Rupp Hit on Oshie

msweet

I know I always defend my team to the hilt, but was Rupp such a scum-bucket-dirty hitter with us?  It seemed he changed once he went to the penguins then rangers. Now he's with that bad influence again Parise, er I mean Matt Cook.

Have a seat Mike, hope you're gone for the playoffs.

Yeah he went right for his head on that one, kind of hard to defend. What's with the non-reaction by the Blues, though? Someone should have dropped the mitts on that, I assume they had first liners on the ice with Oshie? I don't follow the team so I don't know what line he's on but I assume its not a checking line.

Of course, if a lesser fighter had dropped, Rupp probably would have beat their ass also. 

I know I always defend my team to the hilt, but was Rupp such a scum-bucket-dirty hitter with us?  It seemed he changed once he went to the penguins then rangers. Now he's with that bad influence again Parise, er I mean Matt Cook.

this

Guys like Rupp, as they age, their skills diminish and all that's left is the goon. And this side of their game becomes ever so clear as they try to clench on to anything left that can keep them playing.

That's said Rupp is a big guy, sometimes it's hard to avoid accidental head shots.

4 games:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=714083&navid=nhl:topheads

Minnesota Wild forward Mike Rupp has been suspended for four games, without pay, for a late illegal check to the head of St. Louis Blues forward T.J. Oshie during NHL Game No. 1201 in Minnesota on Thursday, April 10, the National Hockey League’s Department of Player Safety announced today.

The suspension includes the Wild's final regular-season game and first three Stanley Cup Playoff games.

I was a Rupp fan when he was with us, so maybe I'm biased, but that hit didn't look terrible. Obviously, the result was bad, but we cheered a lot of Stevens hits that looked awfully similar. I know the rules have changed, hence penalty and suspension, but he didn't go out of his way to raise his shoulder, Oshie had just gotten rid of the puck, and Rupp was already moving in. The flip side, even if Oshie still had the puck, he was getting hit in the head, and we don't want to see that, but I've seen worse hits than that. I also don't know that Rupp intentionally targeted the head. It's entirely possible he was targeting Oshie, didn't think clearly enough, and caught head and not body. Hell I've seen worse hits from Rupp. Hope Oshie's okay.

Obviously, the result was bad, but we cheered a lot of Stevens hits that looked awfully similar.

This is definitely true, but the rules now are what they are. Most of those big Stevens hits we loved would result in suspensions under the present rules.

This is definitely true, but the rules now are what they are. Most of those big Stevens hits we loved would result in suspensions under the present rules.

Hence I agree with the suspension, but am also not that pissed at Rupp for the hit.