Shanny to be named President of the Leafs

MadDog2020

I'm not sure what the president of a hockey team does to be honest so I don't know what this means for the Leafs... But I was wondering (maybe hoping?) that Shanahan might be a replacement for Lou down the road. I guess his name is off that list.

I don't have any idea who will replace him, but I wonder how much authority he actually had in that position. It seemed like he was following someone else's playbook rather than actually making major decisions on how players should be disciplined. I'm only guessing that because the suspensions dolled out didn't change a whole lot when he took over for Campbell.

Aaron Ward speculated he likes DeBoer.  I'd love to see Pete in Toronto for the lulz...if he thinks TG and Randy Miller are hard on him wait till he gets a load of the Toronto media.

I wouldn't want to see it because he would immediately make the Leafs a lot better. He'll learn to adapt to the media. At the very least he needs to be somewhat jovial like Maurice, Wilson and Carlyle are.

I thought this deserved its own thread. For one, obviously the league will have a new safety czar, so we can speculate who that may be... Two- I think Shanny may be getting in over his head here. It'll be ugly for him if it fails (and its the Leafs, so why wouldn't it?) http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448947

The thing is, Shanny can't do worse than JFJ, Burke or Nonis. He has lot to fix, but he can't fvck it up any worse.

Edited by devilsrule33

I wouldn't want to see it because he would immediately make the Leafs a lot better. He'll learn to adapt to the media. At the very least he needs to be somewhat jovial like Maurice, Wilson and Carlyle are.

They'd chew him up and spit him out in five minutes when he pulls his Rich Kotite act saying we tried hard after every single loss.  But hey at least they'd get 20+ goals out of Clarkson so there's that.

Somehow positions with the Leafs remain highly coveted. Somehow...

It's like Notre Dame football...more of a glamour position than one of substance.

Edited by NJDevs26

I bet Shanahan's pay just tripled. If Deboer is the one Shanny wants, his pay would double as well.

Fair enough but you'd think there'd have to be a point where people go "You know what, I'm not going to be the one to turn sh!t around over there, I better duck this one."

Fair enough but you'd think there'd have to be a point where people go "You know what, I'm not going to be the one to turn sh!t around over there, I better duck this one."

I think I was too conservative. I really have no clue how much Shanny made with the league, but I bet his salary is over $4 million with the Leafs. Maybe a 10x raise.

I think there's also a good chance he has heard from Yzerman how great of a gig it is to be a front office executive.

You mean the same Yzerman that just had to trade his 3rd best player because he didn't also take him for Team Canada?  Yeah I bet Yzerman loves being an exec.

You mean the same Yzerman that just had to trade his 3rd best player because he didn't also take him for Team Canada?  Yeah I bet Yzerman loves being an exec.

No, I am talking about the Yzerman who just signed a four year extension with the Lightning. That one.

Okay, I'm really going to be upset if DeBoer goes to Toronto. We've had Sutter leave, Parise leave, Kovalchuk leave, Clarkson leave, and while some of these I'm more glad about than others, I'm tired of people just leaving.

I'm with you... Its gotten very tiresome.

Being associated with Toronto is a no-win situation.   You are a savior until the season starts, then your just a moving target.

Shanny should enjoy the honeymoon, because after the first back-to-back loses he become public enemy #2 after whoever is the coach.

Carlyle's Leafs not only gave up the most shots of any team this year, they're on pace to give up the most shots in 20 years.  The Devils may not look at a lot of stats but that's one they definitely check out.  I cannot imagine Carlyle being the coach of the Devils.

Carlyle's Leafs not only gave up the most shots of any team this year, they're on pace to give up the most shots in 20 years.  The Devils may not look at a lot of stats but that's one they definitely check out.  I cannot imagine Carlyle being the coach of the Devils.

Odin forbid.   I agree, Carlye would be a horrible choice for NJ.

I understand he may be in line for the Florida job....for some odd reason.