Larsson Back on Emergency Call-Up

msweet

Are you sure though? does penciling those 2 regulars means letting Zids go? Just so Salvador and A-Train sill have a spot for sure? Zids may not be the greatest defensively but he's been huge getting us some production and creating plays.

Salvador somehow has to go, there's no other way around it and i'll be incredibly pissed if he's still there next season

I don't think either of those two being in the lineup mean Zidlicky has to go. If they trust Gelinas to have a spot, Zid is gone. I definitely think the Devils need an offensive component in the lineup each night on D. I really hope it can be Gelinas, but his defensive play needs a ton of work. I'm not sure who in the organization is going to teach him either.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I said this in the chat last night: Larsson playing the year in the AHL could be the best thing for him and the organization. The key thing is that Merrill took his spot this season, no one else. So what do we have? We have two young defenseman that we know are 100% ready to be in the NHL next season and play a lot. 

Merrill has gotten accustomed to the NHL game and is a regular in the lineup from here on out.

Larsson is in a great situation in Albany getting a ton of minutes in all situations. He's playing -- never a guarantee in NJ and gaining more and more confidence.

I feel great, and I bet Lou does too that he can pencil in both as regulars next season. It will help him finally make the right decisions on the defense in the off-season.

I agree entirely, and yes, Zidlicky should go.  Zidlicky's spot should be given to Eric Gelinas, they are both equally bad on the defensive side of the puck, but Gelinas put in Zidlicky's role will not only improve our powerplay over the course of a season, you can give Gelinas very sheltered minutes if he is the #5 or #6 guy.  Lou does need to change it up on defense, but who would you rather have Sterio? Mark Fayne or Marek Zidlicky? Because both of them are not coming back.

I agree entirely, and yes, Zidlicky should go.  Zidlicky's spot should be given to Eric Gelinas, they are both equally bad on the defensive side of the puck, but Gelinas put in Zidlicky's role will not only improve our powerplay over the course of a season, you can give Gelinas very sheltered minutes if he is the #5 or #6 guy.  Lou does need to change it up on defense, but who would you rather have Sterio? Mark Fayne or Marek Zidlicky? Because both of them are not coming back.

Green Merril

Larsson Gelinas

Volch Fayne

Zids Harrold

Thats what i'd like to see if we'd really have to carry 8 dmen.... even then if i had to cut another one it would be Harrold. There's absolutely no spot for Salvador

you say we should get rid of Zid cause Gelinas can do his job? How about we get rid of Salvador cause Volch or a fvcking cone could do his? honestly he's way over the hill and overpaid for what he's bringing

Edited by SterioDesign

What did he do during those 21 games that got him DEMOTED?? The guy was the #4 pick in the draft, some of you act like the Devils are the only team that would have picked him!!  

Actually if you listen to the radio broadcast they interviewed him, and he said everything you wanbted to hear, he was not upset about AHL, loved the idea of playing the most minutes and playing all aspects, PP, PK & 5 on 5 in the closing minutes every night. So why all the venom towards this kid??

I personally think LL did him wrong, and would not be surprised if he held it against NJ, thankfully this does not seem to be the case...

He didn't do anything wrong. He got injured at the wrong time and when he came back, got sent to the AHL. No one said no one else would take him. All I said was he's 21 years old and time in the AHL isn't hurting him. He has no reason to be "asking out" of the organization as someone suggested.

No one "did him wrong" either. He was sent down for experience and he got plenty of it. He's supposed to be a big piece of the future here, so there's no reason to think playing all situations in the AHL would somehow upset him.

He's 21 playing in the AHL. What reason does he have to be disgruntled?

Because our NHL defense is full of sh!t like Salvador, Harold, Volchenkov, Merrill and Gelinas (with their rookie mistakes). And, Lars was playing well up here. Furthermore, the NHL club has not been playing well. Thats why he has reason to be disgruntled. Fortunately, he doesnt seem to have that attitude.

Edited by devlman

Green Merril

Larsson Gelinas

Volch Fayne

Zids Harrold

Thats what i'd like to see if we'd really have to carry 8 dmen.... even then if i had to cut another one it would be Harrold. There's absolutely no spot for Salvador

you say we should get rid of Zid cause Gelinas can do his job? How about we get rid of Salvador cause Volch or a fvcking cone could do his? honestly he's way over the hill and overpaid for what he's bringing

I lol'd reading your bit on Sal and Volch, this is true, while Zidlicky isnt the guy that I want to see go, he's the easiest to simply not re-sign, Sal and Volch both have at least 2 years.  I don't see LL buying out Sal or Volch, so they have to be there.  I envision

Greene-Fayne

Larsson-Merril

Sal-Volch

Harrold/Gelinas

However wishful thinking it may be, I do want to show Sal and Volch the door.  And sew the 'C' on Greene's sweater. Do you recall the TMZ footage, where after losing in game 6 in the SCF, I remember Greene appearing very father-like and like a leader in this situation, kind of watching over the younger guys(Henrique), herding them into the limo

So why isn't gelinas in teh AHL learning how to play "D"? its great fro Larsson but not for Gelinas?? Makes no sense, Since Larson is better then him in every aspect except the shot...

On to another topic..

On teh NBCSN broadcast they put up a list of 6 d men that LL has ammassed that will be the future, obvisouly Larsson, Merril 7 Gelinas were 3, then Severson & Santini i think were 2 other, anyone know the 6th? and are the other 3 true NHl prospects

So why isn't gelinas in teh AHL learning how to play "D"? its great fro Larsson but not for Gelinas?? Makes no sense, Since Larson is better then him in every aspect except the shot...

On to another topic..

On teh NBCSN broadcast they put up a list of 6 d men that LL has ammassed that will be the future, obvisouly Larsson, Merril 7 Gelinas were 3, then Severson & Santini i think were 2 other, anyone know the 6th? and are the other 3 true NHl prospects

Gelinas isn't in the AHL because when he plays, the powerplay in arguably a top 5, if not top 5, then a top 10 powerplay in the league.  Merril also see's PP time as well.  Those 2 bring something to the table offensively at least at times.  Do you want to know what DOES make sense?  We have too many defensemen to fit all of these young guys in the lineup, bottom line.  Larsson also got hurt and it was time for him to bite the bullet and do his time in the A, nothing wrong with that nor does it reflect poorly on Larsson.  I know I sound like a Gelinas homer in this post, but Gelinas has done almost 3 years in the AHL, it's NHL or trade him at this point.

As for the other dman, let me think....Larsson, Merril, Gelinas, Severson, Santini,  maybe Reece Scarlett? Or Brandon Burlon?

Edited by RizzMB30

Gelinas isn't in the AHL because when he plays, the powerplay in arguably a top 5, if not top 5, then a top 10 powerplay in the league.  Merril also see's PP time as well.  Those 2 bring something to the table offensively at least someone.  Do you want to know what DOES make sense?  We have too many defensemen to fit all of these young guys in the lineup, bottom line.  Larsson also got hurt and it was time for him to bite the bullet and do his time in the A.  I know I sound like a Gelinas homer in this post, but Gelinas has done almost 3 years in the AHL, it's NHL or trade him at this point.

yes the power play is better with him, but the team basically plays down a man when he is on the ice 5 v 5... 3 yrs in the AHL and still has no clue how to play "D"... the Devs cannot play a full season w/ 5 .5 dmen... he NEEDS to play both ends of the ice and if not, then trade him!

Gelinas defense hasn't been that bad.  He had a stretch when he played with Larsson where he had a solid stretch defensively.  Ever since Larsson got injured to the time he got sent down initially was when he was bad.  Ever since the Olympics, he's been decent defensively.  We need Gelinas in the lineup no matter what.  

Gelinas defense hasn't been that bad.  He had a stretch when he played with Larsson where he had a solid stretch defensively.  Ever since Larsson got injured to the time he got sent down initially was when he was bad.  Ever since the Olympics, he's been decent defensively.  We need Gelinas in the lineup no matter what.

Disagree, there have been plenty of games where his mistakes have lead to goals, I know the Bruins & Wild games he was on the ice for a bunch of goals...

I love Gelly as much as the next, imo, he should be the 5th, or 6th dman. And on the power play. 5v5 he's worse then Zids defensively.

One day I can hope.. Our defensive pairs are as follows:

Greene-Gelinas

Larsson-Merill

Santini-Severson

Looks nice on paper.

Edited by CarterforPresident

Because our NHL defense is full of sh!t like Salvador, Harold, Volchenkov, Merrill and Gelinas (with their rookie mistakes). And, Lars was playing well up here. Furthermore, the NHL club has not been playing well. Thats why he has reason to be disgruntled. Fortunately, he doesnt seem to have that attitude.

By that reasoning, every young player in the AHL should be disgruntled. Larsson started playing well when he got the added responsibility of playing with Gelinas. Then he missed 21 games with an injury, but he was starting to show he could take the next step.  Where is a good place for Larsson to get used to playing big minutes, on the powerplay, on the PK, and in important game situations? The AHL. It will do wonders for his development to get used to the added pressure. Larsson wasn't going to decide the playoffs. They want him able to play 24 minutes like Greene does.

It's the same idea as having an assistant coach in the NHL, then moving him to head coach in the AHL and seeing how he does in the position before making him an NHL head coach.

By that reasoning, every young player in the AHL should be disgruntled. Larsson started playing well when he got the added responsibility of playing with Gelinas. Then he missed 21 games with an injury, but he was starting to show he could take the next step.  Where is a good place for Larsson to get used to playing big minutes, on the powerplay, on the PK, and in important game situations? The AHL. It will do wonders for his development to get used to the added pressure. Larsson wasn't going to decide the playoffs. They want him able to play 24 minutes like Greene does.

It's the same idea as having an assistant coach in the NHL, then moving him to head coach in the AHL and seeing how he does in the position before making him an NHL head coach.

I'm not arguing that Albany isnt good for Larsson or that him being here is the difference between the playoffs and tee time. I am saying that he has reason to be disgruntled. He is not just any young player in Albany since he has lots of NHL games under his belt already. With that said, why isnt Merrill the one in Albany gaining experience, considering how vastly inexperienced he is? What about Harrold and Gelinas? As I said, I'm glad he doesnt have a disgruntled attitude, but he has reasons to be.

I'm not arguing that Albany isnt good for Larsson or that him being here is the difference between the playoffs and tee time. I am saying that he has reason to be disgruntled. He is not just any young player in Albany since he has lots of NHL games under his belt already. With that said, why isnt Merrill the one in Albany gaining experience, considering how vastly inexperienced he is? What about Harrold and Gelinas? As I said, I'm glad he doesnt have a disgruntled attitude, but he has reasons to be.

Because Merrill isn't expected to step into that big of a role yet. The Devils are priming Larsson for a bigger NHL role next year. It wouldn't shock me to see Merrill get an assignment like this one next season so he's ready to step it up in 2015-16. Harrold is a 6/7 guy and they aren't going to expect much more out of him. Gelinas got sent down for a bit, but they needed his offense, even though it's at the expense of defense.

Because Merrill isn't expected to step into that big of a role yet. The Devils are priming Larsson for a bigger NHL role next year. It wouldn't shock me to see Merrill get an assignment like this one next season so he's ready to step it up in 2015-16. Harrold is a 6/7 guy and they aren't going to expect much more out of him. Gelinas got sent down for a bit, but they needed his offense, even though it's at the expense of defense.

No, that would be terrible.  Merrill belongs in the NHL without question.  He's 22 years old and is clearly ready for regular duty in the NHL.

Larsson has not demonstrated that he's better, or even as good as Merrill. 

On a side note, I'm saying it now: there is something wrong with that kid Merrill. He's got a screw loose.

Still, he's been a responsible defenseman, especially for a kid.

What do you mean he's got a screw loose? evidence?

On a side note, I'm saying it now: there is something wrong with that kid Merrill. He's got a screw loose.

Still, he's been a responsible defenseman, especially for a kid.

Are you basing that off his suspension in college years ago?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Larsson is steady, physical and one of the smartest young players in the league.

We don't deserve the playoff's this year, and I would actually love to see PDB just play the kids the rest of the way.

Merril, Gelinas and Larsson are going to be the foundation of this team the next decade.   We are in very, very good shape on D moving forward.