The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

I used to really be a Greene hater when he first came aboard and I've said this a thousand times, but he absolutely won me over with his play. A true Devil and a great leader on the ice. Eats big, tough minutes and seems to only get better every year. Hoping he can build on the year he had last year and put up nice offensive numbers again. Getting decent offense from our D again this year will be big in helping us make the playoffs.

This sums it up for me. I couldn't stand Greene when he first came up, I thought he sucked something awful. But he slowly won me over to the point where he's now one of my favorite Devils, and I'm his biggest supporter for wearing the C. He's a very important part of this team's mid-range future.

This sums it up for me. I couldn't stand Greene when he first came up, I thought he sucked something awful. But he slowly won me over to the point where he's now one of my favorite Devils, and I'm his biggest supporter for wearing the C. He's a very important part of this team's mid-range future.

Add me to this list. I thought he was terrible when he first made the team. Now I hope Larsson can grow to take the big consistent minutes like he can.

Some food for thought: was scanning HF and a Vancouver fan over there said one of their local beat guys (from The Province I think) was on their sports talk station out there last week and said they we had a deal with them for Alex Burrows, but Burrows wouldn't waive his NTC to come here. Maybe it was for Volch? I wonder who may have been headed back the other way if this is true... Anyway, discussion for another slow news day.

I want to see Greene wearing the C.  He's one of those undrafted guys that really impressed the team.  I'd be overjoyed once he's wearing the 'C' on his sweater.  He had a pretty great year on the offensive side of the puck this year, not to mention he can shut-down the other teams best players.  In a division that boasts Giroux, Malkin, Crosby, Nash, Tavares, E. Staal, Ovechkin, Backstrom.  Those players are superstars.  Greene is in his prime and I wouldn't mind seeing him back here at 4 or 5 years of 4 million AAV, MAYBE a little more.  Greene has never given Lou a problem before when it has come to contracts, so I could even see him taking a discount.  

My range of emotions over Greene's career was eerily similar to how I had begun to feel about Mark Fayne. I'm still upset Fayne won't be on our roster next season, he was really picking up steam.

I want Elias to wear the 'C'. I'm still bitter about him losing it; that was fvcked up.

So is he, which is why he's hinted as much before to say he doesn't want to be C again.

Greene will be 33 the start of the season any extension kicks in. I wouldn't give him more than a 3 or 4 yr deal tops depending on AAV. He's been really good the last two years but he was pretty horrible a couple seasons too here. Overall he's an acceptable top pairing defender or a pretty good 2nd pairing guy at this point.

He'd be a nice bridge guy for the young guys to learn from and he can eat up some difficult minutes the next couple seasons. But I don't want us giving a 5 or 6 year deal and having another Salvador like anchor at the end of that deal.

I've read Lou quotes saying that he'd love to keep a guy, only to see that player walk away.  I'm not knocking Lou for losing players...it happens, and the fans who tend to do it the most usually ignore the guys he kept.  But I'm definitely in the "let me see it happen" camp before I start feeling too good about Schneider sticking around...it wouldn't surprise me that much to read something along the lines of "We've stopped talking for now, but we'll revisit this either during or after the season."  And as long as MAF isn't re-upped in Pittsburgh, I'll still wonder about a possible Schneider going there and him coming here scenario after during the 2015 FA period.  Hopefully that NEVER comes to pass. 

The way Lou is talking is different than how he's talked in these situations when he ends up losing the player.  I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a Schneider extension in the coming days.

Greene will be 33 the start of the season any extension kicks in. I wouldn't give him more than a 3 or 4 yr deal tops depending on AAV. He's been really good the last two years but he was pretty horrible a couple seasons too here. Overall he's an acceptable top pairing defender or a pretty good 2nd pairing guy at this point.

He'd be a nice bridge guy for the young guys to learn from and he can eat up some difficult minutes the next couple seasons. But I don't want us giving a 5 or 6 year deal and having another Salvador like anchor at the end of that deal.

4/20 would be a perfect deal assuming he plays like he did last year, might even go to 4/22. If there's a drop off in his offensive numbers, which have been inconsistent over his career, then I'd prefer something more like 4/18.

The way Lou is talking is different than how he's talked in these situations when he ends up losing the player.  I'd be very surprised if we didn't see a Schneider extension in the coming days.

Seriously, can't see there being any snag in the contract negotiations beyond a limited NTC or something even smaller than that. His confidence and honesty in this particular deal makes it sound like money and year-term are locked in.

Seriously, can't see there being any snag in the contract negotiations beyond a limited NTC or something even smaller than that. His confidence and honesty in this particular deal makes it sound like money and year-term are locked in.

Maybe he is waiting until Brodeur signs somewhere else...

Wyshinski says the Schneider contract will be close to 7/42. I like that a lot if true

6 per seems fair considering that's what Corey Crawford and Jimmy Howard are at. I think he's better then both of them and looking at the market 6 is right where he should be while 7 is that high end (ignoring the cupless wonder at the other side of the Hudson) its fair

Edited by roomtemp

You're joking....Can we please drop the idea of Brodeur and his ego.  This kind of comment is the reason his ego is considered so big.  Ego's are inflated by other people building them up.  The Brodeur comments are BEYOND redundant at this point.  Lou has already made his comments on the issue and he has moved on, as is evident by the Clemmenson signing, as well as Lou's comments explaining that signing as a just in case Kinkaid doesn't play as expected.  Does Lou have to sign ANOTHER goalie so people would shut the hell up about Marty.  Can we, as a fanbase, just move the fvck on?  If the GM, who has a phenomenal relationship with the guy has moved on, maybe it's time for the fanbase to move on to.  Honor the legacy.  Love the guy for his contributions.  MOVE ON

That being said:  I'd love to have Schneider at 6m cap hit for 7 years.  It's not Rask or Lundquist money, but I think it's a great deal for us in terms of the money.  If he gives us 7 good years, maybe we give him another chance at 2 or 3 years.  

Edited by RizzMB30
  • Like 1

Awesome. IMO he's our new captain starting next year.

Psh I wish.  The 'C' is Salvador's until someone snatches it from his contract-less body.

In other news:

Cory Schneider will break bank with new contract

Looking good.  Man will that be a huge relief if he happens.  6m per hardly seems like breaking the bank to me.

Edit:

Wyshinski says the Schneider contract will be close to 7/42. I like that a lot if true

Beaten to it, whoops.  My bad all.

Edited by Devilsfan118

Psh I wish.  The 'C' is Salvador's until someone snatches it from his contract-less body.

In other news:Cory Schneider will break bank with new contract

Looking good.  Man will that be a huge relief if he happens.  6m per hardly seems like breaking the bank to me.

Edit:

Beaten to it, whoops.  My bad all.

Yeah after I re-read that I realized I should have said after next year he should get the C. I was considering this upcoming season to be the current one with next year being 2015/16.

I really hope Cory's a little more secure than that, particularly if he's getting a big-money long-term contract when he hasn't had a full season under his belt yet.  Besides, if they wanted to sign Marty he'd be back already and they wouldn't have wasted a spot on Clemmensen when they already have two AHL goalies.  They didn't sign any of the other decent backups either.

And honestly signing an extension a week or two after they can officially start talking would be rather quick.  How often has that really happened?  I get there's an urgency behind the Cory deal but still, they have three months before Lou's unofficial deadline.

Yeah, $6m/7 years is hardly "breaking the bank" in this day and age, for a 28 year old potential (if not, very close to it now) elite goaltender...

Money very well spent, and Lou knows this. I was expecting (and would've been fine with) even more money/term.

Yeah, $6m/7 years is hardly "breaking the bank" in this day and age, for a 28 year old potential (if not, very close to it now) elite goaltender...

Money very well spent, and Lou knows this. I was expecting (and would've been fine with) even more money/term.

We still don't know if any of the above is true (though if it is, yeah, I think it's a fair deal for sure...a mild gamble maybe, but one I'd be willing to make). 

"We are pleased to announce that we have signed Tedenby to a 4-year contract.  His speed, skill and familiarity with the Devils organization are values we place a high emphasis on.  His addition to the lineup will coach Pete more options on the wings for the upcoming season."

Edited by DevsMan84