Is anyone else concerned with this ownership?

ghdi

• 2 months later...

Just a bump here because the OP brought up ownership concerns because of the 76ers.

Fascinating stuff what the 76ers are doing in the NBA. After a dreadful season that was basically the most obvious tank ever (The 76ers had only two legit NBA players on their roster half the season), they use their 3rd pick on the arguably the most talented player in the draft -- a player that had back injury concerns before the season ended and then dropped from 1st overall after a foot fracture was discovered that might make him miss his 1st season.

This was basically the same thing as last year when the 76ers traded their best player for a lottery pick that might have gone first overall before a hand injury kept him out the entire season. With their 2nd pick (10th overall), they take Dario Saric  -- he just signed a deal overseas and won't be able to come over to the NBA for two seasons. They actually dropped two spots to make that pick and receive a future 1st round pick to do so.

3 awesome moves by a GM that must have full support from ownership because they are going to be atrocious again next year. Two top 10 picks, and two players that won't play on their team next season.

Well, we know this is not Lou's philosophy. He won't actively take a step back, but Lou might not be a GM forever. These owners have invested heavily in analytics for the 76ers They brought this to the Lou and the Devils. They went to Bettman to try and get their pick. It's already interesting with Lou around. It's going to be a lot more interesting to see what happens when Lou's time is up in NJ.

Edited by devilsrule33

I am worried about them making money available to Lou to use at his will. We need a good product on the ice. Will they let him open the reigns and allow him to make an offer if he so chooses that allows him to rival that of a big market team..i.e. Front loaded or signing bonus heavy deal. 52 for 7 years let's say but buyout protected if most of the payments are made in a lumpsum July 1st. I feel like that's what the market is these days.

Just a bump here because the OP brought up ownership concerns because of the 76ers.

Fascinating stuff what the 76ers are doing in the NBA. After a dreadful season that was basically the most obvious tank ever (The 76ers had only two legit NBA players on their roster half the season), they use their 3rd pick on the arguably the most talented player in the draft -- a player that had back injury concerns before the season ended and then dropped from 1st overall after a foot fracture was discovered that might make him miss his 1st season.

This was basically the same thing as last year when the 76ers traded their best player for a lottery pick that might have gone first overall before a hand injury kept him out the entire season. With their 2nd pick (10th overall), they take Dario Saric -- he just signed a deal overseas and won't be able to come over to the NBA for two seasons.

3 awesome moves by a GM that must have full support from ownership because they are going to be atrocious again next year. Two top 10 picks, and two players that won't play on their team next season.

Well, we know this is not Lou's philosophy. He won't actively take a step back, but Lou might not be a GM forever. These owners have invested heavily in analytics for the 76ers They brought this to the Lou and the Devils. They went to Bettman to try and get their pick. It's already interesting with Lou around. It's going to be a lot more interesting to see what happens when Lou's time is up in NJ.

It's a really bad comparison. A really bad one.

There is zero parity in the NBA, and then you can turn things around very quickly with one or two players. That's really the only option that half if not more of the teams in the NBA really have, and it still doesn't pan out for most of the teams that try it. It also doesn't help that it's very rare to get a great player past the top ten picks in the draft that turns into a great player.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am also wondering if they would let him use buyouts. We don't know. You would have to assume yes. You don't get into sports to sell Corporate Partners on a weak team.

I don't think it would be an issue. They're not buying out a LeCavalier or Luongo deal.

There is zero parity in the NBA, and then you can turn things around very quickly with one or two players. That's really the only option that half if not more of the teams in the NBA really have, and it still doesn't pan out for most of the teams that try it. It also doesn't help that it's very rare to get a great player past the top ten picks in the draft that turns into a great player.

We'll disagree. It succeeds and fails just as often for teams in the NBA than it does for NHL teams. But I am not comparing the NHL and NBA rebuilding options...just that there are owners that are willing to be very patient and suffer to get better.

You can definitely do that at the NHL level. Buffalo had a new owner that promised to spend and spend and spend. Only problem was the free agents sucked and no one wanted to go to Buffalo. They've realized their mistakes and a new GM is ready to rebuild with drafting and player development.

Anyway, there is a very special player in next year's draft. You might have owners telling their GMs to get better at all cost, and there might be other owners that realize the best way to get better is to not actively try to improve this season.

It does help that these owners have already doubled their investment since buying the 76ers. They bought the 76ers a few years back for under $300 million. The Bucks were sold this past season for just under $600 million (easily regarded as the worst franchise in the NBA with an the oldest arena in the NBA). The 76ers would probably be sold for $700 million today.

We'll disagree. It succeeds and fails just as often for teams in the NBA than it does for NHL teams. But I am not comparing the NHL and NBA rebuilding options...just that there are owners that are willing to be very patient and suffer to get better.

You can definitely do that at the NHL level. Buffalo had a new owner that promised to spend and spend and spend. Only problem was the free agents sucked and no one wanted to go to Buffalo. They've realized their mistakes and a new GM is ready to rebuild with drafting and player development.

Anyway, there is a very special player in next year's draft. You might have owners telling their GMs to get better at all cost, and there might be other owners that realize the best way to get better is to not actively try to improve this season.

It does help that these owners have already doubled their investment since buying the 76ers. They bought the 76ers a few years back for under $300 million. The Bucks were sold this past season for just under $600 million (easily regarded as the worst franchise in the NBA with an the oldest arena in the NBA). The 76ers would probably be sold for $700 million today.

It's not that tanking can't work in the NHL. It's that most teams don't really have to do it, and it takes a long time for it to be a fruitful strategy, unlike the NBA where you really only need two or three players to compete for a championship. Basically, McDavid cannot turn a team around all on his own. The right player in the NBA draft can.

Also, you can wind up with elite players beyond the lottery slots in the NHL. That's an extreme rarity in the NBA draft.

I was about to say exactly this. In the nba there are maybe 5 teams any year that can legitimately win a championship, if you're not one of those five you might as well tear it down and hope to land a prime time player to take you to that level. In the nhl anything can happen once you make the playoffs. You don't need a player on the level of Crosby, Tavares or ovechkin to win.

It's nice to try to get insight on what these owners might be like, but this really doesn't say much IMO. The sixers aren't looking to compete this year or next.

Also I really doubt harris actually dictated in any way the personnel decisions of the sixers.

Edited by dmann422

I'll also point out that they've hired a boatload of top executives to come in and run our arena.. The arena is a big deal to keeping this franchise here, so it's critical that it make money

I also love what I'm hearing about changes with the food vendor and a "reimagined upper concourse".. They are investing heavily and doing it with Jersey pride in mind.. Can't wait to see what other changes they have in store

Guess we will see how much they allow Lou to spend this offseason but I'm excited to see what happens.. If we get a big UFA, I want a Josh Harris signed 16x20 in my living room