Backup Goaltender for Next Season - SCOTT CLEMMENSEN signed

Neb00rs

The worst will be the interviews where he "wanted to be here all along"

Reason #43409792 I really hope he just retires.  A return here would be cringe-inducing on a lot of levels...especially with all of the obvious lies his teammates will have to spew (starting with Cory). 

Why would a backup goalie sign here?  I mean, I'd like someone like Nabokov, but the Devils clearly have the intention of using Schneider for 65+ games.  Plus Brodeur carried the team in November and he can carry them again, if he re-signs here.  I wouldn't want to spend more than $1M on a backup.

It wouldn't shock me if a couple of decent backups wind up having to go overseas because of the lack of spots.  They'd surely prefer to sign here rather than sign in the KHL.

Lou will look like a fvcking moron if he signs Marty now after saying he wants Kinkaid to be the back-up.

The only reason it's still a non-zero chance of happening - besides the obvious - is because Lou hasn't been all that patient the last couple of times we had younger backups (remember JF Damphousse?).  And he 'did' talk Beezer out of retirement way back when.

The only reason it's still a non-zero chance of happening - besides the obvious - is because Lou hasn't been all that patient the last couple of times we had younger backups (remember JF Damphousse?).  And he 'did' talk Beezer out of retirement way back when.

If the backup spot goes, say, 0-4-1 with a GAA over 3.50 with a save% in the .870-.880 range through late November or so, and Cory appears the slightest bit tired from his new workload, and Marty is available (and it's looking more and more like he very well will be), I find it impossible to believe that Lou doesn't explore bringing Marty back. 

I think Clemmer is what he is at this point (not very good at all and not going to surprise anyone), so it's really on Kinkaid to play well enough to kill any chance Marty might have to come back. 

If the backup spot goes, say, 0-4-1 with a GAA over 3.50 with a save% in the .870-.880 range through late November or so, and Cory appears the slightest bit tired from his new workload, and Marty is available (and it's looking more and more like he very well will be), I find it impossible to believe that Lou doesn't explore bringing Marty back. 

I think Clemmer is what he is at this point (not very good at all and not going to surprise anyone), so it's really on Kinkaid to play well enough to kill any chance Marty might have to come back. 

No, I don't think Brodeur is going to walk back in here for a backup gig.  I think he wants a shot at a starter's job, and the only way he gets that here is if Schneider gets hurt.  I do believe that if Schneider were hurt for more than 2 weeks, Lou's first call would be to Pat Brisson, but I suspect if Brodeur does go into the season without a job, he's going to try to do what Bryzgalov did this season, and Bryz ended up getting into 32 games and played 2 rounds in the playoffs.

Idk, he saved us in 2008-09 when Marty went down for a long period of time.  Can't hate the guy, but I hope Kinkaid can beat him for 2nd place.  Clemmer pulled off some crazy sh!t when he backed Marty up, so I'm not expected the guy to just roll over. 

I really really hate this signing. Was so obvious too. The very idea of a goalie worse than Brodeur possibly playing 20 games next year is a disaster. Clemmensen is that. 

Agreed that he is awful, but on the plus side Kinkaid is being handed a shot.  Kinkaid is probably a little worse than the average NHL backup, but hopefully not so much that it would cost NJ a full win in the standings.  Also obviously the backup isn't going to play 20 games without an injury.

Edited by Triumph

Idk, he saved us in 2008-09 when Marty went down for a long period of time.  Can't hate the guy, but I hope Kinkaid can beat him for 2nd place.  Clemmer pulled off some crazy sh!t when he backed Marty up, so I'm not expected the guy to just roll over. 

He didn't save the team. The Devils were playing dominant hockey, and Clemmensen had a pretty easy stretch of hockey. He didn't sh!t the bed, but the Devils team defense didn't give him much of a chance to. They were that good.

Anyway, that was 6 years ago. The dude has put up back-to-back sub .900 seasons. He actually made Brodeur of last year look very strong.

He didn't save the team. The Devils were playing dominant hockey, and Clemmensen had a pretty easy stretch of hockey. He didn't sh!t the bed, but the Devils team defense didn't give him much of a chance to. They were that good.

Anyway, that was 6 years ago. The dude has put up back-to-back sub .900 seasons. He actually made Brodeur of last year look very strong.

Hokum.  Clemmensen got lucky during that stretch to be sure, but he also played very well.  He did not 'have a pretty easy stretch of hockey'.  And he definitely saved that season.

Hokum. Clemmensen got lucky during that stretch to be sure, but he also played very well. He did not 'have a pretty easy stretch of hockey'. And he definitely saved that season.

The team played amazingly in front of him. He did well for a while. By the end of his run when Marty came back he was losing games and half the league figured out he had no glove hand and couldn't move side to side.

Agreed that he is awful, but on the plus side Kinkaid is being handed a shot.  Kinkaid is probably a little worse than the average NHL backup, but hopefully not so much that it would cost NJ a full win in the standings.  Also obviously the backup isn't going to play 20 games without an injury.

I didn't really care too much if Kinkaid got a shot or not, so long as Brodeur wasn't here. There are much better options than Kinkaid or Clemmensen out there. I know there are many goalies not looking for a 15-20 game role, but there are only 60 spots, and goalies would like an NHL salary too. Only 2 or 3 games to decide between Kinkaid or Clemmensen. Someone will win or lose a job in that time, but it's definitely not enough games.

Hokum.  Clemmensen got lucky during that stretch to be sure, but he also played very well.  He did not 'have a pretty easy stretch of hockey'.  And he definitely saved that season.

I may have forgotten a lot about the 08/09 season, but I think the Devils would have been a playoff team with Weekes in nets. Clemmer was very good, but the team was playing excellent in front of him.

Can't hate the signing. 2-way and we all could see it coming; it's the type of veteran goaltender that was meant to tell Kinkaid "this is your job to lose". Clemmer will most likely be with Wedgewood in the A.. Kinkaid can taste NHL backup duty and I think he'll play his ass off for it.

You look around the league and it's an interesting era; so many promising and skilled young goalies were backups just 2-3 years ago (Halak, Bernier, Rask, Andersen). Kinkaid knows what he has to do.

I didn't really care too much if Kinkaid got a shot or not, so long as Brodeur wasn't here. There are much better options than Kinkaid or Clemmensen out there. I know there are many goalies not looking for a 15-20 game role, but there are only 60 spots, and goalies would like an NHL salary too. Only 2 or 3 games to decide between Kinkaid or Clemmensen. Someone will win or lose a job in that time, but it's definitely not enough games.

I don't think the backup goalie will play 20 games unless Schneider has an injury.  The Devils have to be looking to give him 65 games at the very least, with 72 a possibility.  With Clemmensen, the Devils have the ability to bring Kinkaid up and down for NHL games and AHL games, that way he doesn't get rusty.

There are better options, but most of them are at a higher price point than either Clemmensen or Kinkaid, and most of them were once starters.  Would I rather have Nabokov?  Sure, but I'd rather have him at $1 million, not $1.5M.

I may have forgotten a lot about the 08/09 season, but I think the Devils would have been a playoff team with Weekes in nets. Clemmer was very good, but the team was playing excellent in front of him.

The point is that Clemmensen was the guy in the net.  Maybe Weekes could have done it, we don't know.  What we do know is that Weekes had 3 sub .900 SV% seasons before his final one in NJ, where he posted a .920.  Maybe he's the starter, maybe he isn't, but an .895 SV% would've sunk the team - maybe not condemning them to missing the playoffs, but certainly a lower seed.

Codswallop! Poppycock! Twaddle! Bunkum! Malarky! Horsefeathers! Stuff-n-nonsense! Balderdash! Hooey!  Rot! Tosh! Piffle!  Tommyrot! Hogwash! Folderol! Gobbledygook!  (just in case anyone needs some more grampa expletives.)

I actually hope Marty has the good taste to retire. 

People have it in their heads he just wants win 700, not that he actually just wants to play.  Haters gonna hate ... and probably not sign him either.

I'm going to call bullsh!t.  What if Clemmer started dropping games like Hedberg did in 2011.  People blame Hedberg for that sh!t and I agree.  As a backup goalie, Hedberg totally sh!t the bed.  If Clemmenson dropped 10 or 20 games, that amazing team that got bounced in the first round wouldn't have even been there.  Clemmenson had a really good stretch.  Luck or not, it saved that season.  If Hedberg comes in and does that same job in 2011, that could have been a playoff team as well.  You have to be able to rely on a guy like that if your starter gets hurt.  You quote his last two seasons on a pretty bad Florida team, but ignore his over .911 sv% seasons in 2011 and 2012 behind Vokoun.  And Vokoun wasn't exactly the Rolls-Royce of health those two years if Clemmer played 30 games in both of those seasons. 

EDIT:  Just to add, I always felt that Weekes wasn't any good.  I felt the same way with him then that I felt with Marty this season.  Just not a very calming effect when he's in between the pipes. 

Edited by RizzMB30

I'm going to call bullsh!t.  What if Clemmer started dropping games like Hedberg did in 2011.  People blame Hedberg for that sh!t and I agree.  As a backup goalie, Hedberg totally sh!t the bed.  If Clemmenson dropped 10 or 20 games, that amazing team that got bounced in the first round wouldn't have even been there.  Clemmenson had a really good stretch.  Luck or not, it saved that season.  If Hedberg comes in and does that same job in 2011, that could have been a playoff team as well.  You have to be able to rely on a guy like that if your starter gets hurt.  You quote his last two seasons on a pretty bad Florida team, but ignore his over .911 sv% seasons in 2011 and 2012 behind Vokoun.  And Vokoun wasn't exactly the Rolls-Royce of health those two years if Clemmer played 30 games in both of those seasons. 

EDIT:  Just to add, I always felt that Weekes wasn't any good.  I felt the same way with him then that I felt with Marty this season.  Just not a very calming effect when he's in between the pipes. 

That's fine. I have my opinions about 2009 and others have different ones. If you were around in 2009, the board was a little divided on the Weekes/Clemmensen goalie situation. Anyway, its irrelevant now, so I won't divulge deeper into it. Btw, I have no clue what you are talking about with Hedberg in 2011 or 2012. Hedberg was very good in 2011 and excellent in 2012. His play while Brodeur shat the bed at the start of the '12 season was pretty huge for a team that didn't make the playoffs by much.

I am not ignoring '11 or '12. It's just long gone. It's not even worth bringing up. Clemmensen is 36, which for many goalies can be a very large number. His last two years, he was maybe the worst goalie in the NHL. If he was 10 years younger, I might think less of it (probably not since anyone who puts up numbers like that during this era is not very good), but he's old. And most likely will continue to not be very good.

That's fine. I have my opinions about 2009 and others have different ones. If you were around in 2009, the board was a little divided on the Weekes/Clemmensen goalie situation. Anyway, its irrelevant now, so I won't divulge deeper into it. Btw, I have no clue what you are talking about with Hedberg in 2011 or 2012. Hedberg was very good in 2011 and excellent in 2012. His play while Brodeur shat the bed at the start of the '12 season was pretty huge for a team that didn't make the playoffs by much.

I am not ignoring '11 or '12. It's just long gone. It's not even worth bringing up. Clemmensen is 36, which for many goalies can be a very large number. His last two years, he was maybe the worst goalie in the NHL. If he was 10 years younger, I might think less of it (probably not since anyone who puts up numbers like that during this era is not very good), but he's old. And most likely will continue to not be very good.

Okay, fair enough.  I was talking about the stretch when Brodeur and Kovy were hurt.  Hedberg was great in every other instance, including in the locker room.  It was just that one period when we really needed him.  It was the lockout season I believe.  2012-2013.  It was his last season here for a reason.  I mean an 88.3% is worse than Brodeur was this year. 

2011/12 New Jersey Devils NHL 27 1.591 17 7 – 2 4 59 91,8 2,23

2012/13 New Jersey Devils NHL 19 1.108 6 10 – 3 1 51 88,3 2,76

I felt its worth bringing up due to the correlation between the 2 situations where a solid backup who can post a .91 sv% was entirely needed.  Everything should be relevant after the playoffs are missed due to things like this. 

Edited by RizzMB30

Okay, fair enough.  I was talking about the stretch when Brodeur and Kovy were hurt.  Hedberg was great in every other instance, including in the locker room.  It was just that one period when we really needed him.  It was the lockout season I believe.  2012-2013.  It was his last season here for a reason.  I mean an 88.3% is worse than Brodeur was this year. 

2011/12 New Jersey Devils NHL 27 1.591 17 7 – 2 4 59 91,8 2,23

2012/13 New Jersey Devils NHL 19 1.108 6 10 – 3 1 51 88,3 2,76

I felt its worth bringing up due to the correlation between the 2 situations where a solid backup who can post a .91 sv% was entirely needed.  Everything should be relevant after the playoffs are missed due to things like this. 

Alright, well you said 2011. I guess you meant 2013. Hedberg was awful that season. But really no comparison between the Devils of 2009 and 2013. Even if you had the best goalie, that team could not score at all. The 2009 team was really damn good team. Unfortunate 1st round exit...they might have been the best team to be knocked out in the 1st round in a very long time.

Also, the difference between Hedberg and Clemmensen in 2013 is just a wonderful reason why GAA is such a useless stat for goalies. Similar save percentage and look at the GAA difference.

Alright, well you said 2011. I guess you meant 2013. Hedberg was awful that season. But really no comparison between the Devils of 2009 and 2013. Even if you had the best goalie, that team could not score at all. The 2009 team was really damn good team. Unfortunate 1st round exit...they might have been the best team to be knocked out in the 1st round in a very long time.

Also, the difference between Hedberg and Clemmensen in 2013 is just a wonderful reason why GAA is such a useless stat for goalies. Similar save percentage and look at the GAA difference.

Yeah, my mistake.  I was thinking 2013.  I just remember that Moose was great until that year.  I loved the '09 team as well.  That first round exit was the one of the roughest of my fandom.  It was a rough day after for that one.  It's one of those things that you don't talk about as a Devils fan. 

Anyone worried about Pete's friction with Clemmer?

Clemmensen may not make the team. He understands that he is fighting for a chance to be a backup for 15 games. Even if there was all the friction in the world...it's with a backup. Not something to be worried about.

There's probably friction with Deboer and a number of guys who don't play often on the roster. The key for Pete is he has a really good relationship with all the leaders and best players on the team (Elias, Jagr, Zajac, Greene, Salvador, Zubrus, Henrique). If any of the young players have issues, they know to keep it to themselves.