Devils @ Sens 7PM Play'n out the String

msweet

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just psychological at this point. It's a real sports "curse" it's in the players heads clearly...I mean the Devils might seriously run this streak to 25-30 shootout losses in a row. It could take them 100 attempts to even score 7-8 shootout goals.

This is like Red Sox/Cubs drought bad...in a more condensed sample

For the 2nd straight game, the people claiming that Marty is the main problem should be embarrassed. This team can't win with maybe the best goalie in the league.

He's the main problem. He got enormous goal support and is one of the worst goalie in the league.

He's not the entire problem, but he's 70% of it.

And yeah people can talk about Marty's W/L record but let's face it many of those games were a LOT more high pressure than they needed to be (including his last game against Florida).  More minutes from the key players, more drama than neccesary.  A few more 4-1 games would have done this old team with not much depth a bit of good, instead of constantly having to go to the wall to win 5-4 like the Carolina game.  How many easy games have we had all year?  St. Louis?  The Isles just after the break?  What else...maybe the first Ranger game?  

Some of those games where we DID get goal support could have been easy games with Cory in net.

Edited by NJDevs4978

If Cory got some of his goal support and played 60 games, we'd be in the playoffs

The way Lou and Pete cowered to Brodeur and threw away this season is reprehensible.

And yeah people can talk about Marty's W/L record but let's face it many of those games were a LOT more high pressure than they needed to be (including his last game against Florida).  More minutes from the key players, more drama than neccesary.  A few more 4-1 games would have done this old team with not much depth a bit of good, instead of having to go to the wall to win 5-4 like the Carolina game.  How many easy games have we had all year?  St. Louis?  The Isles just after the break?  What else...maybe the first Ranger game?

not many. Marty though made sure to turn a 3-0 lead in Edmonton with 14 minutes left into a shootout loss. And looked like a fool blowing 3-1 leads to Columbus and NYR where we couldn't even get 1 point out of it.

If Cory got some of his goal support and played 60 games, we'd be in the playoffs

We lost last game and this game. Everything you are stating is speculative 20/20 hindsight nonsense. Though others have made better arguments on this board.

I'm sure Brodeur would have also only allowed 1 goal in this game.........

No crap the offense is a problem and that's exactly why we need the goalie who gives up less goals to be starting.

At least understand what is being stated before replying to it.

Nobody should have any patience for the "It was mainly Marty's fault people." That they have the nerve to run their mouths, after this team goes 0-12 in shootouts and loses 2 straight games with brilliant performances by Cory, is mind-boggling.

To top that off, this team will be the ONE team out of the top 14 teams in GA (9th) to not make the playoffs.

Edited by Neb00rs

I understand clearly, the offense sucks, shootouts are laughable, the best goalie in the world can't win on this team.

So going on that logic why the hell is ok that a lousy Brodeur get so many starts? Even though its not mainly Brodeurs fault you must play the goalie who gives up less goals. End of story. So the fact that Brodeur managed to get a 2.6 GAA and .900 save percentage on the best shot defense team in the league is laughable and is ONE of the main problems.

I don't want to hear anyone point to his win loss record as well because the goal support he received compared to Cory is an anomaly.

Nobody should have any patience for the "It was mainly Marty's fault people." That they have the nerve to run their mouths, after this team goes 0-12 in shootouts and loses 2 straight games with brilliant performances by Cory, is mind-boggling.

To top that off, this team will be the ONE team out of the top 14 teams in GA (9th) to not make the playoffs.

We know you'll strap yourself to a cross to defend Marty but come on now.  Saying a goalie with a .900 save percentage wasn't a big problem when in the end he actually LOST more games than he won (18-14-5) despite all that great goal support is just as asinine as saying the offense wasn't a problem in Cory's starts.  

Anyone looking at this game as a metric to prove any point other than Cory is an amazing goalie should have their head examined. This is a game right after this team was mathematically eliminated, this wasn't a full effort and the best coach in the world wasn't getting a full effort.

I understand clearly, the offense sucks, shootouts are laughable, the best goalie in the world can't win on this team.

So going on that logic why the hell is ok that a lousy Brodeur get so many starts? Even though its not mainly Brodeurs fault you must play the goalie who gives up less goals. End of story. So the fact that Brodeur managed to get a 2.6 GAA and .900 save percentage on the best shot defense team in the league is laughable and is ONE of the main problems.

I don't want to hear anyone point to his win loss record as well because the goal support he received compared to Cory is an anomaly.

This is what I'm talking about.

Bold #1: It's not and no one hear said it is, perhaps you are confused by the straw man coming from the Marty haters.

Bold #2: Did someone in this thread do that? I don't recall so.

I'm sure Brodeur would have also only allowed 1 goal in this game.........

No crap the offense is a problem and that's exactly why we need the goalie who gives up less goals to be starting.

Yup, it becomes magnified playing on a team that has struggles scoring.

Does anyone understand how good a 1.97 gaa is?

Nebs...Did I directly reply to anyone? No. All I am doing is venting broadly to the board as a whole. I have no individuals in mind so think what you want. I hit a tipping point with some of the Marty apologists and Marty himself. I and this franchise needs a new chapter, one without the legend himself. His time has been long overdue.

Edited by Zubie#8

We know you'll strap yourself to a cross to defend Marty but come on now.  Saying a goalie with a .900 save percentage wasn't a big problem when in the end he actually LOST more games than he won (18-14-5) despite all that great goal support is just as asinine as saying the offense wasn't a problem in Cory's starts.  

With all due respect, bullsh!t. I have been CLEAR in my posts and very reasonable. I have unarguably supported Cory as the starter this year and as the future of this team. Furthermore, I have openly and directly criticized Marty for various things he has done this year (just check the "Marty dropping team names" thread), See, this is the distortion that frustrates me so. I go and argue against the misguided anti-Marty extremists and then they go and call me a "Marty fanboy" (not you). It's a desperate attempt to cover for them having no further argument in the "Marty is the doom of this team" category. They know it's not what I'm arguing, they no their point is ridiculous, but they keep perpetuating it. Go ahead, review my posts and you'll see that what you say is not true.

more importantly a .920 save percentage. Brodeur has only hit that 3 times in his career. The last time...2008

No offense, but everyone knows how good it is. That's why we don't mention it. It's obvious.

Nebs...Did I directly reply to anyone? No. All I am doing is venting broadly to the board as a whole. I have no individuals in mind so think what you want. I hit a tipping point with some of the Marty apologists ad Marty himself. I and this franchise needs a new chapter, one with without the legend himself. His time has been long overdue.

So then you are responding in general to something that didn't happen. Directing your anger in the wrong place and time. You should be angry at the posters who have told you (not DR26 he is late to this fight and trying to act like someone is denying that Cory is great) that Marty is the main problem. It'll get you thinking that as long as Cory starts we're good. Clearly it's been a shock for ya'll this past stretch of games in which it didn't matter how well Cory played.

Also, 4978, please point to the post where I said that Marty's save pct. wasn't  'big problem'.

Edited by Neb00rs