2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs thread

MadDog2020

Of course on the Rags MSG postgame they're gonna talk about Matteau after the commercial. Utterly shocking lmao.

They lost on the anniversary of Game 6 '94 two years ago and lost on the Matteau anniversary tonight, of course you won't hear about that cause it doesn't fit the narrative.

Edited by NJDevs4978

So a Devils fan called up Boomer and Carton to call out the Queen... Boomer jumped on him and said he 'didn't wanna hear any Lundqvist-Brodeur comparisons' (which the Devils fan didn't even make in the first place, but the truth hurts I guess), and they hung up on the guy. Fairly typical.

Edited by MadDog2020

Last night had that "blow our wad" feel...wouldn't surprise me if friggin' Montreal gets shut out in the next game and loses 3-0 or 4-0.  Hope not. 

Btw- if this was the Devils (or anyone who isn't the Rangers) playing the Habs, I highly, highly doubt that there would be this embellishment outrage from everyone. Carolina would dive around like it was their jobs every year, but no one anywhere said a word about that.

Edited by MadDog2020

So a Devils fan called up Boomer and Carton to call out the Queen... Boomer jumped on him and said he 'didn't wanna hear any Queen-Brodeur comparisons' (which the Devils fan didn't even make in the first place, but the truth hurts I guess), and they hung up on the guy. Fairly typical.

Of course he didn't.  How could he?  Obviously it's a team game, and goalies tend to get too much of the credit and the blame, but at the very least, Henrik's got to either get his team into the SCF, or play so well in Game 6 or Game 7, that, if the Rangers don't get there, he can't really be faulted. 

But one guy has been to six ECF, helped his team win five of them, and then helped his team win three Cups beyond that. 

For whatever this is worth (and it's probably not worth much, as it's definitely cherry-picking), Marty has a .922 save% in 6 ECFs:

1994:  7 games, 259 Shots, 242 Saves, .934

1995:  6 games, 117 Shots, 103 Saves, .880 (Easy to forget how Lemieux's goal late in Game 5 really impacted that series)

2000:  7 games, 169 Shots, 154 Saves, .911

2001:  5 games, 99 Shots, 92 Saves, .929

2003:  7 games, 191 Shots, 178 Saves, .932

2012:  6 games, 165 Shots, 153 Saves, .927

Henrik is at .915 in his two ECFs so far (.918 in 2012, .912 so far in this series), and we know what happened in 2012...Marty outplayed him, not by a massive margin, but enough of one.  So even though Henrik is currently one of the NHL's top goalies, and hasn't always had great teams around him, to try to compare him to Marty at this stage in his career is probably futile.  If he helps his team win the ECF and then the Cup, where he is clearly the difference-maker, you can at least start a conversation I guess, though Marty's prime basically lasted into his late 30s.  No one knows if Lundqvist's will as well.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

So even though Henrik is currently one of the NHL's top goalies, and hasn't always had great teams around him, to try to compare him to Marty at this stage in his career is probably futile

IIRC Henrik has a .940+ sv% in elimination games or somesuch. But he played for some hilariously inept Rangers teams too (when it comes to offense) and you could argue they've only been somewhat legit for the past three years. And even then, the 2011 team wasn't that good. How many of the teams in front of Marty (that went to ECF or better) were worse than this year's Rangers? 

IIRC Henrik has a .940+ sv% in elimination games or somesuch. But he played for some hilariously inept Rangers teams too (when it comes to offense) and you could argue they've only been somewhat legit for the past three years. And even then, the 2011 team wasn't that good. How many of the teams in front of Marty (that went to ECF or better) were worse than this year's Rangers? 

That's part of the reason why I think it's hard to compare them...one book has already been written, the other has a ways to go.  Not that I want to see this, but what if the Rangers improve and put some terrific teams in front of Lundqvist the next four or five years?   

What is fair to say is that, when Marty helped his team win their three Cups, he wasn't along for the ride, and the team wasn't succeeding in spite of him.  He was great overall in all three runs.  Henrik hasn't been a bad playoff goalie (he has NOT really been the problem in the last three seasons), and it's true that he hasn't exactly played behind world-beaters.  Even Hasek showed that a terrific goalie can only do so much, if other pieces aren't there.   

So a Devils fan called up Boomer and Carton to call out the Queen... Boomer jumped on him and said he 'didn't wanna hear any Lundqvist-Brodeur comparisons' (which the Devils fan didn't even make in the first place, but the truth hurts I guess), and they hung up on the guy. Fairly typical.

Why call in to call out the Queen? How fvcking pathetic is that for any Devils fan to do. Boomer had every right to go that route. Mid-series too. If Lundqvist blows Game 6 and 7, well go nuts, but Brodeur has had his share of brutal games before a series ended, and sometimes he came up strong the next one, and sometimes he didn't, but wait until the series is over to call out Lundqvist.

Why call in to call out the Queen? How fvcking pathetic is that for any Devils fan to do. Boomer had every right to go that route. Mid-series too. If Lundqvist blows Game 6 and 7, well go nuts, but Brodeur has had his share of brutal games before a series ended, and sometimes he came up strong the next one, and sometimes he didn't, but wait until the series is over to call out Lundqvist.

Yeah, I agree. It's a bad look, unless they lose the series. Until then, we should stay off the radiowaves or airwaves of sports talk shows. It's one thing to wear your Devils hat/gear around proudly, but it's another to proactively call a radio show like that and stir the pot; wouldn't surprise me that Boomer would react unfavorably, caller's an easy target.