Selanne's Moment: Probably One of the Best Moments of this Season

Devilsfan118

I said in the other thread, Brodeur could have had that on ice moment if he wanted it. Really was an awesome sports moment.

3 things from yesterday did bug me.

1) Music operator not cutting off the music early to let the fans take over.

2) (Sorry to call him on it in his last seconds as being a commentator for the Devils), but Chico shoud have kept quiet and let the sounds and pictures do the talking rather than gabbing over Brodeur's last lap.

3) The fans were beginning to give Brodeur a very loud and lengthy ovation, yet Deb, also not understanding the moment, stepped right in for the interview. Stupid as fvck.

I said in the other thread, Brodeur could have had that on ice moment if he wanted it. Really was an awesome sports moment.

3 things from yesterday did bug me.

1) Music operator not cutting off the music early to let the fans take over.

2) (Sorry to call him on it in his last seconds as being a commentator for the Devils), but Chico shoud have kept quiet and let the sounds and pictures do the talking rather than gabbing over Brodeur's last lap.

3) The fans were beginning to give Brodeur a very loud and lengthy ovation, yet Deb, also not understanding the moment, stepped right in for the interview. Stupid as fvck.

Agree w/ all, but again, Devils did what they could knowing that Marty may very well don a new Jersey next year...

Brodeur will have his own ceremony after he's retired and we raise his jersey and all that good stuff.Yesterday's ceremony was fine for what it was in my opinion.

I agree that the whole Devil's broadcast has a mass produced feel to it and when you try to cram a special moment in, there isn't a lot of flexibility. The first blooper yesterday in my opinion, was when they cut to a commercial break as the Devils came on the ice at the beginning of the game. Then Steve tries to describe the reaction Marty got from the fans. But at that point it's too late. It would have been awesome to see that moment on screen. Same with the arena music and (to a lesser extent) Chico talking through everything.

Edited by devils102

Yeah, that made Brodeur's moment look very weak in comparison. Of course, I think its known that Selanne is done, and Brodeur not so much.

Difference is that Selanne officially announced he was done after this year.  Brodeur DID NOT. 

Edited by Mitico12

Eh, a little cheesy and over the top IMO, close to messier level, I mean the guy is gonna play again in two days, plus he'll get plenty of recognition when his jersey is retired and again when he walks into the hall.

I really think brodeur is gonna play next year, but even so I think the recognition he got after the game was appropriate and in the mold of the devils way of business, but then again I'm not one for the whole retirement tour schtick a la Selanne/jeter/chipper.

I don't want the Selanne celebration, it was sooo over the top imo. What was done is fitting. The team probably wouldn't have done it even if Marty announced his retirement in October.

I've seen Deb do things like this before. When the player and fans are having 'their' moment, she needs to have 'her' moment.

You guys are nuts. If Brodeur announced he was retiring, I'd very much like to have a skate around the ice like Selanne had. He'll get one more and deservedly so once Ana is eliminated (if they are) and on home-ice. These moments are bigger than the game.

During a retirement ceremony it's fine, not right after a game. What the team did was perfectly tasteful.

Gotta disagree, I think that was pretty perfect.  It's a little silly I guess that they did it before the playoffs, but I don't think it was a bad decision.  I mean, what if they happen to be eliminated on the road?  It made the most sense to do it after the regular season imo.

Marty's wasn't even close imo..for the reasons dr33 mentioned, but also because Marty's likely not retiring.  So it's not so much saying goodbye as much as the last time seeing him in a Devils sweater.

Gotta disagree, I think that was pretty perfect. It's a little silly I guess that they did it before the playoffs, but I don't think it was a bad decision. I mean, what if they happen to be eliminated on the road? It made the most sense to do it after the regular season imo.

Marty's wasn't even close imo..for the reasons dr33 mentioned, but also because Marty's likely not retiring. So it's not so much saying goodbye as much as the last time seeing him in a Devils sweater.

hypothetically, if Marty announced last week that he was retiring, then I suppose a little more could have been done, but to have both teams & refs stand on the ice, have him named all 3 stars (thus comparing him to gretzky), dim the lights and have stars shining on the ice as he skates around is a little much IMO.

hypothetically, if Marty announced last week that he was retiring, then I suppose a little more could have been done, but to have both teams & refs stand on the ice, have him named all 3 stars (thus comparing him to gretzky), dim the lights and have stars shining on the ice as he skates around is a little much IMO.

Agreed. Naming Selanne all three stars was cheesy. Actually, naming Brodeur the #1 star was a little cheesy, he didn't exactly earn it in that game. 

• Like 1