The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

I seriously want the Devils to look into Radim Vrbata. He can come here and play with his fellow countrymen and he isn't too old. I think he can be a 50-55 point winger with us.

Vrbata would be good. I'd prefer Jokinen or Michalek, but if Lou signed Vrbata and D. Roy I'd be happy.

I seriously want the Devils to look into Radim Vrbata. He can come here and play with his fellow countrymen and he isn't too old. I think he can be a 50-55 point winger with us.

I'd be happy with either Vrbata or Michalek.  Here's a really good article to look at when talking about this offseason's free agents.  I'd even be happy picking up Cammalleri or Jokinen as well.  The article shows that Vrbata, Cammalleri, and Jokinen at the top of those lists in terms of SOG and goal scoring rate.  I'd be so stoked to grab one or two of these guys.  Won't solve the offensive problems, but should definitely help.

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2014/6/25/5840694/window-shopping-how-much-offense-devils-free-agency-2014

None of these guys are appetizing to me other than Stastny. Really hoping for a significant trade. We have enough complimentary players

What assets do the Devils have to give up to acquire a big name?? You're okay giving up Henrique, Merril, and a first rounder in 2015?  Sacrificing what little youthful talent we have now is not the way to go.  Time and time again people demand a rebuild, but have no idea what that would entail.

What assets do the Devils have to give up to acquire a big name?? You're okay giving up Henrique, Merril, and a first rounder in 2015? Sacrificing what little youthful talent we have now is not the way to go. Time and time again people demand a rebuild, but have no idea what that would entail.

Nobody said anything about a "big name". I'm not saying a player is going to be cheap but we have more assets than anytime in the recent past. We have a surplus of defensive prospects and it would not shock me to see a trade stemming from that.

The free agent market is almost all complimentary players who are going to do very little here as we have a team full of them already

The best move for the Devils is to wait in FA and see if any values pop up after the initial frenzy. Otherwise the trade market is the way to go the next year or two in terms of supplementing a young talented forward in perhaps.

Vrbata and Michalek would be a pretty decent UFA period for us. Can't help but think they're options 2 & 3 for many teams going for the bigger moves, so if Lou goes into July 1st conceding defeat on guys like Stastny/Vanek/Moulson, he can get a Vrbata, Michalek, or Grabovski before there's a frenzy to grab them in the days after July 1st/2nd.

Vrbata and Michalek would be a pretty decent UFA period for us. Can't help but think they're options 2 & 3 for many teams going for the bigger moves, so if Lou goes into July 1st conceding defeat on guys like Stastny/Vanek/Moulson, he can get a Vrbata, Michalek, or Grabovski before there's a frenzy to grab them in the days after July 1st/2nd.

They will be in high demand even as second tier targets by teams that don't want or can't afford the top tier. Plus all those guys are not significant upgrades over Ryder or some of our other forwards. They are yet again short term fill ins.

They will be in high demand even as second tier targets by teams that don't want or can't afford the top tier. Plus all those guys are not significant upgrades over Ryder or some of our other forwards. They are yet again short term fill ins.

They're both significant upgrades over Ryder considering they are both two way forwards.

• Like 1

You should read the article I posted from In Lou We Trust.  Those players are significant play drivers and can put the puck in the net AND play defense.  Second tier guys? Yeah okay.  Out of those three qualities, Ryder has one and he didn't even perform that role very well. 

You should read the article I posted from In Lou We Trust. Those players are significant play drivers and can put the puck in the net AND play defense. Second tier guys? Yeah okay. Out of those three qualities, Ryder has one and he didn't even perform that role very well.

Vrbata doesn't really play defense. Tippett kind of accepts his limitations. Grabovski plays center and is redundant fit with Ruutu here. Ryder would have to be moved to make room for either Michalek or Vrbata.

Vrbata doesn't really play defense. Tippett kind of accepts his limitations. Grabovski plays center and is redundant fit with Ruutu here. Ryder would have to be moved to make room for either Michalek or Vrbata.

How is Grabovski a redundant fit with Ruutu here?  Ruutu doesn't really play center - he can play it, but not well - and they play totally different games.

Edited by Triumph

How is Grabovski a redundant fit with Ruutu here? Ruutu doesn't really play center - he can play it, but not well - and they play totally different games.

He's not coming here to be a 3rd line center. Ruutu may not play center well but he or Zubrus will get the third line duties if needed.

Speaking of left wings there are rumors out of Montreal that Pacioretty might be available. Interesting but if true we won't have the pieces to get him.

They would ask for Larsson and Matteau.