way Calgary wants him is if they're all in for McDavid

I'm just worried that if no one gives him what he wants he'll come crawling back and Lou will give him a one year deal and he'll get the same amount of games he had this year.

Calgary is really the only team I can see giving him those games. But they were pretty good towards the end of the year. Maybe they'll have a Colorado like turnaround depending on who they draft this year.

Maybe a team that wants to tank for McDavid will sign Marty and give him 60 games. So maybe he'll end up with the Pens.

I can see why that is a worry as Lou's leash has seemingly gotten longer over the past few years with his players.  Plus with Brodeur I could see him just not being able to help himself and sign him to a 1-year deal.  Like CR1976 has said in previous posts Lou's decision on what to do with Marty during the off-season will truly be the test as to whether Lou has officially jumped the shark or not.  Right now I feel it is a 50-50 chance unfortuantely.

As for teams tanking, I bet a few will at least try but I would think they wouldn't sign Marty because they might have a worry that he will have a little surprise surge like he did in the 2nd half of the 2011-12 season.

Seriously, he played 37 (probably will end up 38 or 39) games this year.  How much more does he want?  He's talking as if Cory got 60.  

If you don't want to be a backup, retire.  Either retire as a starter, or accept your new role as a backup.  And just for the love of God and for all of your fans, shut your God damn mouth already Marty.  

Also, can't help but :lol: when I remember thinking "Oh this will be great, Marty can mentor Cory for a year before he goes".  Marty's ego can't apparently handle the role of mentor.

Edited by Devilsfan118

I think the number in his head is 50.  He would be "OK" with that.  He would probably grudgingly "tolerate" a split for the right team. 

He should realize that he'll be lucky to have a job at all next season, but clearly he's not capable of accepting the present yet...just wish he'd work through this on his own or with family and friends, and not through media quotes that aren't making him look good.

I have a feeling it is higher.  I don't think he wants to be known as 1A or the marginal starter.  He want to be "the man" that he was for almost 20 years in NJ.

I really wonder if Marty would be more inclined to retire if he somehow did reach the 700 win mark this year.  I have a strange feeling that's kinda what he has been shooting for.  I know its still somewhat of a conspiracy theory but I think it has some merit.  Between the 3 lockouts he has missed a solid 2 years worth of games and he played a solid 2/3 of his career when there were still ties.  I really think that maybe somewhere in the back of his mind that he is worried about that record being broken now that ties are now either wins or losses and he wants to be so far ahead to where he feels comfortable that that would never be beaten.

But again that is just still a theory of mine.

Marty can't compete for the starting job on any team in the league.

He is having a hard time accepting that he is not good anymore but deep down he knows. He has said so pretty clearly "I am trying to prove to myself that I can still play" (or something of the sort) and that he doesn't 'necessarily need to go to a team where he can start" (or something of the sort).

He wouldn't have at least a shot on the Island?!?

At this point I think the Brodeur/Lou divorce is pretty much official.

If Marty really can't find any takers, will his pride allow him to come back to Lou with hat in hand?  I can't see it....there has been too much damage already over the past couple of months....

I can see why that is a worry as Lou's leash has seemingly gotten longer over the past few years with his players.  Plus with Brodeur I could see him just not being able to help himself and sign him to a 1-year deal.  Like CR1976 has said in previous posts Lou's decision on what to do with Marty during the off-season will truly be the test as to whether Lou has officially jumped the shark or not.  Right now I feel it is a 50-50 chance unfortuantely.

As for teams tanking, I bet a few will at least try but I would think they wouldn't sign Marty because they might have a worry that he will have a little surprise surge like he did in the 2nd half of the 2011-12 season.

If Lou resigns Marty, he should be canned immediately.

I love Marty, he is my all time favorite player.

But the way this season unfolded was nauseating.  We cannot bring Marty back under any circumstance.   Cory is the future and losing him to free agency would be a devastating blow to the organization.

I have a feeling it is higher.  I don't think he wants to be known as 1A or the marginal starter.  He want to be "the man" that he was for almost 20 years in NJ.

I really wonder if Marty would be more inclined to retire if he somehow did reach the 700 win mark this year.  I have a strange feeling that's kinda what he has been shooting for.  I know its still somewhat of a conspiracy theory but I think it has some merit.  Between the 3 lockouts he has missed a solid 2 years worth of games and he played a solid 2/3 of his career when there were still ties.  I really think that maybe somewhere in the back of his mind that he is worried about that record being broken now that ties are now either wins or losses and he wants to be so far ahead to where he feels comfortable that that would never be beaten.

But again that is just still a theory of mine.

IMHO his record as it stands now will not be broken

It would take a special, special player to even sniff the record

Think about it; someone would need 17 consecutive 40 win seasons to even hit 680

Most players/goaltenders do not even enjoy a 17 year career.  A potential record breaker would have to come into the league very young, and play on a solid team(s) for 17 years straight; while still performing at a high level and getting 65-70 starts.

I just can't see it ever happening....

EDIT:  But I totally agree he wants that fat round 7-0-0

He also had a telling quote a couple weeks ago about how he wants his youngest son to have memories of him playing.  I can understand it....but all of the bloodshed quotes to the media were unnecessary and over the top for sure.

Edited by ThreeCups

With the Leafs desire to constantly do wacky things, plus the addition of friend-of-Marty Shanahan, I wonder if Marty goes north to hang out with Clarky. Does it make sense? No. But if there's a team that would take that kind of step for headlines, it's the Leafs.

A friend mentioned this when the Shanny news was coming out last night....

I know Shanny and Marty are friends, or at least friendly with one another....but he can't be that stupid, can he?!?

R.I.P.  Shanahammer Suspension Videos...I will miss those indeed

A friend mentioned this when the Shanny news was coming out last night....

I know Shanny and Marty are friends, or at least friendly with one another....but he can't be that stupid, can he?!?

R.I.P.  Shanahammer Suspension Videos...I will miss those indeed

I don't think he's stupid but if there's one team I can see making that kind of mistake after blowing it this season, it's the good ole Leafs. The media up there runs that team.

This. Lou cuts ties, he's had some bad luck, but I still trust him. We go in next year with Marty on the roster and Sal still playing over Larsson, he's done.

Imagine: Marty could come out before the game today and say "You know, I have been thinking, and it's been hard for me to accept, but it's time for me to put down the goalie mask. I know I have said a lot of things in the media lately but please understand it has just been very difficult for me to see the end on the horizon. All I know is hockey, all I know is the Red and Black, all I know is my glove and the crease between the pipes. I love the game, I love the Devils, and I love the fans, but this is indeed, the end for me behind the mask."

Then Debo could announce Marty as the starter vs. the Bruins today and we'd have time to celebrate the last moments of Marty in a fashion not unlike the last game of Rivera.

Okay back to reality....

i dont want another slow useless forward but were still stuck with zubrus for two more years.

This makes absolutely no sense for this conversation. Calling Zubrus of all people useless is unintelligent.

This team can find many backup goalies with a better save percentage than .900. 

This makes absolutely no sense for this conversation. Calling Zubrus of all people useless is unintelligent.

This team can find many backup goalies with a better save percentage than .900.

i was just stating since you are clearly a fan of zubrus and he is a useless dead weight player... but youre going on about brodeur being shot which everyone already knows.. he wouldnt be a bad back up. zubrus on the other hand is past his days hes garbage now he does nothing i dont even wana hear about how "good he is along the boards" hes clapped out hes not the same as he was when he was a little bit younger he can be replaced with something that will score more then 12 goals a season

i was just stating since you are clearly a fan of zubrus and he is a useless dead weight player... but youre going on about brodeur being shot which everyone already knows.. he wouldnt be a bad back up. zubrus on the other hand is past his days hes garbage now he does nothing i dont even wana hear about how "good he is along the boards" hes clapped out hes not the same as he was when he was a little bit younger he can be replaced with something that will score more then 12 goals a season

Haha and yet Zubrus is one of the few players on this team with a decent plus minus rating, if he was garbage his rating would be atrocious with the likes of Ryder Bernier or Brunner. I stated many times and you can go through my posts that Zubrus is starting to wear down but by no means is he useless. What other guys can play PK, PP (when needed) Left Wing Center Right Wing on the third second or first line? Zubrus is a good player to have and a great teammate and he isn't losing us games like Brodeur. Zubrus is a good third liner to have but he's been forced to play top 6 minutes due to our lack of depth. Zubrus is not garbage and the fact you changed the conversation to him really shows how weak your argument for Brodeur is. Will he be a good backup? Possibly but there are quite a few better choices out there, don't be delusional. 

Edited by Zubie#8

not a matter of being delusional... i never said brodeur would be the best back up choice for the team i just said i wouldnt mind having him come back next season playing in a back up role.. i then stated since you said there would be someone else better for the job that there would be plenty of players that i would much rather have in zubrus's slot as he has gone way far down hill and has aged.. yet were stuck with his 12 goals a season for another 2 years.. i guess we dont all get what we want.

not a matter of being delusional... i never said brodeur would be the best back up choice for the team i just said i wouldnt mind having him come back next season playing in a back up role.. i then stated since you said there would be someone else better for the job that there would be plenty of players that i would much rather have in zubrus's slot as he has gone way far down hill and has aged.. yet were stuck with his 12 goals a season for another 2 years.. i guess we dont all get what we want.

Stuck with his great two way play? You are selling Zubrus way short he contributes a lot. It's never bad to have a Pandolfo Madden Brylin type player on the team and that is what Zubrus is for us now.

Let's get this back on to Brodeur. I don't think he would make a great backup since there are many better options, options with less baggage like not whining to the media and what not. This franchise definitely needs a new chapter and it needs to be without Brodeur.

Edited by Zubie#8

yea i dont particularly care for some of the comments hes made but i guess at this point hes clearly pissed off about no longer being the starting goalie and maybe even the way the devils went about it he stated that he was surprised when he heard that they acquired him from the canucks which means the devils never discussed anything about the change coming this season.. probably felt blind sided and screwed over after all the years hes been here im sure he took it as a big FU

Haha and yet Zubrus is one of the few players on this team with a decent plus minus rating, if he was garbage his rating would be atrocious with the likes of Ryder Bernier or Brunner. I stated many times and you can go through my posts that Zubrus is starting to wear down but by no means is he useless. What other guys can play PK, PP (when needed) Left Wing Center Right Wing on the third second or first line? Zubrus is a good player to have and a great teammate and he isn't losing us games like Brodeur. Zubrus is a good third liner to have but he's been forced to play top 6 minutes due to our lack of depth. Zubrus is not garbage and the fact you changed the conversation to him really shows how weak your argument for Brodeur is. Will he be a good backup? Possibly but there are quite a few better choices out there, don't be delusional. 

This entirely. Zubs is limited, but still valuable if used right. Using Marty right is chaining his ass to the bench.

• Like 1