Do you think we could get Joe Thorton?

roomtemp

I'd love to get Hertl--he's from Czech, he could get mentored by Patty and his idol Jagr.  Seems like a good fit to me!

He's also one of the best super young players in the league. We'd have to give Schneider, Henrique and Merrill probably at least. And then they'd still say no probably

I'd take Jumbo any day of the week. He'd be fine in another relaxed atmosphere here like SJ and yeah maybe he's not amazing in the playoffs like Kopitar, but there's no reason we can't win with him as our #1 center. Remember in 03 when we had Gomez as our #1 who almost got traded and our #2 after Nieuwendyk got hurt was probably Pascal Rheaume or John Madden maybe? 

He's also one of the best super young players in the league. We'd have to give Schneider, Henrique and Merrill probably at least. And then they'd still say no probably

I know we'd have to sell the farm and the city to get him and we don't have the assets.  But since everyone was posting their wishful thinking, I just added mine.  :)

One positive thing about the Sharks is that over the past several years, they seem to have a pretty good farm system and have been able to identify good young talent.

Joe's style would fit NJ but again... im opposed to send assets for a 35 years old guy... it would be yet another "quick fix" solution. I'd rather "sign" a quick fix, at least you're not losing assets.

If we're gonna trade to get someone, i'd want to get a young guy that we know we can rely on for awhile. We desperately needs to get younger. especially on the offence since a chunk of our best players will likely be gone in a few years.

I wouldn't mind going after a guy like Fleischmann from Florida. He's coming off an awful year and could probably be had for very cheap. I think he could be a great fit on the wing for Zajac and Jagr because up until this past season he was a .7 ppg type player. If it does work out he's also still relatively young. If it doesn't, I think he only has one more year on his deal. Either way, I don't want to see Lou giving up any significant assets unless we're returning a young guy the level of Evander Kane.

I want no part of Vanek or Gaborik. I can't see either of those two coming anywhere close to living up to their contract. Stasney would be great but I don't think we have a chance. If it isn't about the money, he'll either be an Av or Blue next year and if it is, someone like Tallon will throw an obscene amount of money at him.

As for Thornton, he's a nice player but I don't think he solves our biggest problem. We need guys who can actually finish when set up by Elias and Jagr. Getting Thornton would be like signing Scott Gomez in his prime to be that finisher. What the Devils would really have is another guy who could create great scoring opportunities for his teammates to squander. He'll also cost more than we should be giving up given his age and that we are supposedly re-tooling or whatever. If he were a lot younger it would be a different story.

There's no way Joe Thornton is good enough for our awesome team! He only has a slightly better playoff PPG average then people like Pavel Datsyuk, both the Sedins, Zach Parise, Mike Richards, Brendan Shanahan, Patrice Bergeron, Mogily, Selänne, Marleau, Havlat, Pavelski, Claude Lemieux, Sharp etc etc etc. And clearly, every player who hasn't won the cup has proven that he, as an individual, is a crappy no-clutch player. I mean, it's not as if this is a team sport. If the Pens don't win this year, it is because Crasby isn't sufficiently clutch.

Here's a list over sh!tty no-clutch players who also wouldn't have been good enough for the Devils: Sundin, Linden, Ryan Smith, Hawerchuk, Lindros, Alfredsson, Iginla, Bure, Neely,  Peter Statsny, Marcel Dionne, Gilbert Perreault, Adam Oates, Salming, LaFontaine..

Ray Borque managed to squeeze in a cup in the last game of his career, so I guess he's pretty clutch.

There's no way Joe Thornton is good enough for our awesome team! He only has a slightly better playoff PPG average then people like Pavel Datsyuk, both the Sedins, Zach Parise, Mike Richards, Brendan Shanahan, Patrice Bergeron, Mogily, Selänne, Marleau, Havlat, Pavelski, Claude Lemieux, Sharp etc etc etc. And clearly, every player who hasn't won the cup has proven that he, as an individual, is a crappy no-clutch player. I mean, it's not as if this is a team sport. If the Pens don't win this year, it is because Crasby isn't sufficiently clutch.

Here's a list over sh!tty no-clutch players who also wouldn't have been good enough for the Devils: Sundin, Linden, Ryan Smith, Hawerchuk, Lindros, Alfredsson, Iginla, Bure, Neely,  Peter Statsny, Marcel Dionne, Gilbert Perreault, Adam Oates, Salming, LaFontaine..

Ray Borque managed to squeeze in a cup in the last game of his career, so I guess he's pretty clutch.

yeah but would you trade assets that youre already lacking to get a 35 years old Lindros? lol I dont think anyone here would mind having him here but its a bit too risky depending on what we'd have to send their way

yeah but would you trade assets that youre already lacking to get a 35 years old Lindros? lol I dont think anyone here would mind having him here but its a bit too risky depending on what we'd have to send their way

Have you not learned from the great Jagr? 35 isn't old for a guy showing no signs of slowing down.

Have you not learned from the great Jagr? 35 isn't old for a guy showing no signs of slowing down.

yea but i think the thing to worry about is when the decline starts to happen how quickly the wheels can fall off all at once.

Thank you. No one is saying Thornton isn't a great player but given the Devils needs, his particular skill set, his age and what it would take to get him it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Thank you. No one is saying Thornton isn't a great player but given the Devils needs, his particular skill set, his age and what it would take to get him it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

His particular skill set? You mean his terrific skills at almost everything? His age? 35 isn't that old when you see he hasn't slowed down. I'll kinda give you the last one of the price it would take to get him. However, if SJ wants to blow up their team and deal him east, he may not be that expensive.