This has to be the most frustrating season I've seen as a fan

roomtemp

There's no comparison between this and that.   They were mindbogglingly bad.   This team tries, they just suck.   I remember trying to convince myself they had a chance at the end of November where they won that shootout game against the Flyers where the mighty Adam Mair scored.   Then December came.

When you include all the off-ice bs from Kovalchuk leaving in the offseason to the dumbass contreversies over the goal song/fan brokers and Marty whining every five minutes, this season's been one never ending bad drama.

I hate this season and the past year. This team is miserable to watch. Add that to the fact of the nonsense with the goal change and the devils calling season ticket holders scalpers and the bs never seems to have stopped this year.

I'm ready for this season to end and I can then go be agggravated at the Red Bulls awful start to their season.

When you include all the off-ice bs from Kovalchuk leaving in the offseason to the dumbass contreversies over the goal song/fan brokers and Marty whining every five minutes, this season's been one never ending bad drama.

add in 0-100000 in shootouts. Winter Classic humiliation (thanks Marty).

Honestly this feels like rock bottom. Though I suppose it says something about the franchise when rock bottom is still over .500 and in the playoff race (albeit barely)

What does a high Corsi and 25 shots mean if you're not scoring and not winning? Jagr has 1 point in his last 5 games. He can take all the shots he wants, that does not win us games. Nor has it. You can't argue he is keeping us afloat when we are not producing. He may be worn out or he may just be temporarily cooling down, either ways the decrease in production has been felt.

It means that you're doing good things, the things that leads to scoring which then leads to winning. Hockey is a process, not a miracle.

I really feel like the 2nd half of that season has everyone forgetting how bad the 1st half was. Kovalchuk had 4 goals in the first 2 months of the season. Parise was out for the year. Langenbrunner was still here being Langenbrunner. For some reason Olivier Magnan Grenier played like 20 games. (When people complain about Larsson being in the minors, one should remind them of a time when both Magnan and Corrente played for NJ). Brodeur looked like garbage and there was a vocal group failing to acknowledge it (okay, that does remind me of this season).

I agree with you. That first half with Mac was waaaaaayyyyyyyy worse, not even close as far as I am concerned.

I agree with you. That first half with Mac was waaaaaayyyyyyyy worse, not even close as far as I am concerned.

I remember the off-season prior. "Elias, Parise, Kovalchuk, Devils certainly won't have any trouble filling up the net!" boomed out on TSN and then we all know what happened. Expectations were high and then crushed.

The '95-'96 and the '07-'08 teams were tough watches.  I still don't know how Sutter squeezed 99 points of the '08 team. 

Forgot to mention the 2001-02 team.  They went from 295 GF and being one of the most entertaining teams in the NHL to 205 GF and often maddening to watch...they also managed to get the coach who had led them to consecutive SC Finals canned.  They won 14 out of their final 18 GP that season under Kevin Constantine, but even then they seemed to question his style at every turn (Brodeur sure did in his book)...I don't know what that team's problem was, but they seemed to act as though they were above having to listen to anyone.  I went to the playoff game where Carolina eliminated them (a 1-0 loss for the Devils), and five minutes into the game I told my then-future wife "They're getting shut out tonight.  They have nothing."  She told me to be optimistic, but they had no life whatsoever...it would've been one thing if the Devils had been playing hard but was extremely unlucky, or Carolina was playing incredibly well, but it just felt like they weren't into it at all, and couldn't wait to get off the ice.  They were pretty heartily booed during the last minute of play and after the game.    

Forgot to mention the 2001-02 team.  They went from 295 GF and being one of the most entertaining teams in the NHL to 205 GF and often maddening to watch...they also managed to get the coach who had led them to consecutive SC Finals canned.  They won 14 out of their final 18 GP that season under Kevin Constantine, but even then they seemed to question his style at every turn (Brodeur sure did in his book)...I don't know what that team's problem was, but they seemed to act as though they were above having to listen to anyone.  I went to the playoff game where Carolina eliminated them (a 1-0 loss for the Devils), and five minutes into the game I told my then-future wife "They're getting shut out tonight.  They have nothing."  She told me to be optimistic, but they had no life whatsoever...it would've been one thing if the Devils had been playing hard but was extremely unlucky, or Carolina was playing incredibly well, but it just felt like they weren't into it at all, and couldn't wait to get off the ice.  They were pretty heartily booed during the last minute of play and after the game.    

And then pretty much the same team (minus Holik, Sykora, plus Friesen, Gionta) won the Cup the next year. Life has been good for us.

And then pretty much the same team (minus Holik, Sykora, plus Friesen, Gionta) won the Cup the next year. Life has been good for us.

Lou rightly recognized that team needed some changes.  His trading Arnott pretty much showed that he didn't think that, if the Devils had been left intact, they'd do much in the 2001-02 playoffs.  Of course, losing Mogilny hurt...not sure what Lou offered him, but I coul definitely understand why he might have been cautious...Mogilny's 2001 season was a contract year, he had only played in 160 regular season games total in the previous three seasons, and had never been much of a playoff performer (9 goals and 14 assists in 48 playoff games as a Devil).   

Every season they donot make the playoffs is painful to me... '96 was brutal! The lack of effort in that final game was so painful to watch.

But this year is realy bad too. I think the frustrating part for me is that its seems this team has no legs left, which translates into a lack of effort... Forget the shoot outs, how many games have we blown leads, and not just 1 goal leads, 2 goal leads late in the 2nd or begining of the third. I just think this team has gotten tired, and that frustrates me becuase I think it happend last yeart as well, and in the off season we got older instead of younger...

The assertion was that he is worn out.  If he was worn out, we should see that appear on other ways than on the goals and assists sheet, because goals and assists are random events buried within shots on goal and passes and so forth.  Since it doesn't look like Jagr's game is out of sorts at all other than that the puck isn't going in the net, I don't see any rationale for calling him worn out.

I hate to break this to you, but you rely way too heavily on stats and indicators to determine who is "worn out".  Goals and assists are not merely "random events buried within shots on goal and passes".   I don't know if you've ever played hockey before, be it for fun or in a competitive league (my guess is no otherwise you probably wouldn't make a statement like that), but to score a goal in hockey, particularly at the NHL level, requires a high degree of individual skill.  Sure it's a team game and there are situations where a fluke bounce or favorable break occurs that results in a goal, which is usually when you see "goons" or 4th line grind players score here and there, but for the most part it's a calculated effort and you have to have the ability to pick corners on a goalie, blast a shot by him, or what have you.  I think all NHLers would feel insulted seeing you minimize their efforts for scoring goals and tallying assists.  When it happens, usually it's not a 'random act'.

Jagr was our best player for 50 or even 75% of the season because he is arguably the most skilled.  His productivity has definitely slowed and it is without a doubt because he is in fact worn out.  He's 42 years old and an 82 game season is taxing on him.  He went lights out and set the pace quickly by leading us in almost all stat categories, and as admirable as his work ethic and performance has been, he can't keep it going forever and the steam is fading. It's not a knock on him at all, it's just reality.

Edited by NJDfan1711

I hate to break this to you, but you rely way too heavily on stats and indicators to determine who is "worn out".  Goals and assists are not merely "random events buried within shots on goal and passes".   I don't know if you've ever played hockey before, be it for fun or in a competitive league (my guess is no otherwise you probably wouldn't make a statement like that), but to score a goal in hockey, particularly at the NHL level, requires a high degree of individual skill.  Sure it's a team game and there are situations where a fluke bounce or favorable break occurs that results in a goal, which is usually when you see "goons" or 4th line grind players score here and there, but for the most part it's a calculated effort and you have to have the ability to pick corners on a goalie, blast a shot by him, or what have you.  I think all NHLers would feel insulted seeing you minimize their efforts for scoring goals and tallying assists.  When it happens, usually it's not a 'random act'.

Jagr was our best player for 50 or even 75% of the season because he is arguably the most skilled.  His productivity has definitely slowed and it is without a doubt because he is in fact worn out.  He's 42 years old and an 82 game season is taxing on him.  He went lights out and set the pace quickly by leading us in almost all stat categories, and as admirable as his work ethic and performance has been, he can't keep it going forever and the steam is fading. It's not a knock on him at all, it's just reality.

As someone who has more or less come over to that way of thinking the best way I can explain it is that, except for a few very special players like Stamkos and Crosby, or a few very bad ones, most forwards have very similar shooting percentages over time.  So much of the skill comes in just getting a shot on goal, or some people would say, close enough to the goal.  Despite those morons in the stands that reflexively yell "shoot", enough of the time, a shot on goal is more than simply throwing the puck at the net and hoping for a tip or a funny bounce, or a throw away shot towards the net from beyond the blue line.  And "randomness" is not just a funny bounce or a softy.  It's the other team's goalie playing well at the right time, and making unbelievable saves, or at least more of them.  It can also be the shooter guessing wrong on where to place an otherwise open shot, or a bunch of other things. 

I guess you could say there are some gray areas, and it's possible that someone that's as old as Jagr will start missing something from his shot as the season progresses.  But the same way people look for a every possible explanation to show that the numbers aren't the end all be all, other people have to expect criticism about relying mostly on what they see.

Can't agree with much here.

Jagr has been fine lately. The Islanders TV crew was talking about asking Deboer if Jagr was worn out, and he responded by saying that "we just finished 4 in 6 nights, and in the 4th game, Jagr was our best weapon." And it is true. He had 6 shots on goal against Toronto in that game.

Last 5 games SOG: 6,4,6,4,5

Plenty of good passing plays as well. He's been fine.

Jagr is fine, the idea that he is worn out is ridiculous.  The fact that he is still consistently our best player each night is what the problem is.  Other players need to play to that level as well.  Jagr may be 42, but he keeps himself is ridiculously good shape throughout the season and the offseason.  Many people point to his last season in Boston where he didn't do much in the playoffs and to the SCF, but why can't the great Jaromir Jagr have a cold-streak, even if it's at the completely worst possible time?

Look up some of Jagr's training videos and see how hard he works to stay in shape.  Yeah, his speed & acceleration might start to lack towards the end of the season, but again, its hard to say that when he is consistently the best player we ice on the nightly basis.

Edited by RizzMB30

NJDFan1711, if you start looking at points strictly in a vacuum, you're going to miss a lot of nuances.  It's possible to have a terrific game (or games) with multiple solid scoring chances where the goalie comes up huge, and come away with no points.  It's also possible to have a one-goal, two-assist game where the goalie flubbed an often easy save, and the two assists were secondaries where the player really didn't do much other than touch the puck at the right time.  There is definitely a degree of randomess to offensive numbers.  I agree with dr33...Jagr has been fine, just not getting puck luck at the moment.   

I don't want to speak on msweet's behalf but I believe he did not intend to start a debate on how much gas Jagr has left in the tank, but to say that one of the only good things about this team's season was having the privilege to watch Jagr in a Devils jersey but even that novelty has worn off. Maybe I interpreted it wrong, but I don't think he meant that Jagr is done.

I can't wait for this season to be over because I'm completely sick of the NJ.com circle of idiots begging Marty for comments about where he will be next season and him reciprocating while we are in the middle of desperation time. I simply don't care where he will be next year... as long as it isn't here, and I NEVER thought I would think that way. Incredibly disappointed in him.

I think Jagr is fine. When someone questioned him in the beginning of the year, he pointed out that last year, he played the most games he had ever played between the season, playoffs, Europe, etc...over 100 games. 

He's old but simply put (and the Islanders' announcers even referred to it during the last game), the dude is a freak of nature. It happens. I feel like he could play next year and beyond that. 

I also agree that it has been an absolute pleasure watching him this year. I always knew he was a great player but to be able to watch him over 70+ games was very nice. And he still amazes me, he has some of the best hands I have ever seen, he hardly ever loses the puck, hardly misses the net, all around probably the best overall player the Devils have ever had, albeit not during the prime nor most productive part of his career. 

NJDFan1711, if you start looking at points strictly in a vacuum, you're going to miss a lot of nuances.  It's possible to have a terrific game (or games) with multiple solid scoring chances where the goalie comes up huge, and come away with no points.  It's also possible to have a one-goal, two-assist game where the goalie flubbed an often easy save, and the two assists were secondaries where the player really didn't do much other than touch the puck at the right time.  There is definitely a degree of randomess to offensive numbers.  I agree with dr33...Jagr has been fine, just not getting puck luck at the moment.   

I'm not looking at points in a vacuum. I definitely understand that there are many intangibles so-to-speak that don't show up in the box score after a game and a player can still have an excellent night without scoring or getting an assist, but to discredit the guys who score 30-40+ goals a year or get 50-60+ assists and suggest they they're only better than 3rd or 4th line guys simply because of a good bounce here or there and "puck luck" is both naïve and unfounded.  The guys you speak of that get a goal and two assists on a given night are usually exactly what I referred to -- a fluke bounce here or there, a tip-in, deflection, or an opposing goalie maybe making a rare mistake.  That's not how Jagr amassed 700 goal though.  Again, taking nothing away from him, he's had an amazing year and we couldn't ask for more, especially considering his age, but it's starting to show a little bit now that the season is wrapping up.

I respect everyone's opinion and I'm not here to change your mind, however nothing here has convinced me otherwise that an 82 game season isn't taking it's toll on our 42 yr old superstar.  In fact, someone else just supported the cause for me in the quote that Jagr apparently said himself... "we just finished 4 in 6" -- what more proof do you need than coming from the horse's mouth himself?  He might as well have said "I am worn out" lol.  If he was still in his 20s, or hell, even his early to mid 30s maybe that doesn't effect him as much, but at his age, you can clearly see he's exhausted.