Larsson Back on Emergency Call-Up

msweet

Larsson is steady, physical and one of the smartest young players in the league.

We don't deserve the playoff's this year, and I would actually love to see PDB just play the kids the rest of the way.

Merril, Gelinas and Larsson are going to be the foundation of this team the next decade.   We are in very, very good shape on D moving forward.

Agree. But don't forget about Fayne. Hopefully he doesn't walk.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What do you mean he's got a screw loose? evidence?

No evidence. Just my opinion. Didn't claim it as fact. He just seems not all there. You're welcome to hate on that opinion.

Are you basing that off his suspension in college years ago?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Nope. That wouldn't be fair.

I imagine that being hit as hard into the boards and in the face as Merrill has been this season that any screws he's got would be loose.

Fair point.

Larsson has not demonstrated that he's better, or even as good as Merrill.

Lol please stop. I like Merrill's potential, but until he actually plays post season hockey and learns to skate like an NHL'er, don't compare him to Larsson. People have short memories...

Edited by devlman

Lol please stop. I like Merrill's potential, but until he actually plays post season hockey and learns to skate like an NHL'er, don't compare him to Larsson. People have short memories...

What does playing the postseason have to do with Merrill and Larsson?  If I had to choose between taking Merrill and Larsson for a game tomorrow, I easily take Merrill.  If I'm looking to pick between the 2 long term then I think I'd have a coin flip on my hands.

That's not really a knock on Larsson, but a compliment to Merrill.  Merrill has been pretty effective with the exception being against very physical opponents.

Taylor Hall hasn't sniffed the playoffs. So obviously he's not as good as Henrique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Larson skate? hah.  Merrill's already 100 times the defensemen Larsson is. I still have hope for Larsson but he'll never be a good skater.  #3 in his last year was a better skater than Larsson is now.

Larson skate? hah.  Merrill's already 100 times the defensemen Larsson is. I still have hope for Larsson but he'll never be a good skater.  #3 in his last year was a better skater than Larsson is now.

This is such crap, no offense.  Merril's had a decent rookie season, but he's got nothing on Larsson's rookie and sophomore seasons.  The kid has poise beyond his years and almost always makes the smart play.  There is so much more to playing defense than skating, but that's all you guys seem to harp on.

But I guess people have short memories, I know I do at times.  And I suspect this has something to do with Larsson doing almost all the small things consistently well.  You never notice when he's out there - which is a good thing.  Larsson will be as steady a top-4 defenseman as they come in this league.  Hopefully he exceeds that into a top-pairing role, but we'll see.

Edit:  Not to mention the fact that Larsson came in and played in the NHl as a freakin 18 year old kid. AND he put up better scoring numbers than Merril has this season.  I'm not knocking Merril - I think and hope that he's going to be a great defenseman too.  But to discredit Larsson while praising Merill is absurd.  Come on people.  Merril's 22 this season..he's a year Larsson's senior, and it took him almost 4 years longer to break into the league.

Edited by Devilsfan118

This is such crap.  Merril's had a decent rookie season, but he's got nothing on Larsson's rookie and sophomore seasons.  The kid has poise beyond his years and almost always makes the smart play.  There is so much more to playing defense than skating, but that's all you guys seem to harp on.

But I guess people have short memories, I know I do at times.  And I suspect this has something to do with Larsson doing almost all the small things consistently well.  You never notice when he's out there - which is a good thing.  Larsson will be as steady a top-4 defenseman as they come in this league.  Hopefully he exceeds that into a top-pairing role, but we'll see.

Edit:  Not to mention the fact that Larsson came in and played in the NHl as a freakin 18 year old kid. AND he put up better scoring numbers than Merril has this season.  I'm not knocking Merril - I think and hope that he's going to be a great defenseman too.  But to discredit Larsson while praising Merill is absurd.  Come on people.  Merril's 22 this season..he's a year Larsson's senior, and it took him almost 4 years longer to break into the league.

This is his 1st pro season. Didn't take him longer at all.  Forgetting age, I think Merrill has been every bit if not a better than Larsson in their respective rookie seasons.

Good news is we are debating two players that will be on the Devils blue line next season.

This is his 1st pro season. Didn't take him longer at all.  Forgetting age, I think Merrill has been every bit if not a better than Larsson in their respective rookie seasons.

Good news is we are debating two players that will be on the Devils blue line next season.

Didn't Merril have a full pro year in the AHL?  I mean, Larsson stepped right in from the SEL (forgive me if I get that wrong) as an 18 year old, while Merril played out college and had a year in the AHL to develop I think.  Not that it matters really, but my point was that Larsson definitely has the tools and, imo, looked better as an 18 year old rookie than Merril has as a 22 year old rookie.  

Like I said, it's not like I'm rooting against Merrill at all.  But it just irks me to see people ragging on Larsson when he's shown he's clearly got the potential.  He just needs to play and grow.  I hope he, Gelinas and Merrill play out the season up here.

Didn't Merril have a full pro year in the AHL? I mean, Larsson stepped right in from the SEL (forgive me if I get that wrong) as an 18 year old, while Merril played out college and had a year in the AHL to develop I think. Not that it matters really, but my point was that Larsson definitely has the tools and, imo, looked better as an 18 year old rookie than Merril has as a 22 year old rookie.

Like I said, it's not like I'm rooting against Merrill at all. But it just irks me to see people ragging on Larsson when he's shown he's clearly got the potential. He just needs to play and grow. I hope he, Gelinas and Merrill play out the season up here.

Merrill played a total of 26 games in the AHL.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is this a day late in April.   Larsson has far better long term potential than Merrill.

Is this a day late in April. Larsson has far better long term potential than Merrill.

Far better? So is Larsson's potential generationally great defenseman or is Merrill's potential 3rd/4th defenseman?

Myself, I have a hard time saying either holds a potential edge long term.