2015 New York Jets thread

NJDevs4978

Wouldn't shock me if he chooses Baltimore over us, but Idzik MUST be aggressive and go all out to get Bailey. Yes he's old, yes his skills have eroded somewhat. But he is a cagey vet who can still play the position competently. And he's better than anyone we've got. Idzik can't move at a glacial pace here. The Jets are desperate and he needs to act it.

As for Hill...I may have given him another year to prove his worth, but he's had so much trouble holding on to the damn ball and frankly has been outplayed by Salas. No tears for his departure. They have given him 2 full seasons and he's been nothing more than injury prone and unreliable

Jets have picked up Leon McFadden who was cut from the Browns. McFadden was 3rd round pick last season but they gave up on him early.

Also Matt Simms has been added to the practice squad, which is good. Looks like the Jets will be dressing 2qb's all year, which I like since it opens up another roster spot for a special teamer or secondary player.

Tajh Boyd also cut. Good riddance.

Edited by '7'

Jets have picked up Leon McFadden who was cut from the Browns. McFadden was 3rd round pick last season but they gave up on him.

He was really more of a fringe 2nd rounder.. borderline anyway, having been selected only 3 picks into the 3rd round. I'm cautiously optimistic about signing McFadden. The Browns message boards seem to be blindsided with how an organization can cut a 23 year old player, who they literally just drafted last season. He played all 16 games, so durability shouldn't be an issue.

Leon's raw, very raw.. and if Rex can polish his skills somewhat, this could be a quality 2nd string CB for the Jets.

Jets release Ellis Lankster, a solid 2nd string CB for Gang Green since 2011. He's played 40 games with the Jets.. is one of Rex's favorite DB's.. and versitle enough to contribute heavily in special teams..

..have no idea wtf Idzik is doing anymore, I really don't.

Jets release Ellis Lankster, a solid 2nd string CB for Gang Green since 2011. He's played 40 games with the Jets.. is one of Rex's favorite DB's.. and versitle enough to contribute heavily in special teams..

..have no idea wtf Idzik is doing anymore, I really don't.

Yea I don't get this either. Lankster was good on special teams and fine in select coverage roles. They ended up signing A.J. Edds (who to his credit was good in the preseason, but is a LB)  They also signed Phillip Adams (cb) as another patchwork guy

I hope Lankster finds himself back on the team somehow

Yea I don't get this either. Lankster was good on special teams and fine in select coverage roles. They ended up signing A.J. Edds (who to his credit was good in the preseason, but is a LB) They also signed Phillip Adams (cb) as another patchwork guy.

..it's insane, and it begs the question of a plot against Ryan.

The media is stunned over EL being shown the door. They're eating Idzik alive, and rightfully so..

https://mobile.twitter.com/RichCimini/status/506591778695561217

https://mobile.twitter.com/SethWalderNYDN/status/506591466161184768

If it's individual talent that the Jets are looking for, then you go out and sign a guy like Asante Samuel or Q. Jammer.. not a guy like McFadden. If it's chemistry that you want.. then you don't sign Philip Adams over Lankster. Lankster knew the system, and now he's gone for Week 1, just like Milliner is out for Week 1. In fact, of the 5 remaining CB's left on the roster.. only Walls & Wilson will have the experience of playing through the preseason and training-camp with the Jets, when we play the Raiders in Week 1. That is absolutely unacceptable.

I know this may sound crazy, but I genuinely feel Idzik is in trouble if the Jets suck because of a lack of secondary this season. I said the same thing about Mike T, and I was right. Idzik's swing and misses on free agents are bad enough. But his UFA signings like Goodson, Winslow, Gerrard, Peterson.. REALLY make you scratch your head. He might be a good cap guy, but his talent evaluation is suspect. And if the end game in all of this is to hire his own HC.. you have to be more discreet about it. You can't make a set-up as obvious as he's making it by starving your Head Coach of CB's. Woody loves Rex with all his heart. If he smells sabotage, he'll pink slip Johnny boy much sooner than Ryan.

Cimino's quote (the first link):

Lankster actually started at CB in the second preseason game. Thought he did a decent job. The CB situation in utter chaos.

Walder's quote (the second link):

Jets needed ILB help, but I'm surprised it's Lankster that was cut.

The first guy says the CB situation is a mess, the second one is surprised that Lankster was cut.  Not one direct mention of Idzik in either post, so how exactly is he "being eaten alive"?  That statement isn't accurate at all.

He may be back on the team anyway...stranger things have happened.

Cimino's quote (the first link):

Lankster actually started at CB in the second preseason game. Thought he did a decent job. The CB situation in utter chaos.

Walder's quote (the second link):

Jets needed ILB help, but I'm surprised it's Lankster that was cut.

The first guy says the CB situation is a mess, the second one is surprised that Lankster was cut.  Not one direct mention of Idzik in either post, so how exactly is he "being eaten alive"?  That statement isn't accurate at all.

John Idzik is getting EATEN ALIVE by every single one of the Jets beat writers in NY & NJ. --period!

..that is not an inaccurate statement, that is dead-on-balls how it is.. and for you to even question that, shows that you don't read the Jets boards, post on Jets forums, follow Jets media on twitter.. or watch\listen\read\etc. anything media related regarding the Jets. Whether it's Manish Mehta, Seth Walder, Gary Myers, Brian Costello, Rich Cimini, Peter Schwartz, Christopher Nimbley, every single show on WFAN.. anyone and everyone with a pen & paper following the Jets.. they've utterly destroyed Idzik's approach on the CB situation this season. (some even calling for him to be fired) --and any Jets fan can tell you that.

I posted the 2 links off the basis of Ellis Lankster (the topic at hand) to showcase how the release left the media bewildered. My comment on Idzik getting killed in the media, didn't need to be followed with any links\sources, because every Jets fan already knows that. Had I posted every tweet criticizing Idzik on the secondary, I'd already be 600 deep, with about 200 that I may have missed.

John Idzik is getting EATEN ALIVE by every single one of the Jets beat writers in NY & NJ. --period!

..that is not an inaccurate statement, that is dead-on-balls how it is.. and for you to even question that, shows that you don't read the Jets boards, post on Jets forums, follow Jets media on twitter.. or watch\listen\read\etc. anything media related regarding the Jets. Whether it's Manish Mehta, Seth Walder, Gary Myers, Brian Costello, Rich Cimini, Peter Schwartz, Christopher Nimbley, every single show on WFAN.. anyone and everyone with a pen & paper following the Jets.. they've utterly destroyed Idzik's approach on the CB situation this season. (some even calling for him to be fired) --and any Jets fan can tell you that.

I posted the 2 links off the basis of Ellis Lankster (the topic at hand) to showcase how the release left the media bewildered. My comment on Idzik getting killed in the media, didn't need to be followed with any links\sources, because every Jets fan already knows that. Had I posted every tweet criticizing Idzik on the secondary, I'd already be 600 deep, with about 200 that I may have missed.

The two links you posted didn't support your "eaten alive" point, and that's all I was saying.  Maybe you should post links to articles or media statements that better support your point that he's being eaten alive.  I'm not saying such articles and statements don't exist, I'm saying the two links you provided just weren't very good examples of that.  But yeah, I've heard Joe and Evan's opinion of Idzik, and suffice it to say it's not glowing.     

This game was 30-3 Jets masquerading as 19-14

- Geno as a pure drop-back passer was tremendous today. Made great reads, threw some gorgeous passes with plenty of zip, hit receivers in stride. Great job. The one pick was a spectacular play by a future Hall of Famer in Woodson. Whatever, he's still young and that sh!t will happen from time to time

-MM too damn cutesy in the red zone! You don't become a mad scientist when the team is inside the 5. Flea flickers with Vick, Geno with read option BS. On one of the option plays he fumbled but his knee was clearly down before the ball came out, for some reason the ball was handed to Oakland anyway. Which brings me to...

-REFS. Atrocious job by the rookie ref. Now granted some of the stuff was on us an inexcusable. Personal foul on Pace. Jumping offsides. But there were some idiotic offensive pass interferences called on Decker which just flat out did not happen. As well as a personal foul on Colon (and I know he is a walking penalty flag) that I didn't even see and they didn't replay. Lots of questionable calls...plus our defensive line was held all day and nothing was called on Oakland all game

-Another pet peeve with Geno. Please do not take 20 yard sacks to knock us out of field goal range

-Cumberland was a good receiving threat all day. Was a nice security blanket for Geno

-They started with Johnson and finished with Ivory. Lightning and thunder. Softened the Raiders up and finished them.

- Jets TACKLING was flat out better. Raiders tried to set up nifty screes...all shut down at the line. Raiders couldn't break a big play all game...we brought them down at first contact. Jones-Drew did nothing

-Jets corners were fine today. Can't blame Walls on that late TD to Jones because that catch was absolutely spectacular and fluke-ish.

Edited by '7'

nfl_u_tony-sparano_mb_600.jpg

400 yrds of offense.. holding Oakland to only 150 yrds (25 rushing) and we were FAR from playing our best football. The Jets were flagged 100x.. literally dropped 4 interceptions.. and I didn't particularly like the play calling of MM's either. He got too cute on a few different spots when he should have played it safe. Notwithstanding, we dominated this game. The scoreboard made it look close.. but the fact is, this game should've ended 33-7. I didn't like the fact that Colon was flagged 3 times, or the 4 plays that Marty chose for Vick.. but meh, I'll take whatever victory I can get at this point.

A few other observations from the game..

• CJ2K: 100 total yrds (rushing & receiving) and he looks like he's out to prove something. Let's see where this season takes him.

• AA’s tackling. I'm not going to throw a party over Allens performance against Oakland, however.. the guy can tackle.

• JETlife: The Jets have now won 8 of their last 10 home games. I especially liked the all white look, and the white-out from the fans.

• Offensive Line. Geno had all day to make his throws. They held their own against a quality front-seven. Good sign.

• Jeremy Kerley. He had only 5 receptions yesterday, but they were all on 2nd or 3rd, for 1st downs. Want to know why the running game was so damn good? Go back and rewatch the game. Kerley can block as good as anyone in the league. He's the most timely dependable player this team has had since Cotchery. The amount of poise he brings to each game is aw-inspiring as a fan. He never takes a play off.. ever. Since last season, the Jets are 9-5 with Kerley in the lineup, and it's no wonder as to why.

Looking ahead. House Money here folks! The Jets are playing with house money for Week 2. We're fighting a pissed off Packers team.. in Green Bay.. with 2 extra days rest\prep.. and an angry Rodgers coming off a week where he threw for only 180 yrds in Seattle. We are not supposed to win this game. The pressure is entirely on Green Bay to not fall 0-2 to start their season, in front of the Lambeau faithful. It's a win-win for the Jets. If we lose, no big deal. We're exactly where we thought we'd be @ 1-1, with ¾ of the following games on home-field. If we somehow.. by some miracle, sneak out of Green Bay with a ‘W, then we're 2-0 with two back-to-back home games against Detroit & Chicago on tap.

Last month I said anywhere from 9 to 10 wins probably guarantees Rex a return ticket to come back in 2015. After yesterday's victory, the Jets now need to go 8-7 the rest of the way to accomplish that.. but they also need to show they can stand up to elite quarterbacks. They were able to do that in 2013, beating players like Brady, Ryan, Brees, etc. Next Sunday will be a great opportunity for Gang Green to show they won't lay down for Rodgers.. win or lose.

Geno as a pure drop-back passer was tremendous today. Made great reads, threw some gorgeous passes with plenty of zip, hit receivers in stride. Great job. The one pick was a spectacular play by a future Hall of Famer in Woodson. Whatever, he's still young and that sh!t will happen from time to time.

200 rushing yards 7. 200!! Makes it very easy for a QB when your team can dominate the ground attack like that. How often is that going to happen for the Jets this season? I said this last year, and I hope I don't have to say it again in 2014: "The Jets win IN SPITE of Geno, and lose BECAUSE of him." He needs to be more responsible with the ball. You can get away with it against the Raiders. You won't be able to get away with it against teams like Denver & New England.

400 yrds of offense.. holding Oakland to only 150 yrds (25 rushing) and we were FAR from playing our best football. The Jets were flagged 100x.. literally dropped 4 interceptions.. and I didn't particularly like the play calling of MM's either. He got too cute on a few different spots when he should have played it safe. Notwithstanding, we dominated this game. The scoreboard made it look close.. but the fact is, this game should've ended 33-7. I didn't like the fact that Colon was flagged 3 times, or the 4 plays that Marty chose for Vick.. but meh, I'll take whatever victory I can get at this point.

• CJ2K: 100 total yrds (rushing & receiving) and he looks like he's out to prove something. Let's see where this season takes him.

• AA’s tackling. I'm not going to throw a party over Allens performance against Oakland, however.. the guy can tackle.

• JETlife: The Jets have now won 8 of their last 10 home games. I especially liked the all white look, and the white-out from the fans.

• Offensive Line. Geno had all day to make his throws. They held their own against a quality front-seven. Good sign.

• Jeremy Kerley. He had only 5 receptions yesterday, but they were all on 2nd or 3rd, for 1st downs. Want to know why the running game was so damn good? Go back and rewatch the game. Kerley can block as good as anyone in the league. He's the most timely dependable player this team has had since Cotchery. The amount of poise he brings to each game is aw-inspiring as a fan. He never takes a play off.. ever. Since last season, the Jets are 9-5 with Kerley in the lineup, and it's no wonder as to why.

Looking ahead. House Money here folks! The Jets are playing with house money for Week 2. We're fighting a pissed off Packers team.. in Green Bay.. with 2 extra days rest\prep.. and an angry Rodgers coming off a week where he threw for only 180 yrds in Seattle. We are not supposed to win this game. The pressure is entirely on Green Bay to not fall 0-2 to start their season, in front of the Lambeau faithful. It's a win-win for the Jets. If we lose, no big deal. We're exactly where we thought we'd be @ 1-1, with ¾ of the following games on home-field. If we somehow.. by some miracle, sneak out of Green Bay with a ‘W, then we're 2-0 with two back-to-back home games against Detroit & Chicago on tap.

Last month I said anywhere from 9 to 10 wins probably guarantees Rex a return ticket to come back in 2015. After yesterday's victory, the Jets now need to go 8-7 the rest of the way to accomplish that.. but they also need to show they can stand up to elite quarterbacks. They were able to do that in 2013, beating players like Brady, Ryan, Brees, etc. Next Sunday will be a great opportunity for Gang Green to show they won't lay down for Rodgers.. win or lose.

200 rushing yards 7. 200!! Makes it very easy for a QB when your team can dominate the ground attack like that. How often is that going to happen for the Jets this season? I said this last year, and I hope I don't have to say it again in 2014: "The Jets win IN SPITE of Geno, and lose BECAUSE of him." He needs to be more responsible with the ball. You can get away with it against the Raiders. You won't be able to get away with it against teams like Denver & New England.

True, he does handle it like a loaf of bread sometimes and really doesn't feel the pressure around him too well. Honestly on some of his runs I'd implore him to wrap that thing up with two hands when getting tackled

Green Bay is soft in the middle. If I'm the Jets I absolutely gash them with Ivory/Powell/Johnson all day. Getting Milliner back (provided he's not super rusty or anything) will be huge.

Pack are going to have a banged up Eddie Lacy. I don't think they're getting much on the ground against us. Honestly if we can hold Green Bay to like 21-24 points we should be able to eek this one out.

i dont no wat by "some miracle" you beat gb means. the packers are beatable. its not like ur playing against the 85 bears

i dont no wat by "some miracle" you beat gb means. the packers are beatable. its not like ur playing against the 85 bears

..during yesterday's game, Rex had linebackers: Quinton Coples & Calvin Pace line up at Corner against the Raiders.

We've got a 7th rounder in Walls, and a Safety we just converted to CB (who's never played the position in his life) as our starters. Meanwhile, we're going into Green Bay, against an angry Aaron Rodgers who's had 2 extra days to plan against the Jets.

..unless we score 38 points, it will be an absolute miracle if the Jets beat the Packers.

..during yesterday's game, Rex had linebackers: Quinton Coples & Calvin Pace line up at Corner against the Raiders.

We've got a 7th rounder in Walls, and a Safety we just converted to CB (who's never played the position in his life) as our starters. Meanwhile, we're going into Green Bay, against an angry Aaron Rodgers who's had 2 extra days to plan against the Jets.

..unless we score 38 points, it will be an absolute miracle if the Jets beat the Packers.

yea. Green Bay is no world beater and they proved they are clearly a cut or 2 below Seattle (who isn't though) but it's less the opponent than the TIMING of the game.

If we were playing Green Bay, at home, mid season, when they were coming off an emotional game against the Bears...I'd like our chances a lot more. This game has 31-21 pack written all over it, though it wouldn't shock me if the Jets exceed expectations and come withing a touchdown

Green Bay is starting a rookie center. Mo Wilk and Sheldon have to absolutely dominate this kid to give us a shot

yea. Green Bay is no world beater and they proved they are clearly a cut or 2 below Seattle (who isn't though) but it's less the opponent than the TIMING of the game.

If we were playing Green Bay, at home, mid season, when they were coming off an emotional game against the Bears.. I'd like our chances a lot more. This game has 31-21 pack written all over it, though it wouldn't shock me if the Jets exceed expectations and come withing a touchdown

Green Bay is starting a rookie center. Mo Wilk and Sheldon have to absolutely dominate this kid to give us a shot

What's not being discussed here is that the Packers can't stop the run. Wilson had a pretty pedestrian game last Thursday, with a QBR of only 66.8, throwing for under 200 yrds. Green Bay ranked 27th, near the bottom of the league last season against the run, giving up nearly 130 yrds a game. Then Seattle runs for over 210 yrds last week, and it would seem that not much has changed.

If I'm Rex & Marty.. I run the 3 Headed Monster 40x this Sunday.

So it looks as though that both Bulaga & Lacy will be healthy enough to play this game for the Packers on Sunday. And you know what? --BRING IT ON!

..no excuses win or lose after we leave Green Bay. Let's really get a sense of where the Jets are as a team. Is this defense serious enough to march into Lambaeu, and frustrate Rodgers? Or were we just a lucky bunch that feasted on a bad Raiders team, and their rookie QB.

We find out in 3 days! jets.gif

You couldn't have scripted a better first twenty-five minutes that would be believable and you couldn't have scripted a worse last five :P

If you told me I'd be annoyed over being up five at the half I'd have thought you were nuts :lol:  But they might have just lost the game on that last drive before the half.

Wow the Jets deserve to lose just for this pitiful display alone on the first drive in the second half.  Burning a timeout and giving the Packers a chance to challenge a borderline play, then Geno with a bad-looking play that might as well be called a fumble with how ill-prepared we were for the second half.