The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

So...I'll throw this out there:

What would it take to pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh?  Assuming major changes are on the way.. I personally don't think it'd be do-able, especially being in the same division and all but it'd be one hell of a sweet pickup.

What would it take to pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh?  Assuming major changes are on the way.. I personally don't think it'd be do-able, especially being in the same division and all but it'd be one hell of a sweet pickup.

yeah we don't have nearly enough even if they'd wanna trade him even if Larsson would probably be a decent start since their defense is god awful 

What would it take to pry Malkin out of Pittsburgh? Assuming major changes are on the way.. I personally don't think it'd be do-able, especially being in the same division and all but it'd be one hell of a sweet pickup.

It would never happen. Forget the division, they would never trade Malkin in the east. I think SJ could be a destination for him- two teams that need to make some major changes. And SJ has the assets to make a Malkin deal happen. Only thing is I don't know how the Sharks' cap situation looks...

If they ever did trade Malkin it'd be for Shea Weber, or something like that. Monster D for monster forward.

But why would they make a change like 'that' when they won't even change up Disco Dan or Fleury yet?

Disco Dan is gonna be bee-boppin' and scattin' to the unemployment line by the end of the week, that's a done deal.

Disco Dan is gonna be bee-boppin' and scattin' to the unemployment line by the end of the week, that's a done deal.

Likely.  Bylsma has gotten the results, just always short on the prize for the last 4-5 years.  Idk if he's done in Pitt yet, I can see a roster shakeup before I see Disco Dan getting the boot.  If the Pens got beat in the first round by the BLUE JACKETS(which I personally would have found hilarious), then hell yes, fire his ass, fire it good.  I could totally see the Pens and the Sharks as trade partners.  I could see Neal or Malkin getting traded to SJ for Brent Burns, Couture, Pavelski, Thornton.  Assuming a few of those Sharks players would waive their NTC.

EDIT:  Maybe......throw in a goalie swap as well.  Niemi for Fleury?  Very interesting trading partners.

Edited by RizzMB30

Likely.  Bylsma has gotten the results, just always short on the prize for the last 4-5 years.  Idk if he's done in Pitt yet, I can see a roster shakeup before I see Disco Dan getting the boot.  If the Pens got beat in the first round by the BLUE JACKETS(which I personally would have found hilarious), then hell yes, fire his ass, fire it good.  I could totally see the Pens and the Sharks as trade partners.  I could see Neal or Malkin getting traded to SJ for Brent Burns, Couture, Pavelski, Thornton.  Assuming a few of those Sharks players would waive their NTC.

EDIT:  Maybe......throw in a goalie swap as well.  Niemi for Fleury?  Very interesting trading partners.

I was thinking this too

both teams with great regular seasons but playoff choke jobs, each team has some good "high priced" players that might need a change of scenery

imagining getting malkin makes me happy.. but as already said wont happen in this lifetime

Interestingly I recall Holik proposing the idea of a Parise for Malkin swap when Kovalchuk signed his extension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interestingly I recall Holik proposing the idea of a Parise for Malkin swap when Kovalchuk signed his extension.

That never would've worked.  Malkin is not only a much better player but he was much more valuable at the time because of his age.

That never would've worked. Malkin is not only a much better player but he was much more valuable at the time because of his age.

As I recall, at the time Malkin was coming off his knee injury, which was also before Parise suffered his. So I suppose Holik's thinking was that the teams would also be exchanging the risk that Malkin's injury would have long term effect on his play.

Whatever it was, at the time, it didn't seem like George Costanza's attempt to get Griffey and Bonds without giving up too much.

If they ever did trade Malkin it'd be for Shea Weber, or something like that.  Monster D for monster forward.

But why would they make a change like 'that' when they won't even change up Disco Dan or Fleury yet?

Malkin for Weber is a deal that I think makes a ton of sense for both teams.  They grow top paring defenseman on trees in Nashville so they are actually the one team that could trade a guy like Weber and still have one of the best top pairings in the league in another year or two with Josi-Jones. Malkin would do wonders for their offense. 

For the Pens, Weber is the closest thing currently in the NHL to a guy like Stevens or Pronger who is nasty, good in both ends and can totally control a game in the playoffs when it matters.  I think he would do wonders for a generally soft team in Pittsburgh.     

Malkin isn't going anywhere, Pittsburgh journalists are already saying that if they did deal Malkin he'd go to the KHL.

Nashville is also not trading Weber, they've already put an enormous amount of money into retaining him.

Not to mention that no team would want to take risk of Weber's potential cap recapture penalty.  Weber is also one of the most valuable players in the league, and probably moreso than Malkin.  Nashville can generally be counted on to be a playoff contending team, with an otherwise very weak roster, largely because of what Weber brings to the table.  Malkin is an elite player, but not the type of guy that can carry a team on his own.  He's much more suitable, in theory anyway, going to a team like LA or the Rangers. 

Not to mention that no team would want to take risk of Weber's potential cap recapture penalty.  Weber is also one of the most valuable players in the league, and probably moreso than Malkin.  Nashville can generally be counted on to be a playoff contending team, with an otherwise very weak roster, largely because of what Weber brings to the table.  Malkin is an elite player, but not the type of guy that can carry a team on his own.  He's much more suitable, in theory anyway, going to a team like LA or the Rangers. 

There's absolutely no basis for what you're saying about Malkin - indeed, the Penguins have played without Crosby a lot the last few years and they've won a lot of division titles.

You can't call a player an elite player and then say he can't carry a team.  That's what you look at elite players to do night in and night out.  And as Tri has said, Malkin more than carried the Pens when Crosby was having concussion issues

malkin only won an MVP and Conn Smythe but sure he can't carry a team -_-

malkin only won an MVP and Conn Smythe but sure he can't carry a team -_-

Whatevs, it was a minor point. If I'm the Predators I'd rather have Weber if you take the cap recapture out of the equation.

Malkin has really carried that Pens team a lot more than Crosby. Remember Crosby has had large stretches when he has been out and Malkin had to pick up the slack. If not for Malkin that 08-09 team doesn't make the playoffs.

p

It's hard to overstate how good Crosby is. Cory Pronman, who is a buzzkill if there ever was one, once said that Crosby could probably take an AHL roster to the playoffs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk