The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

I'm down.  Even if Fayne walks, getting rid of one of Sal or Volch is what I would call moving forward, albeit fairly slowly.  That leaves us with

Greene-Zids
Larsson-Gelinas

Merril-Salvador/Volch

Harrold

That's not bad.  You have Greene, Larsson, Sal/Vol, Merril for the PK.  That PK unit looks a lot better with a Greene-Fayne pairing IMHO.  I guess carrying 8 defensemen with a re-signed Fayne isn't that big of a deal to me, it sucks, but we've been doing it for years now at this point.  I just want the D-corps to be settled so we can focus on the real issue.  The forwards.  The core and top 6 is pretty much set.  Clowe-Zajac-Jagr, Henrique-Elias-???  Brunner/Ryder <<

Edited by RizzMB30

I'm down. Even if Fayne walks, getting rid of one of Sal or Volch is what I would call moving forward, albeit fairly slowly. That leaves us with

Greene-Zids

Larsson-Gelinas

Merril-Salvador/Volch

Harrold

That's not bad. You have Greene, Larsson, Sal/Vol, Merril for the PK. That PK unit looks a lot better with a Greene-Fayne pairing IMHO. I guess carrying 8 defensemen with a re-signed Fayne isn't that big of a deal to me, it sucks, but we've been doing it for years now at this point. I just want the D-corps to be settled so we can focus on the real issue. The forwards. The core and top 6 is pretty much set. Clowe-Zajac-Jagr, Henrique-Elias-??? Brunner/Ryder <<

I could definitely see Fayne land in Pittsburgh. I dont see us getting into a bidding war over him. Lou could also surprise us and refuse to buy out Volchenkov. Then you just need to pray that he improves. Should be an interesting offseason.

The more I think about it, the more I see Thornton going to NYR. Stastny will probably resign with the Avs.

For our moves...hmm...the obvious choice is Brian Gionta but I'd also throw Vanek and Cammalleri in there too.

Edited by slasher72

I could easily see the Rangers making a run at Stastny before going after Thornton as a backup. 

I don't think so.  I don't think they will have the money for Stastny.  Thornton will have a lower salary, and the Rangers can theoretically send salary back to San Jose in the deal.  But Stastny is going to get 7M+ a year.

Edited by Triumph

I don't think so.  I don't think they will have the money for Stastny.  Thornton will have a lower salary, and the Rangers can theoretically send salary back to San Jose in the deal.  But Stastny is going to get 7M+ a year.

the same we would've paid Zach had he stayed!  (pretty sure Lou was prepared to pay)  

I could definitely see Fayne land in Pittsburgh. I dont see us getting into a bidding war over him. Lou could also surprise us and refuse to buy out Volchenkov. Then you just need to pray that he improves. Should be an interesting offseason.

The more I think about it, the more I see Thornton going to NYR. Stastny will probably resign with the Avs.

For our moves...hmm...the obvious choice is Brian Gionta but I'd also throw Vanek and Cammalleri in there too.

Pittsburgh? They already have too many dmen just like us. there's no way they'd sign Fayne

The closer we get to July, the more and more I think Rangers are gonna take a run at Stastny. Sather just cannot help himself, he will just have to be involved with the headline UFA of the summer. They freed up Richards and now they have a chance to get his direct replacement, who's only 28 years old. 

Granted, those signings are never smart for the Rangers, they have a lot of their own house cleaning to do with most of the team being UFA/RFA, but Sather can never ignore the big name UFA, hasn't in years.

Pittsburgh? They already have too many dmen just like us. there's no way they'd sign Fayne

My guesses on landing spots for Fayne are the Capitals (need some Defensive minded D at a fair price) or the Sharks (Larry Robinson and also need some DD).

Good, let the rags invest all that $$ on stastny. The truth is they need depth on the blue line, outside of mcdonaugh everyone else has a big fat question mark on them. They'll never learn that allocating half your cap to 5-6 players probably isn't the best way to go.

Per TG

I’ll have more later on the Devils’ other potential free agents. I am waiting to hear back from Lamoriello. Defenseman Mark Fayne’s agent, Peter Fish, said via email today that he has had contract discussions with the Devils and he expects them to continue during the draft this weekend in Philadelphia. Fayne is slated to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. - See more at: http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/fireice/comments/brodeur_nervous_excited_about_exploring_ufa_market_as_he_approaches_life_outside_devils_bubble/#sthash.SslzOwMo.dpuf

Has to be a sign of larger moves to come, but you never know until you know.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Daniel

Bring Fayne back Lou! Doo eeet.  At least it's very likely that there's talks being had.  I don't understand how Lou brings back Fayne AND Zids and then keeps both of Sal and Volch too.  That simply can't be the plan.  There has to be more news coming.  I don't think status quo is going to be the theme.