The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

Please Lou, NO to all ex Devils. Bring in folks younger.  No reclamation projects, please.  Yes, Ryder does suck, but we're stuck with him this year anyway.  

You folks are kidding me on Havlat.  He hops over the boards and he's gone for the year.

There was speculation yesterday that if they can't trade him, they'll buy him out. I still don't want him but if he has no suitors and Lou got him for very cheap I won't complain (too much). Seems like a lateral move at best, a disaster at worst.

They are going to buy him out, no one is picking up that contract.  If they had any intention of trading him, they wouldn't announce to the world that he won't be there next year.

Edited by Triumph

“I don’t know what the future holds. If he comes back, we welcome him with open arms,” Peter DeBoer told Brady and Walker on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Tuesday. “You can never have enough great goaltending. And if he’s not, and decides to move on, then I wish him all the best and I always will appreciate what he did for us during my time in New Jersey.”

“I got to see firsthand what separates him from the other goalies in the history of the game,” DeBoer added. “His ability to raise his game at key moments under pressure, at key times, it was a real privilege to witness that firsthand. We wouldn’t have got back in the [stanley Cup] Final two years ago without him.”

---------

First bolded:  If that isn't Exhibit A as far a reason NOT to trust PDB with Marty on the roster next season, I don't know what is.  Jesus H, maybe he's saying it because he knows Marty won't be back next season so he's taking the high road, but saying Marty's still great just makes him look like an idiot (and I don't think Pete is a idiot at all, but I can't take the way everyone has to tiptoe around the fact that Marty isn't good anymore...especially when Marty doesn't exactly shy away from throwing his teammates under the bus). 

Second bolded:  Marty was good in the playoffs in 2012.  He was very good overall in the last 51 games of that season and I've said that many times.  June 2012 has no relevance in October 2014, when next season will begin.  Neither does anything Marty did as a younger player in his prime.  He's not that player anymore, and he never will be again.  One Lifetime Achievement contract under VERY understandable circumstances was fine.  A second one isn't.  God I hope Lou isn't putting on his leather jacket, sizing up his water skis, and talking a nice long gander at the ramp, with the shark circling just beyond it.  Please God no...

I'd welcome Marty back too.  He just won't get many starts.  I'm okay with this.

Why?  Based on the last two seasons, you don't think there's someone out there who will be better than Marty's been...probably at a lower cost to boot, and is truly willing to think of himself as a backup?  Marty wasn't much better than replacement level the past two seasons, save for a couple of fairly brief hot spells.  Do the Devils really need a 42-year-old fading backup?  The Devils look like they're going to need as many points as they can get...Marty's more likely to cost them points at this stage. 

You have to imagine that someone else in the NHL is this stupid, though.  There is some hope for that - I mean, if DeBoer is this dumb, someone else must be.  There was at least one other team offering Clarkson more money last July 1, for instance.  Could St. Louis make an offer?  They were dumb enough to sell off a bunch of stuff for a goalie who wasn't better than their present goalie, and everyone seems to think Miller is headed elsewhere.

Edited by Triumph

oh here we go with whats going to be the start of another brodeur haters club..

I don't hate him at all.  Appreciate everything he did for as long as he did it.  Doesn't mean he should be here forever.  And the backup games are important too, especially for a team that is going to have to scratch and claw for their points.  I'm not putting a .901 guy in for 20-25 games. 

You have to imagine that someone else in the NHL is this stupid, though.  There is some hope for that - I mean, if DeBoer is this dumb, someone else must be.  There was at least one other team offering Clarkson more money last July 1, for instance.  Could St. Louis make an offer? They were dumb enough to sell off a bunch of stuff for a goalie who wasn't better than their present goalie, and everyone seems to think Miller is headed elsewhere.

As long as he's not coming back here. 

Fans wanting Brodeur back are wanting him back solely based on sentimental reasons.  There is no way anyone can objectively say he is affective #1 or co-number #1 or even a backup.

The only way he should ever come back is as a backup playing 20 games or less.  That's it.  If he doesn't make 700 wins like a lot of fans (and I believe Marty does too) then tough sh!t. 

I think you guys are taking Pete too literally.  He banished Marty for long stretches in late January and late in the season.  He's just saying what he has to say for public consumption because let's face it, Marty's still a lot more popular than Pete.  You're not going to get anywhere publicly ripping Marty, no matter whether it's true or not.

Personally I'd be a lot more worried about what Lou says/does vis-a-vis Marty than Pete.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 1

I think you guys are taking Pete too literally.  He banished Marty for long stretches in late January and late in the season.  He's just saying what he has to say for public consumption because let's face it, Marty's still a lot more popular than Pete.  You're not going to get anywhere publicly ripping Marty, no matter whether it's true or not.

Personally I'd be a lot more worried about what Lou says/does vis-a-vis Marty than Pete.

Agreed.  I'm not saying hold on for sentimental reasons, or hold on at all.  I'm simply trying to again make the point, that who is Marty going to go to when he can't find a job elsewhere in the NHL?  Lou Lameriello.  I'm okay if he leaves, okay if he comes back.  We'd probably be better off if he didn't come back, but circumstances are that he has abysmal stats and only his historical pedigree to help him gain a contract. 

Fans wanting Brodeur back are wanting him back solely based on sentimental reasons.  There is no way anyone can objectively say he is affective #1 or co-number #1 or even a backup.

The only way he should ever come back is as a backup playing 20 games or less.  That's it.  If he doesn't make 700 wins like a lot of fans (and I believe Marty does too) then tough sh!t. 

You accused fans of only wanting him back for 'solely' sentimental reasons, but then you say "There is no way he's an effective backup" but then, "Oh, only 20 games or less"

You accused fans of only wanting him back for 'solely' sentimental reasons, but then you say "There is no way he's an effective backup" but then, "Oh, only 20 games or less"

He is not an effective backup at all.  However, if he were to come back (which none of us have any power over), he should get no more than 20 games at the very most.  If I had my way he would be out of the organization but this is not how Lou and Pete are thinking right now apparently.

Nice try on trying to MB me.

You have to imagine that someone else in the NHL is this stupid, though.  There is some hope for that - I mean, if DeBoer is this dumb, someone else must be.  There was at least one other team offering Clarkson more money last July 1, for instance.  Could St. Louis make an offer?  They were dumb enough to sell off a bunch of stuff for a goalie who wasn't better than their present goalie, and everyone seems to think Miller is headed elsewhere.

It's more than "seems" to think

Miller is out of St Louis

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?id=452554&hubname=nhl-blues