Confirmed : DeBoer is back

William D'Aquila

Said no one, ever.

http://www.torontosun.com/2014/04/10/new-maple-leafs-hockey-boss-brendan-shanahan-brings-impressive-credentials-to-job

Already, there is speculation that Shanahan could replace Carlyle with Peter DeBoer, whose contract as coach of the New Jersey Devils is about to expire.

DeBoer, as you know, had a major role in Clarkson’s development, first with the Kitchener Rangers of the Ontario Hockey League and then with the Devils. That alone could make DeBoer a good fit in Toronto.

i thought for sure that he wouldve strolled off into the sunlight and whatever team he went to coach would wind up having some great successful season next year.. i mean thats just the type of luck we tend to have over here.. glad he will be back again next year though hopefully he has a little more talent to work with

Well looky there!  A speculative article!

Last I checked the Toronto Sun does not represent the pulse of a fan base any more than Rich Chere or the NY Post does for us.  Most of the fans I were reading reacting from the Maple Leaf perspective saw zero improvement in bringing Deboer in since a lot of the issues they've had with Carlyle, are many of the marks on Deboer (terrible at developing/teaching prospects, stubbornness, slow to adjust system).  They hated it even more on the basis of being desperate to use familiarity and historical success to try and get Kadri on the right track and try and get some value out of Clarkson before it officially is sealed as the worst contract in hockey.

Well looky there!  A speculative article!

Last I checked the Toronto Sun does not represent the pulse of a fan base any more than Rich Chere or the NY Post does for us.  Most of the fans I were reading reacting from the Maple Leaf perspective saw zero improvement in bringing Deboer in since a lot of the issues they've had with Carlyle, are many of the marks on Deboer (terrible at developing/teaching prospects, stubbornness, slow to adjust system).  They hated it even more on the basis of being desperate to use familiarity and historical success to try and get Kadri on the right track and try and get some value out of Clarkson before it officially is sealed as the worst contract in hockey.

They are idiots.  I'm glad that HFboards is still a thriving place.  Most Leafs fans I saw on Twitter were quite excited about the possibility of landing DeBoer.  But then again, you'd never project your views onto others.

They are idiots.  I'm glad that HFboards is still a thriving place.  Most Leafs fans I saw on Twitter were quite excited about the possibility of landing DeBoer.  But then again, you'd never project your views onto others.

I'd say post them, but you'd just do the same thing you accused me of and probably just select whatever fits your narrative.  I find you always quite humorous since you atypically project your views as well.

Most Maple Leafs fans want no part of Deboer.  They want a younger up and coming coach.

By the way, Deboer had virtually no other interest back when the Devils hired him.  He got a sniff or two from the OHL, but no other NHL offers.

*Also I did not check HFboards.  I try to stay away from there.  It's even worse than some of the blind squirrels on this board.

Edited by coldply123

Deboer is no dummy. Toronto is a powderkeg where he'd be expected to be a savior and in short order.

I wouldn't be surprised if he begged Lou for an extension to protect him from Toronto's lure. "You don't understand Lou, they'll...make me do things there....horrible things...like play Clarkson on the first line."

I wouldn't be surprised if he begged Lou for an extension to protect him from Toronto's lure. "You don't understand Lou, they'll...make me do things there....horrible things...like play Clarkson on the first line."

He's probably thrilled to stay here.  Keeps getting new excuses manufactured for him year after year.  I can't wait for next years.

I'd say post them, but you'd just do the same thing you accused me of.  I find you always quite humorous since you atypically project your views as well.

Most Maple Leafs fans want no part of Deboer.  They want a younger up and coming coach.

By the way, Deboer had virtually no other interest back when the Devils hired him.  He got a sniff or two from the OHL, but no other NHL offers.

*Also I did not check HFboards.  I try to stay away from there.  It's even worse than some of the blind squirrels on this board.

https://twitter.com/draglikepull/status/455381987562250240

https://twitter.com/mresnick77/status/454989472468176896

https://twitter.com/APetrielli/status/454705179414114304

I can keep going I'm sure.  

Just because the NHL is doltish enough as a collective to not see the value of a person doesn't mean they're not valuable.

https://twitter.com/draglikepull/status/455381987562250240

https://twitter.com/mresnick77/status/454989472468176896

https://twitter.com/APetrielli/status/454705179414114304

I can keep going I'm sure.  

Just because the NHL is doltish enough as a collective to not see the value of a person doesn't mean they're not valuable.

There are lots of coaches with value and many other names have been bandied about for the TOR job.

He's probably thrilled to stay here.  Keeps getting new excuses manufactured for him year after year.  I can't wait for next years.

I certainly hope he's thrilled to stay here. I also don't think anyone made any excuses for him that aren't true (aka he had only  decent team) and we should all want to see what he can do with a faster, more skilled team.

There are lots of coaches with value and many other names have been bandied about for the TOR job.

Here, I'll quote the above: 'Oh hey there were Toronto fans talking up DeBoer, you're right Triumph'

The Deboer stuff came from Aaron Ward who was obviously a teammate of Shanahan's for a long time and from there the Toronto media ran with it and Toronto fans were wondering - some were obviously in favor of the potential move.

Edited by Triumph

I certainly hope he's thrilled to stay here. I also don't think anyone made any excuses for him that aren't true (aka he had only decent team) and we should all want to see what he can do with a faster, more skilled team.

Ok then he and Lou need to get on the same page. They keep building rosters the last two yrs that are the opposite of that. Slow, older, grinding.

Agreed. Easier said than done though. The Ruutu trade was not a good start.

Nope it wasn't. I like Ruutu but I liked him even more about three or four years ago before the hip issues. He has looked like a 4th liner so far which is troubling considering we are locked in for two more years.

Jagr, Ryder and Brunner are supposed to be the scoring wingers for our NHL quality role players. Jagr did his job... the other two need to be upgraded somehow, someway! and if jaromir leaves that's 3 goal scorers this team needs to acquire.  how long is that going to take????

Jagr, Ryder and Brunner are supposed to be the scoring wingers for our NHL quality role players. Jagr did his job... the other two need to be upgraded somehow, someway! and if jaromir leaves that's 3 goal scorers this team needs to acquire.  how long is that going to take????

Ryder had 18 goals and 34 points this season. Did you really expect a 30 goal season out of Ryder or Brunner? I get that he was super inconsistent this year, but we all knew that when we got him. I'd say Ryder did his job okay this year.

More than anything else, what I'm saying is we need a top scorer or two, but that's not really to "replace" Ryder or Brunner; it's because we needed a top level scorer on July 1st regardless of what other UFA signings we ended up making, and we never got one. I don't think Lou or DeBoer ever looked at Ryder coming onto our team as the answer to all our Kovy-problems.

Edited by DJ Eco

Ryder had 18 goals and 34 points this season. Did you really expect a 30 goal season out of Ryder or Brunner? I get that he was super inconsistent this year, but we all knew that when we got him. I'd say Ryder did his job okay this year.

More than anything else, what I'm saying is we need a top scorer or two, but that's not really to "replace" Ryder or Brunner; it's because we needed a top level scorer on July 1st regardless of what other UFA signings we ended up making, and we never got one. I don't think Lou or DeBoer ever looked at Ryder coming onto our team as the answer to all our Kovy-problems.

I picked these two because they are primarily scorers and, well, basically NOTHING ELSE! they need to be upgraded. so yeah I think its to replace their spots on the ice. give me (2) 25 goal scorers in their place please, LOL  and sooner than later

No one expected 30 goals out of Ryder. But that is beside the point. At one point Ryder had only scored once in 30+ games. That's unacceptable no matter how many points he accrued at other points during the season.

Re:  Ryder, he was disappointing.  Expecting 25 goals or so was not crazy on anyone's part...he scored 35 just two seasons ago, and was on pace for 29 last season.  He's also averaged 25 per 82 games for his career.  He hasn't always reached that average mark of course, but if someone had told us "Ryder will score 18 goals in 82 GP and will have a one-goal-in-33-games funk", I don't think too many of us would've said, "Guess that's OK." 

No one could really rightly "expect" any specific numbers out of Brunner...that was a "hope it works out" signing that pretty much didn't.  Sucks, but that happens. 

Re:  Ryder, he was disappointing.  Expecting 25 goals or so was not crazy on anyone's part...he scored 35 just two seasons ago, and was on pace for 29 last season.  He's also averaged 25 per 82 games for his career.  He hasn't always reached that average mark of course, but if someone had told us "Ryder will score 18 goals in 82 GP and will have a one-goal-in-33-games funk", I don't think too many of us would've said, "Guess that's OK." 

No one could really rightly "expect" any specific numbers out of Brunner...that was a "hope it works out" signing that pretty much didn't.  Sucks, but that happens. 

these were stop gap moves by Lou which he HAD TO make to try and fill a big void. but now its time to upgrade the two.

these were stop gap moves by Lou which he HAD TO make to try and fill a big void. but now its time to upgrade the two.

I agree, not knocking the moves because they were made.