GDT - 3/31/14 - Panthers vs Devils - 7:30pm

Mike Brown

We deserved a night like this.

Pretty nice 4-point night for a player that is clearly out of gas. Seriously, there needs to be a "thank you Jagr chant" at some point at the end of the season. In a season so miserable, it's been a privilege to watch one of the greatest ever wear a Devils sweater for one season. What a career.

Since there is a good portion of fans that think Brodeur having more wins than Cory for most of the year is of any relevance...only fitting that Brodeur got the win tonight. He said all he cares about is the win, so be happy Marty.

Take a look at Sykora's stats from that year and then edit that statement.

Disagree, differences are minimal. 

17 goals (with 7 to play) vs. 21 goals. Big deal. 

Worth noting that Sykora played himself out of the lineup in the middle of the playoffs after holding a spot on the second line all year + when he wasn't he was sat in close games in favor for Bernier with Zubrus and Elias in third periods. 

Sykora played 1110 minutes and had 139 shots opposed to Ryder who's played 945 and had 113 shots. Sykora might have been a little better, but I stand by my original statement that they are similar players.

Ryder's most common linemates are both shoot first players in Henrique and Clowe while Sykora was glued to Elias - 75% of the time Sykora was out with Patty. Had Ryder spent more time with Patty, I think we see a spike in his numbers.

stats and number from hockeyanalysis and behind the net

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Yes tell me more about josefsons defensive prowess guys....

This again?

YOU were the one saying that Tedenby was far better than Josefson and started that whole conversation last season and you have been sour about him ever since. JoJo is an actual NHL player whereas Tedenby is trash. Josefson needs to play over Gionta. That fourth line is at its best with Josefson between Carter and Bernier and thats the way it should be. Josefson has the tools to be a Pandolfo type player, the guy needs to be given a chance. 

Edited by Zubie#8

We deserved a night like this.

Pretty nice 4-point night for a player that is clearly out of gas. Seriously, there needs to be a "thank you Jagr chant" at some point at the end of the season. In a season so miserable, it's been a privilege to watch one of the greatest ever wear a Devils sweater for one season. What a career.

Since there is a good portion of fans that think Brodeur having more wins than Cory for most of the year is of any relevance...only fitting that Brodeur got the win tonight. He said all he cares about is the win, so be happy Marty.

Ah some fresh straw man.

But you had to take a shot...

Edited by Neb00rs

Brodeur's save% back down to .900.  Didn't think it would stay at .903 for long. 

All I kept thinking about was the "old goal horn" playoff game against Panthers in 2012...glad this one turned out a whole lot differently.

They beat Buffalo tonight and suddenly they're 3-0-2 in their last five (even though it sure doesn't feel like it).

Brodeur's save% back down to .900.  Didn't think it would stay at .903 for long. 

All I kept thinking about was the "old goal horn" playoff game against Panthers in 2012...glad this one turned out a whole lot differently.

They beat Buffalo tonight and suddenly they're 3-0-2 in their last five (even though it sure doesn't feel like it).

Do you honestly think any of that was his fault last night?   I actually feel bad for the guy now.  You could see last night during the celebration after the last horn everyone was doing their normal high-fives and of course Brodeur and others went over to Cory to congratulate him on a good half game played, but you could see on Marty's face he just wasn't happy, and who can blame him?  Cory looked like a hero (and rightfully so to some degree because he did play well when called upon), but I can't think of any other goalie in the league, Cory included, that would've stopped all 3 of those goals, or even 2 of them.  They weren't getting many shots on net, but the ones they did get were due to a team fvcking coasting on a 3-0 early cushion on a double minor powerplay, and a ridiculous deflection 5 feet in front of the crease on yet another PP.   I can't say it enough...if I were Brodeur, or any goalie, I would have been livid last night.  You have a chance to curb stomp a team which could have been a 7-0 or 8-1 romping (something that almost NEVER happens for us), and what do you do?  Play like fvcking dogsh!t and leave the other team hanging around in the game until basically 10 minutes left in the 3rd.    

As great as it was to put up 6 goals and see our top line really flourish and get a much needed win and 2 points, there was still a LOT to pissed about last night, particularly yin the first two periods.  As a fan of this team for more than two decades I have high expectations and that was unacceptable to me.  I got to watch the game on NBCSN rather than my laptop last night which is always a treat for me because there's no lag and the quality is obviously superior, but I was barely even happy when they got the 5th and 6th goals, that's how pissed I was.

Here's hoping tonight is better overall and we get another needed win vs a VERY weak opponent (1-8-1 in their last 10)

I wasn't ripping Marty really...more pointing out that pucks have a way of getting past him about 10% of the time now overall, and it's not a new trend.  This dates back to the start of last season.  

I think the best part of last night was when we were up 3-0 and Zidlicky and I think Brunner? were dipsy doodling (as Cangi would say) around two guys and they got a decent scoring chance. They were having fun. Haven't seen that in awhile. Then sh!t got serious when is was 3-2 lol.

I was surprised to see Marty pulled. So was Marty.  

We also saw Clowe for the last time this year. I know everyone here hates his salary buy I'd rather he be paid to play, personally. And of course, this after I decided to order a Clowe jersey.

Do you honestly think any of that was his fault last night?   I actually feel bad for the guy now.  You could see last night during the celebration after the last horn everyone was doing their normal high-fives and of course Brodeur and others went over to Cory to congratulate him on a good half game played, but you could see on Marty's face he just wasn't happy, and who can blame him?  Cory looked like a hero (and rightfully so to some degree because he did play well when called upon), but I can't think of any other goalie in the league, Cory included, that would've stopped all 3 of those goals, or even 2 of them.  They weren't getting many shots on net, but the ones they did get were due to a team fvcking coasting on a 3-0 early cushion on a double minor powerplay, and a ridiculous deflection 5 feet in front of the crease on yet another PP.   I can't say it enough...if I were Brodeur, or any goalie, I would have been livid last night.  You have a chance to curb stomp a team which could have been a 7-0 or 8-1 romping (something that almost NEVER happens for us), and what do you do?  Play like fvcking dogsh!t and leave the other team hanging around in the game until basically 10 minutes left in the 3rd.    

Um yes I think a good goalie would have stopped at least 1 if not 2 of those goals. Marty is terrible, he has 1 good game every once and a while but to many marty apologists think its 6 years ago or something. He is terribly inconsistent which you can't have in an NHL goal tender.

Edited by Sneax

As great as it was to put up 6 goals and see our top line really flourish and get a much needed win and 2 points, there was still a LOT to pissed about last night, particularly yin the first two periods.  As a fan of this team for more than two decades I have high expectations and that was unacceptable to me.  I got to watch the game on NBCSN rather than my laptop last night which is always a treat for me because there's no lag and the quality is obviously superior, but I was barely even happy when they got the 5th and 6th goals, that's how pissed I was.

Here's hoping tonight is better overall and we get another needed win vs a VERY weak opponent (1-8-1 in their last 10)

More excuses for Brodeur. He has an .900 save %. He is a absurdly bad goaltender. None of the goals Brodeur allowed were unstoppable, and a good goalie gets 2 of those. Brodeur couldn't get one. If Deboer didn't pull him Marty would've turned this into another Columbus or Edmonton or NYR Winter Classic or early December gag job to Montreal (3 goals on 17 shots), or home opener softie fest to Grabner and the Isles. I'm sure none of those were his fault either...just ask him.

Cory looked like a hero (and rightfully so to some degree because he did play well when called upon), but I can't think of any other goalie in the league, Cory included, that would've stopped all 3 of those goals, or even 2 of them.

On the flipside, not many goalies around the league aren't pulled after letting 3 goals in 8 shots. Probably none.