DeBoer On The Cusp Of

William D'Aquila

This is good news. We saw what Deboer is capable with a talented roster and let's face it, the Devils of the last 2 seasons weren't exactly oozing with skill.  The most important thing is that the players love him and he has them prepared 99% of the time.

The whole "Deboer kills young players" is asinine as well.  Look at how Merrill and Henrique thrived and Larsson in his rookie year.  We've seen what a dumpster fire Gelinas is in the defensive zone and while I love Josefson, he hasn't exactly seized the chances he's been given.  Larsson this year was playing big minutes until he got hurt, but Merrill passed him.

Didn't see the need as I live in America and watch hockey, yet I am somehow very familiar with not only the term and its connection with the CBC.

Think again next time, and lose the superiority thing and maybe you'll actually be able to have a meaningful conversation here a few times.

Seriously, what is it with people lately coming in here and trashing others for no reason? A lack of actual social skills?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Think again next time, and lose the superiority thing and maybe you'll actually be able to have a meaningful conversation here a few times.

Seriously, what is it with people lately coming in here and trashing others for no reason? A lack of actual social skills?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I have meaningful conversations with triumph, lazer, hoi, and others on a daily basis. Have some pretzels sit back and relax.

as long as he's not entranced by Brodeur and plays Larsson, I'm fine with it

I definitely wish Schneider played at least 50 games this year.  Larsson and Gelinas should have been on the team all season long.

Doesn't surprise me the majority of people on this forum don't have a clue. From the anti-Deboer crowd to those that blame Brodeur for missing the playoffs despite the Devils having a better record with him in net.

Brodeur played a part.  I can't think of one game he stole for the Devils.  I can think of some where he stole games from his own team though.

Nope, the majority of you are spoiled, the same goes for the posters at hfboards.

The fact that a sizable minority wants to fire Lou and Pete DeBoer shows how clueless this fan-base is. Lou has managed to rebuild the team from the net out again, which is how the Devils dominated the league for nearly 20 years, but hey lets fire him because we've had a rough stretch. There is no way he knew Kovy would retire and Parise would leave.

As for DeBoer our best player is 42 years old, and despite that the Devils were in position for a playoff spot up until this week. If the Devils had the Avs record in 1 goal games the Devils would have 104 points going into today's game. The system works and the players will come.

I have to agree with this post.

I agree many fans are spolied, and I do think Lou gets too much crap from the fanbase though.  Let's face it.  We can't pinpoint any one thing that led to our demise this year.  But the first place we can look to is the shootout.  You can't pin that on Lou or Pete.  The Devils went 4-45 in the shootout.  That doesn't happen without bad luck. That shooting percentage is such a fluke, and should just be thrown out.  We have plenty of players on this team who are in the 30% range in shootouts, and the fact that those guys went "0 for" all season long is unexplainable.  I'm referring to guys like Elias and Clowe who coming in were almost 40% in the shootout.

This is good news. We saw what Deboer is capable with a talented roster and let's face it, the Devils of the last 2 seasons weren't exactly oozing with skill.  The most important thing is that the players love him and he has them prepared 99% of the time.

The whole "Deboer kills young players" is asinine as well.  Look at how Merrill and Henrique thrived and Larsson in his rookie year.  We've seen what a dumpster fire Gelinas is in the defensive zone and while I love Josefson, he hasn't exactly seized the chances he's been given.  Larsson this year was playing big minutes until he got hurt, but Merrill passed him.

Here's the problem.  Gelinas and Larsson got misused.  Gelinas being sent down just because he was shaky defensively for a period of time is something I can't agree with.  He was good defensively for a while when he was paired with Larsson.  Then Larsson got hurt, and that's when Gelinas started to struggle defensively.  But his struggles defensively don't cancel out what he brought offensively.  He was too valuable of a player to send down at that point, and the team was doing good with him in the lineup.  His defensive deficiencies weren't killing the team.  It's that mindset that kills young players.  They play scared as a result.  Salvador killed the team far more than Gelinas did, and Gelinas is the one who got punished. I agree Josefson is overrated, and Loktionov just didn't fit here.  But Larsson and Gelinas being misused was what makes no sense.

Also regarding Henrique, what did Pete do when Adam was going on that tear?  He splits him up with Elias, and Adam's play went south after that. I don't like the quick trigger finger of Pete in terms of making unnecessary adjustments.

They went 16-27 in Schneider's games, he ended with a sub 2 GAA.    I think that qualifies as a chance to coach with good goaltending.    It's a mistake unless something in the process is going to change.

They didn't go 16-27 with Schneider.  Shootout and OTL's are not losses.  Stop putting them in the loss category.

Edited by Mike Brown

I definitely wish Schneider played at least 50 games this year.  Larsson and Gelinas should have been on the team all season long.

Brodeur played a part.  I can't think of one game he stole for the Devils.  I can think of some where he stole games from his own team though.

I have to agree with this post.

I agree many fans are spolied, and I do think Lou gets too much crap from the fanbase though.  Let's face it.  We can't pinpoint any one thing that led to our demise this year.  But the first place we can look to is the shootout.  You can't pin that on Lou or Pete.  The Devils went 4-45 in the shootout.  That doesn't happen without bad luck. That shooting percentage is such a fluke, and should just be thrown out.  We have plenty of players on this team who are in the 30% range in shootouts, and the fact that those guys went "0 for" all season long is unexplainable.  I'm referring to guys like Elias and Clowe who coming in were almost 40% in the shootout.

Here's the problem.  Gelinas and Larsson got misused.  Gelinas being sent down just because he was shaky defensively for a period of time is something I can't agree with.  He was good defensively for a while when he was paired with Larsson.  Then Larsson got hurt, and that's when Gelinas started to struggle defensively.  But his struggles defensively don't cancel out what he brought offensively.  He was too valuable of a player to send down at that point, and the team was doing good with him in the lineup.  His defensive deficiencies weren't killing the team.  It's that mindset that kills young players.  They play scared as a result.  Salvador killed the team far more than Gelinas did, and Gelinas is the one who got punished. I agree Josefson is overrated, and Loktionov just didn't fit here.  But Larsson and Gelinas being misused was what makes no sense.

Also regarding Henrique, what did Pete do when Adam was going on that tear?  He splits him up with Elias, and Adam's play went south after that. I don't like the quick trigger finger of Pete in terms of making unnecessary adjustments.

They didn't go 16-27 with Schneider.  Shootout and OTL's are not losses.  Stop putting them in the loss category.

They didn't win them, did they, and it's one of the primary reasons they missed the playoffs. 

Fine, let's throw out OT and go straight up and down in regulation.   10-15.

A few interesting notes from an ESPN article:

1) Somehow Deboer's commenting on his future made their front page

2) Katie Strang using "advanced" stats in her column:

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nhl/story/_/id/10776749/coach-pete-deboer-return-new-jersey-devils-know

The Devils, who will miss the playoffs for a second straight season, went a mind-boggling 0-for-13 in the shootout. Heading into Sunday, they ranked 27th in the league in goals for, averaging only 2.40 per game.

But the team's possession numbers portray an entirely different picture. Heading into Sunday's matinee against the Boston Bruins, the Devils boast an impressive 53.7 Fenwick percentage, a statistic that quantifies total shots attempted, excluding blocked shots. The Devils are the only team in the top five of that metric that did not qualify for the postseason. The others in the top five? Los Angeles, Chicago, San Jose and Boston.

"That's something we've preached since Day 1 here. To me, the game's not complicated," DeBoer said. "If you have the puck, if you're outchancing the opponent ... if you're putting more shots on net than they are, you should have success."

Edited by devilsrule33

They didn't win them, did they, and it's one of the primary reasons they missed the playoffs. 

Fine, let's throw out OT and go straight up and down in regulation.   10-15.

Teams who draw inferences from 25 game stretches of shooting luck are bound to make incredible mistakes in team and player evaluations.  What's clear is that the process is correct - next year Schneider will be 15-10 in that situation even if the Devils don't improve themselves at all from this year.  

If you look at this team and think 'Wow, this team should've scored a lot more', well, I don't know what to tell you.  They're missing a couple goals from people like Ryder and Brunner but there's really not a ton more coming out of this group.

Edited by Triumph

It sounds like this is a one year extension which I think is a perfect move. Give him a chance with a better team next year and see what happens. He had the team playing hard. I still disagree with a lot of his decisions when it comes to lineups and roster management but I love his system and the players love him so you take the good with the bad I guess. If things don't go well then I feeling a change will be made rather quickly, but as long as the team is improved I don't think it'll be necessary.

It sounds like this is a one year extension which I think is a perfect move. Give him a chance with a better team next year and see what happens. He had the team playing hard. I still disagree with a lot of his decisions when it comes to lineups and roster management but I love his system and the players love him so you take the good with the bad I guess. If things don't go well then I feeling a change will be made rather quickly, but as long as the team is improved I don't think it'll be necessary.

exactly this ..everything you said is spot on.. ive said through out the season that you can only do so much with what you have to work with..and i think that played a big role this season, there just wasnt much talent on the team. One more year for deboer right now i think is the best thing

Nope, the majority of you are spoiled, the same goes for the posters at hfboards.

The fact that a sizable minority wants to fire Lou and Pete DeBoer shows how clueless this fan-base is. Lou has managed to rebuild the team from the net out again, which is how the Devils dominated the league for nearly 20 years, but hey lets fire him because we've had a rough stretch. There is no way he knew Kovy would retire and Parise would leave.

As for DeBoer our best player is 42 years old, and despite that the Devils were in position for a playoff spot up until this week. If the Devils had the Avs record in 1 goal games the Devils would have 104 points going into today's game. The system works and the players will come.

So let me understand this, LL has done everything he is supposed to do in rebuilding the team, yet Deboer gets a pass becuase the roster sucks, thats basically what you said..

cannot have it both ways!!

I like PDB, want him to stay, wish he would juggle lines a little less, but I think the game has passed LL by,m this team needs to get younger & faster... thats on LL no one else...

So let me understand this, LL has done everything he is supposed to do in rebuilding the team, yet Deboer gets a pass becuase the roster sucks, thats basically what you said..

cannot have it both ways!!

I like PDB, want him to stay, wish he would juggle lines a little less, but I think the game has passed LL by,m this team needs to get younger & faster... thats on LL no one else...

Lou suffered from devastating personnel losses and tried to keep the team as competitive as possible with few spare parts. What more could you want him to do?

Pete squeezed as much as he could out of this team.

You want to blame them with how they handled Brodeur, fine. But this team was not going to be a contender overnight after losing Parise, Kovy, and clarkson consecutively.

Everything that could break out way, broke the other way this year, it happens.

Younger and faster is such a generic phrase. The Devils could have been younger and faster with bad hockey players. Tedenby fits that bill 100%. How would you have made the Devils younger and faster?

Edited by Devils Pride 26