Lou speculation

vadvlfan

As they all are, and based in nothing put pure psychotic, brain damaged hatred.

Nah, it's not like that. Believe me, I've had my run-ins with 7 but it's easier to let things slide with him.

See, the thing about 7 is...he doesn't really exist, or at least he only does in our minds. He's the dark side of our collective conscience, the amalgamated abomination of our rage and frustrations. When he speaks, it's as if we are speaking and saying all the unfiltered things we all wish we could say...but can't....because we're here; responsible for our actions. So when 7 says it, you've said it, I've said it, but we don't have to take responsibility for it. It's this board's greatest gift and most vicious curse.

• Like 1

As they all are, and based in nothing put pure psychotic, brain damaged hatred.

Says the guy who has been bashing Cory all season.

Garbage statement.

unvarnished truth. Brodeur wants to run a hockey club, go study the NHL, AHL, all minor junior leagues, international leagues, go be a scout for 2 years. spend 6-7 years in the nitty gritty of hockey management as a hard working assistant... and then come back to me. Because Marty McSofty doesn't get to manage right off the bat with no experience just because of his name. Worked out so well for Gretzky and Trottier eh. Nieuwendyk and Hull.

Edited by '7'

unvarnished truth. Brodeur wants to run a hockey club, go study the NHL, AHL, all minor junior leagues, international leagues, go be a scout for 2 years. spend 6-7 years in the nitty gritty of hockey management as a hard working assistant... and then come back to me. Because Marty McSofty doesn't get to manage right off the bat with no experience just because of his name. Worked out so well for Gretzky and Trottier eh.

There is no way he is just given the reigns you should know better the Devils do not operate that way. In my opinion, he would make great GM he has a tremendous amount of hockey acumen.

There is no way he is just given the reigns you should know better the Devils do not operate that way. In my opinion, he would make great GM he has a tremendous amount of hockey acumen.

I don't think he has the temperament for it at all. I see him as being mostly laid back...but also snippy and passive aggressive at times (as he's shown this year)

Brodeur is best providing commentary as a future Chico or a studio analyst.

I'm not worried about McGuire potentially taking over for Lou once he retires. Pierre wouldn't be able to get Crosby's member out of his hand long enough to sign the contract making him GM here.

Where does this come from? Don't think this has any basis or truth.

Likely next GM is outside the organization.

I would think that Lou has given "a lesser role" thought to running the Devils besides all out retirement. Some here feel the game has passed him by, others don't. Not that he wants to let go of the "reins" all together. I was wondering if he thought about giving the GM post to someone else, and staying on as president? 

new ownership relinquished Lou from presidency 

edit: well i thought they did, wasnt there talk of Lou losing presidency or was that of business ops and he is still pres of hockey ops?

Edited by lazer

Already we know he's ignorant of what makes goalies good, so that's one strike against him.  What ^7^ said is correct, if he wants to be in a management type position, he should have to study a lot first.  These teams that are just naming former greats are playing with fire.

Already we know he's ignorant of what makes goalies good, so that's one strike against him.  What ^7^ said is correct, if he wants to be in a management type position, he should have to study a lot first.  These teams that are just naming former greats are playing with fire.

I gotta agree here. Players like Brodeur can't even explain why they themselves were good.

The biggest strike against him is that it could prove very difficult to fire him if he turns out to be a disaster.  I suspect that's one of the reasons why the Rangers did not give the head coach job to Messier.  So yeah, he really needs to build up some kind of track record somewhere else, although I'm not sure how former greats get experience with front office positions... is there the equivalent of a GM position for junior teams that comes kind of close to what an NHL GM has to do? 

Whether he actually knows what makes goalies good, or how to evaluate one, probably doesn't have much to do with him saying that all that matters to him are wins, or at least that's what I think you're getting at.  Outside of players like Luongo or Bryz, you're going to be hard pressed to find a goalie that says, "look at my save percentage, I'm really not that good anymore".  For a guy that just wants to play, he'll look for anything positive to throw out there. 

All this said, he'd be much better served being a television analyst.  So would Devils fans.

The biggest strike against him is that it could prove very difficult to fire him if he turns out to be a disaster.  I suspect that's one of the reasons why the Rangers did not give the head coach job to Messier.  So yeah, he really needs to build up some kind of track record somewhere else, although I'm not sure how former greats get experience with front office positions... is there the equivalent of a GM position for junior teams that comes kind of close to what an NHL GM has to do? 

Whether he actually knows what makes goalies good, or how to evaluate one, probably doesn't have much to do with him saying that all that matters to him are wins, or at least that's what I think you're getting at.  Outside of players like Luongo or Bryz, you're going to be hard pressed to find a goalie that says, "look at my save percentage, I'm really not that good anymore".  For a guy that just wants to play, he'll look for anything positive to throw out there. 

All this said, he'd be much better served being a television analyst.  So would Devils fans.

I believe Yzerman spent some time as vice president of the Wings and according to wikipedia he was an "alternate governor" there as well. That gave him time to do the "how things work" behind the scenes stuff before putting together several Team Canada teams and then joining the Lightning. So if Marty is looking to head in that direction, maybe he gets some sort of job like that from the Devils when he calls it a career.