The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

We are competitive. Most of the league is competitive, the nature of parity.

If anything I'd say you can't worry about the NYR or Chicago or whoever. You need to look at our roster and do what you can to improve it piece by piece without making a mistep. It's a very hard job.

I like the idea being expressed in this thread that NJ needs to get both younger and better, because look at what the Rangers are doing.  Yeah, that's real easy, you just get all the young players available on the free agent market, and boom, Stanley Cup.

Edited by Triumph

I like the idea being expressed in this thread that NJ needs to get both younger and better, because look at what the Rangers are doing.  Yeah, that's real easy, you just get all the young players available on the free agent market, and boom, Stanley Cup.

the rangers did get younger - it just took them a while - steppan, kreider, mcdonaugh, hagelin - these are their young guys. but they drafted/traded for them. the devils also have plenty of youth - larsson, gelinas, merrill, henrique - they're just not the offensive leaders.

we've discussed, ad nauseum, that marty and shootouts cost this team the playoffs. one is quite hopefully being taking care of and the other hopefully just has regression to assist. what the devils need to try and find is someone who can score goals. its sounds simple and hard (that's what they need and it's not easy to find that). they tried last year with ryder - that's what he was brought in to do. he didn't do enough in that department and was dreadful in every other.

Edited by sundstrom

As much as I'd like to disagree... I can't. All signs point to Lou signing Brian Gionta and then adding a few utility playe

I can't help but think that the new owners know what's at stake. I'm sure they would have given Lou an ultimatum by now that the residual effects of Parise/Kovalchuk leaving better end on July 1st, or else. Attendance, ratings, and of course success all hinge on Lou getting a star or two on offense. For the first time in forever, an internal budget/cap ceiling isn't the major consideration Lou has to navigate around, he's kind of left to do his job and hopefully make some impactful deals. I won't be excited until those deals are made though.

Edited by DJ Eco

What signs Slasher? What signs point to anything Lou will or won't do. We never know what Lou will or won't do. I mean Kovalchuk's trade might've been the one thing people called a few days before it happened, was it Denis Potvin?

Rangers got younger, for sure. Sather did a good job. I hope his assistant leaves soon, as I have heard he's been a real key key in that organizational development in recent years. Jeff Gorton.

What I'd say is though, if the Rangers lose this cup, they may have a setback for a couple of seasons with young guys growing into bigger contracts, role players getting overpaid from other teams, and leaders like Nash, Lundqvist getting older.  They gave up a lot (and had to) to get Saint Louis, but he's getting up there. How many years does he have left at a high level. They do not have 1st rounders for 3 years straight and not a surplus of talented young guns coming into the line up.

There's a real fine line between moving forward, sideways and down in this league. GMs need to be steady, pounce on opportunities and every now and then, take the risks when you absolutely have to.

I agree with you that NY's window is extremely small. If they don't win this year or next year, you're looking at a few very long contracts weighing them down into the 2020s... A declining Henrik (after next year maybe), Nash/Richards (depending on who they buy out this July), even Dan Girardi's, who I don't think his level of play stays constant through 2020. And that's not even taking into account some of the kids who are fighting for a big contract next year and beyond, and the lack of first rounders. I don't think they're due for an Islanders-type regression but I do see them evening out a bit. This year and next year are Cup or bust in Rangerstown in my opinion. The MSL trade is kinda symbolic of Sather recognizing this 2-3 year window.

Edited by DJ Eco

iam not getting my hopes up at all what so ever.. i just dont think we will get any descent fa .. for example someone a lot of us would like to have stastny would be getting way too big of a pay day for lou to even be a bidder and i doubt he would even have any interest in coming here... be prepared for the gionta brothers..probably about as exciting as its going to get.

If Lou was prepared to pay/match big time for Zach(not that long ago and btw w/Kovy still in the fold), why is Stastny out of the question. Teams that are strong down the middle won't pay as much, but his dad (Peter) likes Lou. Gionta bros.? you might be right.  Brian w/ miles on him is a third liner these days. Hope Lou doesn't

If Lou was prepared to pay/match big time for Zach(not that long ago and btw w/Kovy still in the fold), why is Stastny out of the question. Teams that are strong down the middle won't pay as much, but his dad (Peter) likes Lou. Gionta bros.? you might be right.  Brian w/ miles on him is a third liner these days. Hope Lou doesn't

Did Lou ever confirmed he matched Minnesota's offer?  All I remember him saying is that he put in a "competative offer" which can be very subjective.  His could have been $10M apart from the Wild's offer and in his mind that would be "competative."

Did Lou ever confirmed he matched Minnesota's offer?  All I remember him saying is that he put in a "competative offer" which can be very subjective.  His could have been $10M apart from the Wild's offer and in his mind that would be "competative."

But even so, with an 8 year max term now allowed by the new CBA, a ±$7M overall cap hit that he might've offered to Parise is probably more than what it takes to get Stastny. Can't see us not being competitive to get a player like him, especially now that we actually have money.

Is he the answer to all our prayers? Who knows? I would sure hope so, but that's the kind of risk you take with every UFA. And guys like Vanek and Gaborik (especially) seem out of our league, price wise.

Getting a guy like Stastny, as well as one of Vrbata, Jokinen, or Moulson would constitute an extremely successful offseason for New Jersey, especially if Schneider is re-signed. Solid team and a good use of about the same money we were just paying Kovalchuk and Brodeur just a year ago.

Edited by DJ Eco

The Rangers signed two of the top college UDFAs and have a few guys that they just drafted in Buchenvich and Duclair who look like they might be something.  I'd hold off on the 'Rangers have a short window' talk, though certainly if they lose Stralman they'll be worse off.

Seeing the rangers make the cup makes me more upset about not making the playoffs. The east was terribly mediocre this year and the rangers made the most of their breaks. The only thing separating the devils and a 65 game season from Schneider from the rangers were a couple of goals

Seeing the rangers make the cup makes me more upset about not making the playoffs. The east was terribly mediocre this year and the rangers made the most of their breaks. The only thing separating the devils and a 65 game season from Schneider from the rangers were a couple of goals

Don't bother thinking of these things. The Bruins were a great team that got upset somehow, and I am not sure how you are racing through different scenarios in your head, but if you were thinking, 'Damn, NJ could have beat Montreal, for sure'...I'm not so sure of that, and the Devils getting in creates a different time continuum where the Bruins don't get eliminated and beat the sh!t out of everyone, Price doesn't get hurt, and the Pens finish off the Rangers.

NJ could have had some good things going for them, but when a team doesn't make the playoffs...and they weren't that close either, I wouldn't even bother worrying what they could have done in the playoffs.

Edited by devilsrule33

Don't bother thinking of these things. The Bruins were a great team that got upset somehow, and I am not sure how you are racing through different scenarios in your head, but if you were thinking, 'Damn, NJ could have beat Montreal, for sure'...I'm not so sure of that, and the Devils getting in creates a different time continuum where the Bruins don't get eliminated and beat the sh!t out of everyone, Price doesn't get hurt, and the Pens finish off the Rangers.

NJ could have had some good things going for them, but when a team doesn't make the playoffs...and they weren't that close either, I wouldn't even bother worrying what they could have done in the playoffs.

The Devils style of hockey fits the playoffs to a T. 2 goals a game against, a good Corsi number, top 10 special team units. If they could've squeezed a couple more goals out, played Brodeur significantly less, and won a couple shoot outs, I have little reason to believe the Devils couldn't be top in the East

I wonder if the Devils have enough to put together an offer for Jason Spezza. Dredger is saying Ottawa wants a High draft pick, NHL player, and a prospect. I'd rather Spezza than Thorton or Stastny.

Spezza gets paid a ton! As does JT, and we'd pay dearly to get them.   Stastny, wouldn't cost anything but his salary (which will be handsome) but not much more than Speza/thornton.

There's only 5 things you need to remember:

1. We are only a few players away from being back to contending for the Cup, so stop panicking.

2. Schneider will sign with us, and if Marty stays here we have a HOF goalie as a backup for the playoffs. Not many teams can boast that.

3. If Brian Gionta signs with us, Stephen will pick up his game (or his older bro will kick his arse)

4. Lou is the best GM in hockey and will have a plan to fix this team. So please stop trashing the man.  It's disrespectful.

5. Rangers Suck!

:rock:   GO DEVILS

It's kind of a shame he couldn't figure it out, with his size, he'd be really tough to play against and real asset.  In a perfect world, we could have gotten draft picks for him through trade, but I think it was mentioned before that he didn't have that much value.

There's only 5 things you need to remember:

1. We are only a few players away from being back to contending for the Cup, so stop panicking.

2. Schneider will sign with us, and if Marty stays here we have a HOF goalie as a backup for the playoffs. Not many teams can boast that.

3. If Brian Gionta signs with us, Stephen will pick up his game (or his older bro will kick his arse)

4. Lou is the best GM in hockey and will have a plan to fix this team. So please stop trashing the man.  It's disrespectful.

5. Rangers Suck!

:rock:   GO DEVILS

Easy my friend, put the Kool-aid down for a second.  This entire post is very unrealistic. Brian Gionta is not going make Stephen a better hockey player.  There is no guarantee that Schneider is going to come back although I do think its very likely.  It's not everyday that a starting goaltending position is handed to you on a silver platter.  There's only 30 available positions and I don't think Schneider is an idiot. 

@#4 - Lou is good, but he's not perfect.  Don't tell other fans that they're not allowed to have their own opinions.