Is anyone else concerned with this ownership?

ghdi

I'm beginning to think that hoping Vanderbeek would be out may bite those of us that felt that way in the ass. The reason being, is the complete disintegration of the 76ers. They've had a rough go in terms of injuries, but they also have made some really awful trades and seem to be very much a penny-pinching franchise. Harris bought a playoff team when he purchased the Sixers (they had made the playoffs 4 out of the past 5 before Harris bought the team) and now they're arguably the laughingstock of the NBA. Player personnel issues clearly fall to the GM, but the owner likely approves moves.

Obviously, this is possibly a premature discussion to be having, but with ownership clearly making changes to save money and with the 76ers being complete trash, Im beginning to wonder if they'll invest in this team enough to help us reach contention again. I guess this offseason for both franchises will say a lot.

Edited by ghdi

NBA is very different than the nhl in that if you aren't a top 5-10 team you really have no hope, so everyone enters the season already looking to rebuild.

Also the only point I will worry is if for some reason they push Lou out the door unwillingly.

I'm not.  The 76ers are blowing up their team on purpose because that's really the only way to go anywhere in the NBA.  The Sixers made the playoffs, but they never won a round, and they weren't going to win a round with how they were constituted.  That's how things go in the NBA - the worst thing to be is an average team.  We'll see how this tank job fares in 5 or 6 years - the trouble is that there are always 5 or 6 other teams trying to lose and the NBA lottery is very luck driven so you never know who will end up with what.

Nope. Give them a full year to implement their plans for the arena and fan experience. Remember they were sold kinda close to the season so I don't think this ownership could do all they wanted to. My brother tells me the fan experience is pretty good at 76ers games when he had to work there once.

Besides tanking is a more viable shortterm option considering the lack of a farm system for players and how a draft pick can immediately change things. ( I know the D league but you aren't grooming superstars there just at best a good starter in a blue moon)

Also who is the GM right now? Same guy since I was born.

Edited by roomtemp

Eh, not really. I like them better than that miserable tightwad miser McMullen. Things havent gone all that smoothly in regards to fan relations but in time those issues should get ironed out.

not sure if this is sarcastic but if not what was bad about McMullen? I admittedly was too young to really care about ownership back then (only seriously started following in the late 90's) but I would think we as fans owe a great deal of respect toward the guy who brought the team to nj. Is there something i don't know about?

I'm not. The 76ers are blowing up their team on purpose because that's really the only way to go anywhere in the NBA. The Sixers made the playoffs, but they never won a round, and they weren't going to win a round with how they were constituted. That's how things go in the NBA - the worst thing to be is an average team. We'll see how this tank job fares in 5 or 6 years - the trouble is that there are always 5 or 6 other teams trying to lose and the NBA lottery is very luck driven so you never know who will end up with what.

The Sixers beat the Bulls not too long ago in the first round, and Harris was in his 1st year as owner.

not sure if this is sarcastic but if not what was bad about McMullen? I admittedly was too young to really care about ownership back then (only seriously started following in the late 90's) but I would think we as fans owe a great deal of respect toward the guy who brought the team to nj. Is there something i don't know about?

McMullen nickeled and dimed many things during his ownership.  For those of you who complain about the "atmosphere" and how Devils marketing is now, you should have seen it during his time.  Marketing didn't even exist and the Devils never had a marketing department until JVB.

Fans are also quick to praise McMullen for bringing the team to NJ, but in 1995 he was a heartbeat away from moving the team out to Nashville.  Devils fans seem to want to place all the blame for that on Bettman, but they have to remember that McMullen was the one who wanted out.  Thank friggin god we won the cup that year.

Nope. Give them a full year to implement their plans for the arena and fan experience. Remember they were sold kinda close to the season so I don't think this ownership could do all they wanted to.

Also who is the GM right now? Same guy since I was born.

Yea, the timing of the sale limited Harris in terms of making changes, I think this offseason will say a lot for both us and the 76ers.

That said, Lou is over 70 years old. He wont be GM for much longer and its not out of the question to think that this could be his last year. Harris could feasibly make a change this coming offseason.

I do think this thread is premature, but I don't think anyone can say for a certainty that this ownership will be looking to put the best team on the ice until we see a full offseason with Harris as owner. And in his years with the 76ers, they've absolutely not done that. That's the only thing Im worried about. I don't care about STH changes or even if he made a GM change at this point either. I think Harris bought the team largely b/c of The Rock. Id not be surprised if the arena is worth more than the team and is also likely more profitable.

The 76ers have done an incredible job over the last year. They took a risk a two years ago under different management for a young star center  (Andrew Bynum). It was a disaster, and he never played a second for the organization. The last year has been outstanding. They hired one of the brightest minds in basketball, are full of draft picks, and are losing by design.

They have 3 players on their entire team that are good enough to play in the NBA. Only 1 of those 3 is any good. In a star studded draft, they will most likely get a star player and another great player from a pick that they fleeced a team at the draft by trading a good, but not spectacular player for Nerlens Noel (a center that was rumoured to go 1st overall but dropped after it was known he would miss the entire season) and a 1st round pick the following season (will be a pick around 10-12). Then they can work on spending money on veteran talent to fill out their roster.

Their GM said today: "[Getting a star] was the most important challenge available in my last job and in this one. The game is star-driven. Get one".  They are going to have two next season.

That's the goal and ownership is trusting management even if it's a bit embarrassing Their fans understand as well.

Sixer's are tanking. On purpose. But Milwaukee is doing a better job of it somehow. Theybafe re building. Tbeh have a lot of picks, which us WHY they traded their players. They want to get that super special dude this year and others along the way.

Edited by CarterforPresident

I'm a 76ers fan in addition to a Devils fan, and I have no problem with what the 76ers are doing.  As others have noted, in the NBA if you are a mid-level team that makes the playoffs most seasons but isn't a championship contender, you are perpetually stuck in the netherworld of never becoming a championship contender.  You really need a superstar, and preferably two superstars (or at least a superstar and a star plus caliber player), to win NBA championships.  The 76ers as they were constituted for about 3 year period (2009-2012) had a nice team with a lot of good complementary players, the kind of guys who help you win an NBA title as your 3rd to 8th best players, and they played a smart brand of basketball.  Unfortunately, they didn't have a superstar, and they weren't in a position to easily acquire one either.  (The disastrous Andrew Bynum deal was their attempt to get a player who could tilt the court for them; unfortunately he only ever tilted the bench.)

By doing what they are doing, the 76ers have a chance to get multiple superstar or at least star plus players on their roster.  The Michael Carter-Williams draft pick this past season looks like a genius move right now, and they made a very calculated move to trade for Nerlens Noel (who hasn't played this season but was thought by many to be the best pro prospect in last year's draft; because of an injury he suffered last season in college, he dropped to the #6 pick in last year's draft however).  Assuming the 76ers don't get screwed in this year's NBA draft lottery, they'll have a top 3 pick (their own) and roughly the #10 pick (also acquired from New Orleans in the Noel deal) in what is considered to be a deep draft.  (New Orleans will keep their first round pick if it is in the top 5; the only way that will happen is if they win one of the top 3 spots in the lottery, which is a slim possibility right now.)  If the young guys the 76ers have and will have turn into star players (a big if), they could turn into a legitimate NBA championship contender within 3 years.

Man the NBA sounds awful. What a joke league.

And I really don't like the new owners and their team of a$$hole msg execs. They'll probably spend the bare minimum on our team so long as they have just enough people paying full price on season tickets! But don't you dare re-sell your ST or the wrath of God will smite thee.

And I really don't like the new owners and their team of a$$hole msg execs. They'll probably spend the bare minimum on our team so long as they have just enough people paying full price on season tickets! But don't you dare re-sell your ST or the wrath of God will smite thee.

The issue with how to construct NBA championship-caliber teams isn't purely an NBA thing; to a large degree it is related to the nature of basketball.  (The way the NBA's salary cap is set up does make it more difficult to acquire superstar caliber players via trade or free agency however.)  With basketball teams having such small rosters, a superstar-caliber player has a greater impact on his team's fortunes over a season than individual players in other sports.  (I say over a season because some specific positions in other sports, namely goalies in hockey and pitchers in baseball, can have an even bigger impact on a team's success in a single game.)  Individual players strongly influencing their teams' success has been true throughout the history of basketball and the NBA, going back to George Mikan in the late 1940s and early 1950s; Bill Russell, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Larry Bird, David Robinson, and LeBron James are just a few of the examples of players who single-handedly significantly improved their teams as soon as they joined them.

I wonder if Harris would have even bought the team if The Rock wasn't included in the purchase.