The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

Hal Gill's performance today is an indication that Salvador is a useful enough defenseman that some team would take him for a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gill was terrible. It's hard to believe the Flyers had no one else that could play at a serviceable level other then a washed up, plodding 39 year old.

Edited by TheRedStorm

Hal Gill's performance today is an indication that Salvador is a useful enough defenseman that some team would take him for a year.

Gill is much cheaper.  NJ could deal Salvador, maybe, but they would definitely have to pick up part of the check.  And I don't think they will do that.

Gill is much cheaper. NJ could deal Salvador, maybe, but they would definitely have to pick up part of the check. And I don't think they will do that.

Gill is cheaper, but he arguably was responsible for today's loss, and as the sixth defenseman. Doesn't matter if he's making the league minimum, he's awful at any price. Some teams that are otherwise pretty good find themselves relying on an anchor like Gill, which is why they would have use for someone like Salvador. We don't like him, but the fact remains he gets decent ice time on the best defensive team in the league.

Whether they have to pick up part of the check depends on who he theoretically would be dealt to. He's got one year left, and you would tend to have to give up something of use if you want the other team to retain salary. If you're a team that's not in cap he'll next year, you can absorb that whole salary without issue.

Gill was a healthy scratch 70+ times this year.  The Flyers signed him and then did not use him, not for any reason.  I have no idea why they went to him today.  

Salvador just can't be used in a top 4 role next year, he should take over Volchenkov's minutes when Volchenkov is complianced.  I also don't think you can drum up a market for a guy who's been injured 3 times in the last 2 years and who turns 39 next season.  You have to take on a bad contract or pick up a piece of its salary for it to move, and that's if you're lucky.

It will be an interesting offseason. I believe NJ makes a little bit of a youth move next year seeing that they were a little too slow last year. Sislo, Josefson and Boucher full time next year. On defense I believe a move has to be made, I can't really see all three of Gelinas, Merrill and Larsson in the lineup at once.

It will be an interesting offseason. I believe NJ makes a little bit of a youth move next year seeing that they were a little too slow last year. Sislo, Josefson and Boucher full time next year. On defense I believe a move has to be made, I can't really see all three of Gelinas, Merrill and Larsson in the lineup at once.

Josefson has no future here with Deboer staying. I'd love Sislo in a 4th line role to replace Bernier but time will tell if that 4th line gets shuffled off the roster like it should and deserves to be.

I think one of the young D is getting shipped out in a trade.

:lol: you waited 2 days and then completely misrepresented what he said.

Disagree with someone all you want but at least do it honestly.

There were 2 things said, this same roster probably makes the playoffs next season, which I think is probably true, and the Devils should try to add some of the good free agents.

As an aside that isn't directed at Neboors or this topic, I don't understand wanting to complain about a poster whenever they post instead of ignoring or discussing. It's getting hard to sift through a lot of threads because they're just becoming personal insults and arguments without any hockey talk.

You use a laughing face in your response to me and then you call for cordiality later in your post? As for waiting two days, I mean, I am busy this time of year and see the posts when I do; who are you to judge when I respond to posts?

If anything you are misrepresenting what he is saying. His phrasing clearly implied that if the Devils don't make roster changes, it's no big deal. That was clear. I don't personally insult MB, and there are only a few people who do. I engage him in debate all the time and so do others. 

Lastly, take it in context. If you know where MB has stood on the Devils this season - making ridiculous posts about how the Devils would easily make the playoffs and how the team could easily go on winning streaks, then maybe you'd understand the discourse taking place here.

Edited by Neb00rs

I'm not sure, although Josefson was given an audition of sorts late in the season.  I think Sislo could make the team - of course he is also eligible to walk, though I doubt he will.  I think NJ will give him a shot to make the roster.  Boucher, dunno, lot depends on his training camp, but I'm not sure he will have a spot penciled in for him.  If they dump Josefson or he leaves they will need someone to replace that, because Scott Timmins is not that guy and neither is Kelly Zajac.

Merrill's not going to be someone to worry about, and neither really is Larsson - I think they could rotate one guy out sometimes and switch Harrold in.  

Salvador is very tradeable, so you wouldn't have to waive him. An average NHL salary for one more year and no NTC. You could probably get a fourth round pick for him, especially from a team like Buffalo that has more picks than it knows what to do with. I think Lou wants to keep him around though, unless this analytics person ends up having more influence than we expect.

It looks more and more likely that Volchenkov gets bought out.

Seriously? You think he's tradeable?? Unless a GM is trying to get fired, I have no idea why you would treade for Sal.

Seriously? You think he's tradeable?? Unless a GM is trying to get fired, I have no idea why you would treade for Sal.

I imagine his numbers don't stack up too horribly with the rest of the league. And again, he was a part of a very good defensive unit as a whole. There are enough teams with plenty of cap space for one more year that have very thin defensive units that might see "leadership" value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of Salvador/Volchenkov has to get moved and I'd much rather it be Salvador. I still think Volchenkov can contribute and his contract may not be ideal but it's not terrible. Plus Volchenkov has a NTC where Salvador has no restrictions. Salvador only has a year left at $3,166,667 so maybe he'd appeal to a team that is around the cap floor that needs a vet.

One of Salvador/Volchenkov has to get moved and I'd much rather it be Salvador. I still think Volchenkov can contribute and his contract may not be ideal but it's not terrible. Plus Volchenkov has a NTC where Salvador has no restrictions. Salvador only has a year left at $3,166,667 so maybe he'd appeal to a team that is around the cap floor that needs a vet.

The thing is, with a compliance buyout for Volch we get rid of him for "free". Trading Sal saves 3.1 the next year on the cap while trading volch saves 8.2 over the next two years.

Regardless, the only wrong move would keeping both. Not enough room for both of them slowing down the blue line.

The thing is, with a compliance buyout for Volch we get rid of him for "free". Trading Sal saves 3.1 the next year on the cap while trading volch saves 8.2 over the next two years.

Regardless, the only wrong move would keeping both. Not enough room for both of them slowing down the blue line.

I'd still prefer Sal be the one who goes so we can make Greene the captain and kill two birds with one stone.
  • Like 1

There's something to be said for the play of Salvador and Volchenkov. They have been the pillars of the league leading PK for like 3 years in a row now.

I'll give Volchenkov more of that credit than Sal. Sal always seems to be the weakest link on the PK, gives the opposing forward 2 seconds of time and 2 feet of space in front of our goaltender.

There's something to be said for the play of Salvador and Volchenkov. They have been the pillars of the league leading PK for like 3 years in a row now.

Eh, while I think they are okay in this regard, I think Salvador is getting even too slow to play on the PK effectively.  He had the highest SA/60 of anyone on the PK - I know he plays against the 1st unit every time, but so does Volchenkov, and he has the lowest SA/60.  It's not a huge difference - 7 SA/60 - but it's big enough.  Still, I don't see that trend changing any time soon.

Eh, while I think they are okay in this regard, I think Salvador is getting even too slow to play on the PK effectively.  He had the highest SA/60 of anyone on the PK - I know he plays against the 1st unit every time, but so does Volchenkov, and he has the lowest SA/60.  It's not a huge difference - 7 SA/60 - but it's big enough.  Still, I don't see that trend changing any time soon.

It must be something other than speed. Volchenkov might be the only person on the team Salvador can win a race against.

I really think we'll see how good Lou can be this offseason cause he has to make the right moves and his margin of error is pretty small or we'll get the same results than this year.

Our problem is that we have too many good but average players. We barely have room to sign people without creating another logjam of average players. We dont really have a legit first line guy either. This is how i see our team

2nd line guys:

Henrique

Zajac

Jagr

Below average or borderline top6 but not suited for 3rd line:

Elias

Ryder

Brunner

3rd line:

Clowe

Josefson

Zubrus

Ruutu

Above average 4th liner:

Carter

Bernier

4th liner:

Gionta

He'll have to find ways to infuse talent, let go of extra weight that can get some kind of fair compensation and make room for better suited players.

Edited by SterioDesign