The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

be careful what you wish for - i could see plenty of growing pains and a drop in the effectiveness of the PK.

This group will be very strong 5 on 5 playing behind our system. Will the PK lose some effectiveness? Maybe a little.

I will not miss Volchenkovs passing abilities, or lack there of.

Edited by Zubie#8

The PK is going to drop in effectiveness but Volchenkov was certainly a drag on shots for 5 on 5.  And it's not like NJ didn't see plenty of those 3 young D last year.  I think they're going to look into someone else, maybe only on a one year deal though.  Another thing they could do is trade one of the young D for an older D who carries some salary + a forward (who may or may not carry salary).

Edited by Triumph

Lamoriello: Devils made Fayne "a good offer" & still want him back, but "might not be able to compete with the numbers that are out there."

From TG. This sounds oh too familiar.

Think Fayne's a goner unfortunately.

Just don't go to the Rangers Fayner.

Lamoriello: Devils made Fayne "a good offer" & still want him back, but "might not be able to compete with the numbers that are out there."

From TG. This sounds oh too familiar.

Think Fayne's a goner unfortunately.

I wouldn't be surprised, Fayne will get some serious offers from several teams. I can see a team like Edmonton offering well over market price just to get a solid dman there for a long term. 5 years x 5 million is possible, and if that's what he gets honestly ill be fine if he does go. He's a nice piece to have at half that price or term, but we hopefully have guys in the org that we'll need spots for in the coming years, and you can't keep everybody.

5m a year for Fayne is stupid money. Good for him if he can get it but we aren't in a pressing spot to sign him. Resigning Greene to an extension would be ideal though.

I wouldn't be surprised, Fayne will get some serious offers from several teams. I can see a team like Edmonton offering well over market price just to get a solid dman there for a long term. 5 years x 5 million is possible, and if that's what he gets honestly ill be fine if he does go. He's a nice piece to have at half that price or term, but we hopefully have guys in the org that we'll need spots for in the coming years, and you can't keep everybody.

The most I'd give him is 3/11. We have an overflow of young cheap d. No need to break the bank on a guy like Fayne, who while good, isn't anything special. I think he could get as much as $4.5M per on the open market. Hopefully he doesn't go across the river.

The most I'd give him is 3/11. We have an overflow of young cheap d. No need to break the bank on a guy like Fayne, who while good, isn't anything special. I think he could get as much as $4.5M per on the open market. Hopefully he doesn't go across the river.

Some team will pay a premium that has lots of holes and needs defense right away. That's why the market is sometimes really relative and subjective than absolute. Quite a few teams even decent ones have some holes in their defensive corps. While we'd love to bring Fayne back we have some depth and quite a few prospects coming. As Tri alluded to you can find a Fayne type once the frenzy dies down to play on the back end.

It's how you allocate your money. A team like Edmonton needs to and can splurge on Fayne because they have no hope for spending money on a quality goalie. That's why when teams say they have cap space it's all relative. Now our forward situation well that's a bit messy now and moving forward.

I think we missed this article from Chere. A lot of promising quotes from Lou. No need to overeact but it's better than nothing

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/06/devils_buyout_of_anton_volchenkov_gives_them_chance_to_sign_a_free_agent_forward.html

I'm pumped.  Good find.  It could be anyone. Actually it's probably Gionta.  :glare:   But seriously, I'm hoping for Vrbata or Michalek, maybe :pray: plus Sekac, I call that not a terrible offseason.  A great offseason after that would be Fayne resigning, but I'm not holding my breath because he's probably going to be overpaid.  

no comment on brodeur...hmm

Because I think he has put Brodeur behind him, unless Marty can't find a job elsewhere.  He's ignoring the question because he's already made his statements on that topic.

Edited by RizzMB30

Lamoriello said he hopes to keep fourth-line forwards Ryan Carter, Steve Bernier and Stephen Gionta.

"Nothing has been done yet. We certainly would like to retain them," the GM said. "We just have to see where the prices are."

I think we missed this article from Chere. A lot of promising quotes from Lou. No need to overeact but it's better than nothing

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2014/06/devils_buyout_of_anton_volchenkov_gives_them_chance_to_sign_a_free_agent_forward.html

I'm just curious, what does it mean that we gave Tedenby and Urbom qualifying offers? Does this mean we've qualified them as RFAs, thus retaining their rights? But don't have to literally pay them considering they're playing elsewhere?

I'm just curious, what does it mean that we gave Tedenby and Urbom qualifying offers? Does this mean we've qualified them as RFAs, thus retaining their rights? But don't have to literally pay them considering they're playing elsewhere?

Yes, you're correct in both thoughts.

I don't get it, why are Urbom and Tedenby playing overseas next year?   Tedenby baffles me the most considering this guy's been in the organization for quite a while now and still hasn't made the big club.  Either sh!t or get off the pot.

I don't get it, why are Urbom and Tedenby playing overseas next year?   Tedenby baffles me the most considering this guy's been in the organization for quite a while now and still hasn't made the big club.  Either sh!t or get off the pot.

they both got off the pot because they're sh!t in the NHL.

Because we have guys who are further ahead on the depth chart than Urbom and Tedenby is a suck-ass bust.