Brian Gionta and other possibilities

2ELIAS6

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'd be wary of him to be honest. What has he done without being JT's winger

He's been a scorer at every level of hockey he's ever played at. He was a key piece of the Cornell Big Red's ECAC championships both in 2003 and 2005. When he got called up for his cups of coffee in LA he was scoring around a point a game in the AHL. Then he came to the Islanders and had 3 straight 30+ goal seasons. Even with a guy like Tavares, you can't be a stiff. He came in and put up 30 goals his very first full season and followed it up with no sophomore slump, just two more straight seasons of 30+ goals. Tell me, who on the Islanders scored 30 goals this season? No one. If it was all about playing with Tavares, some other stiff would've taken his place and become an instant 30 goal scorer.

He's been a scorer at every level of hockey he's ever played at. He was a key piece of the Cornell Big Red's ECAC championships both in 2003 and 2005. When he got called up for his cups of coffee in LA he was scoring around a point a game in the AHL. Then he came to the Islanders and had 3 straight 30+ goal seasons. Even with a guy like Tavares, you can't be a stiff. He came in and put up 30 goals his very first full season and followed it up with no sophomore slump, just two more straight seasons of 30+ goals. Tell me, who on the Islanders scored 30 goals this season? No one. If it was all about playing with Tavares, some other stiff would've taken his place and become an instant 30 goal scorer.

This is very fair. And I would not compare him to Ryder. If Ryder doesn't score, he is a negative to your team. He has no speed, can't play decent defense, kills a breakout. He has his shot. That's it and it better go in or else.

Moulson can score sure, but if he's not, he has speed, can get in on the forecheck, PK, and disrupt the opponents with his speed.

I think he's gonna get a 5/30 deal and I don't love that at all but I don think he's a stiff

He needs someone to get him the puck, and the Devils don't really have that.  We've been through this with Ryder, they don't need another player like this, unless they can get the right guys to surround him.  He scores but does not do much else and I don't expect him to be a 30 goal scorer going forward unless he ends up in the right situation.

Thomas Vanek scored 17 goals in 47 games for the Islanders, which is a 29.6 goal pace, and Okposo was on a 30 goal pace as well but got hurt.

sundstrom:  Moulson is not fast, he's not a forechecker.

Edited by Triumph

He needs someone to get him the puck, and the Devils don't really have that.  We've been through this with Ryder, they don't need another player like this, unless they can get the right guys to surround him.  He scores but does not do much else and I don't expect him to be a 30 goal scorer going forward unless he ends up in the right situation.

Thomas Vanek scored 17 goals in 47 games for the Islanders, which is a 29.6 goal pace, and Okposo was on a 30 goal pace as well but got hurt.

sundstrom:  Moulson is not fast, he's not a forechecker.

Vanek is Vanek. He's not exactly a stiff. Okposo is definitely a better example. Nobody's going to say Vanek is only scoring because of Tavares. Okposo on the other hand could very well be reaping that benefit, although he's always been a player who has been verging on a breakout but falls just short. Maybe he's finally hitting that power-forward stride that always takes that extra couple of years.