Do you think we could get Joe Thorton?

roomtemp

His particular skill set? You mean his terrific skills at almost everything? His age? 35 isn't that old when you see he hasn't slowed down. I'll kinda give you the last one of the price it would take to get him. However, if SJ wants to blow up their team and deal him east, he may not be that expensive.

What Laterelous is saying is that Thornton gets a butt ton of assists because he plays with high level talent. We don't have that level.

His particular skill set? You mean his terrific skills at almost everything? His age? 35 isn't that old when you see he hasn't slowed down. I'll kinda give you the last one of the price it would take to get him. However, if SJ wants to blow up their team and deal him east, he may not be that expensive.

He's played an amount of games where I'd be weary of his output moving forward. He's a HOF talent, but he has been in a great spot the last few years. He might still have a few 70 point seasons left, but he could just as easily burn you. If Thornton gets moved, and hey it is possible, I imagine it'll be to a team that is ready to contend.

As for your comment about Jagr, I think he a very rare case in sports. Lou always says age is just a number. That's true. But I remember when he signed Rolston, and he was so sure that Brian was one player you didn't have to worry about. It seemed from day 1 you had to worry about him. It really is a hard thing to gauge.

Edited by devilsrule33

He's played an amount of games where I'd be weary of his output moving forward. He's a HOF talent, but he has been in a great spot the last few years. He might still have a few 70 point seasons left, but he could just as easily burn you. If Thornton gets moved, and hey it is possible, I imagine it'll be to a team that is ready to contend.

As for your comment about Jagr, I think he a very rare case in sports. Lou always says age is just a number. That's true. But I remember when he signed Rolston, and he was so sure that Brian was one player you didn't have to worry about. It seemed from day 1 you had to worry about him. It really is a hard thing to gauge.

Rolston was a much worse player than Joe Thornton.  When you are looking at rates of decline, a good place to start is how good was the player initially?  Well, Thornton was amazing, and while his goal scoring has dried up, he's still a phenomenal passer.  Then I'd look at injuries - Thornton has basically suffered no serious injuries in his career, or at least not for the last 10 years.

The end can come fast.  Sakic scored 100 points at age 37 and only played 60 more games.  Injuries can always strike.  But I'd certainly bet on Joe Thornton - he is one of the smartest players in the league.  If he can stay healthy I don't doubt he could play 5 or 6 more years, most of those at a high level.

Rolston was a much worse player than Joe Thornton.  When you are looking at rates of decline, a good place to start is how good was the player initially?  Well, Thornton was amazing, and while his goal scoring has dried up, he's still a phenomenal passer.  Then I'd look at injuries - Thornton has basically suffered no serious injuries in his career, or at least not for the last 10 years.

The end can come fast.  Sakic scored 100 points at age 37 and only played 60 more games.  Injuries can always strike.  But I'd certainly bet on Joe Thornton - he is one of the smartest players in the league.  If he can stay healthy I don't doubt he could play 5 or 6 more years, most of those at a high level.

When I wrote that, I thought maybe I should edit to explain there is no way I'm comparing Rolston and Thornton because Tri is going to respond on that. And here we are haha...

Rolston was the same age as Thornton is right now, but had played a few hundred less games too.

Anyway, I agree with everything you are saying. There are a lot of reasons to take Thornton. I also think it be wise for San Jose to sell high on either Marleau or Thornton (some would say you would be selling low after this playoff run). Both have played over 1200 games at the age of 34. Sharks may not need to do anything, but trading 1 for a few different roster players could be beneficial for them.

I think they both have NTC and probably don't want to be traded, but it's a thought.

What Laterelous is saying is that Thornton gets a butt ton of assists because he plays with high level talent. We don't have that level.

You must be joking? Thornton has an undeniable history of making even mediocre linemates into pure gold. Cheechoo?

You must be joking? Thornton has an undeniable history of making even mediocre linemates into pure gold. Cheechoo?

While Big Joe did help increase Cheech's output in 05-06, Cheech was still a talented goal scorer. He potted 28 in 03-04. He'd be good to center Ryder but it's not automatic. There has to be chemistry.

Throw out the '05-'06 numbers...a lot of anomalies that season (Brian Gionta's 48 goals, for one).  Legal body checks were being called penalties.

Thornton is a fantastic player, please don't think I am saying otherwise. I'm just saying that I don't think he's a great fit given what it would cost to get him and what he would provide given the current roster and the lack of assets we have to get him. Even if we got Thornton I think there several more moves that have to be made before we can dream of going anywhere in the postseason.

I actually thought Ryder was going to be the perfect signing last summer because I thought he would easily bury 35 getting set up by Elias. That clearly didn't work out so take anything I say with a grain of salt but I do think we are at a point where we just need to keep our picks and let them grow without constantly being in a win now mode with a team that's no where close to winning anything.

Doesn't Elias have pretty much the same history? Gionta, Gomez, arnott, Sykora, Clarkson, and getting 20 goals each out of a washed up Sykora and Rolston in their later years?

Thornton is an awesome player. He's just not the appropriate guy for the devils to target this summer given the current state of the team IMO.

Doesn't Elias have pretty much the same history? Gionta, Gomez, arnott, Sykora, Clarkson, and getting 20 goals each out of a washed up Sykora and Rolston in their later years?

Thornton is an awesome player. He's just not the appropriate guy for the devils to target this summer given the current state of the team IMO.

While Elias has a roughly 15% lower career ppg average then Thornton despite playing on several cup winning teams, he is clearly an elite player as well. I don't see how that takes away from Joe Thornton making all-stars out of scrubs for a decade. Aside from the obvious ones like Samsonov, Murray, Cheechoo.. He has a very distinct positive effect on pretty much every player you put next to him.

Signing Joe and then getting Kovy back would be the most awesome line ever. :P

http://www.fearthefin.com/2011/6/28/2247678/turns-out-joe-thornton-is-not-a-lousy-babysitter

While Elias has a roughly 15% lower career ppg average then Thornton despite playing on several cup winning teams, he is clearly an elite player as well. I don't see how that takes away from Joe Thornton making all-stars out of scrubs for a decade. Aside from the obvious ones like Samsonov, Murray, Cheechoo.. He has a very distinct positive effect on pretty much every player you put next to him.

Signing Joe and then getting Kovy back would be the most awesome line ever. :P

http://www.fearthefin.com/2011/6/28/2247678/turns-out-joe-thornton-is-not-a-lousy-babysitter

No.  You're wrong.  Kovy is a coward and a quitter.  I don't want any part of that sh!t.  Thornton is the leader of a team that consistently fails in the playoffs.  He's also played for the same team for a while, and if he's so good, why wouldn't the Sharks bring him back?  His presence on the roster gives SJ a ridiculous amount of center depth and I don't see him wanting to leave unless SJ really wants to make some changes.

http://youtu.be/IWVfSs__43o

It would be like gaining another Clowe or something.  Have you seen the season Kovy has had?  It's still yet to be seen if he'll bounce back, but to put in simple terms, imagine being a young hockey player, midget-age, like 15-16 years old.  Then you DECIDE that in order to be closer to the home, you go to play at a different ice rink, which is closer to home, but then you DECIDE to play in a division or league that is an age group lower.  That is in essence what Kovy did.  Kovy made his choice and he should live with it.  Good luck winning a Gagarin Cup << :thumbsup:

Correct. Thornton hasn't missed a game the last 3 years. In fact, he's only missed a grand total of 6 since coming over from Boston. He's very durable. The goal production is down but there are few better set up men. He needs 148 assists for 1,000. With 3 years remaining on a contract worth an average cap hit of $6.75 million, he's affordable. He and Marleau signed basically identical deals. The Sharks also have Pavelski and Couture earning 6. Burns also makes $5.76 through 2016-17. That's a lot invested in a core that has fallen short. It's a shame that such great hockey fans suffer every year.

Looking at Jumbo Joe's postseason numbers, he's never scored over 3 goals. The assists are nice. Ironically, he had 2 goals and 1 assist in the 3 wins vs LA. No points and minus-6 the final 4. Part of that was Quick, who's clutch. The Sharks' collapse coincided with the loss of top defenseman Vlasic. They were careless defensively and exposed. I like Thornton. I just wonder why he doesn't have that killer instinct. If only he played with that missing edge.