Jagr Is Back

William D'Aquila

How do people come up with the amount and structure of the contracts when team policy is always that terms aren't disclosed?

I'm guessing team policy is more that they don't want to plaster the contract terms on the main press release like other teams do, but leak them through the beat writers and official NHL office records....?

I don't know, just guessing.

not too bad as long as jagr stays healthy.. if he didnt stay healthy this season not a chance we would have been anywheres close in the race

And if he doesn't stay healthy, the worst possible scenario is we have an aging Jagr on the brink of retirement trying his hand as player-coach/assistant coach. No matter what, Jagr's presence on this team is invaluable, especially with the kids we have coming up and the transition we're in. And this is coming from someone (me) who was against the signing last offseason.

Edited by DJ Eco

Jagr played Euro Hockey Tour game vs Sweden today, was out working on his skating before warmups, then stayed behind and worked on his stickhandling in the hallway after the game.

this is exactly what keeps him so young and competitive he practices twice as hard as everyone else to stay sharp and fit on his game.

:offtopic:

I was looking at Jagr's stats today and got to wondering "if he hadn't bailed to the KHL would he be challenging Gretzky for most goals in NHL History?"

Looking at his numbers pre and post move, he might have got a extra 75-90 goals in that 3 years, that still puts him over 100 goals off Gretzky at the end of this season. Even with those extra seasons he would have to play until he was 50 to get there without a massive decline.

I really cant ever see any of Gretzky's scotring records ever beinf broken.

However i can see Jagr trying to play in the NHL at the age of 50.  

this is exactly what keeps him so young and competitive he practices twice as hard as everyone else to stay sharp and fit on his game.

Now this is written like a dude who has no idea what aging is like. 

Yes hard work does come into play -- but you MUST have the genes to continue.  Marty has worked his ass off (as much as we'd like to paint him a lazy pizza eating slob) he has done EVERYTHING right since figuring out the aging thing.  Sometimes you just have to accept you'll have limitations some other guy doesn't.  But you DO have to push it to see if you've really hit your limit. 

My mother told me at 75 that she and my dad were now really and truly old -- sure you think you are when your 65~70 -- but at 75 it's for real.  NOW she's 78 and called and said "Nah -- I was wrong - you can still snap back IF you'll just get off your ass"

I was looking at Jagr's stats today and got to wondering "if he hadn't bailed to the KHL would he be challenging Gretzky for most goals in NHL History?"

Looking at his numbers pre and post move, he might have got a extra 75-90 goals in that 3 years, that still puts him over 100 goals off Gretzky at the end of this season. Even with those extra seasons he would have to play until he was 50 to get there without a massive decline.

Don't forget the lockouts.

I was looking at Jagr's stats today and got to wondering "if he hadn't bailed to the KHL would he be challenging Gretzky for most goals in NHL History?"

It's possible, but passing Gretzky or not, there is no doubt in my mind that Jagr is equal if not better a goal scorer than Gretzky. Neither are what you would define as a pure "goal-scorer". Jagr has only hit 50 goals 3 times in his career and 40 goals 6 times.

Gretzky had the advantage of playing during the entire 80s decade. When systems/coaching and especially goalies got better with the butterfly being more prevalent and equipment getting bigger in the mid to late 90s, he had trouble scoring. He was still an incredibly talented passer and thinker that allowed him to put up seasons like 23-79-102, 25-72-97, 23-67-90, 9-52-62 to end his career.

I know people have formulas to adjust scoring for era. It be interesting to see if they can dump Jagr in the 80s or what not and see what it be. I gather if Jagr played in the exact seasons that Gretzky played in, he'd have 2200+ points or so.

As for the KHL and lockouts, you can add goals and what not, but it's hard to know what would happen. People have specualted that Jagr needed to go to the KHL to be the person/player he is right now. Without those KHL years, maybe he isn't in the NHL right now.

Edited by devilsrule33

It's possible, but passing Gretzky or not, there is no doubt in my mind that Jagr is equal if not better a goal scorer than Gretzky. Neither are what you would define as a pure "goal-scorer". Jagr has only hit 50 goals 3 times in his career and 40 goals 6 times. 

Gretzky had the advantage of playing during the entire 80s decade. When systems/coaching and especially goalies got better with the butterfly being more prevalent and equipment getting bigger in the mid to late 90s, he had trouble scoring. He was still an incredibly talented passer and thinker that allowed him to put up seasons like 23-79-102, 25-72-97, 23-67-90, 9-52-62 to end his career. 

I know people have formulas to adjust scoring for error. It be interesting to see if they can dump Jagr in the 80s or what not and see what it be. I gather if Jagr played in the exact seasons that Gretzky played in, he'd have 2200+ points or so.

As for the KHL and lockouts, you can add goals and what not, but it's hard to know what would happen. People have specualted that Jagr needed to go to the KHL to be the person/player he is right now. Without those KHL years, maybe he isn't in the NHL right now.

Even using those formulas, Gretzky was way ahead of everyone else and it wasn't really that close.

That doesn't mean that Gretzky was better than Jagr, what it means is that Gretzky was far better RELATIVE to players who played at the same time to him than Jagr was better than players against him. As we know, the standard of play in hockey has improved greatly since 1980, from systems, skating, fitness, diet, skill, talent, everything. So....Gretzky was better than the average player during his career by a lot more than Jagr was better than the average player during Jagr's career.

Thats all the advanced stats can really tell you. 

Even using those formulas, Gretzky was way ahead of everyone else and it wasn't really that close.

That doesn't mean that Gretzky was better than Jagr, what it means is that Gretzky was far better RELATIVE to players who played at the same time to him than Jagr was better than players against him. As we know, the standard of play in hockey has improved greatly since 1980, from systems, skating, fitness, diet, skill, talent, everything. So....Gretzky was better than the average player during his career by a lot more than Jagr was better than the average player during Jagr's career.

I'm with you. That's why I said 2200 points and not close at all to Gretzky's 2857. 2200 might be a conservative estimate anyway.

I am not sure I agree with this.  Gretzky in his prime got to play with very talented players.  Jagr had Lemieux, but after he retired, that was a pretty dire Pittsburgh team.  People might want to say that Martin Straka is good but he played years and years with Jagr - who knows how good he is without Jagr?  After he left Pittsburgh the first time he had some not good years.

On the other hand, there's some evidence that Jari Kurri and Glenn Anderson weren't all that great either.

It would've been interesting to see how Jagr in his prime would've done surrounded by other HOFers.  I think Gretzky is better certainly but I think the gap is less than you might imagine.

I am not sure I agree with this.  Gretzky in his prime got to play with very talented players.  Jagr had Lemieux, but after he retired, that was a pretty dire Pittsburgh team.  People might want to say that Martin Straka is good but he played years and years with Jagr - who knows how good he is without Jagr?  After he left Pittsburgh the first time he had some not good years.

On the other hand, there's some evidence that Jari Kurri and Glenn Anderson weren't all that great either.

It would've been interesting to see how Jagr in his prime would've done surrounded by other HOFers.  I think Gretzky is better certainly but I think the gap is less than you might imagine.

Which part were you disagreeing with? I'm not saying one way or another whose linemates were better. My point was solely that advanced stats point to Gretzky being far better than an average NHLer during his playing career (therefore replacement level, as well) than Jagr was during his.

I didn't watch enough of Gretzky in his prime to make a personal judgment as to who I think is better, I'm only commenting on what the stats are pointing to, and none of them (at least that I've seen) seem to conclude that Gretzky was better than Jagr or visa-versa. 

Brodeur is far from out of shape. Don't forget, after the half-lockout last season 2012-2013, he started off super strong for the first month or so of the season when we were on that super hot streak. They asked Marty what he did to prepare for the season during the extended offseason, and he joked around and said he did nothing special, just played golf. But it was pretty obvious he was at the top of his game and fitness until he got that injury.

Kurri had a very small window when he did not play with Gretzky, and in that period of time he was still tremendous in the regular season and playoffs (winning a cup). If he'd never seen Wayne in his life Kurri would've still found his way to 1000 points

Edited by '7'