Backup Goaltender for Next Season - SCOTT CLEMMENSEN signed

Neb00rs

Even with Marty gone (which seems to be 99.99% at this point), what makes you think Schneider would want to sign long term here?

The team was atrocious this season, and I am sure he is upset with the carousel he had to endure.  I think him starting 60-65 games next year would erase the sour taste a bit, but c'mon...he will have his choice of several different teams with similar financial$.....

He'd stay because he'd be the guaranteed number one, the Devils can offer him an 8th year that no one else can, they can afford to pay him very well, and he won't be getting any closer to Boston geographically. He also may be very interested in signing long term and not having to deal with controversy or a new city again.

He has outplayed Pavelec this year. Montoya is 13-8-3 with a .920 save pct. and a 2.30 GAA. Compare that to Pavelec's 22-26-7 with a .901 save pct. and a 3.01 GAA.

Agreed.  A year ago he outplayed Nabokov as well.   He is competitive and is not going to cause strife asking for #1 money.  He knows his role, while the kids can develop in Albany.

Bryzgalov.

I think I'm only half-kidding, and his family still lives in south jersey anyways.

But yeah I think it's pretty important to get a decent backup who they can count on for 25 games and not be terrified of if Schneider goes down with an injury (so not Kinkaid just yet, though I would like to see Wedgewood take the reins full-time in Albany and see what he can do).

• 2 months later...

Bump. 

I believe these are still the guys available who might be worth a look (though Giguere is reportedly going to retire):

Keith Kinkaid - Albany
Chad Johnson - UFA (the Bruins give any goalie a boost but he's been really solid)
Giguere - UFA
Viktor Fasth - 1 year left (trade possibility)
Jhonas Enroth - 1 year left (but there's an overflow of goalies in Buffalo)
Thomas Greiss - UFA
Joey MacDonald - UFA (not an exciting choice)
Al Montoya - UFA
Justin Peters - UFA
Curtis McElhinney - UFA
Darcy Kuemper - RFA  (but there's an overflow of goalies in Minnesota)
Jonas Gustavsson - UFA

Edited by Neb00rs

I looked at the Marcel projections from Hockey-Graphs and took out what goalies I could from CapGeek's UFA list (not all goalies had Marcel projections). Taking out guys like Miller (starter) and Giguere (retiring), here how Marcel sees some of the backups going forward. Note:

The below are projecting performance over the next three years. You’ll apply less of an aging adjustment (and slightly different weights) for one year projections.

1. Thomas Greiss (.9118), 2. Al Montoya (.9087), 3. Justin Peters (.9085), 4. Jonas Hiller (.9075), 5. Devan Dubnyk (.9069), 6. Tim Thomas (.906), 7. Ray Emery (.905), 8. Ilya Bryzgalov (.9043), 9. Jonas Gustavsson (.9035), 10. Evegeni Nabokov (.9009), 11. Martin Brodeur (.8958). NHL AVG SV% is roughly around .912-.914.

I wouldn't mind Greiss who is coming off a decent year with Phoenix (.920, 93 GA%-, +3.94 GSAA) and has been decent in limited action in the years prior. He's coming off of a $750k deal. Montoya is another guy I'd have interest in. Had a decent year (.920, 93 GA%-, +4.50 GSAA) with Winnipeg. Hardly played in the NHL in 2012-13, had a bad 2011-12, decent 2010-11. He's coming off a $601k deal so he should be cheap.

there's plenty available, I think that's the last thing Lou will do this summer, in fact he might give Kinkaid a shot and if he doesn't look NHL ready/able he'll make a move during the season

he's gonna wait till all his forwards and D are signed and see how much he can spend on a backup

Edited by The 29th Pick

People seem to think Kinkaid is ready. Might as well give him a shot.

I'm sure there will be backup goalies available in free agency well into the start of the season if he doesn't work out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by Devilsfan118

Shouldn't you be one of the top AHL goalies in SV% before you move on to the NHL? I'm not really sure how it works, but I'd imagine we'd want Kinkaid to be a top 10 AHL goalie before he's ready to back up Cory.

My guess is Lou goes with someone like Montoya. Not sure how I'd feel if Kinkaid became our number one goaltender if Cory got injured.

People seem to think Kinkaid is ready. Might as well give him a shot.

I'm sure there will be backup goalies available in free agency well into the start of the season if he doesn't work out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Kinkaid has one more year of waiver ineligibility and his SV% in Albany doesn't scream 'ready' - I'd rather get a veteran backup for one year then make a decision on Kinkaid.

im getting confused between Kinkaid and wedgewood, one i saw gave up 3 and was awesome and the other gave up one and was day dreaming

montoya would be good

yea wasn't it Kinkaid who made his first nhl save on a breakaway? I actually think it was on Stamkos too

yea wasn't it Kinkaid who made his first nhl save on a breakaway? I actually think it was on Stamkos too

I don't remember if that was his first save, but that was him that played in that game. I remember the Stamkos breakaway. He looked shaky in that game despite only getting scored on once.

Here's a video of the save:

Edited by ATLL765

Kinkaid has one more year of waiver ineligibility and his SV% in Albany doesn't scream 'ready' - I'd rather get a veteran backup for one year then make a decision on Kinkaid.

I think how Lou handles this will speak volumes as to what he thinks of Kinkaid's NHL future.  He made it clear when he dealt a 1st-rounder for Cory that he didn't think Kinkaid or Wedge were the answers, as far as the Devils' #1 goalie of the future goes.  If he goes out and gets a backup and signs him to more than one season, then you can probably write off Kinkaid having any future here with the big club (barring injuries to Cory or his backup).  If Lou signs a backup to one season, I'm guessing he wants to see what both Kinkaid and Wedge do with Albany.  If one or both succeed, then maybe they get a shot in 2015-2016.  The more I think about it, the more I hope that Lou goes out and signs a backup, because if Kinkaid got his chance this season and faltered, and Marty was still available...well, you know...

I think how Lou handles this will speak volumes as to what he thinks of Kinkaid's NHL future.  He made it clear when he dealt a 1st-rounder for Cory that he didn't think Kinkaid or Wedge were the answers, as far as the Devils' #1 goalie of the future goes.  If he goes out and gets a backup and signs him to more than one season, then you can probably write off Kinkaid having any future here with the big club (barring injuries to Cory or his backup).  If Lou signs a backup to one season, I'm guessing he wants to see what both Kinkaid and Wedge do with Albany.  If one or both succeed, then maybe they get a shot in 2015-2016.  The more I think about it, the more I hope that Lou goes out and signs a backup, because if Kinkaid got his chance this season and faltered, and Marty was still available...well, you know...

I think you are over-thinking it a bit. The Schneider trade was a must deal. Even if you think Kinkaid or Wedgewood could be something and have an NHL future, how long can you wait for them to be ready with Brodeur getting older and injured a lot.

Even if Lou gets a vet backup (I think it's almost a lock he does), it doesn't mean Kinkaid's career is over with the Devils. It's up to him to be really good at the AHL level this season. He was for a bit last season, and then his numbers dropped off. He gives a .920+ sabe percentage season, and there definitely could be a spot for him behind someone (please let it be Cory).

Edited by devilsrule33

Lou could go get a legit NHL starter with a good contract for an 8th overall pick. That's a deal you make any day, almost regardless of what you have in the cupboard at that position. Even if Kinkaid or Wedgewood would somehow super-develop into ready starters this or next year it means you have assets you can deal to recoup some of what you gave up for Schneider...or you have depth at a key position and don't have to overplay Schneider (which is key considering all the b2b games NJ plays).