GDT-April Fools Edition- Devils vs Sabres-7pm

Renato Rodrigues

Is what it is. Been pretty calm about the whole thing. 3 out of 4 years missing the playoffs and you kind of get used to playoff hockey without the Devils. 

It was kind of funny yesterday watching the shootout. It was actually exciting. The Devils were scoring. Schneider made some saves. They had a chance to win it again and again. It was a season ending loss, but it was a welcome loss after how pathetically they have lost so many of them.

Yeah, like DR33, I'm not really bitter about the way the whole season has gone down.  The only frustrating part is if we were even 5-6 in shootouts and started Schneider 60 games, we'd likely be somewhere between 88-90 points, which is obviously comfortably in the playoffs.

Is what it is. Been pretty calm about the whole thing. 3 out of 4 years missing the playoffs and you kind of get used to playoff hockey without the Devils. 

It was kind of funny yesterday watching the shootout. It was actually exciting. The Devils were scoring. Schneider made some saves. They had a chance to win it again and again. It was a season ending loss, but it was a welcome loss after how pathetically they have lost so many of them.

I don't think this one was the killer, but the next regulation loss will be for sure (at least I think it will be). 

I don't think this one was the killer, but the next regulation loss will be for sure (at least I think it will be).

We've had 5 or 6 what feel like season ending losses but everyone else kept losing too so it kept us alive so long. I think losing two points to the islanders and sabres over 3 games was the last straw though

We've had 5 or 6 what feel like season ending losses but everyone else kept losing too so it kept us alive so long. I think losing two points to the islanders and sabres over 3 games was the last straw though

Trust me, I'm not saying I have any confidence in this team's ability to notch 11-12 points over the next 6.  I think by the time the weekend's over, they'll have suffered the season-killer.  By the time the season ends, there will be PLENTY of losses to point to (and of course, the epic fails in the shootout). 

It wasn't the season finale, but it was the game that elimiinated them from playoff contention:  http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2012020671

I don't think yelling at the refs does anything at all, but I guess it's more fun to see the coach go crazy on the bench?  I don't know.

IIRC the Devils would've been eliminated regardless of whether we won that game or not. Some other team won that day to eliminate us (Isles?)

still. Brodeur 14 saves on 17 shots. nice. great job.

Edited by '7'

It wasn't the season finale, but it was the game that elimiinated them from playoff contention:  http://www.nhl.com/gamecenter/en/boxscore?id=2012020671

I don't think yelling at the refs does anything at all, but I guess it's more fun to see the coach go crazy on the bench?  I don't know.

I distinctly remember the Devils getting screwed by the refs on a nasty hit from behind by a Red Wings player on Jay Pandolfo. He needed 80+ stitches, there was no call. and insult to injury, the Wings scored going back up the ice seconds later. Robbie Ftorek had an all-time freak out throwing a fvcking bench on the ice (holy sh!t..how badass). He was suspended for the act. That was probably the rallying cry for that 2000 Devils team. That team was destined for another 1st round playoff loss, but Ftorek's act changed the entire complexion of the season. They really responded to him. Probably my favourite Devils Stanley Cup winning coach.

Edited by devilsrule33

I distinctly remember the Devils getting screwed by the refs on a nasty hit from behind by a Red Wings player on Jay Pandolfo. He needed 80+ stitches, there was no call. and insult to injury, the Wings scored going back up the ice seconds later. Robbie Ftorek had an all-time freak out throwing a fvcking bench on the ice (holy sh!t..how badass). He was suspended for the act. That was probably the rallying cry for that 2000 Devils team. That team was destined for another 1st round playoff loss, but Ftorek's act changed the entire complexion of the season. They really responded to him. Probably my favourite Devils Stanley Cup winning coach.

The blood pouring down Pandolfo's face looked like friggin' syrup, it was so thick.  Nasty sh!t.

I'm assuming the rest is all sarcasm, for obvious reasons.

My Redwings memory is the game in the 02-03 season where John Madden scored in OT, but the puck went off his skate. No kicking motion at all, it went off the freaking toe of his skate as we drifted towards the net. They called it no goal and Chris Draper scored like 45 seconds later. Really pissed me off. I think it is highlighted in the 03 cup DVD but they don't mention Madden's goal getting waved off.

That was probably the rallying cry for that 2000 Devils team. That team was destined for another 1st round playoff loss, but Ftorek's act changed the entire complexion of the season. They really responded to him. Probably my favourite Devils Stanley Cup winning coach.

Lol. Well said. Though, I do have to say, yelling at the refs every here and there keeps them in check. It's not so much that it forces them to make calls, as it is effective in reminding them that the coach is not a pushover and that they will have to deal with a headache for not making calls. It is most certainly effective conditioning. However, if you go Ftorek on the refs, you hurt the team, because refs protect each other and Ftorek-esque blow ups will only aggravate their community (a la Jim Schoenfeld).

BTW, that injury gave me nightmares. 

Lol. Well said. Though, I do have to say, yelling at the refs every here and there keeps them in check. It's not so much that it forces them to make calls, as it is effective in reminding them that the coach is not a pushover and that they will have to deal with a headache for not making calls. It is most certainly effective conditioning. However, if you go Ftorek on the refs, you hurt the team, because refs protect each other and Ftorek-esque blow ups will only aggravate their community (a la Jim Schoenfeld).

BTW, that injury gave me nightmares. 

Devils did go 5-0-2-0 after that Red Wing fiasco, for whatever that's worth, but right after that came the 5-9-1-1 crash that cost Ftorek his job.  Would love to know what happened with him behind closed doors...seems like in all three of his NHL jobs (none of which lasted two full seasons), his players seemed to hate him almost to a man by the time he was let go.   

Devils did go 5-0-2-0 after that Red Wing fiasco, for whatever that's worth, but right after that came the 5-9-1-1 crash that cost Ftorek his job.  Would love to know what happened with him behind closed doors...seems like in all three of his NHL jobs (none of which lasted two full seasons), his players seemed to hate him almost to a man by the time he was let go.   

The guy is an AHL assistant coach now. That says a lot. He might have been an a$$hole to the refs that game, but he was probably an a$$hole to everyone else other days.

Was just looking at his coaching log and realized he was fired with 9 games to go in the 2003 season. That was on a playoff team and was following a year that the Bruins finished 1st in the Eastern Conference.

Considering that Steve Shields, John Grahame, and Jeff Hackett were the Bruins goalies that season, he probably got the short end there. 

I know that he and Gretzky butted heads almost from the get go...when Gretzky was first dealt to LA, people were already speculating how long Ftorek would last.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-05-03/sports/sp-2544_1_coach-robbie-ftorek-kings-record-kings-american-hockey-league

And this blurb had a lot to do with the speculation (I remember the New Haven crack quite well):

Ftorek was fired after his first full year as coach because he did not have the support of the players.

Wayne Gretzky was at odds with Ftorek this season, and many of the other Kings were frustrated with him at one time or another, voicing their feelings at their end-of-the-season meetings with Vachon.

Gretzky, though, has been at the center of the criticism of Ftorek. Ftorek was not fired because of one confrontation with Gretzky in Detroit last November, but he was fired for reasons that are demonstrated by that confrontation.

On the night of Nov. 23, the Kings were beating the Red Wings and Gretzky was having what might have been a record night for points. When Gretzky felt that he had lapsed and contributed to a Detroit goal toward the end of the second period, he hit his stick on the back of the net in his anger at himself.  In the dressing room between the second and third periods, Ftorek announced that Gretzky would be benched at the start of the third period because Ftorek wanted to teach the team to be disciplined.

Gretzky fired back at Ftorek: "Robbie, if you want to teach, go back to New Haven. We're here to win the Stanley Cup."

I think a lot of Ftorek's problem was that he was much more suited to work with works-in-progress who he could teach and mold.  It seems like he took the same approach with NHL veterans, which seemed to chafe a lot of them. 

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

IIRC the Devils would've been eliminated regardless of whether we won that game or not. Some other team won that day to eliminate us (Isles?)

still. Brodeur 14 saves on 17 shots. nice. great job.

That was 18 saves on 22 shots. You just listed off the even strength stat line.

Ironically enough the real number was a just slightly lower save percentage.

Edited by NewarkDevil5

Gretzky fired back at Ftorek: "Robbie, if you want to teach, go back to New Haven. We're here to win the Stanley Cup."

Ouch.

Just as a point though, only Lou would fire Ftorek at that point in the season, in the situation the team was in.

I know that he and Gretzky butted heads almost from the get go...when Gretzky was first dealt to LA, people were already speculating how long Ftorek would last.

http://articles.latimes.com/1989-05-03/sports/sp-2544_1_coach-robbie-ftorek-kings-record-kings-american-hockey-league

And this blurb had a lot to do with the speculation (I remember the New Haven crack quite well):

Ftorek was fired after his first full year as coach because he did not have the support of the players.

Wayne Gretzky was at odds with Ftorek this season, and many of the other Kings were frustrated with him at one time or another, voicing their feelings at their end-of-the-season meetings with Vachon.

Gretzky, though, has been at the center of the criticism of Ftorek. Ftorek was not fired because of one confrontation with Gretzky in Detroit last November, but he was fired for reasons that are demonstrated by that confrontation.

On the night of Nov. 23, the Kings were beating the Red Wings and Gretzky was having what might have been a record night for points. When Gretzky felt that he had lapsed and contributed to a Detroit goal toward the end of the second period, he hit his stick on the back of the net in his anger at himself.  In the dressing room between the second and third periods, Ftorek announced that Gretzky would be benched at the start of the third period because Ftorek wanted to teach the team to be disciplined.

I think a lot of Ftorek's problem was that he was much more suited to work with works-in-progress who he could teach and mold.  It seems like he took the same approach with NHL veterans, which seemed to chafe a lot of them. 

Speaking of New Haven Nighthawks, the best thing about them was their home arena, the New Haven Coliseum.  If you ever want to read about an interesting arena, take a look at the articles about that place.  It's the only arena where the parking deck for it was built ON TOP of the arena due to the concerns about flooding in the area so they couldn't build on below like a lot of other arenas.  Not only that, but it wasn't even 10 years old before chunks of arena and parking deck were falling off onto the sidewalks below.

Not to beat a man while he's down, but this story about Ftorek always cracked me up. 

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1018837/index.htm

Article quote: 

The Devils players, for their part, were not nearly as perplexed by the firing as they had been by Ftorek. Even while expressing sympathy for their former coach, players spoke of how high-strung he had been and lamented his tendency to complicate simple things. At one team meeting this season Ftorek wrote two letters on a marker board in the dressing room: a lowercase m and an uppercase W. "Who can tell me what this means?" he asked. Ftorek went around the room, demanding that players give their best guesses. Responses ranged from, "I don't know, Coach," to "Beats me." Finally an exasperated Ftorek said, "It's the little me and the big We?

"How the hell were we supposed to guess that?" asks one player, who requested anonymity. "He was always talking in riddles. He didn't say things straight out, so you never knew where you stood with him." Ftorek did not return requests for comment.

Ouch.

Just as a point though, only Lou would fire Ftorek at that point in the season, in the situation the team was in.

Same thing happened to him with the Bruins in 2003...nine games left and with his team in playoff position.