Jagr Is Back

William D'Aquila

I don't want a 44 yr old forward at a stupidly high salary. And the wheels with Jagr will come off quickly at some point. He looked really sluggish at times the second half this year. He also produced because this system is tailor made for players with certain liabilities. We got killed in a lot of odd man rushes and will do so again next year. I also doubt Jagr puts up close to his production this past season.

I like Jagr but I'd rather spend 5 or 6 million on something younger and more investment worthy over a build forward term in 2015. Next year I could care less as unless Lou makes serious improvements this team won't make the playoffs.

I think Jagr only got better as the season went on. You won't find anyone younger to replace Jagr's production for $5-6 million, especially at a 1-year.  Free agency gets you a Clarkson or a Clowe.

You aren't getting a 44-year-old Jagr either. The guy is obviously a freak. What he has done at 41-42 has not been done in this league. No sense in worrying about a drop-off, especially on a 1-year deal. 

Edited by devilsrule33

I don't want a 44 yr old forward at a stupidly high salary.

Imagine you could know in advance that Jagr would repeat last season.  How much do you think that is worth in free agency?

And the wheels with Jagr will come off quickly at some point. He looked really sluggish at times the second half this year.

Yeah, sluggish to the tune of a nearly 62% Corsi in the final 25 games of the season.  He was retardedly dominant down the stretch.  

He also produced because this system is tailor made for players with certain liabilities. We got killed in a lot of odd man rushes and will do so again next year.

This has tons to do with the right wing, I bet.  Improving at wing will certainly fix this issue.  Also newsflash but teams give up odd man rushes.

I also doubt Jagr puts up close to his production this past season.

I don't think he will put up 67 points again, but 60 seems like a reasonable estimate per 82 games.

I like Jagr but I'd rather spend 5 or 6 million on something younger and more investment worthy over a build forward term in 2015. This coming season I could care less as unless Lou makes serious improvements this team won't make the playoffs.

Yeah, no, this is insane, but we've been over this.  The Devils finished the season with a positive goal differential, they played a sh!twagon goalie half the year, and they flubbed every shootout they played in.  There's a bit of a correction coming on PP luck and OT luck that should be smoothed over or better by shootout improvement + Schneider for 65 games.

Edited by Triumph

So funny, the guy leads the team in scoring, doesn't miss a game, and people still think he's too old. 

He's too old for a 5 year deal, but a one year deal after the season he just had? I'd be in on that all day long. Especially since I don't think it will affect any other moves they may (or may not) make. 

I know people will say we should be getting younger, bla bla bla, but the numbers Jagr had this year, and the influence he can have on our younger players makes his presence on our team invaluable.

Very glad he's back, he certainly earned it, with his play.

Jagr's the exception to that rule.  He proved he's more than able to be a positive on and off the ice and we absolutely needed him back.

But yes we need to get younger and faster around him.

Imagine you could know in advance that Jagr would repeat last season. How much do you think that is worth in free agency?

Yeah, sluggish to the tune of a nearly 62% Corsi in the final 25 games of the season.

This has tons to do with the right wing, I bet.

I don't think he will put up 67 points again, but 60 seems like a reasonable estimate per 82 games.

Yeah, no, this is insane, but we've been over this. The Devils finished the season with a positive goal differential, they played a sh!twagon goalie half the year, and they flubbed every shootout they played in. There's a bit of a correction coming on PP luck and OT luck that should be smoothed over or better by shootout improvement + Schneider for 65 games.

I will believe the latter when I see it Tri and I hope you are right but when it comes to your projections, there always seems to be a caveat the following seasons in other areas that fall off and we keep seeing this saber stat dance of what needs to be addressed. Lou has to find Zajac and Jagr a legitimate winger for Jagr to hold up and that line to succeed consistently if not dominate.

Lou has to make further moves with the forwards and probably through trades. He absolutely has to. There is no debate on this point not being accurate that I will even entertain.

Puck possession is an important stat but it is not a saving grace for the kind of deficiencies we had last year. It kept us close but showed how weak the roster was in certain areas both skill wise and depth wise.

$5 million for Clowe or $5 million for 2013-2014 Jagr?  Hmmm...let me think about that one...lol

First off, Clowe's salary is more or less okay so long as he's healthy.  If he's not, his salary won't count against the cap (notwithstanding the technicalities) and insurance will cover much of the real dollars.

Second, Jagr put up more points over the past two years than Paul Statsny, who everyone wants to break the bank for.  You could be paying Jagr $8 million next year.  If it's only for one year, and it doesn't prevent other moves, it doesn't matter.  If the bottom drops out next year, so be it.  Next season is a good year to be awful anyway.

First off, Clowe's salary is more or less okay so long as he's healthy. If he's not, his salary won't count against the cap (notwithstanding the technicalities) and insurance will cover much of the real dollars.

Second, Jagr put up more points over the past two years than Paul Statsny, who everyone wants to break the bank for. You could be paying Jagr $8 million next year. If it's only for one year, and it doesn't prevent other moves, it doesn't matter. If the bottom drops out next year, so be it. Next season is a good year to be awful anyway.

Clowe and Jagr are two completely different players who are in two different situations respectively. Yes at an age to age and production to production comparison in terms of value, Jagr has more weight due to his production. And for the record again I've hated the Clowe contract as it negated the good fortune of not keeping Clarkson.

I will believe the latter when I see it Tri and I hope you are right but when it comes to your projections, there always seems to be a caveat the following seasons in other areas that fall off and we keep seeing this saber stat dance of what needs to be addressed. Lou has to find Zajac and Jagr a legitimate winger for Jagr to hold up and that line to succeed consistently if not dominate.

Lou has to make further moves with the forwards and probably through trades. He absolutely has to. There is no debate on this point not being accurate that I will even entertain.

Puck possession is an important stat but it is not a saving grace for the kind of deficiencies we had last year. It kept us close but showed how weak the roster was in certain areas both skill wise and depth wise.

They definitely need forwards - I'm not arguing that.  What I'm saying is that Jagr is the largest domino in the Rube Goldberg that is NJ making the playoffs.  He was probably worth $9M last year, so even if he's only half as good as he was last year he's still pulling his weight.  It also signals to everyone else that the Devils aren't half-assing things.

First off, Clowe's salary is more or less okay so long as he's healthy.  If he's not, his salary won't count against the cap (notwithstanding the technicalities) and insurance will cover much of the real dollars.

Second, Jagr put up more points over the past two years than Paul Statsny, who everyone wants to break the bank for.  You could be paying Jagr $8 million next year.  If it's only for one year, and it doesn't prevent other moves, it doesn't matter.  If the bottom drops out next year, so be it.  Next season is a good year to be awful anyway.

If the bottom drops out, NJ isn't a playoff team and maybe they deal Jagr for a 2nd round pick.  Nothing ventured.  The only risk with a 1 year contract is will it affect other moves and will it impinge on other players' playing time.  I don't think it will affect other potential moves - UFA is barren aside from Paul Statsny and even if Brad Richards comes available he's a bad option - and the Devils' other RWs are Brunner, Ryder, and pray for power outage.

I know people will say we should be getting younger, bla bla bla, but the numbers Jagr had this year, and the influence he can have on our younger players makes his presence on our team invaluable.

Very glad he's back, he certainly earned it, with his play.

I always think we can get younger, but this is a great signing, I never had a problem w/ Jagr...its all the other oldies I want out!

If the bottom drops out, NJ isn't a playoff team and maybe they deal Jagr for a 2nd round pick. Nothing ventured. The only risk with a 1 year contract is will it affect other moves and will it impinge on other players' playing time. I don't think it will affect other potential moves - UFA is barren aside from Paul Statsny and even if Brad Richards comes available he's a bad option - and the Devils' other RWs are Brunner, Ryder, and pray for power outage.

I also meant so far as being in the Connor McDavid, Eichel, Hannifin sweepstakes. (Relatedly, Pronman has an interesting article (paywall) on whether the Isles should give up this years pick).

There are a few other pretty good ufa options although overpriced and unavailable, Iginla, Vanek and Moulson (would want no part of Gaborik even in theory).

Given the savings on Marty and the probable loss of either Volchenkov or Salvador, the Devils could easily afford a big ticket free agent or perhaps even two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

to be honest... i dont know much about this stastny that everyone here seems to be so obsessed with but i looked him up quick on capgeek and just from a quick glance on there he doesnt seem like anything so special.. i think his highest scoring season was 25 goals once... big deal.. i mean as i said i dont really know much about him what he brings to the shootout the power play etc. but just from a quick glance of his goals and points that he puts up season to season didnt seem like all that... we need a solid 30 plus goal scorer.

No complaints. Obviously not a long term fix, but he was the long bright spot last year.