The 2014 NJ Devils Offseason Thread

Derlique

"We are pleased to announce that we have signed Tedenby to a 4-year contract.  His speed, skill and familiarity with the Devils organization are values we place a high emphasis on.  His addition to the lineup will coach Pete more options on the wings for the upcoming season."

i would vomit all over myself

Exercise in futility - what would it take to get Evander Kane? I realize many are opposed to the idea in general, but what do we think Jets would want back? I reckon a good roster player at least (ie, someone of actual value).

Does Henrique+Ryder+Prospect or Pick get it done?

Probably start with Henrique, throw in one of the young D, another roster player and next year's 1st.

So..pass. I'd love Ekane on the Devils but it ain't happening.

Exercise in futility - what would it take to get Evander Kane?  I realize many are opposed to the idea in general, but what do we think Jets would want back?  I reckon a good roster player at least (ie, someone of actual value).

Does Henrique+Ryder+Prospect or Pick get it done?

Henrique, 2015 1st, Gelinas/Larsson, and a veteran (Jagr, Ryder, Brunner).  It just doesn't make sense to make a trade like that to blow up this team.  If Winnipeg is forced into a move by Kane not re-signing when he has one year left on his deal, that's when teams can give up a little less for him, but not much less really.   

A headcase who's never approached a PPG pace, and no long term contract? I don't see Kane being THAT valuable. Larsson, Ryder, 1st, and forward prospect of their choice would be a pretty damn good package for them to consider. Asking for Henrique is madness, as Kane is not better enough to trade 3 significant other pieces compared to Henrique

Lou keeps talking about wanting Carter back, and the feeling seems mutual. It be weird for the Devils to trade a forward to clear room for Carter, Really hoping that isn't the case.

No clue what happened there. Maybe Carter's agent overvalued his client, thus avoiding a signing in day 1 with the Devils, and now they are stuck waiting.

Edited by devilsrule33

as much as i would like to have carter back.. especially over the other 2 fourth liners.. i hope lou does not give him anything more than what he is worth to this team just to bring him back here..he is still a fourth liner and should be paid like one

Lou keeps talking about wanting Carter back, and the feeling seems mutual. It be weird for the Devils to trade a forward to clear room for Carter, Really hoping that isn't the case.

No clue what happened there. Maybe Carter's agent overvalued his client, thus avoiding a signing in day 1 with the Devils, and now they are stuck waiting.

I think that's what they are doing.  While it's not a very good move, it will save money.  I'd like to get Gelinas signed to a 3 year deal if that does happen.

zajac doesnt have a ntc?

Yeah looks like he does. I know he likes it here and I doubt Lou would ever ask him to waive it which is cool with me because I like people who like to play here.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

Henrique, 2015 1st, Gelinas/Larsson, and a veteran (Jagr, Ryder, Brunner).  It just doesn't make sense to make a trade like that to blow up this team.  If Winnipeg is forced into a move by Kane not re-signing when he has one year left on his deal, that's when teams can give up a little less for him, but not much less really.   

The one deal that was rumored by someone half-way credible was Marchand for Kane.  The package you suggest would be absolute lunacy.  We'd be giving up a lot more than Dallas gave up for a much better player in Seguin.  And Boston has basically got lucky in that deal as Reilly Smith was something of a throw-in at the time. 

Edited by Daniel

I think that's what they are doing.  While it's not a very good move, it will save money.  I'd like to get Gelinas signed to a 3 year deal if that does happen.

I just hate a situation where an offensive player or two gets hurt and instead of sliding a Ryder or a Brunner in there you now move up Bernier or Zubrus.

I also really hate the idea of CBGB reuniting and then having Zubrus playing 3rd line or better minutes all season.

I just hate a situation where an offensive player or two gets hurt and instead of sliding a Ryder or a Brunner in there you now move up Bernier or Zubrus.

I also really hate the idea of CBGB reuniting and then having Zubrus playing 3rd line or better minutes all season.

I think it's nuts to assume that the opening day lineup, barring injuries, would have a guy like Brunner or Ryder (or Havlat) scratched.  But that's what it would have - they're not going to play one of those guys on the 4th line.  Even now assuming everyone makes it through camp healthy and with one guy dealt, NJ still has these forwards:  Cammalleri, Zajac, Jagr, Ruutu, Elias, Havlat, Clowe, Henrique, Ryder/Brunner, Zubrus, Carter, Gionta, Bernier, Josefson - that's still one too many.  It might mean Bernier as a healthy scratch.

Edited by Triumph

I think it's nuts to assume that the opening day lineup, barring injuries, would have a guy like Brunner or Ryder (or Havlat) scratched.  But that's what it would have - they're not going to play one of those guys on the 4th line.  Even now assuming everyone makes it through camp healthy and with one guy dealt, NJ still has these forwards:  Cammalleri, Zajac, Jagr, Ruutu, Elias, Havlat, Clowe, Henrique, Ryder/Brunner, Zubrus, Carter, Gionta, Bernier, Josefson - that's still one too many.  It might mean Bernier as a healthy scratch.

So assuming one of Ryder or Brunner is gone, you think Josefson will actually see some ice time this year?  I really really want it and think he's ready, but I didn't think you were very high on Jajo

The one deal that was rumored by someone half-way credible was Marchand for Kane.  The package you suggest would be absolute lunacy.  We'd be giving up a lot more than Dallas gave up for a much better player in Seguin.  And Boston has basically got lucky in that deal as Reilly Smith was something of a throw-in at the time. 

It's not about Seguins value is in comparison, it's about what Winnipeg would accept. For a key part of their franchise.  Winnipeg doesn't have players like Beregeron and Krejci, Lucic to fall back on.  

The one deal that was rumored by someone half-way credible was Marchand for Kane. The package you suggest would be absolute lunacy. We'd be giving up a lot more than Dallas gave up for a much better player in Seguin. And Boston has basically got lucky in that deal as Reilly Smith was something of a throw-in at the time.

IMO the bobby Ryan deal is a good comparable. Two good (although not top-flight) prospects and a first.

If henrique is even mentioned as a starting point in a potential trade for Kane I hangup. Honestly I probably wouldn't make that trade straight up.

Edited by dmann422

It's not about Seguins value is in comparison, it's about what Winnipeg would accept. For a key part of their franchise.  Winnipeg doesn't have players like Beregeron and Krejci, Lucic to fall back on.  

If Winnipeg wants more of a return for Kane, then they're not going to find a trade partner.  The only thing that changes that is if Kane has a monster year, but at that point, Winnipeg probably won't trade him anyway.

No way I part with Gelinas. Zids is probably gone after this coming season and we need a good power play QB. Plus his shot is a real bonus.

Agree. We should wait and see how good Severson is gonna be in the nhl before we get rid of any offense from the back. Even if he turns out to be good we can still have two offensively gifted d men like when we had Nieds and Ralfi.

Edited by Jerzey Devil

No way I part with Gelinas. Zids is probably gone after this coming season and we need a good power play QB. Plus his shot is a real bonus.

Gelinas is no PP QB. His shot is a rocket for sure, but he isn't the kind of player who is going to run the PP from the point, imo. You'll need an Elias type to distribute from the half boards and feed Gelinas the puck at the point. I'd send him in a trade only because he probably has the most value around the league due to his point total from last year. I think between Larsson and Merrill, they'll provide decent offense from the back end and I think they're more likely to be solid NHLers than Gelinas is. Gelinas to me could either be a top end PMD or could be nothing more than a hard shot that gets limited time 5v5 and is used mostly on the PP.

Gelinas is no PP QB. His shot is a rocket for sure, but he isn't the kind of player who is going to run the PP from the point, imo. You'll need an Elias type to distribute from the half boards and feed Gelinas the puck at the point. I'd send him in a trade only because he probably has the most value around the league due to his point total from last year. I think between Larsson and Merrill, they'll provide decent offense from the back end and I think they're more likely to be solid NHLers than Gelinas is. Gelinas to me could either be a top end PMD or could be nothing more than a hard shot that gets limited time 5v5 and is used mostly on the PP.

Except you don't mention that he still has plenty of time to develop and probably has the best offensive upside of any defenseman on the team. I'm not giving up Gelinas for someone who has potential to be a top guy on a better team. Sorry, Kane's numbers and play isn't worth what you're offering.

I disagree.  He may not have the passing ability of a PP QB, but you can't say he's no PP QB and then say he could be a PMD.  The PP QB has to have the skating ability to get the puck up ice quickly.  He has the skating ability to be that guy and the shot.  Gelinas will be an NHLer as long as he figures out the defensive side of the game.  He's a big body, will play physical, he's everything you want from a defenseman, but you know, without the solid, reliable defense.  Even if he can get to Zidlicky's level of awareness, he'll be fine.  Zidlicky has had a pretty long and pretty successful career.  

IMO the bobby Ryan deal is a good comparable. Two good (although not top-flight) prospects and a first.

If henrique is even mentioned as a starting point in a potential trade for Kane I hangup. Honestly I probably wouldn't make that trade straight up.

You wouldn't trade Henrique for EKane straight up??  That's surprising.  EKane is a pure talent who has the near term potential of being a superstar.  He hits a lot.  Shoots a lot.  Is a fun player to watch.  Henrique is a potential 30 goal scorer, but he's nowhere near as dynamic or talented a player as EKane.  I think any discussion would indeed involve a player like Henrique.  I disagree that it would take Henrique + Ryder + Young D + 1st.  That's not realistic based on the fact Kane seems to want out and Jets need to do something.  I think Henrique + Ryder + 1st gets it done without a D for sure, and I think it's also possible Henrique + Ryder + high 2nd gets it done.  Granted, all with the caveat that it's highly unlikely NJ is even looking at him.