Landing Spots for Brodeur

Devils Pride 26

Instead of working on my thesis, I was compelled to look at potential landing spots for Brodeur - should he not re-sign or retire.

It should be noted that this is pure speculation. Keep in mind Brodeur was quoted saying he wants to play "more than this year" and on a contending team. I don;t think there is a team that can give him both. I think he'll have to pick a pure backup role on a good team or play 50 on a bad one.

San Jose? Niemi has put up pretty good regular season numbers, but wasn't so hot this postseason. Perhaps SJ gives Marty a look.

Pittsburgh? We've seen what happens to MAF in the postseason, and if he has another round like that again, I could see them looking for a veteran with experience they could lean on as a backup instead.

Montreal? Hometown reasons obviously, backup Carey Price play 20 or so games.

Washington? Holtby is the current starter, and didn't have the greatest season this year. Although seems like the Caps view him as the starter after moving Halak's rights.

And most interesting of them all... Philadelphia... Mason is the current starter but I bet Brodeur could get a decent amount of games. Couple that with the fact that he said in his book he thought Philly would be a great city to play for while having their front office making head scratching decisions - I doubt it, but it could happen.

Again, this is all pure speculation but I'm starting to feel weird about Brodeur wearing another jersey. Please retire.

Edited by Devils Pride 26

Hard not to like who's #1 on that list.

I'm with DP26...hope he simply retires.  Any team that signs him will soon realize he needs some serious propping up...in that you better not give up many shots, and you better score 3+.   

The Isles are a possibility, especially if they decide to give up this year's pick for the Vanek deal.  I know they just traded for Halak, but who knows whether he signs there.  In the meantime, you have a moron for a GM that probably thinks Marty is still a quality starter, and he's a guy that might help sell a few extra seats.  If he continues to decline, it's that much more of a chance of winning the Connor McDavid sweepstakes.

I think Marty knows Devils fans would riot if he went to Philly. While I know Marty is in this for Marty, I have to think he'd think twice about the Phailures because they're a blood rival.

i doubt that.. he wants to play and he wants to win.. whoever offers him money to play on a half way descent team i think he goes.. these are professional sports players most of them have zero loyalty and just go with the cash.. however brodeur being here for so long we all know part of his heart is here no matter what.. but i think he will go where ever he gets to play the most EXCEPT the NYR even though thats not even an option just dont think he would ever go over there ever!

i wouldnt mind having him back here as a back up.. i really wouldnt.. i know a lot of people here on this board are against it saying that there are much better back ups but whatever..i think hes qualified for the job

He's been among the worst puck-stoppers over the past two seasons, and I'm sorry, all it's going to take is for poor Cory Schneider to have three poor-to-meh starts for us to start reading quotes from PDB that basically say "We're so lucky to have a second #1 goalie we can go to if need be, Marty is still very capable."  This last year was pretty tough for everyone involved, and the quotes got harder to take as the season went on.  I have no interest in 2014-15 being 2013-14 all over again, from a goaltending standpoint.  Cory deserves to be the undisputed #1 with a clear backup-type behind him, and I don't care if Marty eventually says all of the right things, I just don't see him ever truly embracing that mentality (or even being terribly good if he does).  One of these years, the poor save%s and meh GAAs are going to catch up to him, from a W-L standpoint.  I don't need to see that. 

i wouldnt mind having him back here as a back up.. i really wouldnt.. i know a lot of people here on this board are against it saying that there are much better back ups but whatever..i think hes qualified for the job

The problem is that he wouldn't be a backup here no matter how poorly he is plain for how good Schneider is playing. So unless Schneider says he doesn't want to be here, it's much more trouble than it's worth. And the only reason I say that I'd take him if Schneider leaves is to have a shot at a top three pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The problem is that he wouldn't be a backup here no matter how poorly he is plain for how good Schneider is playing. So unless Schneider says he doesn't want to be here, it's much more trouble than it's worth. And the only reason I say that I'd take him if Schneider leaves is to have a shot at a top three pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bringing Jagr back screams to me that this is a team that is going to try to contend next season.  But yeah, if the Devils were thinking Connor McDavid, bringing Marty back to start 55-60 games would go a long way towards improving their lottery odds.

My guess (if he returns) is 50% he's a devil, 35% canadien, 15% somewhere else. Honestly I don't think he'll get a guaranteed starters role anywhere, so if that's the case logic should dictate he keep his legacy untarnished (relatively) by staying here than as a backup in Washington or Pittsburgh, but then again who knows.

Instead of working on my thesis, I was compelled to look at potential landing spots for Brodeur - should he not re-sign or retire.

It should be noted that this is pure speculation. Keep in mind Brodeur was quoted saying he wants to play "more than this year" and on a contending team. I don;t think there is a team that can give him both. I think he'll have to pick a pure backup role on a good team or play 50 on a bad one.

San Jose? Niemi has put up pretty good regular season numbers, but wasn't so hot this postseason. Perhaps SJ gives Marty a look.

Pittsburgh? We've seen what happens to MAF in the postseason, and if he has another round like that again, I could see them looking for a veteran with experience they could lean on as a backup instead.

Montreal? Hometown reasons obviously, backup Carey Price play 20 or so games.

Washington? Holtby is the current starter, and didn't have the greatest season this year. Although seems like the Caps view him as the starter after moving Halak's rights.

And most interesting of them all... Philadelphia... Mason is the current starter but I bet Brodeur could get a decent amount of games. Couple that with the fact that he said in his book he thought Philly would be a great city to play for while having their front office making head scratching decisions - I doubt it, but it could happen.

Again, this is all pure speculation but I'm starting to feel weird about Brodeur wearing another jersey. Please retire.

I think some of the ones you mentioned (especially San Jose) are going to depend on what happens with Ryan Miller.  Do the Blues finally give Jake Allen the crease and splurge on Stasny?  Do the Sharks think a goalie would make a difference and decide to blow what's left of their budget on Miller?  They didn't really act like they had faith in either goalie during the season.

Marty would play a lot less next year on Montreal than he did this year so that's out theoretically, except that's the 'one' team I could see him taking a lesser role with.  I honestly don't think he goes to Pittsburgh or Philly at this point, he didn't sound vindictive when he said it would break his heart to play against the Devils.  He's especially not going to Philly to be a backup now that Mason's the guy.

Edited by NJDevs4978

The more I think about it, the more likely it is imo that Marty's back here next year unfortunately.  He's going to test the waters on July 1st, realize no one wants him / is going to give him more than 20 games.  Then he limps back here and signs a 1 year deal as a backup.

But then..

...all it's going to take is for poor Cory Schneider to have three poor-to-meh starts for us to start reading quotes from PDB that basically say "We're so lucky to have a second #1 goalie we can go to if need be, Marty is still very capable." 

the above is an unfortunately very real scenario.

Marty deserves <20 starts next year if he's a Devil.  But you know that # will be closer to 30 than 20.

The question is who needs Marty's mentoring?  He's never done that and I dont think he CAN do that on the Devils because he still has the Oh let me just show you thing going on.  Devils are his team.  Now he wants to mess around and play and have fun and ... it just matters too much to him if he's on the Devils. 

If he sees glaring holes in someone's game and he can help them -- he will play there.  If I was a GM and he approached me I would absolutely give him a shot because he sees an opportunity.  Marty is no fool.  Marty MUST be productive or his quality of life suffers intolerably.  If he WANTS to play for you you have to value that vision you have to know he's got.  If he can fix MAF he will go to the Pens. 

Marty doesn't know if he can fix people yet and he's such a  live and let live guy it would be MASSIVE FUN to see what he brought to the table.  And it's his audition for goalie coach as well.   I think this year has great potential IF he sees where to go.  No one can wan thim and woo him -- that's a recipe for failure.  But if he sees a place to go where he will contribute  HE HAS TO KNOW HE CAN CONTRIBUTE  he cannot be searching for party time like Maddens send off --- I think Marty has such a split personality he probably can't see the forest for the trees frankly.   I dont know.... I think he needs to retire and do a little high school coaching -- a little minor league dabbling.... I dont think he can play both sides against the middle because he doesn't have the mental discipline required.  I really respect him and I honestly have no problem with his (albeit sh&#33;tty) character.

OK yeah -- well -- you work it out Marty.  i dont envy you your options -- I fear you've got no where to go but a little self-loathing.  Partying won't be as fun as you hoped and coaching will feel too goody-two-shoes for you -- you've got to just ride it out.  I say retire and screw around in your own backyard until you've mentally adjusted out of it.  It's just the best route -- far less humiliating and stuff than feeling how you WILL feel in any situation.  Feel it in private so you dont have to deal with these fvckers you know?  You do feel it  -- and I guess there is MORE self-loathing there too -- yeah -- you're just fvcked.  time will pass and it won't be so bad in hind sight  Best of luck to you -- hope I'm reading it wrong.  I hate mental discomfort  YUCK  PUKE PUKE PUKE.    Yeah I'm just hitting post - no proof reading

I'm willing to bet some team takes him on to, at the very least, sell some merchandise/tickets while seeing if he can turn back the clock when he has something to prove.. The only way he isn't playing elsewhere next season is if he decides to hang them up, which he won't because he wants 700 wins badly

The one place he can't go next year is here in NJ. That ship needs to sail

I'm willing to bet some team takes him on to, at the very least, sell some merchandise/tickets while seeing if he can turn back the clock when he has something to prove.. The only way he isn't playing elsewhere next season is if he decides to hang them up, which he won't because he wants 700 wins badly

The one place he can't go next year is here in NJ. That ship needs to sail

Yep. Marty is an "attraction" type of pick up for teams that have trouble putting asses in the seats. Thing is, I dunno if Marty's pride would allow him to go to a team that's in that position as they're likely not going to contend.

I don't agree with those saying Montreal. I agree that it makes perfect sense considering his heritage, but Price/Budaj is a good tandem and who knows how far they go this year as it stands now. The only way I can see him going there is if they decide to trade one of those two, but its really unlikely. 

Don't count out Minnesota. Bryz is UFA and I could see them going to Marty to tandem with Backstrom. Harding is possibly done b/c of his MS.

A few thoughts:

- I don't get a team or a GM being desperate enough to bring in Brodeur for tickets/jersey/whatever else makes more money. Most importantly, I don't see that being the case. Marty Brodeur is not going to sell more tickets or sell more jerseys unless he is excellent and makes the team better. A 42-year-old goalie that is struggling on a bad team is not going to help anyone. This isn't Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux making a quick stop on a retirement tour, or even a 41-year-old and still very good Hasek stopping in Ottawa for a contender. 

- There is no way Brodeur is going to any other team knowing he will be the backup. Some guys are wired that way. Some guys can transition from being a very good goalie like a Vernon/Joseph to the backup role. Others can not.  That's not a knock on Brodeur. The man's been one of the greatest ever and is used to starting 70-78+ games his entire career. I don't think he ever wants to come back just for locker room camaraderie and to be around the game, and maybe get 15-20 games. He wants to be a difference maker like he has his entire career. This is a guy that was upset about playing only half the games this season. So a lesser role than that on a new team seems very unlikely.

- He wants to play for a winner. He really only knows winning in his career. Some guys can get used to losing and the atmosphere that goes with it. I don't think he ever has. So this leaves so few teams, and I am sure all of them will be looking at multiple possibilities before Brodeur if they wanted to upgrade their goaltending. And status quo would probably be a better option.

- There are a few people saying Montreal but that just seems like a very sad place I doubt he would entertain. They have one of the best goalies in the NHL. They don't need Brodeur, and he certainly doesn't need them to fulfill some career long dream. That dream would be sitting on the bench most of the season. That idea wouldn't excite any Habs fans either. Price's status is sky high there.

- The only situation I see for him (and I fvcking dread it) is him returning here. He knows Cory should be getting 65+ games. Lou probably knows it. But can Lou tell Marty, especially if there are no options out there, that we have a goalie and it is time to move on. I'm not so sure he can. Does Marty even want that? Well if he can get 30 games maybe he can talk himself into that role. But like CR1976 has said and many as well, just having Brodeur on this roster creates a ton of short and long-term problems. None of them are good.

Edited by devilsrule33

A few thoughts:

- I don't get a team or a GM being desperate enough to bring in Brodeur for tickets/jersey/whatever else makes more money. Most importantly, I don't see that being the case. Marty Brodeur is not going to sell more tickets or sell more jerseys unless he is excellent and makes the team better. A 42-year-old goalie that is struggling on a bad team is not going to help anyone. This isn't Wayne Gretzky or Mario Lemieux making a quick stop on a retirement tour, or even a 41-year-old and still very good Hasek stopping in Ottawa for a contender. 

- There is no way Brodeur is going to any other team knowing he will be the backup. Some guys are wired that way. Some guys can transition from being a very good goalie like a Vernon/Joseph to the backup role. Others can not.  That's not a knock on Brodeur. The man's been one of the greatest ever and is used to starting 70-78+ games his entire career. I don't think he ever wants to come back just for locker room camaraderie and to be around the game, and maybe get 15-20 games. He wants to be a difference maker like he has his entire career. This is a guy that was upset about playing only half the games this season. So a lesser role than that on a new team seems very unlikely.

- He wants to play for a winner. He really only knows winning in his career. Some guys can get used to losing and the atmosphere that goes with it. I don't think he ever has. So this leaves so few teams, and I am sure all of them will be looking at multiple possibilities before Brodeur if they wanted to upgrade their goaltending. And status quo would probably be a better option.

- There are a few people saying Montreal but that just seems like a very sad place I doubt he would entertain. They have one of the best goalies in the NHL. They don't need Brodeur, and he certainly doesn't need them to fulfill some career long dream. That dream would be sitting on the bench most of the season. That idea wouldn't excite any Habs fans either. Price's status is sky high there.

- The only situation I see for him (and I fvcking dread it) is him returning here. He knows Cory should be getting 65+ games. Lou probably knows it. But can Lou tell Marty, especially if there are no options out there, that we have a goalie and it is time to move on. I'm not so sure he can. Does Marty even want that? Well if he can get 30 games maybe he can talk himself into that role. But like CR1976 has said and many as well, just having Brodeur on this roster creates a ton of short and long-term problems. None of them are good.

Wanted to break up your points but I'm too lazy lol...

- Marty would absolutely sell more jerseys just by going to another team. On HF, before the deadline when Chicago had a scout at all of our games, many Blackhawks fans came out saying they'd basically have to buy a jersey or shirt if he went to their team. I mean, how many Jagr jerseys/shirts did we see at the start of the season? A ton, Devils Den sold out of them during the first preseason game and he hadn't done anything at that point. Brodeur is a legend, and especially if he goes to a big market team, people will buy merch just because it's cool to have a legend play for your team. Hell, what has Schneider done for us? I see a lot of gear with his name on it at games and he may only be here another season. If he went to a Pittsburgh/Montreal/Chicago, I'll guarantee that more Broduer jerseys/shirts sell next year than did this previous season.

- I think he definitely would (and will) go somewhere knowing he's a backup if it's the right situation. Would he go to a team with a solid starter knowing he won't get more than 20 games? No. But would he go to a team that offers him solid potential to get 30+ starts? I think so, because of my next point...

- At this point in his career, I see it being less about the team and more about Marty getting to 700 wins. He's said he wants that milestone, and I'll bet he goes to a team offering more starts over few starts but on a winner. Marty always talks about how, when he plays more, he can get into a rhythm. He would have a lot of pressure on himself if he goes to winner and only gets a few starts, with no back to back starts.

Totally agree though that the issues of having Marty on this team outweigh the positives. It simply can't happen

Yep. Marty is an "attraction" type of pick up for teams that have trouble putting asses in the seats. Thing is, I dunno if Marty's pride would allow him to go to a team that's in that position as they're likely not going to contend.

I don't agree with those saying Montreal. I agree that it makes perfect sense considering his heritage, but Price/Budaj is a good tandem and who knows how far they go this year as it stands now. The only way I can see him going there is if they decide to trade one of those two, but its really unlikely. 

Don't count out Minnesota. Bryz is UFA and I could see them going to Marty to tandem with Backstrom. Harding is possibly done b/c of his MS.

A Backstrom/Marty tandem might rival Soderstrom/Fichaud as one of the worst in league history. Kuemper looks to be shaping into an NHL goalie, so I don't see Minnesota going for Marty unless they buy out Backtrom, but that would seem counter-productive.

I don't know if Marty is really going to have a place to go. Most teams have a starter and backup that are already better than him. It would take a franchise willing to sacrifice wins for jersey sales and sports page coverage. Soooo the Leafs. Or the New York Jets.